Samsung Exhibit II 4G Discussion

Search This thread

jms_209

Aug 13, 2011
Well I got this phone today and don't see a forum for it yet :p

It's rather new so I'm guessing thats why,but does anyone know how to root this phone(I'm a noob)....

I want to get rid of some of the useless t-mobile apps and some other samsung ones....... the thing is,I heard I need to root it first :cool:

I want to underclock the phone while I play music(screen off) :D

I want to know if this phone has voodoo sound or whatever it's called.....how do i get a detailed list of what does phone has inside....

Can anyone point me in the right direction please :rolleyes:

Last edited:

youthcom

Jun 22, 2011
Are there any methods to unroot this phone yet? I might want to return it to Amazon.com since it doesn't work with my grandfather $30 data plan for data.

Already activated the $30 Monthly 4g plan, but prepaid doesn't doesn't get data roaming so I think I may want to stick with the old postpaid plan & try to find another 4g wifi hotspot phone that it'll work with.

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
Are there any methods to unroot this phone yet? I might want to return it to Amazon.com since it doesn't work with my grandfather $30 data plan for data.

Already activated the $30 Monthly 4g plan, but prepaid doesn't doesn't get data roaming so I think I may want to stick with the old postpaid plan & try to find another 4g wifi hotspot phone that it'll work with.

If you go into root explorer/browser and go into the system folder then go into the apps and find the superuser apk you can delete, if you restart you shouldn't have the superuser application thus no evidence that it was rooted

youthcom

Jun 22, 2011
If you go into root explorer/browser and go into the system folder then go into the apps and find the superuser apk you can delete, if you restart you shouldn't have the superuser application thus no evidence that it was rooted

And that Terminal app too. Then a factory default restore? I wasn't sure if it would be that simple. Thought the process of rooting would leave some evidence of tampering that could only be wiped by flashing the stock rom. I haven't change anything after rooting other then freezing the Tether Manager apk.

s0unds

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2011
I can't get Odin v4.43 to talk to the phone.

Apparently there's a new release, Odin v4.44, which has support for our phones (look for the model code, T679). Can I ask for your help?

If you can find Odin v4.44 on the internet, please download it and send me a PM. I tried looking at sammobile.com but I can't figure out where it would be. Maybe you can take a look there.

I found these files on the phone:
  • /system/app/IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk
  • /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so
Yes, the Exhibit ii 4g comes with Carrier IQ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_IQ#Rootkit_discovery_and_media_attention). You may be being tracked by the FBI (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ement-purposes-refuses-to-release-records.ars).

Last edited:

nk_blu

Apr 28, 2010
I just got myself the Bell's "Galaxy W" and it's is NOT a real Galaxy W (i8150). It is identical to Exhibit II in terms of specs and, hell, even the actual model number: SGH-T679, but it has a suffix "M" at the end.

I don't know if it supports AWS, even though the box says it supports 850/1900 HSPA. Once I get a hold of Wind Mobile (AWS service provider here), I'll give it a try.

I rooted using Superoneclick 2.3.1

Last edited:

s0unds

Dec 1, 2011
I just got myself the Bell's "Galaxy W" and it's is NOT a real Galaxy W (i8150). It is identical to Exhibit II in terms of specs
That's very interesting. What specs did it have?

The Galaxy W and the Exhibit II are almost identical, and then the SGH-T679M, Bell Canada's model, is a Galaxy W.

Last edited:

nk_blu

Apr 28, 2010
Sorry for double post, but here are screenshots from antutu and picture i took with my other phone.

Attachments

• 20111214_210120.jpg
    20111214_210120.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 455
  • SC20111214-210701.png
    SC20111214-210701.png
    63.6 KB · Views: 328
  • SC20111214-210708.png
    SC20111214-210708.png
    71.9 KB · Views: 281
  • SC20111214-210716jpg.jpg
    SC20111214-210716jpg.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 266

s0unds

Dec 1, 2011
Sorry for double post, but here are screenshots from antutu and picture i took with my other phone.
Ok! I stand corrected. The Bell Canada SGH-T679M is an Exhibit II.

I can tell because the Galaxy W has a 1400MHz CPU. (The Exhibit II has a 1024MHz CPU.)

Also, the Galaxy W has a 5 megapixel rear-facing camera. The Exhibit II has the smaller 3.1 megapixel camera. The front-facing camera is also different, but I don't know the exact differences.

I got all this info from the Device DB link up at the top of the page. My best guess at why? T-Mobile and Bell Canada wanted a cheaper phone, since these phones are at the bottom of their price range.

stubbakatt

Nov 27, 2011
Philly
Odin 4.43 does recognize the SGH-T679. I'm using the Ancora.ops and currently flashing the recovery image. Hopefully it works....I'm about 4 minutes into the process.

Success! I was able to use Odin 4.43 to flash the recovery .md5 file to my Exhibit II SGH-T679. My phone is now back to stock! I had screwed everything up after rooting it and deleting too many system apps.

Thanks to s0unds, who indirectly helped me.

Now we just need some roms!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I can't get Odin v4.43 to talk to the phone.

Apparently there's a new release, Odin v4.44, which has support for our phones (look for the model code, T679). Can I ask for your help?

If you can find Odin v4.44 on the internet, please download it and send me a PM. I tried looking at sammobile.com but I can't figure out where it would be. Maybe you can take a look there.

I found these files on the phone:
  • /system/app/IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk
  • /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so
Yes, the Exhibit ii 4g comes with Carrier IQ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carrier_IQ#Rootkit_discovery_and_media_attention). You may be being tracked by the FBI (http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/...ement-purposes-refuses-to-release-records.ars).

I'm not sure why 4.43 didn't work for you, but it recognized my Exhibit II with no problem. After I put it into download mode and connected to the PC, it recognized the device right away.

Reactions: s0unds

md1008

Dec 9, 2011
Success! I was able to use Odin 4.43 to flash the recovery .md5 file to my Exhibit II SGH-T679. My phone is now back to stock! I had screwed everything up after rooting it and deleting too many system apps.

Thanks to s0unds, who indirectly helped me.

Now we just need some roms!

---------- Post added at 08:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:57 PM ----------

I'm not sure why 4.43 didn't work for you, but it recognized my Exhibit II with no problem. After I put it into download mode and connected to the PC, it recognized the device right away.

I deleted some system apps I didn't know I deleted, I have never used odin just CWM any way you could help me get back to stock via tutorial or right here on the forum. I know how to get into Odin but that's about it how do you flash back to stock rom, how do you even get stock rom?

stubbakatt

Nov 27, 2011
Philly
Getting back to stock in Samsung Exhibit II

I put this together so that it may help others who need to return their Samsung Exhibit II 4G SGH-T679 back to stock condition. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it did work for me. I am not responsible for further damages for your phone.

1. If your phone is rooted, then you surely have the correct Samsung drivers installed to your PC already. The first time I connected my Exhibit II, all the drivers were automatically downloaded.

2. With your phone powered off, go into the Download (or Odin) mode by pressing the volume down and power buttons. When the screen with the exclamation mark appears, select the volume up button. You should now be in download mode.

3. Connect your Exhibit II to your PC.

2. Download this file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425803/SGH-T679.zip and extract all the files.

3. Open Odin Multi Downloader v4.43.exe .

4. click on the OPS-Button and navigate to the folder with the extracted files and select Ancora.ops file.

5. Select the options: One Package, Protect OPS. I did not touch the Auto Reboot, Reset Time options.

6.Click on the One Package-Button and select the md5 file in the extracted folder.

7. Click on the Start button. The flashing process took around 5 minutes for me, at which point the phone rebooted into recovery mode to finish the process. I selected reboot the system.

Last edited:

Volnutt

Feb 2, 2011
This is amazing. Exactly what I was looking for!

But here's the thing:
I accidentally flashed my Exhibit II 4G with Galaxy W i8150 from a guide, since I thought that the Exhibit II and the Galaxy W were the same. (They are variants, right?) Anyways, I can't get into download/odin mode using the key press. :< I can enter recovery mode, but only through ROM Manager.

I should mention that the keys are all flopped
Home = back
Menu = Menu
Search = Home
Back = Menu

I just can't get it into ODIN mode. :< Any tips? All I need is ODIN mode and I'm good to go.

EDIT: It appears that in recovery mode, the keys are normal. (Home being the selection, up/down as up/down, and back as back.)

EDIT 2: When use the Exhibit II ODIN mode key combo, the phone goes black and vibrates. Then it boots normally. D:

Last edited:

slimym

Dec 3, 2011
The i8150 is a different phone than the T679. Confusing, I know. In Canada, the T679M is also called the Galaxy W - but different specs from the European Galaxy W. Different button arrangement too.

Sent from my SGH-T679M using XDA App

clay21

Oct 16, 2011

Volnutt

Feb 2, 2011
Last edited:
Reactions: Janeal1613

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Getting back to stock in Samsung Exhibit II

I put this together so that it may help others who need to return their Samsung Exhibit II 4G SGH-T679 back to stock condition. I can't guarantee that it will work for you, but it did work for me. I am not responsible for further damages for your phone.

1. If your phone is rooted, then you surely have the correct Samsung drivers installed to your PC already. The first time I connected my Exhibit II, all the drivers were automatically downloaded.

2. With your phone powered off, go into the Download (or Odin) mode by pressing the volume down and power buttons. When the screen with the exclamation mark appears, select the volume up button. You should now be in download mode.

3. Connect your Exhibit II to your PC.

2. Download this file http://dl.dropbox.com/u/425803/SGH-T679.zip and extract all the files.

3. Open Odin Multi Downloader v4.43.exe .

4. click on the OPS-Button and navigate to the folder with the extracted files and select Ancora.ops file.

5. Select the options: One Package, Protect OPS. I did not touch the Auto Reboot, Reset Time options.

6.Click on the One Package-Button and select the md5 file in the extracted folder.

7. Click on the Start button. The flashing process took around 5 minutes for me, at which point the phone rebooted into recovery mode to finish the process. I selected reboot the system.
    Root for Samsung Exhibit II 4G

The root for the Exhibit 4G by nocturnalmike works with the Exhibit II 4G as well.
    I got mine yesterday and rooted it today.
    Here a link to the thread.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1275415&page=3

Like it said, just unzip and run the .bat file. Wait for it to finish and your rooted.

Just be sure that all drivers are installed and you can access the phone storage from windows. I installed Samsung Kies because Windows didn't find any driver for mine.
    USB Debugging should also be enabled on the phone.

Hope this helps.
    Is there any way to remove the crappy Tmobile boot and shutdown animation and sounds?

To get rid of the startup and shutdown sounds, you'll need to be rooted and then use Root Explorer, EF File Explorer, or adb to find these files on your phone:

system/media/audio/ui/PowerOff.wav
    system/etc/PowerOn.wav

I replaced mine with silent sound files that I made using Windows sound recorder with my mic turned off. You can probably just delete them, if you prefer.

On a side note, to everyone working on a ROM for the Exhibit II, I'm cheering you on. Wish I could help, but I'm too noob. Mucho thanks in advance.
    Our Update

Thanks to Seriiez, I have a copy of the update in tar format. Basically, it's a new bloat-filled rom with a new kernel. The only root method thus far is to flash my rooted kernel. However, this drops you back a kernel version to 2.6.35.7. You can also flash cwm with the stock recovery (no, you don't need to rename it update.zip) and install the rom of your choice, more or less putting you back to square one.

Still, this will drop you back 2.6.35. This will not change until we get source code for the new kernel and root it.

Pulling an update from the new release to patch current systems would be a bear. What I've got to work with is a kernel w/o source and a system partition. Identifying which bits are new and which are old in the new /system partition isn't something I want to undertake.

Still, it's possible to build a debloated rom using the current material. That's what I'm going work on this weekend, among other things :)
    Hey, thanks to the guys who are trying to make a custom rom for this phone!
    Removing "System Manager App" is pretty effective at removing Carrier IQ. I think you might want to also do this:
    1. Warning: no guarantee this will work for you. People will probably put together an app to remove Carrier IQ, so I will edit this post to point to that. This is an experimental procedure that might work for you, or it might not.

2. Warning: after doing this, you will not be able to get firmware info by dialing *#1234#. Please dial *#1234# now and write down the information reported so you have access to it later.

3. Root your phone (post #3 on this thread has a link to instructions). This will install 'adb' on your computer as part of that process. Use it for the next step.

4. Use adb to save the files you are about to delete from your phone. You can open command prompt in windows or terminal on mac / linux, and type: adb pull /system/app/IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk, then press enter.

5. Browse to the current directory, shown in the prompt (command prompt or shell prompt). e.g. for Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>

6. Check that a file named IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk is there. If not, you don't have a backup. Windows may call the file IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1 and hide the ".apk" extension.

7. Now go back to the command prompt and type adb pull /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so

8. Check that a file named libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so (or it may be missing ".so") shows up in the directory listing.

9. Close the command prompt or shell on your computer.

10. attachment.php
      Open the Terminal Emulator application from the phone's apps. (This next part does not use the computer.)

11. Type: su (and press enter). You may then be prompted to grant privileges to "Superuser." If you are asked, grant the privileges.

12. Type: mount -o remount,rw /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 /system (press enter). Hint: there's a lower-case o after the first -, then an o in remount and block, but it's a zero in mmcblk0p15.

13. Type: rm /system/app/IQ-tmobile-release-signed-zipaligned-v1.1.apk /system/lib/libiq_service_tmobile_2.2.so (press enter). This will remove the Carrier IQ files from your phone.

14. Unless you already followed bomberbadj's instructions to remove "System Manager Application," the phone will now warn you over and over that "System Manager Application" is failing. You have to click the "force close" button on that warning, over and over, while completing the rest of the process. (This part is where the process could really use some polish.)
      attachment.php
      (I know this says Email, not System Manager Application)

15. Power off the phone by holding down the power button for a few seconds, then selecting "Power Off"

16. Power the phone back on by holding down the power button.

17. Now you will not be warned over and over about "System Manager Application," and the Carrier IQ files have been completely removed. Please post a note saying whether this worked for you or not.