[FAQ] Recovery-Mode, Download-Mode, RAMDUMP-Mode and more ...(Samsung Galaxy W/I8150)

Search This thread

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
Overview

1. Recovery
2. Download-Mode
3. RAMDUMP-Mode
4. What is Root ? Why should I root my SGW ?

4.1 How can I root my Samsung Galaxy W ?
4.2 How can I undo the rooting of my Samsung Galaxy W ?​

5. What are Custom ROMs ?
6. What is overclocking ?
7. What is flashing for ?

7.1 How can I flash a firmware ?​

8. What is the IMEI-Number?

8.1 How can I view the IMEI-Number?​

9. Sales Code
10. Net/SIM-Lock Status
11. Several Dialer Codes

1. Recovery-Mode

While switched off, keep the following buttons pressed. Release the power-button once the Samsung Galaxy W(I8150) is switched on and keep pressing the Home- and Volume Up-button.

Recovery1.jpg

As soon as you see the Android with the box, release the Home- and Volume Up-button.
Recovery2.jpg

After you hit the menu-button shown on the last image, the screen will gray out, you will have to wait until the recovery menu appears.

• reboot system now
    Reboots the system.
  • apply sdcard:update.zip
    Install diverse updates like themes, custom roms etc.
  • wipe data/factory reset
    Deletes all the apps, data and system settings(Files on the external SD-card will stay untouched)
  • wipe cache partition
    Only wipes (formats) /cache partition (sometimes used as temp storage for updates, market downloads, etc) it hasn't anything common with Dalvik-cache which is in /data by default and it implies that the following boot after wiping cache partition will not be any longer than usually.

2. Download-Mode

While switched off, keep the following buttons pressed. Release the power-button once the Samsung Galaxy W(I8150) is switched on.

Download-1.jpg

Download2.jpg

The download-mode is being used to flash firmwares, without using the official method of Samsung Kies. This should be reachable even if you have a corrupted firmware installed.

3. RAMDUMP-Mode

While switched off, keep the following buttons pressed. Release the power-button once the Samsung Galaxy W(I8150) is switched on.

RAMDUMP.jpg

Rooting the phone gives you all adminstrator rights, like you are used to on the PC.
Advantages:
  • All apps, also the sytem-apps like the ones from Samsung etc. are deletable (Titanium Backup required)
  • You can make your apps free from advertisements (AdAway,AdFree etc.)
  • All directories are viewable and editable (with ES Explorer or Root Explorer)
  • Swapping external SD and internal SD(with some tweaks)
Disadvantages:
  • Officially: losing the warranty (but after unrooting or reflashing firmware, no evidence of rooting left)

Here is a detailed HowTo with different methods of rooting.

4.2 How can I undo the rooting of my Samsung Galaxy W ?

Therefore you will have to unroot your device this is also described in this HowTo. It is of importance to choose the right method to unroot your SGW.

Custom ROMs are customized firmwares developed by different developers. They are very often better in peformance, because they can free up from bloatware(apps which are unnecessary for most of us) and can be optimized according to the need.

Most famous custom ROMs are: CyanogenMod (CM) and Android Open Kang Project (AOKP)

CM7 = CyanogenMod with Android 2.3.+ (Gingerbread)
CM9 = CyanogenMod with Android 4.0.+ (Ice Cream Sandwich)
CM10 = CyanogenMod with Android 4.1.+ (Jelly Bean)

By overclocking the processor, you can increase the clock rate and gain more performance (of course it has to run stable). The default clock rate is set at 1401MHz(1,4GHz) for the Samsung Galaxy W. Increasing the clock rate usually provokes a growth of temperature.

Underclocking is also possible, which might improve battery life.

If you have gained root access, you will be able to delete important apps which may be necessary for android to work. Deleting these apps could end up with a boot loop(the phone stucks at the bootscreen) or other problems. In this case flashing is the only possibility to get the phone running again.

7.1 How can I flash a firmware ?

Here is a detailed HowTo

The International Mobile Station Equipment Identity (IMEI) is a unique 15-digit serial number, with this a GSM- or UMTS-device can be identified

8.1 How can I view the IMEI-Number?

Open the your dialer app and type
Code:
*#06#
9. Sales Code

Code:
*#272*IMEI-Number#
Changing the sales code causes a hardreset !!!

10. Net/SIM-Lock Status

Code:
*#7465625#

11. Several Dialer Codes

Phone Information:
Code:
*#*#4636#*#*
PDA, Phone, CSC, Build time, Changelist number:
Code:
*#*#44336#*#*
Modify Bandwide of GSM/WCDMA:
Code:
*#*#2263#
Hard Reset:
Code:
*2767*3855#
Touch Screen Test:
Code:
*#*#2664#*#*
Proximity Sensor Test:
Code:
*#*#0588#*#*
GPS Test:
Code:
*#*#1575#*#*
Melody Test:
Code:
*#*#0673#*#*
Shows WiFi MAC address:
Code:
*#*#232338#*#*
WiFi Test:
Code:
*#*#526#*#*

Please help me, to improve this thread. Whether it is an advice, a spelling or grammar mistake, please let me know, so I can correct it.

Last edited:

sumerduk

Dec 9, 2011
in recovery mode, if i reboot it (the 1st choice) does it will wipe out all internal n external data?

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
in recovery mode, if i reboot it (the 1st choice) does it will wipe out all internal n external data?

Your question isn't very precise, so I guess you mean to ask whether it will delete your external and internal sd, if you select wipe data.

The external sd card will stay untouched. I am not 100% sure about the internal sd, usually it should stay untouched too. But I would advise you to make a Backup of the internal sd and, if you want to be on the safest side you should take out the external sd ;-D.

greets

THE-E

sumerduk

Dec 9, 2011
Now downloading the ori FW to get it back to 2.3.5

Best of Luck to Me ![/QUOTE]

if you already rooted in 2.3.5 and want to maintain the root in 2.3.6 you just need to update via phone (wifi) only and not kies. it'll install crucial new update only. if you update via kies or odin it'll install whole new firmware.

what i've noticed, update 2.3.6 via kies it need to download almost 500mb of data but only 15.33mb if via phone (wifi)

mine updated via phone (wifi), work perfectly and maintain rooted after update. but one of my friends lost the root after updated via kies. :)

---------- Post added at 08:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 AM ----------

Your question isn't very precise, so I guess you mean to ask whether it will delete your external and internal sd, if you select wipe data.

The external sd card will stay untouched. I am not 100% sure about the internal sd, usually it should stay untouched too. But I would advise you to make a Backup of the internal sd and, if you want to be on the safest side you should take out the external sd ;-D.

greets

THE-E
so,what is the function of "reboot the system" in the recovery mode? sorry for asking stupid question.

klingel_One

Nov 10, 2011
I have a quick question. Do I need root to flash CWM via Odin?
I really like to flash KezraPlanes Rom afterwords.

mokkf82

Oct 6, 2011
Nope, no root needed.

Inviato dal mio GT-I8150 usando Tapatalk

Hi Guys,

I'm just bought this Galaxy W. I install the Kies and when plug in my phone, it prompt me to update firmware. I click yes and leave it there for more than 1 hour.
Now it loaded with new firmware 2.3.6
So do I need rooted for this?
Sorry if this is noob question.:p

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
Just added the code to check the SIM/Net-Lock status.

Are there more hidden codes left ? If so please let me know, I will add them.

greets

THE-E

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
I have added an overview, a couple of questions and have resorted a bit.
I ask you to help me improving this FAQ in whatever way you can (questions, advices, spelling correction, etc.).

greets

THE-E

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Overview

1. Recovery
    2. Download-Mode
    3. RAMDUMP-Mode

4.2 How can I undo the rooting of my Samsung Galaxy W ?​

7.1 How can I flash a firmware ?​

8.1 How can I view the IMEI-Number?​

9. Sales Code
    10. Net/SIM-Lock Status
    11. Several Dialer Codes

1. Recovery-Mode

While switched off, keep the following buttons pressed. Release the power-button once the Samsung Galaxy W(I8150) is switched on and keep pressing the Home- and Volume Up-button.

Recovery1.jpg

As soon as you see the Android with the box, release the Home- and Volume Up-button.
    Recovery2.jpg

After you hit the menu-button shown on the last image, the screen will gray out, you will have to wait until the recovery menu appears.

• reboot system now
      Reboots the system.
    • apply sdcard:update.zip
      Install diverse updates like themes, custom roms etc.
    • wipe data/factory reset
      Deletes all the apps, data and system settings(Files on the external SD-card will stay untouched)
    • wipe cache partition
      Only wipes (formats) /cache partition (sometimes used as temp storage for updates, market downloads, etc) it hasn't anything common with Dalvik-cache which is in /data by default and it implies that the following boot after wiping cache partition will not be any longer than usually.

2. Download-Mode

Download-1.jpg

Download2.jpg

The download-mode is being used to flash firmwares, without using the official method of Samsung Kies. This should be reachable even if you have a corrupted firmware installed.

3. RAMDUMP-Mode

RAMDUMP.jpg

Rooting the phone gives you all adminstrator rights, like you are used to on the PC.
    Advantages:
    • All apps, also the sytem-apps like the ones from Samsung etc. are deletable (Titanium Backup required)
    • You can make your apps free from advertisements (AdAway,AdFree etc.)
    • All directories are viewable and editable (with ES Explorer or Root Explorer)
    • Swapping external SD and internal SD(with some tweaks)
    Disadvantages:
    • Officially: losing the warranty (but after unrooting or reflashing firmware, no evidence of rooting left)

Here is a detailed HowTo with different methods of rooting.

4.2 How can I undo the rooting of my Samsung Galaxy W ?

Therefore you will have to unroot your device this is also described in this HowTo. It is of importance to choose the right method to unroot your SGW.

Custom ROMs are customized firmwares developed by different developers. They are very often better in peformance, because they can free up from bloatware(apps which are unnecessary for most of us) and can be optimized according to the need.

Most famous custom ROMs are: CyanogenMod (CM) and Android Open Kang Project (AOKP)

CM7 = CyanogenMod with Android 2.3.+ (Gingerbread)
    CM9 = CyanogenMod with Android 4.0.+ (Ice Cream Sandwich)
    CM10 = CyanogenMod with Android 4.1.+ (Jelly Bean)

By overclocking the processor, you can increase the clock rate and gain more performance (of course it has to run stable). The default clock rate is set at 1401MHz(1,4GHz) for the Samsung Galaxy W. Increasing the clock rate usually provokes a growth of temperature.

Underclocking is also possible, which might improve battery life.

If you have gained root access, you will be able to delete important apps which may be necessary for android to work. Deleting these apps could end up with a boot loop(the phone stucks at the bootscreen) or other problems. In this case flashing is the only possibility to get the phone running again.

7.1 How can I flash a firmware ?

Here is a detailed HowTo

The International Mobile Station Equipment Identity (IMEI) is a unique 15-digit serial number, with this a GSM- or UMTS-device can be identified

8.1 How can I view the IMEI-Number?

Code:
    *#06#
    9. Sales Code

Code:
    *#272*IMEI-Number#
    Changing the sales code causes a hardreset !!!

10. Net/SIM-Lock Status

Code:
    *#7465625#

11. Several Dialer Codes

Phone Information:
    Code:
    *#*#4636#*#*
    PDA, Phone, CSC, Build time, Changelist number:
    Code:
    *#*#44336#*#*
    Modify Bandwide of GSM/WCDMA:
    Code:
    *#*#2263#
    Hard Reset:
    Code:
    *2767*3855#
    Touch Screen Test:
    Code:
    *#*#2664#*#*
    Proximity Sensor Test:
    Code:
    *#*#0588#*#*
    GPS Test:
    Code:
    *#*#1575#*#*
    Melody Test:
    Code:
    *#*#0673#*#*
    Shows WiFi MAC address:
    Code:
    *#*#232338#*#*
    WiFi Test:
    Code:
    *#*#526#*#*

Please help me, to improve this thread. Whether it is an advice, a spelling or grammar mistake, please let me know, so I can correct it.
    This is very useful FAQ, now we can just link user who will have questions about this topic.

greets

THE-E
    Download-Mode...........Where should be the firmware be placed ?

This will be supplied externally via ODIN.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=20275502&postcount=173

greets

THE-E
    What does the RAM DUMP feature exactly do or what is it for?

I think it is to extract/dumpt the RAM. I have not heard any dev or anybody else using it, so the real use is not very certain.

greets

THE-E

EDIT: Sorry for double post.