Droid 2 new ota update

Search This thread

flashesbuck

Apr 29, 2011
Why would someone need to download this, shouldn't everyone be able to update over the air.

FYI really like 2.3 runs very nice on droid2

gentlemandroid

Oct 25, 2010
To answer your question, I would. I recently left verizon and now I cannot get the OTA update. I still use my Droid 2 for android development. I just don't use it for a phone.

That said. I can't use the above update. I SBFed my phone back to stock Froyo System version 2.3.20, installed z4root to load clockworkmod Droid 2 recovery, and finally attempted to flash the above file from the SD card. I get the following error:

assert failed: getprop("ro.product.device") == "cdma_droid2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "cdma_droid2"
blah blah blah
(Status 7)

From the failed assertions I'm assuming this update doesn't recognize my phone as a Droid 2 and refuses to install the update. Does anyone know why that might be? Like I said I restored to stock before attempting this.

gentlemandroid

Oct 25, 2010
Wait a second. The file linked is called Blur_Version.2.3.20.A955.Verizon. That's the stock Froyo version. Is it called that because you need to be on that version or is this just an older file? I'm confused. Is this or isn't this the just released Gingerbread update?

idefiler6

May 16, 2011
CT
It's an oddly named file, but the last time I saw that one linked it was the OTA. I still feel one is better off SBFing to stock and downloading it that way.

What's going on, I was following the steps on theunlockr but when I tried to extract the OG firmware my laptop said it was probably damaged, any way I can get the firmware somewhere else? I am running on Fission right now and want to go back to stock so I can scoop this update, it looks pretty nice. Please help me out if you can, thank you.

idefiler6

May 16, 2011
CT
If you want to go back to stock to force the update the right way, the above file won't help you.

1. Get RSD Lite http://www.multiupload.com/HL0ZAL9GK8
2. Get Moto Drivers http://dl.dropbox.com/u/7632904/USB_Drivers_bit_4.7.1.zip
3. Get Froyo SBF http://bit.ly/dir7fq

Install the Moto Drivers on your pc, then boot into your bootloader and connect via usb. Then run RSD and load the SBF file. Once you complete that, reboot the phone and go to settings > phone info > check for updates. The new GB should be waiting for you, all official like.

Reactions: lifeofchaos13

Heafust

Jan 2, 2011
Despite the odd name it is the correct file. But do not use CWM or bootstrap to flash it! Rename it to update.zip on root of sd card then use Stock recovery to flash it.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

Hello again, so my phone is just stuck on the Droid loading screen (Droid followed by the red symbol) I have no idea what to do although I followed the steps stated above.

**EDIT**

So I was able to fix this problem by wiping the cache as well as my data, thank you all!

Last edited:

lifeofchaos13

Jan 25, 2011
If you want to go back to stock to force the update the right way, the above file won't help you.

1. Get RSD Lite
2. Get Moto Drivers
3. Get Froyo SBF
Install the Moto Drivers on your pc, then boot into your bootloader and connect via usb. Then run RSD and load the SBF file. Once you complete that, reboot the phone and go to settings > phone info > check for updates. The new GB should be waiting for you, all official like.

I tried this exactly as stated and I cant get me droid 2 to be seen in the RSD. I get a drive letter when I reboot to recovery but nothing shows in RSD. Any ideas? I tried wiping data and cache and did a factory reset still nothing.

Back to a rom manager backup from yesterday atm.

JDunc

Sep 28, 2010
The A
Make sure your phone is in PC Mode (and possibly Debugging Mode) so RSD can recognize it.

lifeofchaos13

Jan 25, 2011
Make sure your phone is in PC Mode (and possibly Debugging Mode) so RSD can recognize it.

Thanks I made sure I have debugging on and in pc mode. I see Droid 2 when I have my phone powered on but when I reboot in recovery just a drive letter and nothing in RSD.

I just saw this
Despite the odd name it is the correct file. But do not use CWM or bootstrap to flash it! Rename it to update.zip on root of sd card then use Stock recovery to flash it.

Sent from my DROID2 using XDA App

Must have missed it the first time I read the thread I will try to install it as update.zip through the standard recovery and see if that works.

Last edited:

lifeofchaos13

Jan 25, 2011
Ok I was able to get this on my phone with RSD the trick is to have your phone in PC mode and NOT to reboot it yourself the program will do it automatically. I got my phone updated but now it wont even give me the option to download the update OTA.

JDunc

Sep 28, 2010
The A
Yea I could've told you not to manually reboot. So you did a SBF to 2.3.2 and went into Settings > About > and System Updates and got nothing?

lifeofchaos13

Jan 25, 2011
Correct I redid the sbf twice more to make sure it took.. when I go to settings > about > and system updates its greyed out.

UPDATE: I dededeee it, forgot to reactivate my phone after sbf the 3rd time. trying the OTA now

Last edited:

lifeofchaos13

Jan 25, 2011
Ok phone is upgraded and rerooted.

1. sbf with RSD 3 times till it took
2. upgrade with OTA
3. rerooted with One Button Root
4. replaced progs with titanium

phone is fast right now, lovin it.

JDunc

Sep 28, 2010
The A
Glad you FINALLY got it working. Try out CM7 for GB. Do a backup before doing so and see if you like it. If not you can always restore back.

Top Liked Posts