[Resolved] Difference between odexed roms and deodexed roms

Search This thread

twistergear

Oct 17, 2011
What's the difference between an odexed rom and a deodexed rom???
And how do I find out whether my rom is deodexed or not??
Using stock gingerbread 2.3.4 ddkq5...

Sent from my GT-S5670 using XDA App

There is more technical explanation to this, but the easiest way to find out is to use root and root explorer and in your phone's /system/app normally you have the .apk and coresponding .odex to every application inside your phone. Deodexed rom (mostly Custom Rom) don't have .odex files.

Deodexed is like decompiling the application (java..etc.) and recompiling it at the same time so that the apps will work even without the .odex file. Once your rom is deodexed you can modify the look of your phone, like adding custom theme for example. this is AFAIK.

If you have a stock rom (original or update), it's not deodexed, unless it is indicated when you downloaded it.

ajhavery

May 21, 2011
Gurgaon
www.progeeky.com
What is the purpose of the .odex files?

I know very little but .odex files have something to do with dalvic cache.
This is the reason deoxed roms takes longer time to boot for the first time than odexed rom because they need to create dalvic cache for each app however odexed rom don't.
My knowledge is very little so I might be wrong.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

D@rekills4

Nov 6, 2010

Odex ROMs have their main files moved to another area for faster booting while when you deodex the ROM these files are compiled back inside the APK....

To know weather your phone is Deodexed or Odex, just open Root Explorer app and navigate to "/system/app" and check if there files with ".odex" extension....
If yes then your ROM is Odex
Otherwise, your ROM is Deodexed....

The benefits of having a Odex ROM :
1. More space in "/data" partition.
2. First boot is faster.

The benefits of having a Deodex ROM :
1. You can customize the ROM the way you want without worrying about odexes....

cyanide0007

Dec 30, 2011
mangalore
helpppp

Odex ROMs have their main files moved to another area for faster booting while when you deodex the ROM these files are compiled back inside the APK....

To know weather your phone is Deodexed or Odex, just open Root Explorer app and navigate to "/system/app" and check if there files with ".odex" extension....

2. First boot is faster.

but how to customize ??
i've installed FITDROID 3.1 by Vish Patil.. der i dnt find option to remove number of HOMESCREENS???

plz helpp.... sorry for this NOOOOOB qustn.. ":(

Reactions: JiMiTVAiDYA

mohanass

Jan 9, 2012
Auckland

2. First boot is faster.

For your point of view, which one is better odex or deodex? Thanks for the reply :)

midi_1996

Aug 8, 2011
But what if we flashed a odexed only zip file with CWM on a deodexed rom, will it harm the phone or it's ok?!

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
But what if we flashed a odexed only zip file with CWM on a deodexed rom, will it harm the phone or it's ok?!

worst case scenario, you may have to reflash your rom...
75% of the time, stuff for odexed roms won't work on deodexed roms and vice-versa...

and most of the cwm flashable zips are for deodexed roms, where did you find one for odexed one??

Reactions: midi_1996

D@rekills4

Nov 6, 2010
75% of the time, stuff for odexed roms won't work on deodexed roms and vice-versa...

and most of the cwm flashable zips are for deodexed roms, where did you find one for odexed one??

I think he meant the other way around....
Flashing deodexed ZIP on a odex ROM....

Reactions: midi_1996

midi_1996

Aug 8, 2011

I was searching for crt effect to jvu deodexed value pack and I found (odexed jvu ONLY) and it was a flashable CWM zip file.

MidianXD

Apr 15, 2012
Waldorf, Maryland

2. First boot is faster.

Great information, especially for a noob like myself. Thanks a lot!!

Reactions: Jack_Bauer_AUS

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

2. First boot is faster.

There is more technical explanation to this, but the easiest way to find out is to use root and root explorer and in your phone's /system/app normally you have the .apk and coresponding .odex to every application inside your phone. Deodexed rom (mostly Custom Rom) don't have .odex files.

Deodexed is like decompiling the application (java..etc.) and recompiling it at the same time so that the apps will work even without the .odex file. Once your rom is deodexed you can modify the look of your phone, like adding custom theme for example. this is AFAIK.

If you have a stock rom (original or update), it's not deodexed, unless it is indicated when you downloaded it.
    What is the purpose of the .odex files?

I know very little but .odex files have something to do with dalvic cache.
    This is the reason deoxed roms takes longer time to boot for the first time than odexed rom because they need to create dalvic cache for each app however odexed rom don't.
    My knowledge is very little so I might be wrong.

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk
    many confusion here

odex:- apps which are divided into two parts one is .apk and other is .odex. these apps cannot be installed normally or by just copying they needed to be flashed via recovery

mostly phone manufacturers prefer odex apps because of their less ram consumption and quick running

deodex:- those apps which have only one file which .apk no other file, they can be installed normally or by copying, because of their versatality devs use deodexed one

in a single rom odex and deodex both apps can be added don't take them as the north pole of the magnets