Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyelliott View Post
I'm trying to get my Vario II to act as a modem to my laptop using the phone's 3G connection.

I eventually located the "generic modem" driver files to permit the phone to act as a modem to my laptop but I don't know what to do next. I've installed the driver and Windows (XP) reports that the generic modem is installed and working OK.

The downloaded files also included a program called "HTC USB Modem" and when I run this I am asked for a Username and password - and I haven't a clue what I should enter since I don't normally have to enter anything on my phone to access 3G.

Can anyone tell me how to proceed? Or tell me another way to get my phone to act as a modem to my laptop?

Cheers.

Bobby
Bobby,

Let's try and get this working for you. I assume that you are on a T-mobile Web & Walk package and want to use the Vario II as a modem for the laptop to allow a data connection via your T-mobile 3G and GPRS access? If this is so then here goes:

- Configuring WModem on Vario II - Go to Programs and select the WModem option. select Menu - APN Settings. Ensure 'Preset GPRS connections' is ticked and in the APN box enter 'general.t-mobile.uk' then click Done.

- Modem configuring - you seem already to have done this as you have installed the drivers and say it is working - that means you also know how to start the "wireless modem" function on the Vario II in programs.

- Forget about the HTC USB Modem software - just create a new Windows XP 'connection'. I found that this software just added a level of complexity and it meant that you had to enter settings (usernames and password) manually each time.

- Create a Windows Connection on the laptop/PC:
- go to 'show all connections' then click 'create a new connection' (or follow the new connection wizard if this view is what you use).
- Select 'Connect to the Internet', then 'Set up my connection manually' then 'connect using a dial-up modem' then in the ISP Name box that comes next enter something of use like 'Vario II (T-Mob) Connection'
- In phone number enter *99#
- In username enter 'general.t-mobile.uk'
- In the password fields enter 'one2one'
- Consider unticking the bottom 2 options for default and allow all users...
- Save all the settings so far and close the wizard and dismiss the dial-up that appears.

- Change Dial-up Settings - You have created a Vario II dial-up for use by the laptop but you need to ensure that the dial-up uses the Vario II 'HTC USB Modem' and not the built-in laptop/PC modem:
- Start WModem - with the Vario docked or USB connected (and activesync running OK) start the WModem (from programs) by selecting Menu - Start. This should stop activesync automatically and then your laptop/PC should see the HTC USB Modem (the Vario II with the WModem running).
- On the laptop/PC go into your available connections and right-mouse select properties on the new Vario II connection. In the first (general) tab under 'Connect Using' select/tick the entry for the Vario II modem that should read 'Modem - HTC USB Modem (COM#)' - where COM# is the com port automatically set by the laptop/PC. Check the phone number. Make sure that any other modem is unticked.
That should be about it and all should now work! To use the connection just set-up turn off your wireless network or unplug the network cable, then connect the Vario II with the USB lead, then start WModem (the program and menu-start!) on the Vario II, then on the laptop just double-click the connection that you created. Note that the laptop/PC will display the data connection established to the Vario II not your 3G/GPRS connection speed. I changed the settings on my Vario II USB Modem to increase the maximum speed of the connection (to the modem only) to 921600bps and also checked the Hardware features were all ticked.

Hope this helps - let me know if you have a problema and I'd be glad to help more. The connection works seemlessly on my laptop and basic surfing and e-mail is really quite fast - way quicker than a 56k dial-up that we all used to have!

Regards
Tony
HTC One
Android Revolution HD