[Guide] Successful S-OFF after (wrong S-ON) brick for ICS/GB ,Downgrade S-ON firmware

Search This thread

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
[ Guide ] Successful S-OFF for GB or ICS after Brick ( non proper Wrong S-ON , Security Warning ) using htc dev Unlock , Also for Downgrade latest GB OTA Firmware

My Other Posts Links

this Method

• this method is to get S-off for bricked devices ( either on GB or ICS Firmware boot.img ) for members accidentally done wrong S-ON without following the proper procedure resulting in Brick S-ON with Security warning

• This method also Downgrades devices that came with new GB firmware ( or updated by GB OTA firmware ) to a lower Firmware version to allow Revolutionary to do first time S-off.

• This method also Downgrades ICS boot.img based on firmware 3.12 Android 4.0 ( the lastest firmware when writing this Guide is firmware 3.12 with hboot 1.23 ) , so firmware 3.32 with hboot 1.27 is not addressed in the following methods

• you have to verify with htc or your carrier if you are allowed to use this method
  • This method is reported implemented successfully by more than a user ( who tried all other methods till writing this guide with no success, until they used this method )
  • This method should work with gingerbread and gingerbread mixed with ICS boot.img ( i.e Android 4 with hboot 1.18 at least ) , I will not discuss any thing related to the Radio
  • Summery of this method is :
    • use htc dev unlock method to unlock bootloader or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them )
    • Install custom Rom ( old Stock Rooted Rom v2.3.x preferred 2.3.3 )
    • Extract boot.img of the same Rom and Flash it via bootloader ( fastboot usb ) using fastboot in ADB tools . Also this downgrades ICS boot.img into Gingerbread boot.img
    • Now you have a working Gingerbread Rom ready for use with revolutionary to get S-OFF
  • In this post there is a Step by step Successful S-OFF implementation of this method for wrong S-ON by member ( please note that I don’t have a Sensation yet )

How htc dev unlock method Works

• first of all , i don't like this method ( htc dev unlock method ) because it is tricky
  • this method unlocks some options for Bootloader ( Not All of them ) . htc dev site says unlocking your bootloader may or could void your warranty !!
  • the Boot.img and Bootloader are still locked , and of course the Radio area is still locked ( it is not the radio we flash to improve signal )
  • locked means those areas can not be over-written
  • it allows you to install Custom Roms , But what htc maybe forgot to tell you is that the custom rom should be using their htc Boot,img ( i.e Stock kernel ) in order to work without errors !!!!!!! . ( Otherwise for Roms with custom kernels , you have to install the boot.img ( Custom Kernels ) in a certain Method to avoid errors like WiFi error or sometimes boot loop when you do wrong S-on !!!! )
  • this certain Method is to flash locked items ( like Boot.img that includes custom Kernel ) through fastboot ( i.e bootloader )
S-ON

• htc dev unlock method does not give S-off , it only unlocks some options for Bootloader . so , displaying ( Unlocked and S-on ) is normal for htc method
  • Some mistakenly think that htc dev unlock method is the same as Revolutionary S-OFF , AND IT IS NOT

DISCLAIMER

Verify with HTC and your Carrier that you are legally Allowed to use any Method in this Post Before using it ,
and Don't use it if you are not legally allowed to

I am not responsible if following this Method results in bricking your phone
Whatever you do is at your Own Risk

Downgrade
Firmware and Latest GB OTA updates ( Needed for first time S-OFF using Revolutionary , Proved working on GB )
  • to know if your software need downgrade or not , if you software need downgrade Revolutionary will give you the following Error " Zerg ..... failed to S-OFF " , this indicates that your GB Software needs to be downgraded before using Revolutionary , for ICS software there is no downgrade method yet and you need to use other ways for achieving S-OFF
  • you have to verify with htc or your carrier if you are allowed to use this method
  • unlocked Bootloader using htc dev ( may or could void your warranty ) or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them ) and ( use htc drivers v3.0.0.7 )
  • You will need to Install custom recovery preferably CWM recovery as follows:
    • go here for all methods How To Install Custom Recovery or use the following methods
    • Method one : is install through bootloader , if needed rename recovery to PG58IMG.zip , Place PG58IMG.zip on the root of SD Card , then install it from bootloader as an update PG58IMG
    • Method two : from your PC using ADB tools download for WINDOWS or download for LINUX and the device should be in fastboot usb . Extract recovery.img from zip file and put it inside ADB Folder , and start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB folder which includes fastboot.exe and execute fastboot flash recovery recovery.img , then after installation is finished execute fastboot reboot-bootloader
    • For 4EXT Go to 4EXT thread or Download the user-friendly 4EXT Recovery touch flashing tool and read the guide inside ( link by joaquinf ) .
  • follow instructions mentioned in title "Custom Rom Flash " , and in title "[FONT=&quot][ Implementation ][/FONT][FONT=&quot]" [/FONT]in this Guide
  • Your new Firmware and ICS Android v4 boot.img ( if ICS boot.img exists due to wrong S-ON ) is downgraded by installing the Old Rooted Stock Custom Rom ,you Must lock the bootloader for Revolutionary to work , then use Revolutionary to get S-OFF ( Proved Working )

Custom Rom Flash ( Gingerbread and ICS , Proved Working on hboot 1.18 )

• this method is used to solve :
    • wrong S-ON on GB Bricked devices
    • wrong S-ON on GB mixed with ICS v4 boot.img by downgrading both firmware and boot.img
    • Downgrade GB Firmware ( and downgrade latest GB OTA ) for new S-on devices ,
    • Allow revolutionary to do the S-OFF after downgrade
  • this method is proved working on hboot 1.18
  • Unlock bootloader using htc dev unlock method ( may or could void your warranty ) or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them ) and ( use htc drivers v3.0.0.7 )
  • Do a NAND backup for your rom , then do a full wipe or factory reset through recovery or bootloader , Don't use Super wipe
  • Find a Custom rom ( an old Stock Rooted Rom Android 2.3.x “ better 2.3.3 , note that 2.3.5 will not work with revolutionarywith unsecured Boot.img and this is mentioned in the rom features sometimes but not necessarily ) , and flash the rom from recovery (try this Rom used by member ) this 2.3.3 ROM ( Update Here is a mirror for the 2.3.3 rom: Dropbox )
  • Update you can use any Stock Rooted Rom v2.3.3 or 2.3.4 in Xda Development section or look in list of HTC Sensation Android Roms , one member reported successful S-OFF using ARHD v3.x , if ARHD v3.x Rom don't include boot.img then just skip flashing Boot.img or use Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms )
  • Reboot into bootloader , ( for some roms , if you let the rom boots maybe it will be stuck on htc splash screen or getting boot loops because it needs its boot.img )
  • Update there is now a new version of 4EXT recovery for S-ON devices v 1.0.0.5 , enable smart flashing in recovery \ tools and it will flash the boot.img by itself " read the restrictions for that method in 4EXT recovery thread " . Also 4EXT recovery Control has an option to flash boot.img from home screen
  • extract Boot.img from the same rom zip you flashed , ( in Multi device Roms , extraxt the boot.img for your exact device ) , then Flash it as follows :
    • Bootloader should be unlocked
    • the phone should be in bootloader ( fastboot usb )
    • Put boot.img inside adb folder in same place your fastboot.exe , ADB tools download for WINDOWS
    • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB folder which includes fastboot.exe and type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter
    • after finish , type fastboot reboot-bootloader and press enter
    • Reboot , the device may reboot several times before reaching the home screen
[ Update ] Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms

• Update there is now a new version of 4EXT recovery for S-ON devices v 1.0.0.5 , enable smart flashing in recovery \ tools and it will flash the boot.img by itself " read the restrictions for that method in 4EXT recovery thread " . . Also 4EXT recovery Control has an option to flash boot.img from home screen
  • follow the above steps , except instead of extracting Boot.img and flashing it through fastboot , do the following :
  • Download recovery img for either CWM or 4EXT
  • Put recovery img ( recovery name.img ) inside ADB folder in same place your fastboot.exe ,
    • recovery name.img is the exact name for the downloaded recovery img that you put inside the ADB Folder
    • it is NOT PG58IMG.zip recovery
  • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB Folder which includes fastboot.exe and type the command fastboot boot recovery name.img and press enter
  • your phone should now go to recovery screen ( loaded through fastboot )
  • install your custom rom as normal and reboot your phone , ( this will install the custom Rom and the Boot.img of the same Custom Rom in the same time )
  • if this method doesn't work , then go back to the original Method
[FONT=&quot]

[ Implementation ]
[/FONT]
Successful S-OFF using the above method by member ( had done a Wrong S-on and Semi Brick Security Warning )

• a step by step procedure , the following is what member practically did to implement this method , i added some to his words to make every thing organized and clear ( please note that I don’t have a Sensation yet )
  • member problem was he installed Custom ICS Rom and then installed RUU_Pyramid_Orange_PL and did a wrong S-ON ( so he is on ICS boot.img and a GB RUU with a wrong S_ON ) , his Hboot is 1.18
  • “ I unlocked device via htc and did factory reset from bootloader. This way I gained access to my 4ext recovery which was not erased during RUU process.
  • First, I extracted boot.img from custom ROM zip in my PC and put it to the same folder when my fastboot.exe is . Device was in Fastboot USB mode
  • Next, I put custom gingerbread ROM this 2.3.3 ROM ( Update Here is a mirror for the 2.3.3 rom: Dropbox )into sd card and flashed it from recovery, then immediately, from recovery, rebooted into fastboot and flashed boot.img from my PC:
    fastboot flash boot boot.img
  • ( Update you can use any Stock Rooted Rom v2.3.3 or 2.3.4 in Xda Development section or look in list of HTC Sensation Android Roms , one member reported successful S-OFF using ARHD v3.x , if ARHD v3.x Rom don't include boot.img then just skip flashing Boot.img or use Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms )
  • I did it twice, with additional full wipe from recvovery, first with RCMix 3.5 which didn't work with revolutionary, and the second with this 2.3.3 ROM ( Here is a mirror for the 2.3.3 rom: Dropbox ) that finally worked and gave me S-Off . Currently I'm on stock, branded Orange PL ROM, relocked, S-on and ready to be sent for repair.”

Install any ICS Custom Rom for ( S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000 )

• See post # 2 below for how to install any Custom Rom on S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000

Revolutionary Method and Precautions ( Gingerbread )

• Video link for very detailed instructions ( for htc Incredible 2 phone ,it is for gingerbread also ) , Procedure is the same , Only difference is you have to replace any required information " name and bootloader " and downloads " recovery " to fit sensation , Link is here
  • It Should be used after doing one of these 3 methods ( i.e a device with GB Rom - New S-ON devices that has acceptable software version for Revolutionary can skip this step ) mentioned above in this post ( [FONT=&quot]Custom Rom Flash [/FONT]or Downgrade Firmware and Latest OTA or [FONT=&quot]RUU flash ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]using Android 2.3.x Rom ( 2.3.3 preferred )[/FONT]
  • uninstall htc new drivers and htc Sync , and use the old htc drivers (v 3.0.0.007) mentioned in revolutionary page ( for windows users ) ,New htc drivers prevent Revolutionary from doing its job ( Proved ).
  • if you are using htc dev unlock method , you have to re-lock your bootloader before using revolutionary
  • run Revolutionary as administrator
  • usb debugging must be enabled in setting \ application \ development
  • untick fast boot box in setting \ power
  • remove any conflicting software ( like Doubletwist ,Verizon vcast ) , remove any conflicting APK from your device that may connect to the phone over USB and automatically sync
  • Disable any firewall or antivirus , use a different clean browser without the add-on extensions , clean browser cache
Copy and Paste in cmd

• Better to avoid typing , use copy and Paste
  • Right click top toolbar of cmd window and select edit then paste or copy
Revolutionary Errors

• Error " Waiting for device .... " , this is caused by new htc Drivers and htc sync , remove both and install old htc driver
  • Error " Zerg ..... failed to S-OFF " , this indicates that your GB Software needs to be downgraded before using Revolutionary , for ICS software there is no downgrade method yet and you need to use other ways for achieving S-OFF
  • Error regarding the SN and beta key , to solve that use copy and Paste in cmd window instead of typing
  • Error " revolutionary Runs and finishes and don't give error and also don't do S-OFF " , to solve that Run Revolutionary as administrator
RUU flash ( Gingerbread and ICS ) ( not proved )

• You can try this method , and see if works with you instead of the above ( no feed back about it yet )
  • Normally you should Lock bootloader in order to Flash RUU ( But since there is a wrong S-ON , then try also to Unlock if it didn’t work ) using htc dev unlock ( may or could void your warranty )
  • Do a NAND backup for your rom , then do a full wipe or factory reset through recovery or bootloader , Don't use Super wipe
  • note that flashing RUU.exe requires htc sync to be installed and the device is connected in sync mode , and that usb debugging is enabled , and fast boot box is unchecked " in Setting \ power "
  • if you have problems when you flash a ruu , try the following :
    fastboot erase cache
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    And then flash the ruu by executing the RUU.exe
  • from your PC , Flash RUU.exe ( similar to your original RUU , or should be old Gingerbread RUU ) in Fastboot ( not Hboot ) , if not working , then remove Battery and put it back and press volume down and power to go to bootloader , and repeat the RUU.exe flash
  • after flashing the RUU , if it didn’t boots and stuck on the splash , then try Unlock bootloader and extract the Boot.img that came with the same RUU zip file , and flash it as follows ( it is only a trial , not sure it would work ) :
    • Put boot.img inside adb folder in same place your fastboot.exe
    • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB folder which includes fastboot.exe as and type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter
    • type fastboot reboot-bootloader and press enter

Revolutionary Method ( ICS , General discussion )

• [FONT=&quot][ Update 1 ] [/FONT]there is now a new modified Firmware 3.24 Unlocked for ICS 4.0.3 that has the Unlocked bootloader hboot 1.27 (posted by Mike1986) , that could lead to other ways and solutions
  • [FONT=&quot][ Update 2 ] :[/FONT]
  • ICS firmware , more information is at Mike link here and this guide here
  • ICS problem solution ( Firmware 3.12 Only mixed with hboot 1.18 ) is to downgrade the software and ICS boot.img to gingerbread as above method [FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]Custom Rom Flash ( Gingerbread and ICS )"
  • ICS firmware disables fastboot commands ( no write ) on 1.23.xxxx-1.20.xxxx and i think also 1.18.xxxx
  • So , for those who did wrong S-ON on devices having hboot 1.18 mixed with ICS Boot.img ( firmware 3.12 Android 4 Only ) , Revolutionary will not be able to write S-off because Android 4 software boot.img is too new for Revolutionary, Also Revolutionary doesn’t support hboot 1.23
  • there is an Hboot 1.17 ( which I think is Eng Hboot similar or same as 1.17.0008 ) which allows fastboot commands , use Firmware v3.12 ( for sense 3.5 based GB ROM only ) or v1.17 for older GB ROM
  • you can't downgrade the firmware if the devvice is S-ON , or when the bootloader is unlocked on S-ON devices
  • ICS Roms 3.12.401.102 will only boot on certain Hboot versions ( not all of them ) , Hboot 1.17 will not boot ICS Roms 3.12.401.102

Useful links ( Only use legally allowed content in those links )

1. Sensation / Sensation XE Firmware / Partitions Info
  2. User Friendly Firmware Upgrade
  3. Android Revolution HD thread
  4. Guide for installing Both Custom / Stock Recovery ( Downloads and Methods )
  5. How To Flash ICS 3.32 Firmware & ARHD 6.5x ICS Rom

Press the thanks Button for this Post

Last edited:

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
Install any ICS Custom Rom for both ( S-ON Devices hboot 1.27.0000 ) and S-OFF Device

Install any ICS Custom Rom for both ( S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000 ) and S-OFF Devices ( Easy Method )

Hboot Screen

• in bootloader screen , if it displays on top :
    • Revolutionary in Pink , then you have the Revolutionary unlocked hboot v1.17.1111 or 1.27.1100
    • locked in Pink , means you have an original locked hboot like 1.18 or 1.27.0000 ( due to flashing an RUU or OTA )
    • Unlocked in Pink , means someone unlocked the original locked hboot above by using htc dev , or super tool ,... etc
    • Relocked in Pink , means someone relocked the unlocked bootloader above , and when relocked it will not show " locked " anymoe , it will show " relocked " to reflect that you have unlocked your bootloader before
  • locked hboot means you can't use fastboot write commands , like flashing recovery !

Avaliable Alternatives

• Update ( latest Method for S-OFF for hboot 1.27 )
  • you can S-OFF or downgrade using hardware S-OFF by using a hardware called Jtag , i didn't investigate that much , so check it out yourself , one member reported using it successfully to downgrade hboot 1.27.0000 to 1.18 . i think this would void your warranty because all S-OFF using hardware are permanent ( you can't S-ON again i guess ) ,
  • for members stuck with S-ON and hboot 1.27.0000 , you can install either of the following :
    • install Custom Recovery and SU with your Existing official ICS software or ICS OTA
    • install any custom ICS Roms ( on condition it has the same firmware of your existing RUU or OTA )
  • note that almost same bugs exist in both ICS OTA and ICS custom roms ,so no big difference ( except for SU APK's )
  • you will not be able to change or flash any Firmware , htc dev don't allow flashing of firmware ( like 3.32 or 1.17 , ...etc ) , it just unlocks few bootloader options not all of them
  • So for example , if your software number in about phone says 3.32.x.x , you have to install cutom rom that is based on 3.32 firmware only ( because that is your existing firmware that is flashed by the RUU or OTA ) , not a higher firmware version" i guess , not sure for higher versions " if it is issued in future , or a lower firmware like GB
  • this means also you will not be able to install GB custom rom or RUU

1) Easy Method for Installing ICS Custom Roms ( S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000 )

• the procedure is the same as installing ICS for S-OFF devices , except for the following differences :
    • you need first to unlocked Bootloader
    • you will not flash firmware ( Firmware of the custom Rom and phone software version must be identical )
  • unlocked Bootloader using htc dev ( may or could void your warranty ) or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them )
  • you can install any other ICS custom rom with the same firmware base
  • most ICS Custom Roms now are based on firmware 3.32 , so if your installed ICS RUU or OTA have an older Base then install ICS RUU or OTA to have firmware base 3.32 .
  • if you prefer to stay on older ICS RUU firmware ,then choose suitable older custom Rom with same firmware version as the RUU
  • first i suggest to start with ICS ARHD 6.6.x ( developer of the rom and firmware Package is the same , more compatibility ) , then later on you can choose the ICS rom you like
    • Download ICS Custom Rom , i prefer ARHD 6.6.x as a start here ( it is based on firmware 3.32 ) http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1098849
    • Download super wipe , it is in the same ARHD link
    • you don't need or allowed to install Firmware so Firmware flash is skipped for S-ON devices
  • install Recovery ( 4EXT Recovery which is required by a lot of ICS Roms for choices during installation like kernel and processor speed , ...etc )
  • ICS installation Guides are
  • install ICS as follows
    • put the two file on the root of your SD Card
    • boot into bootloader then choose recovery , to boot into bootloader either ( remove Battery , put it back , and by press and hold volume downd then press and hold power , choose recovery ) , or untick fast boot box in Setting \ power then power off , then press and hold volume down then press and hold power , choose recovery
    • flashed super wipe zip ( it will wipe and reboot back to recovery by itself )
    • flashed the ARHD Rom in recovery , done
  • you may need to flash the boot.img of the Custom rom if you get wifi error or the Rom has customkernel , flash it as shown in OP Post # 1 under title " Custom Rom Flash .... "
  • Update there is now a new version of 4EXT recovery for S-ON devices v 1.0.0.5 , enable smart flashing in recovery \ tools and it will flash the boot.img by itself " read the restrictions for that method in 4EXT recovery thread " . Also 4EXT recovery Control has an option to flash boot.img from home screen
  • if the Rom have more than a kernel to choose , then flash the boot.img for the kernel you choosed during installation

2) Easy Method for Installing ICS Custom Roms ( S-OFF Devices )

• Works for S-OFF devices with any hboot , including locked hboots as a result of flashing RUU's ( like 1.18 and 1.27.0000 ) , if you have problems with hboot 1.18 then flash firmware 1.17 ( it will install Revolutionary hboot 1.17.1111 )
  • first i suggest to start with ICS ARHD 6.6.x ( developer of the rom and firmware Package is the same , more compatibility ) , then later on you can choose the ICS rom you like
  • install Recovery ( 4EXT Recovery which is required by a lot of ICS Roms for choices during installation like kernel and processor speed , ...etc )
  • i installed ICS as follows
    • while on home screen , i put the three file on the root of your SD Card " Super wipe , ICS Rom , PG58IMG.zip " , then check the md5 of the PG58IMG.zip while connected to PC
    • from home screen rebooted into recovery
    • flashed the ICS ARHD Rom in recovery
    • from recovery power off the device , then boot into bootloader ( by press and hold volume down then press and hold power )
    • when it boots into bootloader it find the PG58IMG.zip and asks you to update , choose yes ( by press volume up )
    • Reboot after update complete
    • done

Last edited:

Giacomo700

Dec 12, 2009
S-off on hboot 1.23

Hi trkaaa,

over in this thread
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1494336&page=3
Rhiannon recommended that we ask you for your help about getting s-off on hboot 1.23 because you are very knowledgeable on this. There are a number of us who have this problem (unlocked with HTC Dev - S-on - cannot flash radio or hboot and cannot flash any RUU, even those with hboot 1.23 or 1.27):
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22377674
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=22267193
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1466799
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1453404

Is there any solution you could suggest to get back to hboot 1.17 so we can use Revolutionary to get S-off? Have tried all the options in this thread but none of them works for hboot 1.23.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Last edited:

lapegna

Jan 29, 2012
Hello,

I am a noob here. My question is regarding rooting the Sensation. I rooted mine successfully and installed ISC.
Now on my friends device, we followed the same steps. After using Revolution, i booted to boot mode. When we tried to install pg58img if said SID Incorrect, Install Failed.

I did delete the pg58img file after from the main directory of the SD card after.

It is now caught in a boot loop. I can't seem to get out of.

Any recommendations?

Currently has HSBOOT 1.27

I did search in the forums and could not find a solution.

Attachments

• IMAG0455.jpg
    IMAG0455.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 1,324
Last edited:

xdaco

Jun 26, 2011
Kolkata
www.musarraf.com
Hello,

I am a noob here. My question is regarding rooting the Sensation. I rooted mine successfully and installed ISC.
Now on my friends device, we followed the same steps. After using Revolution, i booted to boot mode. When we tried to install pg58img if said SID Incorrect, Install Failed.

I did delete the pg58img file after from the main directory of the SD card after.

It is now caught in a boot loop. I can't seem to get out of.

Any recommendations?

Currently has HSBOOT 1.27

I did search in the forums and could not find a solution.

Your boootloader screen shows , the firmware flashing was done partially. Please reflash the firmware V3.24 . Download the correct file according to your CID from here.

lovefromsky

Aug 19, 2009
Hi,

I got phone unlocked by HTC dev method, installed one of 2.3.5 based custom rom from insertcoin and flashed boot.img from same. However, the phone is still showing unlocked, S_ON hboot 1.18.x

I tried to download 2.3.3 rom mentioned but both links not working hence used insertcoin.

Revolutionary fails at last step, and none of the RUU flash ( please use right RUU message displayed) , I am superCID and its unbranded sesnsation 4G

I appreciate any help that you provide

Last edited:

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
Hi,

I got phone unlocked by HTC dev method, installed one of 2.3.5 based custom rom from insertcoin and flashed boot.img from same. However, the phone is still showing unlocked, S_ON hboot 1.18.x

I tried to download 2.3.3 rom mentioned but both links not working hence used insertcoin.

Revolutionary fails at last step, and none of the RUU flash ( please use right RUU message displayed) , I am superCID and its unbranded sesnsation 4G

I appreciate any help that you provide

• Android 2.3.5 most probably will not work . in my Post above " Find a Custom rom ( an old Stock Rooted Rom Android 2.3.x “ better 2.3.3 , note that 2.3.5 will not work with revolutionary “ "

• the RUU maybe didn't work with you because you are using Android 2.3.5 and trying to flash RUU's 2.3.4 ( Older )

• use Android 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 Rooted Stock Custom Rom , look in this link you will find a lot of Rooted stock Custom Roms here http://www.htcsensationroms.com/
  • lock htc bootloader before using revolutionary and follow instructions in title " Revolutionary Method ( Gingerbread and ICS ) "

• i added an alternative way to flash custom rom , you may try it if you want in title " [FONT=&quot][ Update ] [/FONT]Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms "

lovefromsky

Aug 19, 2009
Thanks , unfortunately, multiupload is no more opening up tried different roms all are on multiupload and hence cant download, my bad.

Any possibility of a 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 rom any other site, a mirror may be

lovefromsky

Aug 19, 2009
  • Android 2.3.5 most probably will not work . in my Post above " Find a Custom rom ( an old Stock Rooted Rom Android 2.3.x “ better 2.3.3 , note that 2.3.5 will not work with revolutionary “ "

• the RUU maybe didn't work with you because you are using Android 2.3.5 and trying to flash RUU's 2.3.4 ( Older )

• use Android 2.3.3 or 2.3.4 Rooted Stock Custom Rom , look in this link you will find a lot of Rooted stock Custom Roms here http://www.htcsensationroms.com/
  • lock htc bootloader before using revolutionary and follow instructions in title " Revolutionary Method ( Gingerbread and ICS ) "

• i added an alternative way to flash custom rom , you may try it if you want in title " [FONT=&quot][ Update ] [/FONT]Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms "

This is what I have now:

1. Hboot screen shows Unlocked, though when I try to relock using htc dev method "Fastboot oem lock" it says phone is already locked

2. PG58IMG.zip do not get flashed, Revolutionary fails after displaying rebooting once moar

3. I am 2.3.4, used Android revolution HD custom ROM with unsecure boot.img, however the rom zip do not have boot.img file that I can flash after installing rom using recovery. ROM boots fine and I am able to use the phone

RUU is not flashing, sometimes USB connection error sometimes " not the right RUU".

Please help, I need to have S-ON and like to falsh the official RUU. I tried multiple things and its not working out.

Looking for your help as it works but may be I am missing something somewhere :(

Got S-OFF ultimately :), I used 4ext recovery and formatted all paritition except sdcard, did factory reset and then installed 2.3.4 custom rom, ran Revolutionary and voila I am S-OFF
Hboot is now 1.17 and it displays Revolutionary (correctly so).
However, RUU is saying getting flashed stating "use the right RUU" though I am using the right one, I am SuperCID so will try to remove superCID and see if that works
will update.

Thanks for your help

Last edited:
Reactions: trkaaa

lovefromsky

Aug 19, 2009
"BELOW IS WHAT WORKED FOR ME, IT MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU, PLEASE TRY IT AT YOUR OWN RISK, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY HAPPEN TO YOUR PHONE USING BELOW" Trkaa gave the main idea and I am really thankful to him and all the XDA for once again helping me with my phone :)

Hi Trkaa, thanks for your help, I am back to STOCK, relocked and S_ON, just sharing what I did so might help others:

" I was on hboot 1.18.xx with wrong S-ON and semi brick device, below is what I did to get back to Stock and S-ON"

1. Used htc dev unlock method and then using 4ext recovery formatted all partitions except sdcard
2. Installed custom rom Android Revolution HD 3.6.13, a 2.3.4 rom, can be downloaded from "http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=14191938&postcount=1" as multiupload is not working so couldn't download any rom from there, so used above one
3. Reboot sensation, used revolutionary to get S-OFF
4. RUU was not flashing so I did this : Relocked my phone by running "Fastboot OEM lock" with phone in fastboot USB and then reboot the phone
5. From "http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1193033", Used METHOD 2 - ENG HBOOT [both Flash ENG HBOOT & Download an RUU and then Flash RUU (rom.zip)]
6. Once phone boots up, run the STOCK RUU.exe as normal (required else phone would not install OTA though downloads it without problem),
7. Once done and rebooted, used commands from "http://theunlockr.com/2011/10/03/how-to-unroot-the-htc-sensation-4g/" to put S_ON back
8. Result , I am relocked, S-ON and on STOCK with OTA installing without problem

Last edited:

AayushDhuria

Oct 1, 2011
Trkaaa, thanks a lot :D Your guide really helped and thanks for helping me time to time via PM :), Really helpful for noobs

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
In theory, easiest method if you are below 1.27 would be:
1. Unlock via HTC
2. Flash firmware with 1.27 REVOLUTIONARY unlocked hboot (in theory, unlocking bootloader allows you to flash not signed PG58 file as long as CID and MID match and you are going "up"). Skip it if HTC unlock allows you to change to SuperCID.
3. SuperCID
4. Run an RUU with 1.17 hboot from fastboot
5. Run revo

Would be interesting if someone could test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: xdaco

xdaco

Jun 26, 2011
Kolkata
www.musarraf.com
In theory, easiest method if you are below 1.27 would be:
1. Unlock via HTC
2. Flash firmware with 1.27 REVOLUTIONARY unlocked hboot (in theory, unlocking bootloader allows you to flash not signed PG58 file as long as CID and MID match and you are going "up"). Skip it if HTC unlock allows you to change to SuperCID.
3. SuperCID
4. Run an RUU with 1.17 hboot from fastboot
5. Run revo

Would be interesting if someone could test it.

+1 , it should work. But I have some doubt in step 2. If someone tries and confirm it ...

Last edited:

trkaaa

Feb 13, 2010
can u please tell me that how to relock the bootloader......i mean can u tell me full steps as i m new

• go to fastboot usb , connect phone to PC , Start cmd as admin , navigate to the adb folder ( the folder that includes the fastboot.exe )
  • type fastboot oem lock
  • the bootloader will now display Relocked ( Not Locked )

Reactions: Cuckoo

SanityPreservation

Feb 12, 2012
In the south.
stuck in bootloop

recovery is working
hboot 1.23, s-on
htc dev unlock did not work
adb and fastboot not working
cannot flash anything through hboot

what to do to get s-off ?

----------------------------------------
how to get stock recovery on the phone ?
is it possible to apply an update.zip to replace the hboot ?

Last edited:

SanityPreservation

Feb 12, 2012
In the south.
stuck in bootloop

recovery is working
hboot 1.23, s-on
htc dev unlock did not work
adb and fastboot not working
cannot flash anything through hboot

what to do to get s-off ?

----------------------------------------
how to get stock recovery on the phone ?
is it possible to apply an update.zip to replace the hboot ?

Hello !? Anybody alive in here :D

Reactions: xdaco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [ Guide ] Successful S-OFF for GB or ICS after Brick ( non proper Wrong S-ON , Security Warning ) using htc dev Unlock , Also for Downgrade latest GB OTA Firmware

My Other Posts Links

this Method

• this method is to get S-off for bricked devices ( either on GB or ICS Firmware boot.img ) for members accidentally done wrong S-ON without following the proper procedure resulting in Brick S-ON with Security warning

• This method also Downgrades devices that came with new GB firmware ( or updated by GB OTA firmware ) to a lower Firmware version to allow Revolutionary to do first time S-off.

• This method also Downgrades ICS boot.img based on firmware 3.12 Android 4.0 ( the lastest firmware when writing this Guide is firmware 3.12 with hboot 1.23 ) , so firmware 3.32 with hboot 1.27 is not addressed in the following methods

• This method is reported implemented successfully by more than a user ( who tried all other methods till writing this guide with no success, until they used this method )
    • This method should work with gingerbread and gingerbread mixed with ICS boot.img ( i.e Android 4 with hboot 1.18 at least ) , I will not discuss any thing related to the Radio
    • Summery of this method is :
      • use htc dev unlock method to unlock bootloader or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them )
      • Install custom Rom ( old Stock Rooted Rom v2.3.x preferred 2.3.3 )
      • Extract boot.img of the same Rom and Flash it via bootloader ( fastboot usb ) using fastboot in ADB tools . Also this downgrades ICS boot.img into Gingerbread boot.img
      • Now you have a working Gingerbread Rom ready for use with revolutionary to get S-OFF
    • In this post there is a Step by step Successful S-OFF implementation of this method for wrong S-ON by member ( please note that I don’t have a Sensation yet )

How htc dev unlock method Works

• first of all , i don't like this method ( htc dev unlock method ) because it is tricky
    • this method unlocks some options for Bootloader ( Not All of them ) . htc dev site says unlocking your bootloader may or could void your warranty !!
    • the Boot.img and Bootloader are still locked , and of course the Radio area is still locked ( it is not the radio we flash to improve signal )
    • locked means those areas can not be over-written
    • it allows you to install Custom Roms , But what htc maybe forgot to tell you is that the custom rom should be using their htc Boot,img ( i.e Stock kernel ) in order to work without errors !!!!!!! . ( Otherwise for Roms with custom kernels , you have to install the boot.img ( Custom Kernels ) in a certain Method to avoid errors like WiFi error or sometimes boot loop when you do wrong S-on !!!! )
    • this certain Method is to flash locked items ( like Boot.img that includes custom Kernel ) through fastboot ( i.e bootloader )
    S-ON

• htc dev unlock method does not give S-off , it only unlocks some options for Bootloader . so , displaying ( Unlocked and S-on ) is normal for htc method
    • Some mistakenly think that htc dev unlock method is the same as Revolutionary S-OFF , AND IT IS NOT

DISCLAIMER

Verify with HTC and your Carrier that you are legally Allowed to use any Method in this Post Before using it ,
    and Don't use it if you are not legally allowed to

I am not responsible if following this Method results in bricking your phone
    Whatever you do is at your Own Risk

Downgrade
    Firmware and Latest GB OTA updates ( Needed for first time S-OFF using Revolutionary , Proved working on GB )
    • to know if your software need downgrade or not , if you software need downgrade Revolutionary will give you the following Error " Zerg ..... failed to S-OFF " , this indicates that your GB Software needs to be downgraded before using Revolutionary , for ICS software there is no downgrade method yet and you need to use other ways for achieving S-OFF
    • unlocked Bootloader using htc dev ( may or could void your warranty ) or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them ) and ( use htc drivers v3.0.0.7 )
    • You will need to Install custom recovery preferably CWM recovery as follows:
      • go here for all methods How To Install Custom Recovery or use the following methods
      • Method one : is install through bootloader , if needed rename recovery to PG58IMG.zip , Place PG58IMG.zip on the root of SD Card , then install it from bootloader as an update PG58IMG
      • Method two : from your PC using ADB tools download for WINDOWS or download for LINUX and the device should be in fastboot usb . Extract recovery.img from zip file and put it inside ADB Folder , and start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB folder which includes fastboot.exe and execute fastboot flash recovery recovery.img , then after installation is finished execute fastboot reboot-bootloader
      • For 4EXT Go to 4EXT thread or Download the user-friendly 4EXT Recovery touch flashing tool and read the guide inside ( link by joaquinf ) .
    • follow instructions mentioned in title "Custom Rom Flash " , and in title "[FONT=&quot][ Implementation ][/FONT][FONT=&quot]" [/FONT]in this Guide
    • Your new Firmware and ICS Android v4 boot.img ( if ICS boot.img exists due to wrong S-ON ) is downgraded by installing the Old Rooted Stock Custom Rom ,you Must lock the bootloader for Revolutionary to work , then use Revolutionary to get S-OFF ( Proved Working )

Custom Rom Flash ( Gingerbread and ICS , Proved Working on hboot 1.18 )

• this method is used to solve :
      • wrong S-ON on GB Bricked devices
      • wrong S-ON on GB mixed with ICS v4 boot.img by downgrading both firmware and boot.img
      • Downgrade GB Firmware ( and downgrade latest GB OTA ) for new S-on devices ,
      • Allow revolutionary to do the S-OFF after downgrade
    • this method is proved working on hboot 1.18
    • Unlock bootloader using htc dev unlock method ( may or could void your warranty ) or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them ) and ( use htc drivers v3.0.0.7 )
    • Find a Custom rom ( an old Stock Rooted Rom Android 2.3.x “ better 2.3.3 , note that 2.3.5 will not work with revolutionarywith unsecured Boot.img and this is mentioned in the rom features sometimes but not necessarily ) , and flash the rom from recovery (try this Rom used by member ) this 2.3.3 ROM ( Update Here is a mirror for the 2.3.3 rom: Dropbox )
    • Update you can use any Stock Rooted Rom v2.3.3 or 2.3.4 in Xda Development section or look in list of HTC Sensation Android Roms , one member reported successful S-OFF using ARHD v3.x , if ARHD v3.x Rom don't include boot.img then just skip flashing Boot.img or use Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms )
    • Reboot into bootloader , ( for some roms , if you let the rom boots maybe it will be stuck on htc splash screen or getting boot loops because it needs its boot.img )
    • extract Boot.img from the same rom zip you flashed , ( in Multi device Roms , extraxt the boot.img for your exact device ) , then Flash it as follows :
      • Put boot.img inside adb folder in same place your fastboot.exe , ADB tools download for WINDOWS
      • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB folder which includes fastboot.exe and type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter
      • after finish , type fastboot reboot-bootloader and press enter
    [ Update ] Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms

• Update there is now a new version of 4EXT recovery for S-ON devices v 1.0.0.5 , enable smart flashing in recovery \ tools and it will flash the boot.img by itself " read the restrictions for that method in 4EXT recovery thread " . . Also 4EXT recovery Control has an option to flash boot.img from home screen
    • follow the above steps , except instead of extracting Boot.img and flashing it through fastboot , do the following :
    • Download recovery img for either CWM or 4EXT
    • Put recovery img ( recovery name.img ) inside ADB folder in same place your fastboot.exe ,
      • recovery name.img is the exact name for the downloaded recovery img that you put inside the ADB Folder
      • it is NOT PG58IMG.zip recovery
    • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB Folder which includes fastboot.exe and type the command fastboot boot recovery name.img and press enter
    • your phone should now go to recovery screen ( loaded through fastboot )
    • install your custom rom as normal and reboot your phone , ( this will install the custom Rom and the Boot.img of the same Custom Rom in the same time )
    • if this method doesn't work , then go back to the original Method
    [FONT=&quot]

[ Implementation ]
    [/FONT]
    Successful S-OFF using the above method by member ( had done a Wrong S-on and Semi Brick Security Warning )

• a step by step procedure , the following is what member practically did to implement this method , i added some to his words to make every thing organized and clear ( please note that I don’t have a Sensation yet )
    • member problem was he installed Custom ICS Rom and then installed RUU_Pyramid_Orange_PL and did a wrong S-ON ( so he is on ICS boot.img and a GB RUU with a wrong S_ON ) , his Hboot is 1.18
    • “ I unlocked device via htc and did factory reset from bootloader. This way I gained access to my 4ext recovery which was not erased during RUU process.
    • First, I extracted boot.img from custom ROM zip in my PC and put it to the same folder when my fastboot.exe is . Device was in Fastboot USB mode
    • Next, I put custom gingerbread ROM this 2.3.3 ROM ( Update Here is a mirror for the 2.3.3 rom: Dropbox )into sd card and flashed it from recovery, then immediately, from recovery, rebooted into fastboot and flashed boot.img from my PC:
      fastboot flash boot boot.img
    • ( Update you can use any Stock Rooted Rom v2.3.3 or 2.3.4 in Xda Development section or look in list of HTC Sensation Android Roms , one member reported successful S-OFF using ARHD v3.x , if ARHD v3.x Rom don't include boot.img then just skip flashing Boot.img or use Alternative Method to Flash Boot.img for Custom Roms )
    • I did it twice, with additional full wipe from recvovery, first with RCMix 3.5 which didn't work with revolutionary, and the second with this 2.3.3 ROM ( Here is a mirror for the 2.3.3 rom: Dropbox ) that finally worked and gave me S-Off . Currently I'm on stock, branded Orange PL ROM, relocked, S-on and ready to be sent for repair.”

Install any ICS Custom Rom for ( S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000 )

• See post # 2 below for how to install any Custom Rom on S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000

Revolutionary Method and Precautions ( Gingerbread )

• Video link for very detailed instructions ( for htc Incredible 2 phone ,it is for gingerbread also ) , Procedure is the same , Only difference is you have to replace any required information " name and bootloader " and downloads " recovery " to fit sensation , Link is here
    • It Should be used after doing one of these 3 methods ( i.e a device with GB Rom - New S-ON devices that has acceptable software version for Revolutionary can skip this step ) mentioned above in this post ( [FONT=&quot]Custom Rom Flash [/FONT]or Downgrade Firmware and Latest OTA or [FONT=&quot]RUU flash ) [/FONT][FONT=&quot]using Android 2.3.x Rom ( 2.3.3 preferred )[/FONT]
    • uninstall htc new drivers and htc Sync , and use the old htc drivers (v 3.0.0.007) mentioned in revolutionary page ( for windows users ) ,New htc drivers prevent Revolutionary from doing its job ( Proved ).
    • if you are using htc dev unlock method , you have to re-lock your bootloader before using revolutionary
    • run Revolutionary as administrator
    • usb debugging must be enabled in setting \ application \ development
    • untick fast boot box in setting \ power
    • remove any conflicting software ( like Doubletwist ,Verizon vcast ) , remove any conflicting APK from your device that may connect to the phone over USB and automatically sync
    • Disable any firewall or antivirus , use a different clean browser without the add-on extensions , clean browser cache
    Copy and Paste in cmd

• Better to avoid typing , use copy and Paste
    • Right click top toolbar of cmd window and select edit then paste or copy
    Revolutionary Errors

• Error " Waiting for device .... " , this is caused by new htc Drivers and htc sync , remove both and install old htc driver
    • Error " Zerg ..... failed to S-OFF " , this indicates that your GB Software needs to be downgraded before using Revolutionary , for ICS software there is no downgrade method yet and you need to use other ways for achieving S-OFF
    • Error regarding the SN and beta key , to solve that use copy and Paste in cmd window instead of typing
    • Error " revolutionary Runs and finishes and don't give error and also don't do S-OFF " , to solve that Run Revolutionary as administrator
    RUU flash ( Gingerbread and ICS ) ( not proved )

• You can try this method , and see if works with you instead of the above ( no feed back about it yet )
    • Normally you should Lock bootloader in order to Flash RUU ( But since there is a wrong S-ON , then try also to Unlock if it didn’t work ) using htc dev unlock ( may or could void your warranty )
    • note that flashing RUU.exe requires htc sync to be installed and the device is connected in sync mode , and that usb debugging is enabled , and fast boot box is unchecked " in Setting \ power "
    • if you have problems when you flash a ruu , try the following :
      fastboot erase cache
      fastboot oem rebootRUU
      And then flash the ruu by executing the RUU.exe
    • from your PC , Flash RUU.exe ( similar to your original RUU , or should be old Gingerbread RUU ) in Fastboot ( not Hboot ) , if not working , then remove Battery and put it back and press volume down and power to go to bootloader , and repeat the RUU.exe flash
    • after flashing the RUU , if it didn’t boots and stuck on the splash , then try Unlock bootloader and extract the Boot.img that came with the same RUU zip file , and flash it as follows ( it is only a trial , not sure it would work ) :
      • Put boot.img inside adb folder in same place your fastboot.exe
      • Start cmd as administrator and navigate to ADB folder which includes fastboot.exe as and type fastboot flash boot boot.img and press enter
      • type fastboot reboot-bootloader and press enter

Revolutionary Method ( ICS , General discussion )

• [FONT=&quot][ Update 1 ] [/FONT]there is now a new modified Firmware 3.24 Unlocked for ICS 4.0.3 that has the Unlocked bootloader hboot 1.27 (posted by Mike1986) , that could lead to other ways and solutions
    • [FONT=&quot][ Update 2 ] :[/FONT]
    • ICS firmware , more information is at Mike link here and this guide here
    • ICS problem solution ( Firmware 3.12 Only mixed with hboot 1.18 ) is to downgrade the software and ICS boot.img to gingerbread as above method [FONT=&quot]"[/FONT]Custom Rom Flash ( Gingerbread and ICS )"
    • ICS firmware disables fastboot commands ( no write ) on 1.23.xxxx-1.20.xxxx and i think also 1.18.xxxx
    • So , for those who did wrong S-ON on devices having hboot 1.18 mixed with ICS Boot.img ( firmware 3.12 Android 4 Only ) , Revolutionary will not be able to write S-off because Android 4 software boot.img is too new for Revolutionary, Also Revolutionary doesn’t support hboot 1.23
    • there is an Hboot 1.17 ( which I think is Eng Hboot similar or same as 1.17.0008 ) which allows fastboot commands , use Firmware v3.12 ( for sense 3.5 based GB ROM only ) or v1.17 for older GB ROM
    • you can't downgrade the firmware if the devvice is S-ON , or when the bootloader is unlocked on S-ON devices
    • ICS Roms 3.12.401.102 will only boot on certain Hboot versions ( not all of them ) , Hboot 1.17 will not boot ICS Roms 3.12.401.102

Useful links ( Only use legally allowed content in those links )

1. Sensation / Sensation XE Firmware / Partitions Info
    2. User Friendly Firmware Upgrade
    3. Android Revolution HD thread
    4. Guide for installing Both Custom / Stock Recovery ( Downloads and Methods )
    5. How To Flash ICS 3.32 Firmware & ARHD 6.5x ICS Rom

Install any ICS Custom Rom for both ( S-ON Devices hboot 1.27.0000 ) and S-OFF Device

Install any ICS Custom Rom for both ( S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000 ) and S-OFF Devices ( Easy Method )

Hboot Screen

• in bootloader screen , if it displays on top :
      • Revolutionary in Pink , then you have the Revolutionary unlocked hboot v1.17.1111 or 1.27.1100
      • locked in Pink , means you have an original locked hboot like 1.18 or 1.27.0000 ( due to flashing an RUU or OTA )
      • Unlocked in Pink , means someone unlocked the original locked hboot above by using htc dev , or super tool ,... etc
      • Relocked in Pink , means someone relocked the unlocked bootloader above , and when relocked it will not show " locked " anymoe , it will show " relocked " to reflect that you have unlocked your bootloader before
    • locked hboot means you can't use fastboot write commands , like flashing recovery !

Avaliable Alternatives

• Update ( latest Method for S-OFF for hboot 1.27 )
    • you can S-OFF or downgrade using hardware S-OFF by using a hardware called Jtag , i didn't investigate that much , so check it out yourself , one member reported using it successfully to downgrade hboot 1.27.0000 to 1.18 . i think this would void your warranty because all S-OFF using hardware are permanent ( you can't S-ON again i guess ) ,
    • for members stuck with S-ON and hboot 1.27.0000 , you can install either of the following :
      • install Custom Recovery and SU with your Existing official ICS software or ICS OTA
      • install any custom ICS Roms ( on condition it has the same firmware of your existing RUU or OTA )
    • note that almost same bugs exist in both ICS OTA and ICS custom roms ,so no big difference ( except for SU APK's )
    • you will not be able to change or flash any Firmware , htc dev don't allow flashing of firmware ( like 3.32 or 1.17 , ...etc ) , it just unlocks few bootloader options not all of them
    • So for example , if your software number in about phone says 3.32.x.x , you have to install cutom rom that is based on 3.32 firmware only ( because that is your existing firmware that is flashed by the RUU or OTA ) , not a higher firmware version" i guess , not sure for higher versions " if it is issued in future , or a lower firmware like GB
    • this means also you will not be able to install GB custom rom or RUU

1) Easy Method for Installing ICS Custom Roms ( S-ON Devices with hboot 1.27.0000 )

• the procedure is the same as installing ICS for S-OFF devices , except for the following differences :
      • you need first to unlocked Bootloader
      • you will not flash firmware ( Firmware of the custom Rom and phone software version must be identical )
    • unlocked Bootloader using htc dev ( may or could void your warranty ) or Super tool or Check this Post in XDA Portal ( if it is legal to use them )
    • you can install any other ICS custom rom with the same firmware base
    • most ICS Custom Roms now are based on firmware 3.32 , so if your installed ICS RUU or OTA have an older Base then install ICS RUU or OTA to have firmware base 3.32 .
    • if you prefer to stay on older ICS RUU firmware ,then choose suitable older custom Rom with same firmware version as the RUU
      • Download ICS Custom Rom , i prefer ARHD 6.6.x as a start here ( it is based on firmware 3.32 ) http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1098849
      • Download super wipe , it is in the same ARHD link
      • you don't need or allowed to install Firmware so Firmware flash is skipped for S-ON devices
    • install ICS as follows
      • put the two file on the root of your SD Card
      • boot into bootloader then choose recovery , to boot into bootloader either ( remove Battery , put it back , and by press and hold volume downd then press and hold power , choose recovery ) , or untick fast boot box in Setting \ power then power off , then press and hold volume down then press and hold power , choose recovery
      • flashed the ARHD Rom in recovery , done
    • you may need to flash the boot.img of the Custom rom if you get wifi error or the Rom has customkernel , flash it as shown in OP Post # 1 under title " Custom Rom Flash .... "
    • if the Rom have more than a kernel to choose , then flash the boot.img for the kernel you choosed during installation

2) Easy Method for Installing ICS Custom Roms ( S-OFF Devices )

• Works for S-OFF devices with any hboot , including locked hboots as a result of flashing RUU's ( like 1.18 and 1.27.0000 ) , if you have problems with hboot 1.18 then flash firmware 1.17 ( it will install Revolutionary hboot 1.17.1111 )
    • i installed ICS as follows
      • while on home screen , i put the three file on the root of your SD Card " Super wipe , ICS Rom , PG58IMG.zip " , then check the md5 of the PG58IMG.zip while connected to PC
      • from home screen rebooted into recovery
      • flashed the ICS ARHD Rom in recovery
      • from recovery power off the device , then boot into bootloader ( by press and hold volume down then press and hold power )
      • when it boots into bootloader it find the PG58IMG.zip and asks you to update , choose yes ( by press volume up )
      • Reboot after update complete
      • done

For S-Off on OTA update

Okay, I tried the taco root exploit as suggested here.

Since I'm new to Android, the process was a little vague for me. Finally managed to get it done properly after reading through I really don't know how many pages :p here on this forum and google searches. Didn't wanna risk a brick, lol.

I've just written down the step by step procedure if someone like me needs the help.

1st off, my device is a Sensation running 2.3.4 OTA stock, unrooted/ untouched and Revolutionary fails to S-off this phone.

You'll need the tacoroot.bin file (I got mine from the htcsupertool v3 zip)
    ADB set up.
    HTC drivers. I used the HTC v 3.0.0.007 drivers.

Copy/move the tacoroot.bin file to a folder and open a command window from there or move it to the Android SDK/ tools folder (my set up) and navigate there from a command window depending on how you have ADB setup.

Run the following adb commands.
    Code:
    adb push tacoroot.bin /data/local
    adb shell chmod 755 /data/local/tacoroot.bin
    adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin --setup

The phone will reboot to recovery.
    Press Volume Up, Volume Down and Power.
    Reboot.
    Press the Power button once if the screen remains blank (dark).
    Wait for boot.
    Run the following command.

Code:
    adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin --root

The phone will reboot.
    Run Revolutionary.
    Once Revolutionary is successful, reboot.
    Run the following command.

Code:
    adb shell /data/local/tacoroot.bin –undo

Done. Go ahead with custom recovery etc. I did not install any custom recovery with Revolutionary as I didn't want to risk anything. Someone better equipped folks might be able to say if that would disrupt the whole process.

Going to install ARHD 6.5.1 XE on this Sensation now (it's a friend's, my own XE is running the same without all this drama :) )

Note: Shamelessly copied bits and parts from all over the forum and the net. Thanks to everyone here and no offense if something has been taken from someone without acknowledgement.
    reserved

reserved ........
    hi trkaaa,

thanks for this awesome guide!
    I've got a question regarding flashing a custom rom while S-ON hboot 1.27, running stock ICS, firmware 3.32:
    I've got the following going:
    -htcdev unlock
    -4ext recovery TOUCH
    -flashed both su zips, went ok, but root access fails in stock rom
    -nandroid backup done

I was going to try the ARHD ROM you recommended, but hesitated when I read this in the 'how to'-flashguide to ARHD 6.6x ICS rom thread. There I read the following:

since I'm only htcdev unlocked I was wondering what this warning is about.. Can I go ahead and:
    - superwipe
    - install ARHD without the firmware flash?
    is there something else I should be doing?
    final question:
    will the nandroid restore work is my case?

• thank you very much , read the updates in the guide again i updated it few days ago
    • ARHD 6.6.x is proved installed successfully by member
    • i contacted joaquinf to inform him of that in here 363 , and later on he linked a member to this Guide here 373 , so no problem he just didn't correct his thread
    • you will follow my Guide , cause you will not be flashing Firmware and if you have wifi error you will flash the boot.img or use the Alternative method for flashing boot.img
    • htc dev allow installing SU , Custom recovery and Roms , you can backup and restore
    • NAND backup don't restore firmware , it means you can Backup and restore for your same exact firmware version ( i.e you can't restore GB Backup or so )
    • you should install SU properly if it is not , try to update your Busybox or install SU v3.0.7 efghi