[ROOT] Superboot - Galaxy Nexus root solution

Search This thread

abrin

Aug 19, 2010
Not sure if I did something wrong, but here's what happened for me:

1. Unlocked boot loader using adb and fastboot oem unlock command, went fine
2. Downloaded Superboot
3. Ran install-superboot-windows.bat
-- Phone rebooted (Google lock screen was only up for maybe a second, seems weird since everyone else had to wait minutes...)
4. Checked to ensure SU was installed and root was given.
5. Installed some root apps (TI backup, RootExplorer, etc...) All work fine, messed around with TI backup and RootExplorer a bit
-- Noticed every time I reboot I get a screen that says "Upgrading Android" Hmm...
6. Installed the OTA update 4.0.2
-- Some apps no longer have root access? Can no longer update SuperUser (fails at "Gaining root access") or run TI Backup (no root access), but RootExplorer still runs fine and SAYS it's been given root permissions... I also no longer get the "Upgrading Android" screen.

Not sure if I should try again, because I really didn't like that "Upgrading Android" screen on every boot...

This is all with the VZW Galaxy Nexus, by the way.

Can anyone confirm if I do the update 4.0.2 that im getting on my device now (after i unlocked bootloader and rooted) If I will loose root and bootloader unlock???

Personally I rooted post-OTA, but I'm guessing if you OTA after root then you will have to re-root. At least it's been this way with every other Android phone I've had.

killswitch23456

Oct 23, 2010
New York
Not sure if I did something wrong, but here's what happened for me:

1. Unlocked boot loader using adb and fastboot oem unlock command, went fine
2. Downloaded Superboot
3. Ran install-superboot-windows.bat
-- Phone rebooted (Google lock screen was only up for maybe a second, seems weird since everyone else had to wait minutes...)
4. Checked to ensure SU was installed and root was given.
5. Installed some root apps (TI backup, RootExplorer, etc...) All work fine, messed around with TI backup and RootExplorer a bit
-- Noticed every time I reboot I get a screen that says "Upgrading Android" Hmm...
6. Installed the OTA update 4.0.2
-- Some apps no longer have root access? Can no longer update SuperUser (fails at "Gaining root access") or run TI Backup (no root access), but RootExplorer still runs fine and SAYS it's been given root permissions... I also no longer get the "Upgrading Android" screen.

Not sure if I should try again, because I really didn't like that "Upgrading Android" screen on every boot...

This is all with the VZW Galaxy Nexus, by the way.

You need to update, then do the process.

GaresTaylan

Jun 20, 2011
Im confused.. can someone help a mac user?

I downloaded the super boot folder and extracted it to my desktop.

I opened terminal and tried to unlock the boot loader by navigating to cd and the path to the folder on my desktop. Once I am inside that folder in terminal I typed in ./fastboot-mac but all I get is a menu of commands to use. This is what I get:

usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
flashall flash boot + recovery + system
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
erase <partition> erase a flash partition
getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
devices list all connected devices
reboot reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
-w erase userdata and cache
-s <serial number> specify device serial number
-p <product> specify product name
-c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
-i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id

beetlejelly

Jul 16, 2010
Im confused.. can someone help a mac user?

I downloaded the super boot folder and extracted it to my desktop.

I opened terminal and tried to unlock the boot loader by navigating to cd and the path to the folder on my desktop. Once I am inside that folder in terminal I typed in ./fastboot-mac but all I get is a menu of commands to use. This is what I get:

usage: fastboot [ <option> ] <command>

commands:
update <filename> reflash device from update.zip
flashall flash boot + recovery + system
flash <partition> [ <filename> ] write a file to a flash partition
erase <partition> erase a flash partition
getvar <variable> display a bootloader variable
boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] download and boot kernel
flash:raw boot <kernel> [ <ramdisk> ] create bootimage and flash it
devices list all connected devices
reboot reboot device normally
reboot-bootloader reboot device into bootloader

options:
-w erase userdata and cache
-s <serial number> specify device serial number
-p <product> specify product name
-c <cmdline> override kernel commandline
-i <vendor id> specify a custom USB vendor id

You must type...
Code:
./fastboot-mac oem unlock
You should see,
Code:
... OKAY
You should then see your phone ask if you would like to unlock it.
Then type...
Code:
./install-superboot-mac.sh
You should then see,
Code:
 downloading 'boot.img'... OKAY
booting... OKAY

mackentosh

Jun 30, 2010
Orlando FL.
I FIXED THE BOOTLOOP ISSUE

Here's what I did

1) pull battery
2) OEM LOCK
3) Reboot bootloader
4) OEM UNLOCK
5) Then I fastboot boot boot.img and it went to google logo and stayed there for a good 5 minutes, then it rebooted into the OS

Looks like we weren't being patient when we saw the Google logo the first time and pulled the battery throwing it into a boot loop

---------- Post added at 12:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:25 PM ----------

OK, after pushing the boot.img while at the google logo before it booted to the OS I got access to adb root and was able to push the bin and superuser files. I am now rooted on 4.0.2 WOOT!

This method worked for me and I too got a little impatient and pulled the battery which caused bootloops

Reactions: RubenA

reverepats

Dec 22, 2010
Boston,MA
I'd wait at least ten minutes to make sure you're not interrupting anything, then do a battery pull and try to turn it on again.

I waited for a while, did a pull and turned it back on, and it booted up fine, and rooted. :)
aight kool thanks man. Yeah its def been over ten mins now. Damn im not used to Samsungs LOL...alright lets see what happens...Thanks again!!++

EDIT....SWEET!!!>..all set man, thanks...now onto CWM!!!

Last edited:

elfarto

Jul 17, 2009
This happened to me on the GSM version when rooting 4.0.2.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

This seem to affect GSM GN users so far.
Exactly the same problem here.. Only way out is to reflash the stock image. (see below)
I waited for like 15 minutes at the "Google" screen just in case, nothing happened., removed battery, waited 10 more minutes..
I was able to recover the phone without losing my data by reflashing the 4.0.2 by booting into fastboot mode and then using this command:
Code:
fastboot flash image-yakju-icl53f.zip

Last edited:

stastnysnipes26

Mar 22, 2011
Erie, PA
Do I still need to download the samsung drivers before I do this method? Also, after it's done, can I just flash CWM via ROM manager? Thanks in advance.

Luxferro

Nov 19, 2009
Long Island, NY
This seem to affect GSM GN users so far.
Exactly the same problem here.. Only way out is to reflash the stock image. (see below)
I waited for like 15 minutes at the "Google" screen just in case, nothing happened., removed battery, waited 10 more minutes..
I was able to recover the phone without losing my data by reflashing the 4.0.2 by booting into fastboot mode and then using this command:
Code:
fastboot flash image-yakju-icl53f.zip

Mine was fine after battery pull and reboot. It was rooted as well. I guess paul needs to make some changes for his superboot for 4.0.2. cause it seems to hang for both CMDA/LTE and the GSM users.

aldouse

Jul 14, 2010
Milpitas
LTE user here... running the command "fastboot-windows oem unlock" yields the following response: <waiting for device> but nothing prompts on my phone...

i can't get it to unlock. =(

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Introducing.... Superboot! :)

Superboot is a boot.img that when booted, will root your device the first time you boot (installing su and the superuser APK). No need to flash any partitions, no need to mess around with ADB, no messing with the contents of your data partition, no overwriting the shipped ROM on your device, just boot the boot image using the instructions below and you're done!

APPLY THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!
    • Superboot r5 - DOWNLOAD - MD5: 510c4a0c5a62407550abc5e028c6fd82
    How to use Superboot - Windows, Linux and OSX

- Download the Superboot zip file above and extract to a directory
    - Put your device in bootloader mode - Turn off the phone then turn on with the 'volume up' and 'volume down' buttons both pressed to enter the bootloader (as pictured below)
    - WINDOWS - double click 'superboot-windows.bat'
    - MAC - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-mac.sh' followed by './superboot-mac.sh'
    - LINUX - Open a terminal window to the directory containing the files, and type 'chmod +x superboot-linux.sh' followed by './superboot-linux.sh'

Note: If you are using a retail device, you may need to unlock the bootloader first, using './fastboot-windows oem unlock' (or the appropriate version for your machine, included in this zip). Note that the OEM unlock sequence wipes your device, so consider doing an 'adb backup' beforehand if required!

Enjoy! :)

P

galaxynexusfastboot.png
    For those that are stuck at the Google logo.

As I stated earlier in this thread I had the exact same issue, I even pulled the battery too early once and got a boot loop. This is what I did to fix the problem:

1) Power off the device (unplug USB and pull battery if needed).
    2) Hold Vol Up and Vol Down, press Power. Keep holding until you are in the boot loader.
    3) Once you are in the boot loader, run fastboot-windows (if your using windows) in CMD. Fastboot is included in the download.
    4) Run fastboot-windows oem lock (if unlocked).
    5) Run fastboot-windows oem unlock (if locked). *This will do a factory reset*
    6) Once the above is done and you've unlocked the bootloader try to apply the root image again.
    7) Let sit for roughly 10 minutes.
    8) Plug in USB if not plugged in already, pull battery and put battery back in. The screen should not turn off. I highly doubt this does anything but I did it both times I applied this root and it booted after doing it.
    9) Let it sit until it boots up.

If the above does not work for anyone, and you are still unable to get into your phone. I have created a recovery image from the 4.0.2 LTE source. I can upload it and give instructions on how to use it. Note it will not include root. However following the above instructions should work. I did it twice and both times I was able to recover.
    Doesn't work with winrar.
    or windows
    or winzip.

File is broke.

I just downloaded it and have confirmed it is broken.

I can't remember if this is it, but I do have backups. Let me know if the files here work for you:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/21166889/Nexus/NexusAllFilesNeeded.zip
    I'm stuck in a boot loop after installing this...

I unlocked the boot loader then followed the instructions, now my phone just shows the Google logo and the unlock icon for about 10-15s then reboots into this loop. Please help...

I can still get into the boot loader, I tried to re-apply the boot image via the batch but still no luck.

EDIT: Fixed! I locked and unlocked the bootloader which forced a factor reset. Another solution would be to flash the stock image from Google.
    Updated to the latest release!

P