[Guide]Oops, I flash something in Odin on "Phone" instead of "PDA"[ACS]EG30 AVAILABLE

Search This thread

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
[Guide]Oops, I flash something in Odin on "Phone" instead of "PDA"[ACS]EG30 AVAILABLE

DISCLAIMER
This is a guide for people who want to fix a mistake they made and NOT for people who want to experiment with their modems. Therefore, I am not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using this guide or these files.

Hello ladies and gents, AbsolutZeroGI here.

So, you've flashed something in Odin on "Phone" instead of "PDA". It happens to everyone. By that I mean I've done it enough times to cover everyone who didn't.

Thankfully it's an easy fix.

Before we begin, I'd like to thank Hacre for obtaining and uploading the stock modem.bin file. Also, thanks to the guy who pulled it to begin with (when I can remember his name, it will go here). I've tested this method personally (on purpose AND by accident), and I know that it works.

First, what happens when you flash something over "Phone" when you shouldn't? Well, it attempts to replace the modem.bin file with whatever it was you were trying to flash. If you unplug the phone and pull the battery, your phone will actually reboot. The worst consequence of this action is that your data will be DEAD. No signal, no data, no wifi. This is not nearly as big of a deal as it sounds. So take a deep breathe and ask yourself: what is the solution?

The solution is, of course, to flash the modem.bin file back to where it belongs. Here we go!

Okay, if you've flashed something on "Phone" instead of "PDA", you'll notice that Odin never finishes out and the phone never automatically reboots (like it usually does when you flash on Odin). This is normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

First thing is first, you need a modem.bin file. You can find one here: ACS Forums

**update** I now have ALL modems over at the ACS Forums (EG12, EG30, EG31 and EK02). So you can pick and choose which one you want :)

Next, pull the battery and unplug your phone (if you haven't done so already).

Then, you're going to put your battery back in and hit vol-down + power to get back into Download (Odin) Mode. Press up for yes when it prompts you.

Now open up Odin and plug your phone back in. It should connect just as it always does and be prepared to flash. If you don't know what I mean by that, check out the tutorial on using Odin here: [url="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1274337]Odin Tutorial[/url]

Finally, you're going to click where it says "Phone", navigate to the modem.bin file you downloaded and select it. Make sure nothing besides reboot (it may be called auto-reboot) is checked in the boxes on the left hand side. No seriously, double check again please.

Hit start to flash it. Your phone will flash and reboot and be all fixed and you can continue with what you were doing.

Remember, we all do stupid things. That's why we have Guides to fix them :)

Hit the thanks button if I helped ya!

**Update**
We now have access to all 4 modems. Click the link above to go the ACS forums, then click on the link there to get the downloads.

Last edited:

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
Updated. Now there's download links for EG12 and EG30 over in the ACS thread for those who want a specific one :)

Enjoy!

smark72

Apr 2, 2010
Deland, Florida
is one modem known to be better than the other? It's easy enough to try both, I was just wondering if it had been discussed already.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
is one modem known to be better than the other? It's easy enough to try both, I was just wondering if it had been discussed already.

I've heard it has (I've been busy with exams and first week of the new quarter in college), but I haven't seen it. Some people claim one gets better signal and less LOS, others claim the other does. Some claim there is no difference and there's a placebo effect.

But I thought as long as there's more than 1 I'd post it so people could choose. I only had eg12 before so now people have the full choice.

R1ptide

Sep 19, 2011
From what I've read the EG12 modem has been known to cause the phone not ringing when sleeping. I would go with EG30.

smark72

Apr 2, 2010
Deland, Florida
I just noticed that there is a size difference in the bin files. The eg30 you linked is 1.25Mb. The eg12 is 16Mb. A few posts down someone linked another eg30 that is 16Mb. Are they supposed to be around 16?

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
I just noticed that there is a size difference in the bin files. The eg30 you linked is 1.25Mb. The eg12 is 16Mb. A few posts down someone linked another eg30 that is 16Mb. Are they supposed to be around 16?

Disregard that, fixing it now. Give me like 10 minutes lol.

iconpro

Jul 18, 2010
I've odin both modem bins and both shows EG12. not sure if i'm doing it wrong, but i followed the instructions.

bbedward

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 6, 2010
Cleveland, OH
I flashed eg12 and my calls went straight to voicemail, then I upgraded prl/profile and it doesnt happen anymore. seems like I have better coverage but slower 3g

Sent from my SPH-D710 using XDA App

Shoulon

Apr 12, 2008
I dont recommend anyone flash eg12. Its very hard to get eg30 back even after flashing it. My phones been stuck on eg12 for 2weeks now. Ive tried everything. Also it cauesed my wifi to be on constant error and no vibrate.

naerok

Oct 3, 2011
File comparison shows no differences in the EG12, EG30 or my pulled EG30 modem files, so who ever said they are different modems, they are not

Yep, md5's are the same. So one file is just renamed into the other, whether they are both EG12 or EG30. So proceed with caution (as always with everything you get from XDA ;P)

jirafabo

Dec 4, 2007
Orlando
This might be the first time EVER that someone has said the following words.....

Wrong section. Mods please move this to Development.

AbsolutZeroGI

Oct 28, 2010
C-Bus
This might be the first time EVER that someone has said the following words.....

Wrong section. Mods please move this to Development.

Thank you jirafabo, a shine of humor and delight in an otherwise sea of misery. If they want to they can move it lol. I've always posted my guides in the general section.

LISTEN UP LADIES AND GENTS. I realize that both are the same modem. That's a my bad. I spent 4 hours last night testing modem pulls and people either didn't do it right or had an eg12 baseband.

That being said, keep in mind that this is a guide for people to restore service to their phones if they've flashed something over phone instead of pda. this is not a guide for people to be fiddling with their modems (which you shouldn't be doing anyway) to see "which one is better". I will try to find one, but I don't consider it "imperative". The guide restores service, as promised.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

DISCLAIMER
    This is a guide for people who want to fix a mistake they made and NOT for people who want to experiment with their modems. Therefore, I am not responsible for any damage you do to your phone using this guide or these files.

Hello ladies and gents, AbsolutZeroGI here.

So, you've flashed something in Odin on "Phone" instead of "PDA". It happens to everyone. By that I mean I've done it enough times to cover everyone who didn't.

Thankfully it's an easy fix.

Before we begin, I'd like to thank Hacre for obtaining and uploading the stock modem.bin file. Also, thanks to the guy who pulled it to begin with (when I can remember his name, it will go here). I've tested this method personally (on purpose AND by accident), and I know that it works.

First, what happens when you flash something over "Phone" when you shouldn't? Well, it attempts to replace the modem.bin file with whatever it was you were trying to flash. If you unplug the phone and pull the battery, your phone will actually reboot. The worst consequence of this action is that your data will be DEAD. No signal, no data, no wifi. This is not nearly as big of a deal as it sounds. So take a deep breathe and ask yourself: what is the solution?

The solution is, of course, to flash the modem.bin file back to where it belongs. Here we go!

Okay, if you've flashed something on "Phone" instead of "PDA", you'll notice that Odin never finishes out and the phone never automatically reboots (like it usually does when you flash on Odin). This is normal and nothing to be alarmed about.

First thing is first, you need a modem.bin file. You can find one here: ACS Forums

**update** I now have ALL modems over at the ACS Forums (EG12, EG30, EG31 and EK02). So you can pick and choose which one you want :)

Next, pull the battery and unplug your phone (if you haven't done so already).

Then, you're going to put your battery back in and hit vol-down + power to get back into Download (Odin) Mode. Press up for yes when it prompts you.

Now open up Odin and plug your phone back in. It should connect just as it always does and be prepared to flash. If you don't know what I mean by that, check out the tutorial on using Odin here: [url="http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1274337]Odin Tutorial[/url]

Finally, you're going to click where it says "Phone", navigate to the modem.bin file you downloaded and select it. Make sure nothing besides reboot (it may be called auto-reboot) is checked in the boxes on the left hand side. No seriously, double check again please.

Hit start to flash it. Your phone will flash and reboot and be all fixed and you can continue with what you were doing.

Remember, we all do stupid things. That's why we have Guides to fix them :)

Hit the thanks button if I helped ya!

**Update**
    We now have access to all 4 modems. Click the link above to go the ACS forums, then click on the link there to get the downloads.
    File comparison shows no differences in the EG12, EG30 or my pulled EG30 modem files, so who ever said they are different modems, they are not
    Post new thread... gets why didn't you search buddy... search first and ask question in related thread... why did you revive old thread! :D

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2