Thanks Meter 2059
Join Date: Sep 2010
DONATE TO ME
[DATA2SD] Flashable zips for converting any Rom to Data2SD
Ahem...First, a small recommendation. If you want a Stock Rooted ROM with most features of every other ROM out there, but with full Data2SD support, and best stability,
Checkout SuperNova ROM! for GingerBread
StarBurst ROM! for Froyo
Now, to get on to Data2SD installation for the rest of the ROMs..
If you havent read Sibere's entire OP, I urge you to read it completely before embarking on Data2SD installation. This is not a shortcut to the code. This is just a method of making it easier.
Once again, to recapitulate, A rooted Rom with Busybox and init.d support, and which has a kernel supporting ext4 is an absolute requirement for using Data2SD. Note also that by default the stock rooted rom neither has Busybox, init.d or kernel support for ext4. If your Rom doesnt satisfy any of these conditions, you can't use the following zips/the code method.
Updated Instructions and Zips (14/Mar/2011)
Warning: The flashable zips will fail on the new Gingerbread Sense Roms (leaked Roms). They need manual modification, which I'm too busy to do atm.. The manual command line scripts should work.. However you need a kernel with ext4 support!
I've streamlined the installation procedure so as to make it more generic and compatible with the newer StarBurst zips.
Basic Installation Steps for Data2SD
If you're interested in the StarBurst Data2SD versions (Sibere's beta and the latest updates, visit the StarBurst site.
- Install your ROM
- Install the A2SD Killer (specific for your ROM)
- Next step differs depending on whether you're reflashing your Rom on an existing install, or whether you are installing for the first time.
- If you're installing the ROM for the first time:
- Reboot once after running the A2SD Killer
- Setup the timezone, language etc (But not your Google Account/Market)
- Reboot to recovery once again and install the Data2SD Installer
- If you're reflashing the ROM (after having installed Data2SD once previously)
- Do not reboot after running the A2SD Killer
- Install the Data2SD Re-Installer right away
- Now reboot.
Impressed? Of course it is so much easier to install Data2SD on StarBurst since it is integrated with Data2SD and most compatible with it. But of course, StarBurst is our Rom and I might as well be praising it too much! )
Download Links (Newer version)
Older Instructions (For versions prior to "EverythingData2SD version 11")
Current Version of the Data2SD Flashable zips for Sibere's Data2SD: v5
Differences in this version:
Fully supports Cyanogen
Fully supports Clockworkmod3.0+ (Edified)
I wanted to consolidate all the flashable zips for Data2SD into one place, so that I will find it easy to update the links as I modify the scripts, and to also help Sibere to point his link to this post from OP, so that he doesnt need to reupload each file as they are modified.
Once again, I must assert that Data2SD is totally Sibere's work with other devs who've developed Data2SD code of their own. In my opinion, however, this is the best!
My contribution is conversion of his excellent code into flashable scripts which may be installed via Recovery. So you dont have to type out the code.
The flashable zip is packed as a package of zip files. Each zip file within the package is seperate flashable zip
There are the following files:
Installer and Reinstaller files for Sense Roms
Installer and Reinstaller files for AOSP Roms and CM7 nightlies (excluding Cyanogen 6 and MIUI, but including Cyanogen 7 nightlies)
Installer and Reinstaller files for Cyanogen 6 and MIUI (Not for CM7 nightlies)
A2SD Script Remover (Common for Sense or AOSP Roms with built in A2SD)
Whether you are trying this method for Sense or AOSP Roms, the installation procedure is same. Only the file is different.
How to Install Sibere's Data2SD using simple flashable zips:
1. Data2SD Installer (Installation script)
Scenario: Installing Data2SD for the first time
2. Data2SD Re-Installer (Installation script)
- Complete wipe
- Install any Rom (which satisfies the requirements of Data2SD listed in the OP and recapitulated above) through recovery
- Once the Rom installation finishes, without leaving Recovery, immediately flash the A2SD Killer flashable zip.If flashed on a non-A2SD Rom, the flash wont do any harm.
- Now reboot once into Android desktop. (If the system fails to boot at this point, it means that some exotic A2SD script is lurking beneath.). Do NOT, I repeat, DO NOT install any applications on first install. Do not even enter the Android Market!
- Once you confirm that the Rom boots fine, Reboot into Recovery once again
- Now flash the Data2SD Installer zip. After it finishes installing, boot into Android and enjoy Data2SD
This is done if you have already run the Data2SD installation procedure once and have not wiped/formatted your system after that. In case you reflashed your Rom at any point, the Data2SD libararies in your system would be lost and Data2SD lost. In this case if you boot after a simple reflash of the Rom, it most likely will go into a bootloop. So follow the procedure below:
- Do not wipe unless you purposefully want to erase your data (If you wipe, you will have to use the previous method and Data2SD INstaller not REinstaller)
- Install the previous Rom through recovery (You shouldnt install another Rom over the previous Rom without a wipe unless absolutely sure that it is fully compatible with the previous Rom.)
- Without leaving Recovery (Without rebooting), immediately flash the A2SD Killer flashable zip.If flashed on a non-A2SD Rom, the flash wont do any harm.
- Without leaving Recovery (Without rebooting), flash the Data2SD Re-Installer zip. After it finishes installing, boot into Android and enjoy Data2SD
Roms which have been tested to support Data2SD flashable zips:
Probably a lot of other Roms do support it. These are the ones I've personally tested with my zips.
- StarBurst (Comes with Sibere's Data2SD support out of the box)
- Aurax T Sense
- Leedroid-both versions
- Oxygen-Gingerbread and Froyo
- Cyanogen-All versions upto 7
- Cyanogen Nightlies 7 -extremely compatible. But you have to use the aosp version, not the CM6 version
- Stock HTC Rom like teppic74's if a kernel with ext4 support is added (Also see all basic requirements)
- Baadnews HD
- Coolexe HD and Z
If you use it on aosp, be forewarned. Accoording to Sibere, these dont cleanly unmount the fs, so there might be an increased chance of DataCorruption..
Note that most HD Roms (with the exception of Badnewz and Coolexe Roms) that use A2SD for splitting the /system partition will break when A2SD Killer is applied, and in most instances Data2SD cannot be easily installed on these Roms. It is possible to manually modify the Rom zip to add Data2sd, but it depends on the fervour shown by the Rom dev to add Data2SD