FORUMS
Remove All Ads from XDA

MightyText app questions, how is this working?

199 posts
Thanks Meter: 27

By andygold, Senior Member on 14th January 2016, 09:45 PM
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread Email Thread
Maybe more of a hardware question than an app question, but it happens with this particular app. I needed a texting app for my stock K1 running LP 5.1.1
I decided upon MightyText as I didn't want another phone number as some of the other apps provide. MightyText syncs my phone and the K1 within seconds. If I get a text to the phone, I get a notification on the tab within a second or two. Same happens if I send a text from the tablet, I get a notification on the phone again within a second or two. I realize that the phone is using it's cellular radio to send the text. Phone is a rooted LG Optimus G Pro running KK.

Here's where it gets strange! If I turn off WiFi and BT on the phone, when I write a text on the tablet and hit send, my phone receives and sends the text. WiFi and BT are still off. I looked to see if the app was somehow turning the radios on, on the phone, but it looks like they are staying off (unless they are coming on for a fraction of a second). I'm trying to figure out how the tablet is communicating with the phone if the radios are turned off. Also, the app has a phone icon. if I hit the phone icon on the tablet app, the phone makes a call to whoever I happened to be texting. I cannot talk through the tablet (I don't think), but the call does go through. I'm unsure what the functionality of this item is...why would I want the tablet to initiate a phone call when I cannot talk through the tablet?

23rd February 2016, 12:04 AM |#2  
Melbourne
Thanks Meter: 1

More
Phone radio you mean phone, internet (3G/4G) here?

Mighty text working through network/internet. I will take simple explanation like this. SMS -> your phone -> SMS send to mighty text service -> mighty text service passes it to your table. Similar your tablet sends the text -> text go to mighty text service -> Mightytext service passes it to your device AND to the receiver on your behalf.

MightyText function like a bridge to connect your phone and other device and running through the internet.
Once your device connects with MightyText service, MightyText will become a behalf assistant to receiving and send your message.

Thats mean your sensitive information will be readable by a 3rd person (or group person who know?)
The Following User Says Thank You to anunknwon For This Useful Post: [ View ] Gift anunknwon Ad-Free
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Guest Quick Reply (no urls or BBcode)