I installed the .cab on M$ WM6 Smartphone emu after unlocking it with the security manager. The error is now: "Alert: Can't find 'StreamingPlayer' (or one of its components) Make sure the path and filename are correct and that all the required libraries are available".
So now we know the player requires dll runtime libraries which are not provided on all devices. Very likelely one or more HTC .dll files.
Will take a closer look.
Following .dll files are required by StreamPlayer.exe and not available in the emulator and on other devices such as Moto Q (I think):
Will try to copy them from the S710.
Okay, I've put the files in the attached .zip file.
Unzip it and copy files to the \Windows directory of your device.
Careful: if you are prompted to overwrite a file say no. Only copy the files which aren't present yet
I have tested this in the WM6 Smartphone emu. The player starts fine. Unfortunately I can't open a stream (network not found), but I believe this is because UDP protocol is not supported via activesync (only TCP is) or because of issues with my firewall.