Samsung Offers Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich Upgrade for GALAXY devices

Search This thread

ghost13

http://global.samsungtomorrow.com/?p=8894

woooooooooooooooooo hoooooooooooo

Samsung Electronics plan to provide the Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich update for GALAXY devices. The platform update for GALAXY S II and GALAXY Note will start in the first quarter 2012, and other GALAXY devices will soon follow.

The ICS-upgradable devices are the GALAXY S II, GALAXY S II LTE, GALAXY Note, GALAXY R, GALAXY Tab 10.1, GALAXY Tab 8.9, GALAXY Tab 7.7, and GALAXY Tab 7.0 Plus.

For upgradable models, Samsung will make separate announcements on details of OS updates schedule for each market according to market situation and carriers’ requirements.

Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich and Samsung GALAXY Nexus, the first Ice Cream Sandwich powered smartphone, were first unveiled at a Google/Samsung joint news conference in Hong Kong on October 19th.

Ice Cream Sandwich brings an entirely new look and feel to Android. It has a redesigned user interface with improved multi-tasking, notifications, Wi-Fi hotspot, NFC support and a full Web browsing experience. Ice Cream Sandwich also features a new People App which lets users browse pictures, messages and social network updates from friends, family and co-workers.

Ice Cream Sandwich also introduces innovations such as Face Unlock, which uses facial recognition to unlock the smartphone. Using NFC technology, Android Beam allows users to quickly share Web pages, apps and YouTube™ videos with friends by simply tapping two phones back-to-back. Users can even use fun effects while shooting video or video chatting with Google Talk™.

ljt1316

Dec 7, 2011
They don't list the skyrocket specifically, does it fall under the S II LTE category then?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using XDA App

mimart7

Nov 30, 2011
NYC
Once a version for our phones is available, someone will post it up here. Or better yet an ICS rom may be available. Why wait for an OTA update, when you can get it here first?

KewlRobD

Oct 13, 2006
Once a version for our phones is available, someone will post it up here. Or better yet an ICS rom may be available. Why wait for an OTA update, when you can get it here first?

Because some of us don't want to go down the Cooked Rom Road. Used to do it with my other phones but I need this one to be stable for business purposes. Don't want to be re-flashing and re-configuring every few days just to trade old bugs for new bugs. I love being on the cutting edge but between working, being a home owner and a dad I just don't have the time to do it right.

mimart7

Nov 30, 2011
NYC
Because some of us don't want to go down the Cooked Rom Road. Used to do it with my other phones but I need this one to be stable for business purposes. Don't want to be re-flashing and re-configuring every few days just to trade old bugs for new bugs. I love being on the cutting edge but between working, being a home owner and a dad I just don't have the time to do it right.

Agreed. If your phone is for business, then yes one should wait for an OTA update. Rock steady stability, is of greater importance than having a rom that is potentially buggy.

the2rrell

Jun 27, 2011

well im sure there will be a stable port.........but i understand you view as well. sometimes you just have to have something that WORKS 100%

Reactions: GeezyF.Ladies

s0cal

Jun 26, 2011
They don't list the skyrocket specifically, does it fall under the S II LTE category then?

If you guys havent heard, they arent upgrading us to android 4.0. They are listing the international version ONLY. Galaxy S II (International), we are Galaxy S II Skyrocket...

Fortune090

Jun 26, 2008

Thaaat's what we like to see. ;) Annoying when people post false statements without any sources. They wouldn't NOT release an update when the phone came out just a month before ICS. They even updated the Captivate to GB way back when even when that update came out quite awhile later...

Reactions: GalaxySkyrocket500

drjonze

Mar 17, 2011
Toronto
I think I had the stock Samsung rom on my phone for all of 4 hours. I've got ICS on my SGS, no need to wait.

jedah

Jun 10, 2008

orb_526

Aug 20, 2010
They even updated the Captivate to GB way back when even when that update came out quite awhile later...

I have a Captivate and thinking about going with the SR but I must clarify, that the Captivate on AT&T has no Gingerbread update still! Of course I have been on GB for months on various custom ROM's. Every now and then I think about the people that are still on Froyo and it is hard to swallow. This is one reason that I would hesitate on the SR. Samsung may provide updates but AT&T takes FOREVER to test and release them. This phone is my daily driver and I am a heavy corporate user. I have had good luck with custom ROM's and would have to continue down this same path if I got a SR. Frankly, there are so many other benefits to custom ROM's that I would probably go that route even if I had a Galaxy Nexus.

billownz

Dec 15, 2010
Well, if att messes this up we can always port from rogers or T-Mobile

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using xda premium

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts