Or Continue to Thread: [OC] Tegrak Overclock for Gala…
Find Your Device:
22nd June 2011, 05:58 PM   |  #531  
Flag Rennes
Thanks Meter: 61

57 posts
Donate to Me
More
Hello,

After some day to day testing, here is what I think are the best methods to tune Tegrak Overclock :
sorry for my poor english, I am french

ADVICES
  • First of all, no matter how high your max frequency is, you have to put a low voltage @200Mhz. This is for battery life when your screen is off.
    You can try 800mV@200Mhz but on my device 825mV@200Mhz is 100% stable (I mean never EVER crash with no reason)
  • When your screen is on, most of the time (if using it), the frequency will be at max. So, if you plan on high frequency (like 1500+), your battery WILL drain faster.
    At high voltages (IE high frequencies), the difference is easily noticeable.
  • More than 1500Mhz is almost useless. The phone is already smooth at 1200-1300 and there are no lag at all. You will drain your battery for nothing more than your happiness to be at that frequency.
  • For games, prefer tweaking the max frequency of the GPU. Tegrak permit it, so use it ! It will be better for battery life when you are not playing games.
  • Don't forget to unlock your GPU freq after playing games like Asphalt 6. GPU drain more battery when locked at 267Mhz.
  • About Internal Voltage. I recommend to not scale it like Core Voltage because the difference between 850 and 1100mV is low on battery (I didn't notice a difference).
    For my device, I permit 25mV difference between each frequencies (950->1075). Also, it's easier to crash your phone at low frequencies.

SETTINGS

CPU Level 4 - 200 Mhz
This is the critical setting of your phone because it will be most of the day at it (when your screen is off).
No matter what are your other settings, I recommend 825mV but you can try 800mV. Most of the phones will crash at less.

(Note : I have seen that if your max frequency is very high (1500+), it will be more difficult to put 825mV@200Mhz. I don't know why but on my phone, I had to put between 850 and 900mV when max frequency were more than 1500Mhz. If you are experiencing the same thing, please share !)

Naphtaline recommends : 825mV@200Mhz

CPU Level 3, 2 and 1 - 500, 800 and 1000 Mhz
500, 800 and 1000 Mhz are frequencies who are used when you are using your smartphone normally : sending sms, using web browser, using home screen, etc.
But, in fact, the max frequency is more often used.
You can see that by yourself with a cpu frequency monitor (setcpu can do that). Just put your finger on the screen and you'll see that the frequency go max just for getting your finger position (like crypticc said, this is visible only for "on demand" governor).

Anyway, theses frequencies are important because the phone will grind on them very often. So the voltage have to be low but not as accuracy as @200Mhz.

With a calculator, you can scale the voltage on frequencies and then adjust for your device.

Just remember that trying to put the lowest voltages on theses frequencies is pointless because you will increase your chance of crash.

Naphtaline recommends : 900mV@500Mhz, 975mV@800Mhz and 1100mV@1000Mhz

CPU Level 0 - 1200 Mhz and higher
This CPU level is for overclocking. If you just want to stay at stock clock, you'll have to do the same as @200Mhz : As low as possible.

So, there are three school for tuning here.

School of battery life
You want the best battery life no matter what the max frequency you can get.
First, you have to find your lowest voltage @1200Mhz. Mine is 1200mV 100% stable (1175Mhz is ok but crashed one time on testings)
Then, you can try to increase your frequency to find what is your max frequency for this voltage.
As 1Mhz is nothing in performance, add 10Mhz every morning until you got a crash and go back to last frequency until it never crash anymore.

For my device, it's 1200mV@1270Mhz.

School of performance
You want really noticeable better performance than stock and don't want your phone to overheat.
In my opinion, 1500Mhz is the point.
So, method is the same. Put 1500Mhz and try at 1350mV first. If it's okay after a day, try to lower the voltage 1325, 1300 (if your device is ok at less than 1300mV@1500Mhz, you got a gold CPU^^)
When you got a crash, go back to last voltage until it never crash anymore.

School of the biggest
You want :
- A kickass smartphone no matter battery consumption is AND no matter your cpu life will suffer
- The best frequency your smartphone can beat

Start by putting 1500mV at the Core Voltage. DO NOT try to do the same with Internal Voltage. 1100mV~1150mV is good.
Next, try to start at 1700Mhz and increase by 100Mhz every hour. Between each test, do not keep your screen off. You can run a benchmark or playing games.
Your phone will heat so be careful ! At this point, this is a little risky. You cpu may burn and die (I am not responsible blah blah...). Normally he can't (he will crash before) but who knows.
When your phone crash, just go back to last frequency until it never crash anymore.
Later, you can tune the frequency by steps of 10Mhz but well... Does it really matter ?

I didn't tune a lot on this, but for my device, I can raise at 1500mV@1700Mhz with no errors.

Naphtaline recommends : 1200mV@1250Mhz
Last edited by Naphtaline; 22nd June 2011 at 08:15 PM.
The Following 57 Users Say Thank You to Naphtaline For This Useful Post: [ View ]