Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,340 Members 43,274 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Potential bug?

Tip us?

android_nashville
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Potential bug?

Hi Team,

I am on about week three with my shield tab and it has been up and down. The up is that gaming is AMAZING. I don't even have a controller yet, on order from Newegg where they are in stock.

Now for the bad. I am on my second tablet. The first one I got from Newegg and had problems almost out of the gate. The best way to explain it is problems going to sleep and waking. I would push the power button and nothing would happen, push it again and it would freeze. When trying to wake up it just wouldn't do anything at all. I would reboot and it would work fine for a while. Talked to Nvidia customer service and after uploading videos to youtube and such they filed an RMA and sent me a brand new tablet in about two days!!

Now having the same problem to a MUCH less degree. After gaming, doing searches, browsing it has trouble going to sleep and waking. Once an app starts, no problem at all. No lag at all with gaming. JUST going to sleep and waking from sleep. Whenever there is a problem I restart the tablet and it moves smooth as silk for several hours until it does it again. I've tried closing apps all the time, doing RAM optimization with third party apps, nada. Seems to happen when I quickly go from running an app to sleep then awake again. I would blame in myself but I did the same exact actions with my Nexus 7 with no issues at all.

Help!

Gnurou
Old
Thanks Meter 50
You don't happen to have enabled ART instead of Dalvik in the Developer Settings, do you? I remember having similar issues when I did.

android_nashville
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnurou View Post
You don't happen to have enabled ART instead of Dalvik in the Developer Settings, do you? I remember having similar issues when I did.
No I don't but that is a great point. I switched over to ART to see if it would help and it got worse + a bunch of apps wouldn't work.

Thinking a very light custom rom would help but not sure I want to void my warranty by unlocking bootloader.

Gnurou
Old
Thanks Meter 50
After I reverted to Dalvik I found the tablet to be very stable, so I am out of clues here. Power saving settings maybe?

android_nashville
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnurou View Post
After I reverted to Dalvik I found the tablet to be very stable, so I am out of clues here. Power saving settings maybe?
I am running on max performance and noted its way better than battery optimized. I will keep trucking, its not that bad. Like I said, there is no app lag whatsoever, just sleep/wake issues. I just don't like rebooting 5x per day... even considered changing over to a Galaxy Tab S but am holding out.

abnormaIity
Old
Thanks Meter 2
This happend to me a lot. Then i screwed up and accidentally flashed my recovery to system. After re-flashing stock everything and cwm recovery and flashing the latest OTA it stopped.

cam30era
Old
Thanks Meter 431
Quote:
Originally Posted by android_nashville View Post

Thinking a very light custom rom would help but not sure I want to void my warranty by unlocking bootloader.
I know that most manufacturers state this. However, I was just reviewing Nvidia's warranty policy (below) and it does not specifically state that unlocking bootloader will void your warranty. It does appear to give them a lot of discretion, though.

"WHAT DOES THIS WARRANTY NOT COVER?

NVIDIA does not guarantee that the operation of the Warranted Product will be uninterrupted or error free. NVIDIA is not responsible for any interoperability or compatibility issues that may arise when (a) products, software, or options not supported by NVIDIA are used; (b) configurations not supported, provided or approved by NVIDIA are used; (c) parts intended for one system are installed in another system of different make or model. NVIDIA will have no warranty obligation with respect to the following: (a) Warranted Product hardware that has no defects in materials or workmanship, (b) software, games or applications, (c) cosmetic damage; (d) normal wear and tear; (e) expendable or consumable parts; (f) defects or damage to the Warranted Product arising from or related to: (1) any modifications, alterations, tampering, repair, or servicing by any party other than NVIDIA or its authorized representatives; (2) handling, transit, storage, installation, testing, maintenance, or use not in accordance with the Warranted Product documentation; (3) abuse, negligence, neglect, accidents, or misuse; (4) third party software or viruses; or software loss or data loss that may occur during repair or replacement; (5) fire or spillage of food or liquid, external electrical fault, or any acts of God (such as, but not limited to, lightning), or any other external factor.

NVIDIA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR DAMAGE TO OR LOSS OF ANY PROGRAMS, DATA, OR REMOVABLE STORAGE MEDIA. NVIDIA IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RESTORATION OR REINSTALLATION OF ANY PROGRAMS OR DATA OTHER THAN SOFTWARE INSTALLED BY NVIDIA WHEN THE PRODUCT IS MANUFACTURED.

Before returning any Warranted Product for service, it is recommended that you back up data and remove any confidential, proprietary, or personal information."