Matsunichi/Innocomm 'Griffin' M6001 (aka Le Pan TC970) ICS/CM9 development thread

Search This thread

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
Do you think ics will be at a usable speed in the future?

It appears to perform okay on the videos I've seen of the Nook Color which has the same processor, but clocked slower. There is a very slight lag, but nothing worse than we already get with Froyo. I believe they do NOT have UI acceleration working on ICS for Nook Color, and that's probably the explanation for the slight lag.
Once UI acceleration is working, that lag should go away and ICS should be much faster than Froyo. ICS on my HP Touchpad responds instantaneously and is significantly faster and more responsive than Gingerbread was.

sockbot

Dec 27, 2011
It appears to perform okay on the videos I've seen of the Nook Color which has the same processor, but clocked slower. There is a very slight lag, but nothing worse than we already get with Froyo. I believe they do NOT have UI acceleration working on ICS for Nook Color, and that's probably the explanation for the slight lag.
Once UI acceleration is working, that lag should go away and ICS should be much faster than Froyo. ICS on my HP Touchpad responds instantaneously and is significantly faster and more responsive than Gingerbread was.

What needs to happen in order to get UI acceleration? Is the hardware documentation open so that drivers can be written? I know a lot of open source software has trouble with accelerated video when the designer doesn't release hardware documentation.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
What needs to happen in order to get UI acceleration? Is the hardware documentation open so that drivers can be written? I know a lot of open source software has trouble with accelerated video when the designer doesn't release hardware documentation.

I have no idea. I don't know where kernel drivers for Linux/Android come from in the first place. If they come from the manufacturer, then it could be that TI doesn't have any ICS kernel drivers for the OMAP3 because it's probably an obsolete platform (TI wants to sell OMAP4 now).

From the Nook Color ICS thread (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1370873):

*Fully accelerated composition of the UI - this is not likely and may be dependent on 3rd party closed source EGL libs getting updated

It would sure be nice if they get it figured out. My HP Touchpad with ICS now has UI speed and responsiveness I had only previously seen in iOS devices.

GnatGoSplat

Apr 29, 2007
we cheer on
right, they really wanted to emulate the ipod port, could be something to that

That would make more sense if iPod connectors could plug in without modification and if the pinouts matched up. Unfortunately, only the USB data pins are the same, the audio and video aren't so we can't use iPod A/V cables and accessories.

fixit35

Jan 29, 2012
gainesville ga
trying to compile this code in linux to unpack rom ..i extracted the unpacker and used the gcc* lines can you give me more info on how to get this working...im a windows user not good with linux.

The Innocomm 'packer' (and the latest version of the 'unpacker') are finally done and you can find the source code attached to this post.
You can compile them as follows:

gcc -O -Wall -o packer packer.c -lz -lcrypto
gcc -O -Wall -o unpacker unpacker.c -lz -lcrypto

Some notes on how to use them:

- First the 'unpacker'

unpacker [-v] [-c] <firmware file>

where the new command line options are as follows:

-v verbose; prints a bunch of debugging information to stderr
-c print configuration; prints the configuration file for the 'packer' to stdout

so a possible use of the 'unpacker' would be:

unpacker -c griffin.ifw > griffin.conf

The configuration file is a simple text file and, if you want to start 'packing' your own firmware for the TC970/griffin, you may want to take a look at it (and possibly edit it to your liking before 'packing')

- The 'packer' does pretty much the reverse of the 'unpacker'; you just run it in a directory with all the images you want to pack and the configuration file (either the 'griffin.conf' from the previous step or an edited version of it to suit your needs).
The packer can be run from the command line as follows:

packer mygriffin.ifw < griffin.conf

(of course you have to rename 'mygriffin.ifw' to 'griffin.ifw' before you copy it to the SD card).

Please note that the only missing part from the unpacker/packer is the whole file checksum; I haven't figure out (yet) how to compute it, but chinabull found out the Innocomm xloader (MLO) and u-boot don't check it (while 'idownload' probably does), so firmwares created with the 'packer' should be loaded without any problem by the TC970/griffin.

I think that's it.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Franco

xcosminel

Dec 20, 2011
what are you having trouble with? the instructions are pretty straight forward. is there an error you're getting?

fixit35

Jan 29, 2012
gainesville ga
when i use gcc -O -Wall -o unpacker unpacker.c -lz -lcrypto in comand it has multi errors then i try to use unpacker -c griffin.ifw > griffin.conf it saying unpacker not found... i got unpacker.c in the same directory im in in comand

what are you having trouble with? the instructions are pretty straight forward. is there an error you're getting?

whatid

Jul 27, 2006
when i use gcc -O -Wall -o unpacker unpacker.c -lz -lcrypto in comand it has multi errors then i try to use unpacker -c griffin.ifw > griffin.conf it saying unpacker not found... i got unpacker.c in the same directory im in in comand

my guess is you never really get it to compile at the first place and of course you can't run unpacker. unpacker.c is just a source code. Perhaps you need to look at the error message first to see what's wrong. maybe you don't have the crypto libs to link to?

fv+

Oct 17, 2010
How to build CM9/ICS for the griffin/TC970 - WI(Very)P

Update 2/20/2012

I was finally able to compile the full ICS/CM9 for the Matsunichi griffin/LaPan TC970.
I managed to create a 'system' image but I am not sure if it works at all.
I update the github repo with all the files I used under 'device/matsunichi/griffin' to create 'system'.
I am also updating the steps below, so anyone should be able to build it.

Many thanks to cas_xp for sharing his 'device/matsunichi/griffin' files with me, so I could use some of his settings/ideas for CM9.

Franco

===============================================================================

First of all this is just beginning - the last line in this post is 'To be continued...'

The purpose of this post is to allow/encourage everyone here to build CM9/ICS for the griffin/TC970, so that everyone can help and we can make some progress together.

Since the griffin/TC970 has the same TI OMAP3 processor and the same WL1271 Wifi chip as the Nook Color, I thought it would be a good idea to start with fattire's "CM9 for NookColor Build Instructions" (http://kan.gd/1bvw), as pointed out by GnatGoSplat in the post #105 (thanks GnatGoSplat for giving me a good start!)

There are more or less the same items listed by fattire, with some changes/modifications for the griffin/TC970.
This is a very initial list; I'll expand it later, depending onthe questions that come up. Also since I am using Linux here, these instructions might require some changes for Windows/Mac.

1. Install the Android SDK with ADB (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Install_the_Android_SDK)

2. Install 'git', a bunch of other packages and 'repo' (instructions here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Barnes_&_Noble_Nook_Color:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)):

For 32-bit & 64-bit systems:

git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool

For 64-bit only systems:

g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline5-dev gcc-4.3-multilib g++-4.3-multilib

mkdir -p ~/bin ~/android/system

curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo

chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

(possibly add ~/bin to your PATH)

3. Download CM9

cd ~/android/system/

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics

repo sync -j4 ('repo sync -j16', if you are in a hurry)

... wait ....

4. Add the 'android_device_matsunichi_griffin' github repository to receive automatic updates anytime you do 'repo sync', by adding the following lines to the XML file '~/android/system/.repo/local_manifest.xml':

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<manifest>

<remote name = "gh"
fetch="git://github.com/" />

<project path="device/matsunichi/griffin"
name="fventuri/android_device_matsunichi_griffin"
remote="gh"
revision="ics"/>

</manifest>

after adding these lines, the command 'repo sync' again should pull the few extra files for the griffin/TC970.

The github repository ( https://github.com/fventuri/android_device_matsunichi_griffin) you just added is where I pushed all the files/scripts specific to the griffin/TC970; anyone should be able to branch out of it, and I'll be more than happy to merge the changes in the 'ics' branch.

5. Extract the proprietary/vendor files from the device or from the 'unpacked' firmware image.
Option 5.a - from the device itself:
- make sure you have 'adb' installed and properly configured and that the device is 'rooted' ('adb shell' should return the '#' prompt)
- cd android/system/device/matsunichi/griffin
- ./extract-files.sh
Option 5.b - from an 'unpacked' firmware image
- 'unpack' the file 'griffin.ifw' using the 'unpacker' code attached to the first post
- extract the files from the 'system' filesystem using 'unyaffs' (you can obtain it from here: http://code.google.com/p/unyaffs/downloads/list)
- cd android/system/device/matsunich/griffin
-./extract-files.sh <directory where you extracted system>

6. Extract the kernel, iload (MLO) and iboot (u-boot.bin). Since I haven't found a good way to extract them from the live tablet, the only option you have is to use the 'unpacker' and then run:
-./extract-kernel.sh

7. set up the Android environment and run 'lunch':
- cd android/system
- . ./build/envsetup.sh (you should see 'matsunichi/griffin' in the list)
- lunch
- choose the selection 'full_griffin-eng'

8. Finally run 'make':
- make

If all goes well, congratulations! You have managed to compile CM9; all the 'goodies' are in 'android/system/out/target/product/griffin'.

Don't try to run them on the actual tablet unless you know better than me what you are doing!

More on these files in the next episode of this saga....

To be continued....

Last edited:

FEF

Apr 21, 2007
Since much of this kind of work is thankless... Thanks, to all involved, for the time put into this project. It's a beautiful thing, indeed

Thanks, again, for the work being done.

butch6924

Dec 27, 2011
Let me throw in my thanks too. This level of tech is way over my head. But I am very grateful you all are giving away your free time for something that benefits others.

The LePan is a pretty solid machine, but that stock OS handcuffs what it can do. For instance, the video play back is a joke in apps like IMDB, Redbox, and the YouTube app. But, I know the machine is capable of more based on what Dolphin browser can do with the YouTube HD videos.

Thanks again to everyone who is contributing their time to this project.

sockbot

Dec 27, 2011
Franco, we haven't heard from you in a while. Are thing still progressing slowly but steadily?

xcosminel

Dec 20, 2011
There's an update in the first post of this thread. Also the repository had many new files added recently.

On a side note I tried to compile the unpacker in Windows but realized that I was missing some of the libraries it needed and stopped there. So the people that were getting errors earlier compiling the packer and unpacker make sure you check the includes in the two files and see if you have all the required files.

fv+

Oct 17, 2010
I am still around and working on CM9/ICS for the TC970.
I was able to compile the code and generate 'system.img', but I not very familiar with the Android boot process and with the way the NAND memory is partitioned (if you have more information about it, please let me know), so before I make a flashable image out of it, I want to make sure it is going to more or less work.

Franco

Reactions: sockbot and esunday

sburns90

Jan 20, 2012
iBoot

I have compiled an short how to guide if anyone is stuck in a bootloop or is unable to get to CWM.

(I do NOT believe this is off the topic of TC970 development, so I am sorry if it is)

Link: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=23386089&postcount=142

----EDIT------

This is not to simply access the recovery menu.
This guide is to get to the iBoot menu which can resolve low level issues and is on a lower lever than the recovery menu.
This is to access the bootloader for the TC970.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update: It looks like not all the images in the griffin.ifw are needed for running CWM.
    So I have cut the fat and redone the signature.

Now the CWM package griffin.ifw is only 5.3M as oppose to the original 94M.
    So much easier and lighter now! :)

==================================================================

I am happy to present a working version of CWM Recovery for our beloved LePan TC970.

You don't have to flash the CWM Recovery. It runs from external SD card directly.

I built it from the source so it's pretty much the latest version. 5.0.2.7

So far what is working:

- Keys, Volume -/+ to navigate the menu, Power key to select. The power key doesn't work right after boot. You would have to first scroll down the cursor to the bottom and you will see a message saying "Back menu button enabled". Then it works.
    - Display is still up side down, well, what the hell!
    - External SD card works and will be default place to be used for update/backup/restore.
    - mounting /data, /system works. Mounting USB Storage works.
    - Backup works.Assuming restore should work, too.
    - Install from zip should work, though I have not tried it. I can browse the SD card contents.
    - Power off/Reboot works.

Not working:
    - /emmc mounting failed. That partition is not even there. So don't care.
    - Display is up side down. :)

When kernel boot in recovery mode, it exposes all the mtd partitions including all the bootloaders, etc.

cat /proc/mtd
    dev: size erasesize name
    mtd0: 00080000 00020000 "iload"
    mtd1: 00180000 00020000 "iboot"
    mtd2: 00120000 00020000 "boardenv"
    mtd3: 00280000 00020000 "innocomm"
    mtd4: 00380000 00020000 "splash"
    mtd5: 00180000 00020000 "chargesplash"
    mtd6: 00180000 00020000 "badifw_logo"
    mtd7: 003c0000 00020000 "recovery"
    mtd8: 00200000 00020000 "rootfs"
    mtd9: 003c0000 00020000 "kernel"
    mtd10: 00080000 00020000 "misc"
    mtd11: 000c0000 00020000 "kpanic"
    mtd12: 10000000 00020000 "system"
    mtd13: 003c0000 00020000 "cache"
    mtd14: 0e560000 00020000 "userdata"

WARNING HERE: Please be super careful using the CWM "Mounts and Storage" menu - format options.
    If you format the wrong partition like iload, iboot, your lepan could be totally dead.

Download the update package from here .

MD5SUM of the griffin.ifw (5,540,092 bytes):

872579029b22e05db1abdccfd2a9119e *griffin.ifw

Installation steps:

1. Please make sure you have enough battery left.
    2. Copy the griffin.ifw to the external SD card and put it into Lepan.
    3. Press and Hold both Volume - and Power key, Keep on holding it for at least 5 seconds after you see the LePan logo.
    4. Release both buttons and wait. CWM should start automatically.

Have fun and good luck.
    How to build CM9/ICS for the griffin/TC970 - WI(Very)P

Update 2/20/2012

I was finally able to compile the full ICS/CM9 for the Matsunichi griffin/LaPan TC970.
    I managed to create a 'system' image but I am not sure if it works at all.
    I update the github repo with all the files I used under 'device/matsunichi/griffin' to create 'system'.
    I am also updating the steps below, so anyone should be able to build it.

Many thanks to cas_xp for sharing his 'device/matsunichi/griffin' files with me, so I could use some of his settings/ideas for CM9.

Franco

===============================================================================

First of all this is just beginning - the last line in this post is 'To be continued...'

The purpose of this post is to allow/encourage everyone here to build CM9/ICS for the griffin/TC970, so that everyone can help and we can make some progress together.

Since the griffin/TC970 has the same TI OMAP3 processor and the same WL1271 Wifi chip as the Nook Color, I thought it would be a good idea to start with fattire's "CM9 for NookColor Build Instructions" (http://kan.gd/1bvw), as pointed out by GnatGoSplat in the post #105 (thanks GnatGoSplat for giving me a good start!)

There are more or less the same items listed by fattire, with some changes/modifications for the griffin/TC970.
    This is a very initial list; I'll expand it later, depending onthe questions that come up. Also since I am using Linux here, these instructions might require some changes for Windows/Mac.

1. Install the Android SDK with ADB (http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Howto:_Install_the_Android_SDK)

2. Install 'git', a bunch of other packages and 'repo' (instructions here http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/wiki/Barnes_&_Noble_Nook_Color:_Compile_CyanogenMod_(Linux)):

For 32-bit & 64-bit systems:

git-core gnupg flex bison gperf libsdl1.2-dev libesd0-dev libwxgtk2.6-dev squashfs-tools build-essential zip curl libncurses5-dev zlib1g-dev sun-java6-jdk pngcrush schedtool

For 64-bit only systems:

g++-multilib lib32z1-dev lib32ncurses5-dev lib32readline5-dev gcc-4.3-multilib g++-4.3-multilib

mkdir -p ~/bin ~/android/system

curl https://dl-ssl.google.com/dl/googlesource/git-repo/repo > ~/bin/repo

chmod a+x ~/bin/repo

(possibly add ~/bin to your PATH)

3. Download CM9

cd ~/android/system/

repo init -u git://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git -b ics

repo sync -j4 ('repo sync -j16', if you are in a hurry)

... wait ....

4. Add the 'android_device_matsunichi_griffin' github repository to receive automatic updates anytime you do 'repo sync', by adding the following lines to the XML file '~/android/system/.repo/local_manifest.xml':

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <manifest>

<remote name = "gh"
    fetch="git://github.com/" />

<project path="device/matsunichi/griffin"
    name="fventuri/android_device_matsunichi_griffin"
    remote="gh"
    revision="ics"/>

</manifest>

after adding these lines, the command 'repo sync' again should pull the few extra files for the griffin/TC970.

The github repository ( https://github.com/fventuri/android_device_matsunichi_griffin) you just added is where I pushed all the files/scripts specific to the griffin/TC970; anyone should be able to branch out of it, and I'll be more than happy to merge the changes in the 'ics' branch.

5. Extract the proprietary/vendor files from the device or from the 'unpacked' firmware image.
    Option 5.a - from the device itself:
    - make sure you have 'adb' installed and properly configured and that the device is 'rooted' ('adb shell' should return the '#' prompt)
    - ./extract-files.sh
    Option 5.b - from an 'unpacked' firmware image
    - 'unpack' the file 'griffin.ifw' using the 'unpacker' code attached to the first post
    - extract the files from the 'system' filesystem using 'unyaffs' (you can obtain it from here: http://code.google.com/p/unyaffs/downloads/list)
    - cd android/system/device/matsunich/griffin
    -./extract-files.sh <directory where you extracted system>

6. Extract the kernel, iload (MLO) and iboot (u-boot.bin). Since I haven't found a good way to extract them from the live tablet, the only option you have is to use the 'unpacker' and then run:
    -./extract-kernel.sh

7. set up the Android environment and run 'lunch':
    - cd android/system
    - . ./build/envsetup.sh (you should see 'matsunichi/griffin' in the list)
    - lunch
    - choose the selection 'full_griffin-eng'

8. Finally run 'make':
    - make

If all goes well, congratulations! You have managed to compile CM9; all the 'goodies' are in 'android/system/out/target/product/griffin'.

Don't try to run them on the actual tablet unless you know better than me what you are doing!

More on these files in the next episode of this saga....

To be continued....
    I am no longer working on this project (see the 3/15 update below).
    However cas_xp is already working on porting ICS/CM9 to the LePan TC970.
    The XDA thread with all his work is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1483954
    (if anyone has a link to the thread specific to CM9 for the TC970, please let me know and I'll update the link above).

================================================================================

This thread is about gathering and sharing info about the hardware, firmware, Linux kernel and modules for the Mitsunichi/Innocom 'Griffin' M6001 tablet, aka Le Pan TC970 in order to be able to port ICS/CM9 to it, if possible.

I'd like to keep this thread about 'low-level' hardware/kernel, i.e. please do not post questions about rooting this tablet (it has already been done, see here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1353951) or about problems with specific applications.

Since there are so many awesome developments in this thread, I decided to just put the interesting news and links here and move the historical info in the second post below.

Franco

================================================================================

Update 3/15/2012

Last Sunday flying back home they had me check-in with the regular luggage my bag with the LePan 970 and when I turned it back on at home that night, it had a bunch of stripes of dead pixels on the screen; it is pretty much unusable now.
    Also my wife gave me a new different tablet (which already runs ICS) for my birthday yesterday, so at this point I won't be working on the LePan TC970 anymore.

I just saw that the great cas_xp is already working and making good progress on a version of CM9/ICS for the LePan TC970 (see here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1483954 and here https://github.com/cas-xp/device_lepan_griffin) and I wish the best of luck in this project.

I had really fun working on this tablet with all the people here (chinabull, cas_xp, and everyone else of course) and I am already working on the new one.

See you later,
    Franco

Update 2/20/2012

I was finally able to compile all of CM9/ICS with specific files for the griffin/TC970 (no ROM yet).
    All the details, how to get the files, and compile it on your PC are in the 'how-to' post ( http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22007753&postcount=113).
    Please do try to compile it yourself, but don't try to run those files on your tablet.

Update 2/7/2012

Big news!
    cas_xp has released a beta version of Gingerbread/CM7 for the griffin/TC970. The thread with all the information is here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1483954

Awesome job cas_xp!!!

Update 1/30/2012

I tried to put together an initial attempt of an 'how-to' docoment about trying to build CM9/ICS for the griffin/TC970 tablet (movie spoiler: no, I can't build/run ICS yet).
    The link to the post is here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=22007753&postcount=113

I also created a github repository with the device specific code and configuration files to port CM9/ICS to this tablet (it is all in the post).

Comments, contributions to the code and conf files in the repo are most welcome!

Update 1/27/2012

cas_xp was able to get Gingerbread (CM7) running on the first time! (http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21888312&postcount=93)!!!

Congratulations to cas_xp for this big success!

Update 1/22/2012

I finally found the time to write the Innocomm firmware 'packer' (and a newer version of 'unpacker'), so we can create our own firmwares for the TC970/griffin.

Since I thought it is better if I keep this post just for the progress updates for this this thread, I just put the descriptions on what 'unpacker 'and 'packer' do and how to use them here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21707308&postcount=80.

Sometime I'll also clean up this post a little bit (and put all the historical information in the second post).

Update 1/19/2012

chinabull has created a working ClockworkMod Recovery for the LePan TC970/griffin; his post with all the instructions is here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=21563628&postcount=44.
    Please read his whole post wuth all the instructions; please not that this is still a work in progress and that there are risks with your tablet involved with this installation; you may want to read all the posts after chinabull's to have an idea of the possible risks and workarounds.

Again my hat off to chinabull for this great achivement!

Update 18/1/2012

More great news!
    chinabull figured out a way to replace Innocomm recovery with an already existing ClockworkMod, sign the firmware with this new version and install it on his tablet.
    This means that we should now the able to build our own firmwares for the TC970/griffin.
    Many thanks to chinabull for his awesome achievement!

You can find all the other information in the 'historical' log below.
    Just checked out the CM9 tree and rebuilt the CM9 ICS flashable package for Nook color.

I had a quick look at the structure of nook support and our TC970, it's pretty similar in term of the proprietary files. The kernel is also the same version 2.6.32.9.

I'll copy the nook support code over tc970 directory and start hacking!
    The Innocomm 'packer' (and the latest version of the 'unpacker') are finally done and you can find the source code attached to this post.
    You can compile them as follows:

gcc -O -Wall -o packer packer.c -lz -lcrypto
    gcc -O -Wall -o unpacker unpacker.c -lz -lcrypto

Some notes on how to use them:

- First the 'unpacker'

unpacker [-v] [-c] <firmware file>

where the new command line options are as follows:

-v verbose; prints a bunch of debugging information to stderr
    -c print configuration; prints the configuration file for the 'packer' to stdout

so a possible use of the 'unpacker' would be:

unpacker -c griffin.ifw > griffin.conf

The configuration file is a simple text file and, if you want to start 'packing' your own firmware for the TC970/griffin, you may want to take a look at it (and possibly edit it to your liking before 'packing')

- The 'packer' does pretty much the reverse of the 'unpacker'; you just run it in a directory with all the images you want to pack and the configuration file (either the 'griffin.conf' from the previous step or an edited version of it to suit your needs).
    The packer can be run from the command line as follows:

packer mygriffin.ifw < griffin.conf

(of course you have to rename 'mygriffin.ifw' to 'griffin.ifw' before you copy it to the SD card).

Please note that the only missing part from the unpacker/packer is the whole file checksum; I haven't figure out (yet) how to compute it, but chinabull found out the Innocomm xloader (MLO) and u-boot don't check it (while 'idownload' probably does), so firmwares created with the 'packer' should be loaded without any problem by the TC970/griffin.

I think that's it.

Let me know if you have any problems or questions.

Franco