[TUTORIAL][GSM] How To Install Overcome v1.4.4
With all the confusion/confliction going on, I thought I would put together a Tutorial on here for anyone wishing to install the Overcome ROM on their Galaxy Tab. These instructions can also be used for preparing a new tab for any CWM Ready ROM.
These Instructions use ODIN, so Windows is Required, not my personal choice there, but most users use Windows so I figured that would be best for a Tutorial.
As usual, I am not responsible for your tab breaking, bricking, exploding, setting the world on fire, etc. Although none of that should happen.
NOTE: This is for the GSM GT-P1000. It will not work successfully with CDMA tabs or GT-P1000L/N tabs.
First off, Pre-Installation Preparation.
1. Make sure to have Samsung Kies installed, and your tab at least connected once, to be sure the drivers are correct.
2. Your Tab must be Rooted.
3. If you wish to do a backup, now is the time.
4. You will need to have enough space on your Internal Storage to perform the backup and hold the ROM. 4gb should be a lot more than enough.
5. Download and Extract the following file to your computer: http://www.corodius.com/android/galaxytabock213.zip
(Contains "Odin3 v.1.7.exe" "Overcome_Kernel_v2.1.3")
6. Download Overcome v1.4.4 FULL and put it onto your Internal Storage. http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=932082
Now, we will Install the Kernel and perform the EXT4 filesystem conversion.
1. Turn off your Galaxy Tab.
2. Turn your Galaxy Tab on into DOWNLOAD mode (Press Volume DOWN and Power On at the same time).
3. Open Odin3 v1.7.exe on your PC.
4. Connect your Galaxy Tab to your PC via the USB cable.
5. Make Sure the ID:COM box is highlighted yellow (meaning it sees your tab).
6. Click on the PDA button and select the Overcome_Kernel_v2.1.3_ODIN.tar file you downloaded earlier (make sure PDA is ticked after selecting the file).
7. The only boxes ticked should be:
A. Auto Reboot
B. F. Reset Time
C. The PDA tickbox
8. Click start and wait for PASS! to show highlighted green on Odin.
9. Your Galaxy Tab will Reboot, and a sexy robot voice will guide you as The Galaxy Tab performs the EXT4 conversion.
10. Sit tight, depending on how much data you have, this can take quite a long time.
11. Once finished, click reboot system now (by pressing the power button).
At this point, You have installed the Overcome Kernel with CWM included and converted the Filesystem to EXT4. It has been reported that many stock ROMs will boot and run fine now, however some may not, but it just depends on your ROM etc. This is why I said to have the ROM ready on your Internal Storage before starting.
Finally, onto the ROM itself.
1. Turn your Galaxy Tab off.
2. Turn your Galaxy Tab on into RECOVERY mode (Press Volume UP and Power On at the same time).
3. Select backup and restore (volume keys to navigate, power button to select).
4. Select backup and wait for it to finish. (This is a Nandroid Backup of your ROM, you can choose to restore this to restore your Original rom.)
5. Select Go Back.
6. Select Wipe Data/Factory Reset.
7. Select Yes, and wait for it to finish.
8. Select Wipe Cache Partition.
9. Select Yes, and wait for it to finish.
10. Go To Advanced.
11. Select Wipe Dalvik Cache.
12. Select Yes, and wait for it to finish.
10. Select Go Back.
11. Now, Select install zip from sdcard.
12. Select choose zip from sdcard.
13. Select the ROM zip you put on your Internal Storage earlier.
14. Select Yes, and wait for it to apply the ROM. (If using Overcome v1.4.1 with included Kernel, the screen will flash during this time. This is normal.)
15. Select Go Back, to return to the Main Menu.
16. Select reboot system now.
That's it! Your system will now boot into Overcome v1.4.4
Many thanks to Alterbridge86 for his absolutely awesome work on the Overcome ROM and Kernel, and Rachid from Droid-Den for his original How-To for MoDaCo's rom/kernel which got me up and running, and which I used as a starting point for my own.
EDIT: The Guide is now updated to use Overcome Kernel for the entire Installation, and removed the unnecessary files.
EDIT2: Updated for Overcome v1.4.4
EDIT3: Updated to use the new Overcome Kernel v2.1.3