New OTA: EE4 - Tons of Fixes

Search This thread

jdmbaldwin

Sep 14, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I've come from Moto devices as well and I have to say these are simple to mess with IMO. Day I got it I charged it grabbed the 1clikc root and was done and ready to move forward. From there grabbed ODIN and the ED2 rooted file flashed it and away we went.

And I temporarily bricked mine just trying to get root. (Eventually unbricked and rooted, thankfully.) Now the phone has all kinds of FC problems like I never saw on my Droid or Droid X. I may well just be grousing and really am not trying to pick a fight... just saying that my mileage has varied.

I would seriously think about your Bionic purchase tho. Currently it is still a POS from what I'm told as the software is terrible on it, and battery life is worse then the tBolt. That said being a diehard Moto guy for 20 yrs there is no way in heck I'm buying there first version of a dual core/LTE device. Plus if the bootloader is locked again with no option to unlock like the XOOM has Moto can keep it.

This is such a good point I just had to kick some kudos your way. First-gen Android devices by any manufacturer have tended towards the craptastic. It's actually something I've said myself, when not frustrated and looking for greener pastures. There is much wisdom in these words; enough to make me quit Googling "droid bionic release date" at least until I independently decide whether I'll be sticking with the Charge. Since my other option is the Revolution -- well-liked by some but also not blowing me away -- I really do need to think this through carefully.

To be honest, at present I'm sort of wondering what I need root for. Since I can't make CWM backups, and with LauncherPro I'm not noticing the lag that evidently needs fixing, really the only thing I'd use it for is for Titanium Backup and to freeze/remove bloatware. If I can get myself to a stable device, while I'll miss backing up all my data, and will be annoyed in principle at an unrooted device, I don't think it'll really impact my day-to-day existence all that much. Hmm...

Jumpie

Mar 28, 2005
It's EE4, not ED4, but I know what you mean. You can accept the OTA update in your scenario, but you'll lose root until the rooted version, or a rooting utility, is released.

This is all still new to me. Here's my scenario.
I'm running root from Odin on ED1. The OTA update says it's ED2. But it's really EE4?

If it is ED2, and I install the OTA, I lose root. But then I can get the OTA to EE4 and then just wait for root?

ralth

Jun 11, 2011
How to get root on EE4?

So, I did ED1 -> rooted ED1 -> ota ED2 -> update.zip EE4.

I'd like to get root back. I've seen various references to voodoo/lagfix, but I can't seem to find details on how to install that on top of EE4. Can someone please point me to the right place, or explain what I need to do?

Thanks!

rjcormier

Jun 2, 2011
new orleans
I just tried ota to see and checked rooted apps and still had superuser.
Please confirm that yes you were rooted on stock ed1 when you took the ota and were still rooted. I would love this to be so...just doesnt line up with what the devs are advising, thanks in advance

Last edited:

elucid

Jun 5, 2011
Please confirm that yes you were rooted on stock ed1 when you took the ota and were still rooted. I would love this to be so...just doesnt line up with what the devs are advising, thanks in advance

I can confirm this does work. I downgraded to stock ED1 root, then accepted the EE4 update and I still had root.

It doesn't really matter thought because you can just flash a kernel to get root. I wanted the kernel anyways for the RFS to EXT4.

psalm462

May 30, 2009
Franklin, Ohio
I was rooted ED1 with gingerbreak and did the newest update EE4. It acted as if it was taking the update, but nothing changed.
Firmware: 2.2.1
baseband: i510.06 v.ED1
shc-I510.ED1
kernel 2.6 =,32,9
se.infra@SEI-28 #1
Build Number: sch-I510.ED2

Any thoughts as to why it didn't take it?

>DARKMAN<

Dec 31, 2010
Chisago City, MN
I was rooted ED1 with gingerbreak and did the newest update EE4. It acted as if it was taking the update, but nothing changed.
Firmware: 2.2.1
baseband: i510.06 v.ED1
shc-I510.ED1
kernel 2.6 =,32,9
se.infra@SEI-28 #1
Build Number: sch-I510.ED2

Any thoughts as to why it didn't take it?

It did take an update, it took ED2
If you look at build, it says ED2
So it didn't update to EE4, but to ED2

Mac999

Apr 16, 2011

Yes, ditto, please. Would love to OTA update to EE4 from a gingerbreak'd EE1 and keep root. Thanks!

hoppermi

Feb 7, 2011
Yes, ditto, please. Would love to OTA update to EE4 from a gingerbreak'd EE1 and keep root. Thanks!

you will lose root by updating, but its not too hard to reroot after. If you had updated SU from market it will still be on your phone but won't work. I recommend backing up w/ titainium backup and then factory reset b4 updating.
Then get your root back by ODIN CWM and flashing imnuts pbj kernel of choice, or odin jt1134"s kernel if you want stock kernel+voodoo.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK fellas... I'm not a dev by any means, but my internal contact at VZW gave me a heads up on a new OTA coming out tonight. EE4 is supposed to fix an entire laundry list of issues, so we just need someone with the skills to obtain it and convert it for those of us on Voodoo.

Copied from http://support.vzw.com/system_update/charge.html:

Verizon Wireless is pleased to announce a new software update,
    EE4, for your DROID CHARGE by Samsung..

Verizon Wireless and Samsung encourage you to download this update.

Call Features
    • Improved battery life when placing a voice call.
    • Easily return calls within the call log entry by pressing the phone icon.
    • Outgoing calls from the Visual Voice Mail application will be placed properly.
    • Pressing and holding the ‘1’ key will automatically route the user to the Voice Mail service (*86).
    • Audio has been adjusted to avoid ‘No Audio’ or ‘Screeching Sounds’.

Web Browsing and Data Access
    • Accurately detect and connect to the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE or 3G network.
    • Enhanced browser performance.
    • Email and Messaging
    • A new Email folder structure has been implemented.
    • When a subfolder exists under a current Email folder, an arrow will appear to the right of the folder icon.
    • When a user touches the arrow, the folder system will expand to show all subfolders available for selection.
    • When an Exchange password has been modified, the device will direct the user to the password screen to adjust the saved password accordingly.
    • Improvements in the Email and Calendar sync.
    • Additional Device Features
    • Restoration of Mobile Hotspot capability.
    • When in USB Mass Storage mode (UMS), the device will be recognized immediately when plugged into a PC.
    • Device recognizes ringtones purchased from the Verizon Wireless website.
    • Improvements in GPS performance.

For step-by-step instructions on how to perform the download,
    please visit verizonwireless.com/droidchargesupport
    DROID CHARGE
    by Samsung
    Its been rooted and voodood on the irc

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA Premium App
    Yea it is because after the update I am showing the version running on my phone is now EE4. I can confirm some things feel a little bit snappier, also wireless tether now works again along with some minor updates to the reception icon.
    Has anybody tried accepting the update on a lagfix-disabled, rooted ED2 phone? I'm on vacation, and really don't want to brick my phone when I can't Odin it back to goodness, but would love some mobile hotspot and better GPS lovin'. If it's not to be, though, I can wait until I get back.

As long as you have stock recovery and no lagfix it should update fine. Cwm recovery will block install.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk