Just finished rooting this damn thing and it wasn't the easiest thing to figure out.
I used a 2 stage process.
(run superoneclick using the psneuter option until it fails)
If you're familiar with this skip to stage 2
- get the adb driver from here
- configure it to see the ziio using these instructions
- get SuperOneClick from here
- run it with psneuter root option selected until it stops and says FAILED
The ADB driver is needed for interacting with the tablet in a command line.
SuperOneClick comes with all you need to crack this baby. It loads the psneuter app which gives you temporary shell root and loads busybox on which is an app everybody and their grandmother uses.
(finishing what superoneclick can't)
- Go to superoneclick's folder then in the Root folder you find there
- Copy the su-v3 file to the adb folder (situated in Program Files/Android/android-sdk/platform-tools
- Rename it to simply su
- Start cmd and navigate to the adb folder
- Use the following commands:
adb push su /sbin
adb install Superuser.apk
chmod 4755 /sbin/su
cp /data/local/tmp/busybox /data/busybox/busybox
chmod 4755 /data/busybox/busybox
adb pull /system/ziilabs/init.rc
- Open the new file in the adb folder named init.rc
- Edit it and change the line
mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk_data1 /data nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime
mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk_data1 /data nodev noatime nodiratime
- Save the file
- Push it back to the ziio using
adb push init.rc /system/ziilabs/init.rc
- Reboot the tablet and you should have root
SuperOneClick fails because it expects normal android file locations, which the ziio doesn't uses (probably to make it harder to root). All the files that are normally held in sbin apear to be in /data/busybox (weird). You have to delete the original su app, load the new su app in the /sbin directory where the superuser apk expects it to be, move the busybox application to the folder where the ziio has it's internal apps and allow it's use.
Thanks to CLShortFuse for superoneclick, to toolzz whose information gathering
started me on this trail and thanks to mrrooty whose post here
helped me figure out which su version I was suposed to use.