Or Continue to Thread: [Oct 31]Steve's MeeGo on HD2 U…
Find Your Device:
31st October 2011, 10:45 AM   |  #273  
Flag Dublin
Thanks Meter: 219

49 posts
Donate to Me
More
Just a quick reply to say, no I haven't forgotten you guys, or this thread. Let me bring you up to speed…

In February, when Nokia announced they were moving to WP7, open source MeeGo was effectively dead. It was never going to be finished - Intel sat on it for a few months until they officially announced the end of their participation. What this means is the MeeGo I started ported to the HD2 almost a year ago is no longer a viable target.

However, Nokia did announce MeeGo Harmattan earlier this year - the likes of which you see on the N9 and N950. Unfortunately, this OS has very little to do with open source MeeGo - in fact it's pretty much Maemo 6 and just used the MeeGo name (it's Debian based, unlike the open source version which was Red Hat based). Harmattan is absolutely awesome, and I would love to see it working on the HD2. I've had access to the N950 for a couple months now but Nokia's license specifically denies me from attempting to reverse engineer anything, so it could never be used to help this project. Now that the N9 is publicly released, that can be attempted, although it's likely distribution of that in full would be disallowed too. That's something to worry about at a later date.

Unfortunately for us, Harmattan isn't an open source OS. It has quite a few security checks to stop it working on other devices, which would almost certainly require patching to remove. Thankfully, Harmattan is actually a fully featured OS that people could use, if it were ported. Since nobody else is working on this, though, I wouldn't hold your breath right now. It might be something I can look into over Christmas
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to stroughtonsmith For This Useful Post: [ View ]