[HOWTO] (moto-fastboot) Flash a build on an unlocked Atrix

Search This thread

ahmarchi

Aug 20, 2008
Greensboro
can someone explain the diefference between the FASTBOOT file we used for unlocking the bootloader, and the MOTO-FASTBOOT we use to install these partitions?

romracer

Apr 4, 2010
Kansas City
Here is a MinGW32 compiled version that does not require the Cygwin DLLs. I compiled it using the following command:

Code:
gcc -D_WIN32 -static -o moto-fastboot.exe usb_windows.c util_windows.c fastboot.c protocol.c engine.c bootimg.c ../libzipfile/zipfile.c ../libzipfile/centraldir.c -lz AdbWinApi.a -I../include -I../libzipfile -I../mkbootimg

I had to install the standard MinGW / MSYS setup along with libz for MinGW here. Its beyond the scope of this post to go into details on how to do that install.

I have included the source I used because I needed a few extra header files and a static library for AdbWinApi. I also included the standard ADB DLLs in the exe zip, though if you've installed ADB before you should already have them.

Attachments

• fastbootNfriends-win32.zip
    120 KB · Views: 7,127
  • moto-fastboot-win32.zip
    117.8 KB · Views: 59,096

franciscojavierleon

Jul 16, 2010
Maracaibo
i was trying yesterday all night to compile it but even after i downloaded the linux kernel there were some files that gcc wouldn't find .

can you explain me how did you compile it and what did you download?

i installed cygwin and downloaded the gcc4-core package and added a -I line that pointed to my downloaded linux kernel, found some files but still it failed. I concluded that i needed the android source rather than the linux kernel but it was late and got tired

joshyy_rey

Sep 16, 2010
ATL/Auburn
Here is a MinGW32 compiled version that does not require the Cygwin DLLs. I compiled it using the following command:

Code:
gcc -D_WIN32 -static -o moto-fastboot.exe usb_windows.c util_windows.c fastboot.c protocol.c engine.c bootimg.c ../libzipfile/zipfile.c ../libzipfile/centraldir.c -lz AdbWinApi.a -I../include -I../libzipfile -I../mkbootimg

I had to install the standard MinGW / MSYS setup along with libz for MinGW here. Its beyond the scope of this post to go into details on how to do that install.

I have included the source I used because I needed a few extra header files and a static library for AdbWinApi. I also included the standard ADB DLLs in the exe zip, though if you've installed ADB before you should already have them.

Will this work on 64 bit or not?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Well, after 4 days of having a nearly functional solution to loopback mount 2.3.4 on (locked) 1.8.3 using 2nd-init... my work is useless. But now we can all run 2.3.4, and whatever else we want!
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1136261

We don't even have to use RSD or .sbf files anymore. Why? Because our friends at Motorola also made enhancements to fastboot which allow you to flash >256mb partitions. This means we can overwrite large partitions, such as "system" (/system) and "webtop" (/osh), in addition to the blessed "boot" (kernel+ramdisk).

I've compiled it from the opensource.motorola.com (thanks Motorola!) for linux, it is attached to this post.

UPDATE: Looks like romracer came through for all you people who still use windows, the MinGW version is attached. Thanks romracer!
    (After you thank romracer's post you can see this guide)

If the files below (for your 32 or 64 [default] bit system) don't work, you can compile from fastbootNfriends yourself with a string like:
    Code:
     gcc -o fastboot usb_linux.c util_linux.c fastboot.c protocol.c engine.c bootimg.c -lz ../libzipfile/zipfile.c ../libzipfile/centraldir.c -I../include -I../libzipfile -I../mkbootimg

UPDATE: Helpful users kevin@TeslaCoil and waqy. sent OSX binaries (compiled with extra flags "-framework CoreFoundation -framework Cocoa -framework IOKit") now attached.

Next post will tell you exactly how to use it to test out the HKTW 2.3.4 that was leaked a week ago which gave us all these great clues!
    For me, when Atrix is connected ("lsusb | grep PCS" on Linux) it shows up as ID 22b8:708c if its in Fastboot mode.

WARNING
    The leaked build from Hong Kong / Taiwan was probably not built for a device that is exactly like ours. Test phones can have different hardware. Don't expect everything to work, it's super-duper beta and since we've all only been unlocked 24hrs no one really knows how usable it is! Flash at your own risk... (PS you can 'Skip' Motoblur just by hitting 'Menu' during setup. It won't connect anyway...)

PPS. You can still use "dd" or something dangerous to overwrite your mmcblk0p11 and mmcblk0p12 with new builds, if you are unlocked, but at your own risk.
    HKTW instructions!

So, using eval-'s awesome moto-fastboot from the post above this one, combined with the wonders of an unlocked bootloader, we may finally start to enjoy full roms/gingerbread!

To flash the HKTW files, make sure you unlocked your bootloader. Then, download the following:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=12A2NF3O
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=J2VJSGZ7
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Z3YKAHNM

Extract them to obtain the following files:

Code:
    1c78b33d92f6b956bffbf4b668888ce4  atrix-2.3.4-hktw-boot.img
    18effca0371c7dbb36ec54443e72414b  atrix-2.3.4-hktw-system.img
    b762c2a24a928da633c0f152d2fa7870  atrix-2.3.4-hktw-webtop.img

(Alternatively, you may use sbf_flash -x to extract these files directly from the SBF)

Now boot your phone into fastboot mode, and issue the following commands:

Code:
    sudo ./moto-fastboot flash boot atrix-2.3.4-hktw-boot.img
    sudo ./moto-fastboot flash system atrix-2.3.4-hktw-system.img
    sudo ./moto-fastboot flash webtop atrix-2.3.4-hktw-webtop.img 
    sudo ./moto-fastboot -w
    sudo ./moto-fastboot reboot

Now observe your jaws dropping as you start to explore this awesome build!

Thanks to eval, the2dcour & [mbm] !
    A few people messaged me asking how to install on windows.

Here's what i did, I extracted moto-fastboot-win32 to the root of my C drive and renamed the folder to moto-fastboot.
    Then in the same folder(moto-fastboot), I place the boot and system images. (atrix-2.3.4-hktw-boot.img and atrix-2.3.4-hktw-system.img)

After open up a command prompt.
    If you did all the previous steps correctly, type one at a time in the order as listed :
    cd C:\moto-fastboot
    moto-fastboot flash boot atrix-2.3.4-hktw-boot.img
    moto-fastboot flash system atrix-2.3.4-hktw-system.img
    moto-fastboot -w
    moto-fastboot reboot

And thats it, you should have Gingerbread 2.3.4 on your Atrix 4G via Windows X64/X86
    EDIT2:New version in own thread. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1142918

EDIT: I've added a CWM zip version for use with the new unlocked recovery.

I've fixed a few of the StatusBar issues.
    I decompiled system/app/SystemUI.apk for xml edits.
    I edited images in framework-res.apk without decompiling.

Including:
    -Date Color
    -Shade Size
    -Handle Size

attachment.php