i use an unlocked (no sim) sch-i905, so i don't know if it makes a difference, but this is what i did to get netflix working without rooting.
this is the netflix apk i used:
- copy the transformer patch on to /sdcard/
- turn off the galaxy tab
- press and hold the power button
- once the samsung logo appears press and hold volume up
- let go of the buttons once the android icons appear
- android icon with downloading... text will be blinking, press volume up to move the blinking to the left to the box icon with the arrow
- press volume down to select that. now we're in the android system recovery menu
- press volume down to move selected text to 'apply update from /sdcard'
- press power button to select that option
- use the volume down button to scroll down to the transformer update zip
- press the power button to select that zip
- let android start up
- install the netflix apk
- watch netflix videos
this only applies the transformer patch and does not root the device, because at current, i'm not interested in having root.