Devs needed for TWRP port

Search This thread

sl0ttedpig

Nov 18, 2011
Wisconsin
It seems as tho i bricked mine, i followed instructions and booted into twrp then hit reboot and got stuck at the yellow triangle, can't get adb or fastboot to work and ican press the power button a thousand times and it doesn't boot me into recovery. If any one has any ideas i'd be very appreciative.

Never fear! There is generally always a way out of these situations, it just takes someone else to have the same situation to come to rescue! :)

So, what you will need to do is (NOTE: This is Windows Only, although the commands may work for you on other platforms after Step 2):

1. Reboot your PC. The reason is that it still thinks your Android device is still connected (you'll see this in Device Manager).
2. Once rebooted, connect your Kindle again via USB. You'll probably hear 3 tones (which means it recognized a device, but didn't load any drivers). In device manager, you'll see a device just called "kindle" or "unknown" with an exclamation point by it. At this point, you'll need to install drivers for it again. Pick "Browse my computer for driver software" BUT don't browse, just click on "Let me pick from a list...", and select "Android Phone" and then pick the newest "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list. I think you may have 4.0.0.0 or something similar (you may have only a 2.x version possibly depending on which drivers you loaded to root your phone).
3. Once you've done that, you'll need to run the following:

Code:
fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot -i 0x1949 reboot

If that doesn't work you could try some different iterations depending on the state of your install.

Code:
fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot reboot

OR

Code:
fastboot -i 0x18d1 oem idme bootmode 4000
fastboot -i 0x18d1 reboot

Hopefully at that point, things will look rosy again! :D

Last edited:

neilrl79

Aug 15, 2010
Maryland
Never fear! There is generally always a way out of these situations, it just takes someone else to have the same situation to come to rescue! :)

So, what you will need to do is:

1. Reboot your PC. The reason is that it still thinks your Android device is still connected (you'll see this in Device Manager).
2. Once rebooted, connect your Kindle again via USB. You'll probably hear 3 tones (which means it recognized a device, but didn't load any drivers). In device manager, you'll see a device just called "kindle" with an exclamation point by it. At this point, you'll need to install drivers for it again. Pick "Browse my computer for driver software" BUT don't browse, just click on "Let me pick from a list...", and select "Android Phone" and then pick the newest "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list. I think you may have 4.0.0.0 or something similar (you may have only a 2.x version possibly depending on which drivers you loaded to root your phone).

Code:

Going to try it now...

UPDATE: Holy ****! You sir are awesome! I'm editing this post from my now un-bricked fire.

Last edited:

rukin5197

Jul 26, 2011
This is not a rom, so you wont you have rom installing directions.

No no no. What I'm saying is that now we have root, recovery, and roms, somebody should post a guide that teaches us all in one. How to root. How to get flash recovery, and how to install the ROM. It would be useful for people like me who are getting it for christmas and don't want to be using 8 different websites trying to achieve cm7 on your fire.

gaurav2328

Sep 2, 2009

2. Once rebooted, connect your Kindle again via USB. You'll probably hear 3 tones (which means it recognized a device, but didn't load any drivers). In device manager, you'll see a device just called "kindle" with an exclamation point by it. At this point, you'll need to install drivers for it again. Pick "Browse my computer for driver software" BUT don't browse, just click on "Let me pick from a list...", and select "Android Phone" and then pick the newest "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list. I think you may have 4.0.0.0 or something similar (you may have only a 2.x version possibly depending on which drivers you loaded to root your phone).

Code:

I am struck at the same place and tried to follow your instructions but windows isn't even recognizing half the time, when it recognizes it lists it as unknown device in device manager and when I try to update the driver - it does not take the edited google-usb drivers any more. I tried running the command buut Fastboot keeps waiting for device..

Any solutions..

fleton

Feb 5, 2011

Code:

It worked! I was also scared I had bricked my device. Thank you so much! :D

ags29

Jun 15, 2010
New York, NY
I am struck at the same place and tried to follow your instructions but windows isn't even recognizing half the time, when it recognizes it lists it as unknown device in device manager and when I try to update the driver - it does not take the edited google-usb drivers any more. I tried running the command buut Fastboot keeps waiting for device..

Any solutions..

I'm in the same situation.

Houndog101

Feb 16, 2011
Fallston, Md.

Code:

I'm in the same boat, and tried this, problem is device shows up as unknown, not kindle, it says driver is incompatible with device.. and when i give it fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000 it stays at "waiting for device".
A lot of people are having this same problem, some aren't, not sure why..Thanks for your help.

smirkis

Oct 8, 2010
San Diego, CA
I'm in the same boat, and tried this, problem is device shows up as unknown, not kindle, it says driver is incompatible with device.. and when i give it fastboot -i 0x1949 oem idme bootmode 4000 it stays at "waiting for device".
A lot of people are having this same problem, some aren't, not sure why..Thanks for your help.

unknown is fine, hit update driver, choose Android phone or anything Android related. I had to choose my asus drivers, select generic adb device then it'll recognize it for fastboot commands. I was up for hours trying to figure this out last night!

after u get those drivers, fastboot commands should work.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using xda premium

andTab

Nov 20, 2011
Ok. At this point there is 10 different instructions, 2 different versions, and lots of problems.
Since I cannot get it to work - otherwise I would gladly volunteer - can someone post proper instructions how to get this to work? The (official?) TeamWin instructions obviously are missing stuff and do not work!

rodneym13

Apr 9, 2010
Springfield
I'm stuck on the Kindle fire screen after trying to in stall Recovery I used the FASTBOOT method but said it couldn't find FASTBOOT.

ADB shell

su ( #)

idme bootmode 4002 ( worked)

fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img ( this is where it said cant find Fast boot) I looked in my Android folder and couldn't find FASTBOOT.EXE

any suggestions??? Im bricked as of now it will turn Off but wont boot

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
fastboot -i 0x1949 boot twrp-blaze-2.0.0RC0.img ( this is where it said cant find Fast boot) I looked in my Android folder and couldn't find FASTBOOT.EXE

You need to download the fastboot.exe file.

It is including in another post in a file.zip file.

See PM.

Last edited:

iceshock

Jul 25, 2008
I'm stuck on the Kindle fire screen after trying to in stall Recovery I used the FASTBOOT method but said it couldn't find FASTBOOT.

ADB shell

su ( #)

idme bootmode 4002 ( worked)

Fastboot doesn't work from adb ;) open a second command line window for that command. After that, it'll be waiting for the device. In the first window where u r in recovery type reboot recovery.

There is a idme bootmode 4000 command to reboot out of recovery. It's in this thread I believe. If u dont it will likely hang up on reboot. Don't worry that command will get u out of that too.

Sent from my PG86100 using XDA App

sl0ttedpig

Nov 18, 2011
Wisconsin
Ok. At this point there is 10 different instructions, 2 different versions, and lots of problems.
Since I cannot get it to work - otherwise I would gladly volunteer - can someone post proper instructions how to get this to work? The (official?) TeamWin instructions obviously are missing stuff and do not work!

I would agree, there are a lot of posts, and the 2 different versions haven't helped, however, people are in various different states, so posting a proper process may get you to where you want to be if you currently have never applied any of the TWRP or FireFireFire code, however, it won't help get people back to a running state. There are already posts popping up with end to end instructions for different OS platforms.

I think there are a lot of really good folks on this forum, and we'll help where we can to get people running, just try and explain where you are and how you got there (and which OS you're using), and someone will make a suggestion. From what I've seen (and done myself), it's actually pretty hard to totally brick these things! :)

Reactions: fbm111

alchemyst

Nov 9, 2008

This tbf. Been a bit of a mess (though not to knock the efforts of the devs, testers and just as importantly, the people helping out others on here.)

Think Ill wait for a few days for everything to clear and see where we are.

krelvinaz

Feb 20, 2008
Mesa AZ
I just did the whole process for the first time without any issues.

I had watched what a lot of others were doing and seeing what they kept running into... They were:

o Didn't have Fastboot.exe
o Missing step to reboot the device
o needed to reload the Device Driver after the fastboot command for it to continue

I had no problem doing the install and did my first backup of my stock Kindle Fire system for the first time.

I use an app called Quick Boot to easily reboot and now I can get to recovery without having to think about it.

In TWRP, I got stuck (I thought) when I clicked on the little screen icon on the top left of the display. It displayed log info, but I couldn't figure out how to get out of it.... Turned out, you click the screen icon again.. the other icons didn't do anything.

Would be nice if when doing a backup, you could enter a comment and have that saved with the backup info along with the date.

Reactions: emelie and pyrostic

jutley

Mar 23, 2006
UK
I recommend highly to use the new kindle 1.0 utility it's simple and amazing and very simple moderators should sticky it.

Reactions: RJ McKenzie

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems as tho i bricked mine, i followed instructions and booted into twrp then hit reboot and got stuck at the yellow triangle, can't get adb or fastboot to work and ican press the power button a thousand times and it doesn't boot me into recovery. If any one has any ideas i'd be very appreciative.

So, what you will need to do is (NOTE: This is Windows Only, although the commands may work for you on other platforms after Step 2):

2. Once rebooted, connect your Kindle again via USB. You'll probably hear 3 tones (which means it recognized a device, but didn't load any drivers). In device manager, you'll see a device just called "kindle" or "unknown" with an exclamation point by it. At this point, you'll need to install drivers for it again. Pick "Browse my computer for driver software" BUT don't browse, just click on "Let me pick from a list...", and select "Android Phone" and then pick the newest "Android Composite ADB Interface" from the list. I think you may have 4.0.0.0 or something similar (you may have only a 2.x version possibly depending on which drivers you loaded to root your phone).

Code:

If that doesn't work you could try some different iterations depending on the state of your install.

Code:
    fastboot oem idme bootmode 4000
    fastboot reboot

OR

Code:
    fastboot -i 0x18d1 oem idme bootmode 4000
    fastboot -i 0x18d1 reboot

Updates

Another update, having a few issues, good news is I'm not blocked from pulling files from ADB anymore. Also I'll be posting a few updates here and there at my twitter if you would like to follow. @Pyrostic

P.S. Maybe this will renew your faith. #TWRP on my Kindle Fire

20111207_165612.jpg
    Sorry I was out all day but I can lend you my fire. I live in south austin so send me a pm with the details and how you wanna do this.

Edit: I will be doing stuff all weekend so I won't have time to use it much so if you want to have it from friday-sunday just let me know.
    I'm preparing to pull 5 random testers to get live working TWRP build for the kindle fire shortly...

Sent from my SPH-D710 using xda premium
    And as a good-night update, I've got TWRP 2 booting recovery directly, without adb pushing anything. Only problem remaining is the touchscreen calibration is a bit off (which is an easy fix).