The xt860, custom roms and you!

Search This thread

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
So now that we're able to flash custom roms on the xt860, people are starting to ask "how is such and such rom?""Is this one good for battery?""Help i have no data!"

So i've decided to test drive the various roms available for the D3 on the xt 860 and see which work and which don't, battery life and overall feel.

Please note none of this work is mine, i've just compiled it all here for ease. Also i am not responsible if you brick your phone, void your warranty, etc etc

This should work with any 2.3.5 or 2.3.6 versions. These roms were all tested on the brazil retail 2.3.5. I'm using Iusacell 2.3.6 and at the very least liberty works. Please note that currently WE HAVE NO WAY OF RETURNING TO BELL STOCK. If you can't live with this hit the back button now.
You can find the 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 fastboot files here Thanks to daywalker04 for that
This is flashed to the phone via RSDlite 5.5. Google it, i don't remember where i found it.
Or moto-fastboot. I have a script for linux moto-fastboot if anyone wants.

There are a few other things we need as well, may as well download them now

Zergrush root method Thanks to DooMLoRD

3Gfix Thanks to willis111
Flashing the safestrap version in bootstrap will not work. you must get the old version to use in bootstrap

Safestrap usb fix Thanks to Rick#2
I don't think this is needed with the newest safestrap 1.08 but i will leave it up

Safestrap HUGE thanks to Hashcode who's hard work makes this all possible. Buy the man a beer

Before you do anything you may wish to download Titanium Backup from the market and backup your apps, this process will remove them all. Any photos, music or other files you have download to either the internal or external SD will be untouched.

Flashing firmware(Unless you are on Bell 2.3.4, you can skip this. And if you are on Bell 2.3.4 download the update for the love of god)
1)Install RSDlite
2)Unzip the brazil retail to somewhere on your computer, doesn't matter where, just as long as you know where you put it
3)Power off your phone, then hold M+power to boot into the bootloader
4)Choose AP fastboot, volume down scrolls, volume up selects
5)Plug in usb
6)Open RSDlite and point it at the .xml file located in the unzipped brazil reatil folder
7)Start it up

Rooting
1)Unzip zergrush somewhere on your computer
2)find and open the RUNME.bat
3)Follow the instructions onscreen
If you have issues with version 3, use version 2(I use linux so i have not tried the windows versions, sometimes i did notice with the linux version that it would hang at the point "restarting adb as root" ctrl+c the process, toggle usb debugging and try again, it will work)

Installing Safestrap
1)Either adb push, or drag and drop Safestrap into the root of your sdcard
2)Using file manager, find and open the safestrap.apk
3)This will install the app, open it and click Install recovery
4)It should ask for superuser permission, allow it

There is an issue with Safestrap on the xt860 which prevents the recovery from opening unless plugged into a usb. To fix adb push the aforementioned safestrap usb fix(recovery.zip) to /system/etc/safestrap/ to replace the existing one(or usb drag and drop to sdcard and use root explorer to move to the appropriate directory)

So now you need to choose a rom, download it, transfer it and the 3Gfix to the root of your sdcard(it doesn't need to be the root, it just makes it easy to find, you can even put them on the external sd)

Installing Roms!
1)Reboot your phone, pressing the menu key when prompted to enter recovery
2)Go to safe mode menu(vol keys scroll, power button selects)
3)Once in safe mode go to mounts and storage>format /system
4)Go back, and then go to Install zip from sdcard
5)Find your rom, install it, and then install the 3Gfix the same way
6)Go back and choose Wipe data/Factory reset
7)Reboot System Now!!!!!

Enjoy your new rom

You can now redownload Titanium Backup from the market and restore your apps. remember to repeat the process anytime you want to change roms

I've chosen several roms to test found both here and other forums, i'll link to each one as i post my results. I'm gonna run each one for 3 days, to get a decent feel of it. I'm keeping the experience pretty stock, i don't want to go through the effort of customizing the hell out of it just to wipe it all a day later. Installed 3rd party apps are, twitter, xda, droid forums, rootzwiki, TiB, Beautiful Widgets, Skype, Whatsapp. My usage patterns are mostly checking forums/twitter every so often, couple hours of music through headphones and playing with the various settings on the rom. Please keep in mind these are my experiences, i make no guarantee yours will be the same.

Also, if you have issues getting any of these steps to work, feel free to ask, however if you are having an issue with one of the roms i mention, please check the official thread for that rom before posting here(or there) as someone has probably already had the same issue as you. If your problem is unique, post in the rom thread, be sure to mention you are on xt860. You can also try here see if other xt860 users are experiencing it.

First, cm7/cm9
I am unable to use cm7 as i get constant FC of phone. Others have been able to use it, but afaik no one has data working for xt860. I was able to boot cm9/ICS on my phone, no mobile network at all, portrait and landscape are reversed, many option don;t function, but it's fun to preview it, give it a try.

Liberty3 V2.0
Very smooth rom. It was responsive, and i had no issues with it. Most blur is removed, although you can restore some of it, ie camera, launcher, alarm clock through liberty customizer, gives you the choice between blur and AOSP. 150-200 megs free RAM at all times. Managed 18 hours battery life keeping my usage moderate, when i went a little heavier i went 9 hours with 30% left. Cell standby was still top of the list but battery life was much improved over stock blur. Easily able to get you through the day. Comes with Liberty Customizer, lets you make changes to status bar, has 8 lockscreens, build.prop editor, minfree editor, setcpu amongst others. Also comes with rom toolbox which lets you change system fonts, boot animation etc. Quadrant of about 2300, up from my 1800 on stock 2.3.4. I did try overclocking, brought my quadrant and linpacks up at first, but brought them down after and hour or 2. Way down, however i at no point did it seem to make any noticable difference to the running on the UI, was always smooth and quick. I stopped using them, i didn't feel i needed to. I quite liked this rom. One thing i noticed is that although all the other status bar icons are changed, signal strength is still the stock motoblur icons. However there is an option to display in DBm instead(which i did as the blue clashed with the themeing of the rom). All in all i quite liked it and will be using it again in the future
attachment.php

Eclipse 1.1.1 found at rootzwiki.
I found eclipse to have a similar feel to Liberty, it was smooth and fast, and had similar battery life. I preferred the colour scheme of eclipse more, i may see about putting the framework-res and systemUI of eclipse into liberty. It has lots of blur removed, just dialer and camera leftover, however it has less customization options than liberty. It lacks the ability to restore blur, if you're into that kind of thing. I had a few glitches pop up that required a battery pulls. They seemed to be touch screen related and only happened once each. While i had the soft keyboard up it acted like i was pressing the r key, and i had an issue where every time i scrolled down a web page it scrolled back up. I tried rebooting on the latter and the phone wouldn't turn back on until i pulled the battery. This is definitely on my reuse list.
attachment.php

Monster rom
I'll preface this by saying I'm not a fan of blur, and as such I wasn't a huge fan of this rom. It's blur based with an aosp launcher. It was very snappy and quick, although i felt battery life wasn't as good as with liberty, it would still be sufficient to get through the day. I got my highest quadrant ever on monster rom though 2600. Often had 150-200 MB ram free. I had no issues or glitches with it, ran very smooth. For those who like blur it's pretty good, i would consider using it again.
attachment.php

Mavrom
So for mavrom i've tested both versions 1 and 2. They both seemed to be pretty good for battery life, not quite as good as liberty or eclipse but i probably could have gone for 12 hours or so. New version has a maverick toolbox, similar to the liberty customizer but with fewer options. It's blur based, on the 5.7.xxx verizon system version. I don't think all the system apps are compatible with xt860, right off the bat i noticed there was a question mark for one of the dock icons, and tapping it got me an "application not installed" message. I didn't bother to run through the /system/app to figure out what it was(mostly because it just occurred to me)I also had with version 2 cause my phone to freeze a few times, there didn't seem to be any particular event that caused it, and it would normally unfreeze within a minute. Only issue i had

Steel Droid
I had issues with Steel Droid, i only ended up testing it for 1 day, as i can't have issues like that during the week. It dropped 3G several times, similar to when battery saver kills data when idle, except i had it set to performance mode. I also had terrible battery life, 6 hours had me down to 10%, and before anyone asks, yes i calibrated the battery. I may give it another try sometime and see if i have any better luck.

Darkdroid 1.0 is the only rom that did not work for me. However i do remember an older version working for me once.

DEVS! If you are cooking a rom up and need an xt860 tester, feel free to hit me up.

Attachments

• screenshot-1323377880471.jpg
    screenshot-1323377880471.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 1,733
  • 20111210142741.jpg
    20111210142741.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 1,335
  • 20111213220238.jpg
    20111213220238.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 1,299
Last edited:

goalando

Jul 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T Pro
Now im using cm7 :
I flashed 3gfix, put my apn and 3g worked fine also navigation, apps, market, etc.
Then i tried to call and the fc came com.android.phone

i rebooted and 3g doesnt work anymore com.android.phone popups and i noticed that airplane mode its activating itself on and off.

i reflashed and it happened again even worst so.. now i'll try eclipse.

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Cm7 the FC was so.constant it was unusable. I like eclipse. Similar feel to liberty. I like the colour scheme better though

xt860, android 2.3.5, Eclipse 1.1.1

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
I reworked the data patch to make it more universal, it now copies files from /systemorig rather than presupplied(xt860) files, so anything it move will match your kernel version (like if you're using an me863?). It *SHOULD* work on me863 providing they're able to use safestrap as well. Check my thread for more info/the new patch. If you use it an like it you can always click thanks on the OP in my thread as well. Hopefully we get an me863 user to confirm it working for them as well, but I think this will be the method we end up using for custom roms for a while (makes it a lot easier on the rom devs since we're more or less supporting our own models).

Endroid(or any other xt860 users): If you want to send me a pm if eclipse doesn't work that would be great. (or any other non-workings you find). Thank you very much in advance.

Last edited:

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
i will wait for android ice cream sandwitch

ICS won't have all these data issues, a lot of the libs etc that we're hacking at are already setup in ICS from what I understand. Doesn't mean there wont be a bunch of hacking for us to do on it but data should be a lot easier on cm9 vs cm7.

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Nice. Subscribed.

Really just want something stable with good battery life for my gf. CM9 might be that solution.

It may be, but not yet. So far I would recommend liberty to be stable and good on battery. Eclipse is pretty good for battery too but I've have a few minor glitches that have required battery pulls. I'll do a write up on it tonight and add it to the OP

Willis111

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 7, 2008
Ontario
It may be, but not yet. So far I would recommend liberty to be stable and good on battery. Eclipse is pretty good for battery too but I've have a few minor glitches that have required battery pulls. I'll do a write up on it tonight and add it to the OP

Liberty is pretty decent, I fully charged and wiped battery stats last night and it slowed battery drain even more. One of the few things I've noticed, and this isn't all the time (might actually have to do with the fix we're using) is that when I set my phone into airplane mode with a custom rom I can't get out of it, I've only noticed it once with liberty but it's all I've been running as a daily. I've had to restore from a backup a few times while I was out, thank god for Ricks patch. Other than that I can pull off 8 hours with bluetooth streaming mp3's to my stereo and wifi on, up from 2-4 when I originally bought the phone.

Last edited:

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I have no issues with airplane mode on my roms.

Hasn't anybody else noticed that the signal strength icon doesn't change to the roms custom icons. No matter which rom is use this is the case. I've been poking around framework-res and systemUI trying to find how to fix this. Im still learning all this stuff but as I understand it there would be an xml file that tells the phone what png to display based on the numerical value of the current signal strength. However there are alot of files in them. I've also found a blur-res and moto-res. Does anyone know whereabouts I can find this information? Im assuming its different on the 860 and 862 since screenshots I've seen of d3 users have the custom icons. I will of.course share whatever fix I come up with, whether its a flashable fix or a modded rom

xt860, android 2.3.5, Monster rom

Edit: I believe i've figured this out. Icons for cdma/evdo are located in framework-res, icons for gsm are in SystemUI. I don't know why but it's the only place i can find the blue bars that keep showing up. I'm trying to figure out apkmanager enough to make it work. Broke the status bar with my first try

Last edited:

goalando

Jul 30, 2010
OnePlus 7T Pro
I dont know why but i cant flash monster rom and ics
And im doing the same steps than the other roms.
Is there something different to do?

Enviado desde mi XT860 usando Tapatalk

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
I dont know why but i cant flash monster rom and ics
And im doing the same steps than the other roms.
Is there something different to do?

Enviado desde mi XT860 usando Tapatalk

The same steps should apply to all roms. I've used both with no flashing issues. What happens when you try?

xt860, android 2.3.5, Monster rom

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Still can't flash ics it bootloops and monster rom just show a black screen..

Sent from my XT860 using liberty rom

I'm just about to download and try the new build 6 of ics, but on the previous build usb had to be plugged in to get past the splash screen.

As for monster i don't know what to tell you i had no issues. Perhaps it a bad download, maybe try redownloading and reflashing

Endoroid

Aug 28, 2011
Surrey
Are you flashing with safestrap? Flashing pretty much anything on our phones w/regular bootstrap will cause this atm.

Im surprised anyone uses regular bootstraps anymore. The ability to keep your original system intact is so appealing. I actually reflashed the system.img fastboot file on the weekend to make it stock. Restoring my nandroid data to it when I first flashed the br fastboot seemed to have caused some issues I noticed it when I switches to non safe to update safestrap

Sent from my XT860 using xda premium

Hashcode

Senior Recognized Developer
Sep 3, 2011
Im surprised anyone uses regular bootstraps anymore. The ability to keep your original system intact is so appealing. I actually reflashed the system.img fastboot file on the weekend to make it stock. Restoring my nandroid data to it when I first flashed the br fastboot seemed to have caused some issues I noticed it when I switches to non safe to update safestrap

Did you test out the latest preview and see if 3G would come up for you? You *might* need to swap the phone network via *#*#info#*#* in the dialer. And once it's set. I would reboot to check.

So far CDMA/GSM seems to be working for many users.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So now that we're able to flash custom roms on the xt860, people are starting to ask "how is such and such rom?""Is this one good for battery?""Help i have no data!"

So i've decided to test drive the various roms available for the D3 on the xt 860 and see which work and which don't, battery life and overall feel.

Please note none of this work is mine, i've just compiled it all here for ease. Also i am not responsible if you brick your phone, void your warranty, etc etc

This should work with any 2.3.5 or 2.3.6 versions. These roms were all tested on the brazil retail 2.3.5. I'm using Iusacell 2.3.6 and at the very least liberty works. Please note that currently WE HAVE NO WAY OF RETURNING TO BELL STOCK. If you can't live with this hit the back button now.
    You can find the 2.3.5 and 2.3.6 fastboot files here Thanks to daywalker04 for that
    This is flashed to the phone via RSDlite 5.5. Google it, i don't remember where i found it.
    Or moto-fastboot. I have a script for linux moto-fastboot if anyone wants.

There are a few other things we need as well, may as well download them now

Zergrush root method Thanks to DooMLoRD

3Gfix Thanks to willis111
    Flashing the safestrap version in bootstrap will not work. you must get the old version to use in bootstrap

Safestrap usb fix Thanks to Rick#2
    I don't think this is needed with the newest safestrap 1.08 but i will leave it up

Safestrap HUGE thanks to Hashcode who's hard work makes this all possible. Buy the man a beer

Before you do anything you may wish to download Titanium Backup from the market and backup your apps, this process will remove them all. Any photos, music or other files you have download to either the internal or external SD will be untouched.

Flashing firmware(Unless you are on Bell 2.3.4, you can skip this. And if you are on Bell 2.3.4 download the update for the love of god)
    1)Install RSDlite
    2)Unzip the brazil retail to somewhere on your computer, doesn't matter where, just as long as you know where you put it
    3)Power off your phone, then hold M+power to boot into the bootloader
    4)Choose AP fastboot, volume down scrolls, volume up selects
    5)Plug in usb
    6)Open RSDlite and point it at the .xml file located in the unzipped brazil reatil folder
    7)Start it up

Rooting
    1)Unzip zergrush somewhere on your computer
    2)find and open the RUNME.bat
    3)Follow the instructions onscreen
    If you have issues with version 3, use version 2(I use linux so i have not tried the windows versions, sometimes i did notice with the linux version that it would hang at the point "restarting adb as root" ctrl+c the process, toggle usb debugging and try again, it will work)

Installing Safestrap
    1)Either adb push, or drag and drop Safestrap into the root of your sdcard
    2)Using file manager, find and open the safestrap.apk
    3)This will install the app, open it and click Install recovery
    4)It should ask for superuser permission, allow it

There is an issue with Safestrap on the xt860 which prevents the recovery from opening unless plugged into a usb. To fix adb push the aforementioned safestrap usb fix(recovery.zip) to /system/etc/safestrap/ to replace the existing one(or usb drag and drop to sdcard and use root explorer to move to the appropriate directory)

So now you need to choose a rom, download it, transfer it and the 3Gfix to the root of your sdcard(it doesn't need to be the root, it just makes it easy to find, you can even put them on the external sd)

Installing Roms!
    1)Reboot your phone, pressing the menu key when prompted to enter recovery
    2)Go to safe mode menu(vol keys scroll, power button selects)
    3)Once in safe mode go to mounts and storage>format /system
    4)Go back, and then go to Install zip from sdcard
    5)Find your rom, install it, and then install the 3Gfix the same way
    6)Go back and choose Wipe data/Factory reset
    7)Reboot System Now!!!!!

Enjoy your new rom

You can now redownload Titanium Backup from the market and restore your apps. remember to repeat the process anytime you want to change roms

I've chosen several roms to test found both here and other forums, i'll link to each one as i post my results. I'm gonna run each one for 3 days, to get a decent feel of it. I'm keeping the experience pretty stock, i don't want to go through the effort of customizing the hell out of it just to wipe it all a day later. Installed 3rd party apps are, twitter, xda, droid forums, rootzwiki, TiB, Beautiful Widgets, Skype, Whatsapp. My usage patterns are mostly checking forums/twitter every so often, couple hours of music through headphones and playing with the various settings on the rom. Please keep in mind these are my experiences, i make no guarantee yours will be the same.

Also, if you have issues getting any of these steps to work, feel free to ask, however if you are having an issue with one of the roms i mention, please check the official thread for that rom before posting here(or there) as someone has probably already had the same issue as you. If your problem is unique, post in the rom thread, be sure to mention you are on xt860. You can also try here see if other xt860 users are experiencing it.

First, cm7/cm9
    I am unable to use cm7 as i get constant FC of phone. Others have been able to use it, but afaik no one has data working for xt860. I was able to boot cm9/ICS on my phone, no mobile network at all, portrait and landscape are reversed, many option don;t function, but it's fun to preview it, give it a try.

Liberty3 V2.0
    Very smooth rom. It was responsive, and i had no issues with it. Most blur is removed, although you can restore some of it, ie camera, launcher, alarm clock through liberty customizer, gives you the choice between blur and AOSP. 150-200 megs free RAM at all times. Managed 18 hours battery life keeping my usage moderate, when i went a little heavier i went 9 hours with 30% left. Cell standby was still top of the list but battery life was much improved over stock blur. Easily able to get you through the day. Comes with Liberty Customizer, lets you make changes to status bar, has 8 lockscreens, build.prop editor, minfree editor, setcpu amongst others. Also comes with rom toolbox which lets you change system fonts, boot animation etc. Quadrant of about 2300, up from my 1800 on stock 2.3.4. I did try overclocking, brought my quadrant and linpacks up at first, but brought them down after and hour or 2. Way down, however i at no point did it seem to make any noticable difference to the running on the UI, was always smooth and quick. I stopped using them, i didn't feel i needed to. I quite liked this rom. One thing i noticed is that although all the other status bar icons are changed, signal strength is still the stock motoblur icons. However there is an option to display in DBm instead(which i did as the blue clashed with the themeing of the rom). All in all i quite liked it and will be using it again in the future
    attachment.php

Eclipse 1.1.1 found at rootzwiki.
    I found eclipse to have a similar feel to Liberty, it was smooth and fast, and had similar battery life. I preferred the colour scheme of eclipse more, i may see about putting the framework-res and systemUI of eclipse into liberty. It has lots of blur removed, just dialer and camera leftover, however it has less customization options than liberty. It lacks the ability to restore blur, if you're into that kind of thing. I had a few glitches pop up that required a battery pulls. They seemed to be touch screen related and only happened once each. While i had the soft keyboard up it acted like i was pressing the r key, and i had an issue where every time i scrolled down a web page it scrolled back up. I tried rebooting on the latter and the phone wouldn't turn back on until i pulled the battery. This is definitely on my reuse list.
    attachment.php

Monster rom
    I'll preface this by saying I'm not a fan of blur, and as such I wasn't a huge fan of this rom. It's blur based with an aosp launcher. It was very snappy and quick, although i felt battery life wasn't as good as with liberty, it would still be sufficient to get through the day. I got my highest quadrant ever on monster rom though 2600. Often had 150-200 MB ram free. I had no issues or glitches with it, ran very smooth. For those who like blur it's pretty good, i would consider using it again.
    attachment.php

Mavrom
    So for mavrom i've tested both versions 1 and 2. They both seemed to be pretty good for battery life, not quite as good as liberty or eclipse but i probably could have gone for 12 hours or so. New version has a maverick toolbox, similar to the liberty customizer but with fewer options. It's blur based, on the 5.7.xxx verizon system version. I don't think all the system apps are compatible with xt860, right off the bat i noticed there was a question mark for one of the dock icons, and tapping it got me an "application not installed" message. I didn't bother to run through the /system/app to figure out what it was(mostly because it just occurred to me)I also had with version 2 cause my phone to freeze a few times, there didn't seem to be any particular event that caused it, and it would normally unfreeze within a minute. Only issue i had

Steel Droid
    I had issues with Steel Droid, i only ended up testing it for 1 day, as i can't have issues like that during the week. It dropped 3G several times, similar to when battery saver kills data when idle, except i had it set to performance mode. I also had terrible battery life, 6 hours had me down to 10%, and before anyone asks, yes i calibrated the battery. I may give it another try sometime and see if i have any better luck.

Darkdroid 1.0 is the only rom that did not work for me. However i do remember an older version working for me once.

DEVS! If you are cooking a rom up and need an xt860 tester, feel free to hit me up.
    Hi will this worked for a bricked XT860?

I'm not 100% sure if it's bricked, as this is my first android phone, and my first attempt at rooting and flashing a ROM.

What I did
    ----------
    1. Rooted phone with psouza4.com/droid3/ root method. This worked as expected and I now had root access.
    2. Installed droid 3 bootstrap recovery and rom manager.
    3. Created nandroid backup using 'reboot recovery' method from D3 bootstrap recovery.
    4. Downloaded Liberty ROM from here: rootzwiki.com/topic/8189-rom-liberty3-for-the-droid3-1104-its-time-for-a-revolution
    5. I then used ROM manager and chose 'Install ROM from SD card' option. I wiped cache and dalvik cache.
    6. The phone booted into recovery and seemed to install Liberty ROM with no problems, but when it tried to boot it just stuck in a bootloop.
    7. The phone is currently sitting at the M logo, and every minute or so the screen goes black before going back to the M logo.

Reading through this method, seems like it will be able to fix my phone, but there is 1 thing I'm concerned about. Hashcode states to uninstall any previous bootstrap before using safestrap, I don't think I can do that currently, so I'm curious to know if there's a way to do that, or if I will be fine using safestrap as is?

Carrier:Bell
    Android version: 2.3.4

The directions in the original post aren't a brick recovery but directions for flashing custom roms using safestrap. They require you to be on the Brazil 2.3.6. If you do go the 2.3.6 you can't get back to bell firmware. You didn't mention wiping /data when you flashed which could be your problem. Did you install the bootstrap from the market or the tweaked version. Try pulling the battery, leave it out 10 seconds then put it back. Hold m on the hard keyboard and boot your phone. It will bring up the boot menu. Use volume down to highlight BP tools and volume up to select it. This may bring you into custom recovery where you can restore your nandroid. Let me know

I installed the bootstrap from the market, I'm not sure what the tweaked version is.

I just tried taking the battery out for 10+ seconds, placing it back and holding m+ power. That brought up the boot menu, and I scrolled down to BP tools and selected it. The M logo came up on the screen for ~30 seconds and then the screen went black. As of this writing, about 1 minute after I tried this, the screen is still black.

Any other suggestions?

That's odd, it should have either taken you into CWR or just started bootlooping again.

The easiest solution would just be to fastboot flash the brazil firmware, however that will remove you from the bell upgrade path until someone finds the bell fastboot files. There are some other things we can try however. Do you have adb on your computer?

BTW - I think Motorola "flash" cables (essentially an USB cable with +5V on pin1) could help - when such cable is used ADB automatically gets enabled upon boot, which might be helpful (CellZealot?)
    I tried using RSDLite to fastboot flash the brazil firmware, unfortunately that did not work.

The problem I encountered was a low battery. I had left the phone plugged into the wall charger, but as far as I could tell it was not charging. I then left the phone charging in the USB charger, but I could not tell if that was charging either. It looked like it was charging, albeit incredibly slowly, but after 5+ hours it still held almost no charge.

At this point my stupidity shines through, and I tried to flash the Brazil firmware on it, but because of a low battery it could only go so far before failing. After that it was stuck at an error screen.

In the end I've decided to get it exchanged, as I had just bought it a few days ago.

Once I have the new phone I'll be using this thread to properly flash it. Though would there be any interest in me backing up the phone beforehand and providing those files?

If you are on bell, when you get your new one make sure you upgrade to 2.3.6 via settings>about phone>system updates and use safestrap instead of bootstrap. Afaik safestrap works on 2.3.6 so skip my instructions on flash with rsdlite and start at rooting. This will prevent issues like this as your /system stays intact by being renamed /systemorig and /preinstall becomes your new /system. In the event of a brick custom recovery is always accessible. I don't ever leave safe mode. I've bootlooped numerous times and can always recover via safestrap. If you have any questions feel free to ask