[GUIDE] Correctly using Root Explorer to manually replace modded/stock system files

Search This thread

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
Here is the correct way to use root explorer for manually replacing system files:

1. Mount the system as r/w (read/write) per the top right corner. Navigate to the file that you plan to replace (e.g., system/framework/framework.jar).

2. Copy (not move) the file and paste it somewhere on your SD card (internal or external, doesn't matter - as long as you can locate it in case you need to put it back). Rename the file you just pasted, but very subtly. For example, when renaming framework.jar, I would only throw something in front of the file name, such as "Backup - framework.jar", so I can easily distinguish it from the new file if I put them in the same spot.

3. NANDROID BACKUP!

4. Download/put on your sd card (whatever you do) the new file that you want to replace the old one with.

5. Move the new file to /system (not in a subfolder yet). Here you will change the permissions, which is crucial to avoid FCs and problems. In root explorer, you would long press the file, press permissions, and set them to whatever the old file's permissions are. This may require going to verify what they are before starting this step. For example, in a lot of cases, the permissions will be RW-R-R. In Root Explorer, this would mean checking the first two boxes on the first line and only the first box on the next two lines. In any situation, confirm that the permissions you see after you've changed them (right below the file name) match exactly what you're replacing.

6. Ensure that your new file is correctly named to exactly what it is replacing (case actually matters) and double check the permissions.

7. Move your new file to the folder, root explorer will ask if you want to replace the file. Confirm.

8. Back out of root explorer and immediately reboot.

No force closes, no problems :).

It may seem like a lot to someone who doesn't do it often but for me, I actually do this method faster than any other and fly through it every time. I got tired of seeing people explain ways to use Root Explorer which result in bootloops, FCs, etc. without fail. So, I decided to put an end to it.

Last edited:

Audiochild

Nov 17, 2011
Nashville
Great post Simba501! Thank you for this...

Obviously a "noob" thing I'm over-looking but when I try and paste the file I'm moving into /system it's prompting me that it's "read-only"?

kbilly70

Sep 24, 2011
Charleston, WV
Great post Simba501! Thank you for this...

Obviously a "noob" thing I'm over-looking but when I try and paste the file I'm moving into /system it's prompting me that it's "read-only"?

Sounds like you need to mount \system as read-write. There is a button in the upper right corner of root explorer to mount

Sent from my SGH-I777 using XDA App

kZard

Dec 22, 2011
Thanks, that clears things up.

I'm still wondering, though, how does one handle certificate files etc? For example, the ones found in this fix provided by zdzihu, in the META-INF folder.

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
Thanks, that clears things up.

I'm still wondering, though, how does one handle certificate files etc? For example, the ones found in this fix provided by zdzihu, in the META-INF folder.

Those are only for flashing purposes. Not needed if you're not flashing it. You only need to pull everything besides that folder and place them appropriately.

Edgarhighman

Dec 2, 2011
Using this method resulted in "app not installed" tried it with black Google search box, and just now with Mms.apk rw-r--r-- backed up old one, but method didn't work... had to nandroid last time because phone wouldn't let me install backup or market version. Looks like I'm in for it again. :( fudge. what went wrong?

System folder was r/w and moved apk into system/app said OK to overwrite and used hard key back button to exit root explorer. Hard key power button and selected reboot within 1-4 seconds of moving apk over system app.

Last edited:

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
Using this method resulted in "app not installed" tried it with black Google search box, and just now with Mms.apk rw-r--r-- backed up old one, but method didn't work... had to nandroid last time because phone wouldn't let me install backup or market version. Looks like I'm in for it again. :( fudge. what went wrong?

System folder was r/w and moved apk into system/app said OK to overwrite and used hard key back button to exit root explorer. Hard key power button and selected reboot within 1-4 seconds of moving apk over system app.

You don't install it after placing it. Placing it in the folder does install it. If you put it there, ensure the permissions are correct, and reboot, it should work.

EDIT: I don't see any mention of setting the permissions, so that was probably the issue. Again, no need to "install" it; just put it in the appropriate folder and set the permissions.

Last edited:

Edgarhighman

Dec 2, 2011
You don't install it after placing it. Placing it in the folder does install it. If you put it there, ensure the permissions are correct, and reboot, it should work.

EDIT: I don't see any mention of setting the permissions, so that was probably the issue. Again, no need to "install" it; just put it in the appropriate folder and set the permissions.

I did state the permissions. It's in your quote lol. Your method caused my phone to say app not installed. I had trouble getting the default app back after your method failed. Why didn't it work? I'm telling you I followed it to a T.

Sgs2, android 2.3.6, unnamed rom, December 2011 entropy kernel

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
I did state the permissions. It's in your quote lol. Your method caused my phone to say app not installed. I had trouble getting the default app back after your method failed. Why didn't it work? I'm telling you I followed it to a T.

Sgs2, android 2.3.6, unnamed rom, December 2011 entropy kernel

If the apk is compatible, it will work. At no point should you get an "application not installed" prompt, unless you attempted to manually install it at some point. If it wouldn't work, it just wouldn't appear in the app drawer: no prompt.

I guess this should be mentioned in the OP, but some times, clearing data of the application may be necessary after finishing. Usually a force stop at the most will allow you to see changes (which is why the steps include a reboot). You've piqued my interest. Post the files of question and I'll see if they work on my device. There was a similar issue someone else was having; I told him to redownload the apk and that was the problem. Some kind of botched file/download.

Sent from my Galaxy S II (i777)

Last edited:

Simba501

Feb 2, 2010
just wondering what the limitations of root explorer are.
is it only that folder? and why that folder?

Idk: that's the only one I've seen. I've created folders in other directories. At any rate, virtually every modification you'll ever make will be in /data or /system.

You can edit and create new folders in that directory, but there's just no need to, unless you want to break the functionality of your phone.

It fails if attempting to create it within Root Explorer. You could use other means though (on a PC, an edited ROM zip, or potentially another root file manager). But again, no real reason to: other than for development purposes, perhaps. I'm no developer though, so I can't say.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab 10.1

Last edited:
Reactions: mikoal

dsmboost

Oct 5, 2011
USA
Idk: that's the only one I've seen. I've created folders in other directories. At any rate, virtually every modification you'll ever make will be in /data or /system.

It fails if attempting to create it within Root Explorer. You could use other means though (on a PC, an edited ROM zip, or potentially another root file manager). But again, no real reason to: other than for development purposes, perhaps. I'm no developer though, so I can't say.

Ah okay, I was referring to ES file explorer, which can modify other files in that directory.

Reactions: mikoal

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Here is the correct way to use root explorer for manually replacing system files:

1. Mount the system as r/w (read/write) per the top right corner. Navigate to the file that you plan to replace (e.g., system/framework/framework.jar).

2. Copy (not move) the file and paste it somewhere on your SD card (internal or external, doesn't matter - as long as you can locate it in case you need to put it back). Rename the file you just pasted, but very subtly. For example, when renaming framework.jar, I would only throw something in front of the file name, such as "Backup - framework.jar", so I can easily distinguish it from the new file if I put them in the same spot.

3. NANDROID BACKUP!

4. Download/put on your sd card (whatever you do) the new file that you want to replace the old one with.

5. Move the new file to /system (not in a subfolder yet). Here you will change the permissions, which is crucial to avoid FCs and problems. In root explorer, you would long press the file, press permissions, and set them to whatever the old file's permissions are. This may require going to verify what they are before starting this step. For example, in a lot of cases, the permissions will be RW-R-R. In Root Explorer, this would mean checking the first two boxes on the first line and only the first box on the next two lines. In any situation, confirm that the permissions you see after you've changed them (right below the file name) match exactly what you're replacing.

6. Ensure that your new file is correctly named to exactly what it is replacing (case actually matters) and double check the permissions.

7. Move your new file to the folder, root explorer will ask if you want to replace the file. Confirm.

8. Back out of root explorer and immediately reboot.

No force closes, no problems :).

It may seem like a lot to someone who doesn't do it often but for me, I actually do this method faster than any other and fly through it every time. I got tired of seeing people explain ways to use Root Explorer which result in bootloops, FCs, etc. without fail. So, I decided to put an end to it.
    just wondering what the limitations of root explorer are.
    is it only that folder? and why that folder?

You can edit and create new folders in that directory, but there's just no need to, unless you want to break the functionality of your phone.

Ah okay, I was referring to ES file explorer, which can modify other files in that directory.