What is simple2ext (S2E)?
S2E on Android Market

S2E installs a script on your phone, together with a Graphical User Interface, which allows you to move various parts of the Android OS from /data to /sd-ext

The original thread for S2E is here

As you can see, S2E was originally designed for CM7. Because of this, there are two issues with the current ICS release:
  1. There is no support for userinit shell scripts
  2. You can't download the app from the market, as it's currently listed as supporting SDK version up to 10 (Android 4.0.3 is 15)
  3. The "Reboot" option in S2E doesn't work (you need to reboot your phone as you normally would

For the geeks (like me) who want to see where the suppored SDK is listed inside S2E, OlegKrikun provides us the source code as well. You can check it out here: AndroidManifest.xml

The solution is:
  1. Copy the userinit script from CM7 (credits go to the CyanogenMod team for it)
  2. Download S2E while running any GB ROM (like CM7) - credits to OlegKrikun
  3. Make a nice little flashing update.zip for when you install ICS from scratch. You can also install it after you installed/configured your ICS if you haven't moved your stuff to your sd-ext!!!

Just to be on the safe side, I always recommend removing other build-in a2sd (or m2sd or whatever2whatever) scripts. In our case, it's the /system/etc/init.d/10a2sd script which I remove.

The attached zip file installs s2e.apk in your /system/app folder. It also installs /system/etc/20userinit file from CM7 and deletes the /system/etc/10apps2sd

Please use ext4 partition for your sd-ext!

Configuring S2E:

After booting for the first time, start S2E from your Drawer and configure the following:
  1. Menu->Settings: Check "Advanced mode", "Mount as ext4" and "Set read buffer"
  2. On the main screen, check all that you wish there. Because I use more than 70 apps and some have HUGE data, I ended up checking everything there.
  3. Reboot

The reboot will take a while. Especially if you chose to move dalvik-cache as well. Be patient.

Needless to say, what applies for any other script applies to this one as well: your NAND is a lot faster and a lot more stable (or should be) than any SD card. If you have an old/buggy/slow SD, your experience will be a bad one.

Last but not least:
  • Please make sure you read the information provided here. While I've tried to make everything as simple as possible, it can make your evening miserable if you forgot you actually installed another script to move your data to the sd-ext and started using S2E as well.
  • When asking any support questions, please include any logs your phone creates. The more information the better. You can't really think "I have a problem" or "it doesn't work" or "Y U NO ANSWER" will actually provide the geeks in us with enough information to help out...

TL/DR
  • Make sure your sd-ext is formatted using ext4
  • Flash Sandvold's ICS
  • Flash the attached ICS_simple2ext.zip
  • Boot and configure your ICS Google/whatever account (don't install your programs yet)
  • Configure S2E according to the attached screenshots
  • Reboot
  • ?????
  • Win!

I should probably spend less time on http://9gag.com
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-06-21-50-59.png
Views:	1258
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	890366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-06-21-51-10.png
Views:	1050
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	890367   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2012-02-06-21-51-37.png
Views:	978
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	890368  
Attached Files
File Type: zip ICS_simple2ext.zip - [Click for QR Code] (178.2 KB, 12423 views)
Too many android devices to have them listed here!

about.me/tlex

Don't hate me because I'm awesome! Hate me because I'm awesomer than you!