[Q] USB Host support(solved)

Search This thread

rigy73

Feb 25, 2011
GGN
Does nook color have usb host support??
Has anybody tested it?
If not, is any body working on it coz hardware definitely supports at least usb 1.3.

Edit: the applications are endless
usb drives,external hdd, internet data cards depnding on drivers avaliblity u can attach any hardware and ditch ur notebook.

EDIT 2 : Verygreen has it working
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bovg4aBFnA8
I can't thank you enough for this green, i wanted this really bad, that's why decided to look into it too(that didn't work out too well though:)).

Last edited:

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
Looking at the nook color teardown, it seems the nook has a chipset which SHOULD support USB OTG, but it would required the drivers and OS supporting it as well.

UCChemE05

Aug 21, 2010
Personally I think bluetooth support will be the closest we'll get (at least for quite a while)

bswett

Jan 24, 2011
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 5
I'd like to be able to ditch my laptop while running around the Gulf of Mexico. Between helicopter weight limits and the limits of what I can carry swinging from boats to platforms. Less is more. Id like to carry my nook and ext. Hard drive for movies.

zoom2

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
btw, those eager to try external keyboard already can give it a try with all the BT progress made by fattire (the real hero).

Since I want to stay on the safe side myself, I compiled this 2G SD image that you can boot into and have working bluetooth (keyboard and external audio confirmed working). Of course use at your own risk and such:

htt p:// handhelds.ru/nook/2g_bt_card_image.img.gz

go to settings -> wireless & networks
make sure that bluetooth is enabled and then you can explore and pair devices in "bluetooth settings" there.

Range so far is in the area of 13", so usable for a keyboard at least.

Divine_Madcat

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 9, 2005
USA
btw, those eager to try external keyboard already can give it a try with all the BT progress made by fattire (the real hero).

Since I want to stay on the safe side myself, I compiled this 2G SD image that you can boot into and have working bluetooth (keyboard and external audio confirmed working). Of course use at your own risk and such:

make sure that bluetooth is enabled and then you can explore and pair devices in "bluetooth settings" there.

May i ask about this image... is it Froyo or Gingerbread (CM7)? Working BT sounds great, but a bit more info couldn't hurt..

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
BTW, it's the image used by IOMonster in that video from yesterday that you referenced in the BT progress thread (I just don't have enough posts to actually post to dev forum ;) I originally wanted to reference it there sine it seems people are eager to play with thing at least somewhat).

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
Since I cannot still post in development forum, for those who try the image and it does not work, I had some problems if you d oa soft reboot from other image into SD.
Try powering off your nook and then booting from SD.

Also if that did not work, you might want to change /system/etc/wifi/tiwlan.ini
(you need to remount /system read-write first of course)
look for BThWlanCoexistEnable = 2 line
change it to BThWlanCoexistEnable = 1
save the file
power off the nook again and then turn it back on and boot from SD.

webvan

May 20, 2008
just write what fits and then reformat 4th partition as fat.
the fat partition is empty anyway.
that way you can even write to 1g sdcard if you must, the fat sdcard partition would just be really small.
I only have a 1Gb card handy right now so that would be great, what the best way to right that? Would Win32DiskImager do the job for writing? Not sure about the reformating part though. Thanks !

verygreen

Feb 13, 2011
TN
linuxhacker.ru
I only have a 1Gb card handy right now so that would be great, what the best way to right that? Would Win32DiskImager do the job for writing? Not sure about the reformating part though. Thanks !

I am not familiar with windows tools, sorry.
I imagine whatever you use to write the image will just write as much as it can and then abort
after this happens, start a tool you use to manage partitions on windows (volume manager? I dunno, used to be fdisk in DOS and Windows95 days).
point it at the SD card.
Tell it to delete the last partition.
Then tell it to create another partition on SD card that would span the rest of the free space and set the type to fat.
If a separate format is required, I imagine there would be a way to then format this new partition.

n8mack33

Oct 7, 2007
I'd like to be able to ditch my laptop while running around the Gulf of Mexico. Between helicopter weight limits and the limits of what I can carry swinging from boats to platforms. Less is more. Id like to carry my nook and ext. Hard drive for movies.

zoom2

This would be great for me once someone get video working properly (no audio delay). Right now I would have to reencode all the video I have which is too much work.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Any thoughts on what it will take to see this integrated into CM7, or achieved with an app?

Well, I need to figure out how to write an app to control the mode (we cannot depend on the cable since some smart head at B&N decided to not connect ID pin in the connector to the twl chip) + the kernel side of things needs some extra massaging (it's all pretty hacky at the moment, could be done much cleaner).
    I'd think a couple of weeks is realistic.
    1.86GB .img doesnt fit on 1.84GB SD Card...bummer.

just write what fits and then reformat 4th partition as fat.
    the fat partition is empty anyway.
    that way you can even write to 1g sdcard if you must, the fat sdcard partition would just be really small.
    Testing packages are now available at http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1105497

The brave souls could do some of their own testing.