Or Continue to Thread: Spirit1, Spirit2 Real FM Radio…
Find Your Device:
1st May 2011, 10:38 PM   |  #3  
OP Recognized Developer
Flag Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Thanks Meter: 3,339

6,514 posts
Donate to Me
More
Galaxy S GT-I9000 speaker damage risk:

EDIT Feb 12, 2014: I still get occasional reports of speaker damage, about 1 every 3-4 months. Nothing can be done I'm afraid...

EDIT May 20, 2013: One person has reported damage with digital audio mode. Virtually everything is different in this mode, so I can't imagine why it would happen. The only audio commonality is the analog outputs feeding into the inputs of the audio chip.

Quote:

March 23, 2013: See end of post for a potential digital audio solution. Digital audio is normally an Unlocked exclusive feature, but on Galaxy S it is available for Free users.

There is a risk of speaker damage on Galaxy S GT-i9000 when running custom ICS or JB ROMs.

If you've been running Spirit for at least 10-40 hours with no problem, your risk is minimal. I think this is hardware related and about 1-5 % are susceptible. I get about 1 report every 3 weeks now.

Avoiding use of the speaker or keeping volume low does not help. Risk may increase when using USB cables to PCs or chargers or external amplifiers.

If you are worried about Galaxy S speaker damage, then DO NOT use Spirit, unless on CM7 or a stock derived ROM. Use GB ROMs with proven safe FM, get a new phone, or just live without FM.

Unless you are familar with ALSA programming, Ioctls and low level Linux/Android kernel stuff, as well as DC servos in amplifiers, please do not think you have useful technical advice to give about what I should study. I've spent at least 400 hours on this problem, with no analog solution.

Have Damage ?:
If you've had GalaxyS speaker damage, and are a BRAVE do it yourselfer, here are some Ebay links for speakers and instructions on replacing them: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=2355 All responsibility for any problems doing this is yours.

Ringer/Buzzer Speakers are available on Ebay new for $6 shipped, or $8 refurbished shipped from the US to the US.

I'm very sorry for any problems. I had no idea this problem would happen or go on this long. It's rare that software causes hardware damage.

If you're angry, or think my dev skills are sub-par, please refer me to the secret documents for FM audio via Galaxy S ALSA controls. There is none. I've read the code for various audio libraries, and the ALSA drivers, many times, and though the March 4th, 2012 attempt seemed a virtual duplicate of the CM7 audio lib, the problem continued.

If you've been affected, please email me at mikereidis@gmail.com to report.

Thanks, and sorry for any troubles.

Hopeful Digital Audio Solution:

Using digital audio mode likely reduces or eliminates the risk. As of March 23, 2013, it's too early to tell.

EDIT May 20: One person has reported damage with digital audio mode. Virtually everything is different in this mode, so I can't imagine why it would happen. The only audio commonality is the analog outputs feeding into the inputs of the audio chip.

On first Spirit startup, or after clearing app data, you are presented with a choice of "Digital" or "Danger". Choose "Digital". If running Unlocked, restart Spirit to enable Visualizations and a record button.

You can also set Menu-> Settings-> Audio-> Method to "Digital Auto" or "Digital GS1", both near the end of the list.

If you hear interrupted high frequency "chipmunk" sounds, rebooting may help, at least until the microphone is used (but phone calls OK ?).

If a reboot doesn't help, you can disable Digital-> Stereo and do Pause / Play. Audio is now mono of course, so you might as well set Audio-> Output Mode (or Channels next release) to "Mono Force".

More chipmunk info: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...postcount=5696

Battery consumption may be a bit higher using digital. Unlocked uses substantially more CPU & battery when visualization is on screen, and when equalizers, effects and Bluetooth are in use.
Last edited by mikereidis; 12th February 2014 at 02:32 PM.
The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to mikereidis For This Useful Post: [ View ]