Or Continue to Thread: [Huawei IDEOS U8150] [ROM] bas…
Find Your Device:
6th January 2011, 10:02 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Flag SA
Thanks Meter: 108

267 posts
More
Angry [How to] install recovery and custom ROMs
I hold no responsibility to how you use or not use this info and if you brick phone - you do this at your own risk

Part 1 Installing Recovery ROM

Please refer to this post before flashing Recovery ROM - AmonRA Recovery 1.6.2 and BLUE Screen

The custom recovery allows you to do all sorts of lovely things such as installing ROM update zips (for the forthcoming custom ROMs), wiping various parts of the device, backing up and restoring and much more.

You can enter recovery mode - turn it off, then press the power button while holding the 'volume up' and 'send' (green).

Downloads
  • AmonRA Recovery 1.6.2 - DOWNLOAD (MediaFire Pro) / MIRROR (CoBlitz / ROMraid) - MD5: 65d4dcbbedb956a9f88dd1981fb31ef8

How to install - Windows, Linux and OSX
  • Download the recovery image of your choice above and extract the zip file
  • Put your device in bootloader mode - turn it off, then press the power button while holding the 'Volume Down' and 'End (Red)' keys
  • WINDOWS - double click 'install-recovery-windows.bat'
  • MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-mac.sh' followed by './install-recovery-mac.sh'
  • LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x install-recovery-linux.sh' followed by './install-recovery-linux.sh'

Part 2 Installing Custom ROM
Note: When using the Custom Recovery image use the Trackball to move up / down and press to select. Use the volume down button to go back.
  • Download a Custom ROM of your choice and place the ENTIRE ZIP (Do not extract it) onto the root of your SD card. By "Root" I mean do not place the file in any subfolders
  • Enter recovery mode - turn it off, then press the power button while holding the 'volume up' and 'send' (green).
  • From Custom Recover Main menu and select the 'Backup/Restore' option. Choose a 'Nand backup' and let it run it's course
  • Return to the Custom Recover Main menu and select the 'Wipe' option. Choose the First option 'Wipe data/factory reset' and confirm. <- this is optional after installing one of my ROMs. I personally have not bothered with it with my ROMs
  • Return to the Custom Recover Main menu and select the 'Flash zip from sdcard'. Select the custom rom you wish to flash, confirm and wait.

Part 3 Restoring back to original ROM
Note: Upgrade operations will erase the user data.
  • Find and Download ROM from Link provided on WiKi that you want to install
  • Copy the entire dload folder (with UPDATE.APP in it) to the root directory of the MICRO SD card.
  • Make sure your handset is power off. Insert the MICRO SD card into the handset. Pressing the END key and VOLUME UP key, and then press the POWER key to power on the phone and enter the Software Upgrade Mode.
  • You can see process bar start from 0 on the screen. (this take a few minutes)
  • Then the handset will restart automatically. Then it is OK.

Reference:
Part 1 info taken from here
Last edited by quail; 8th January 2011 at 05:50 AM. Reason: [ADDED] Part 3 Restoring back to original ROM
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to quail For This Useful Post: [ View ]