[NIGHTLY][ROM][4.0.4] CyanogenMod 9 for the Samsung Vibrant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

a2296455

May 2, 2011
Defcon that is because the updater-script in cm9 checks for Vibrant model in build prop and if it doesn't match then you get that assert error. Try flashing Glitch kernel in recovery, reboot back in to recovery and flash cm9. Let me guess that your coming from ICS passion? FE the new official cm9 boot animation is amazing and the perfect touch!

I formatted everything through CWM so I didn't have a build.prop

Now I can't get into CWM recovery to reinstall passion and to flash glitch on top of that. Any ideas how to get back into recovery? The three button method isn't working...

mishamosher

Jul 23, 2010
Great ROM!

Damn, awesome bootanimation!

Everything is great for me, using 3/17 GAPPS from goo.im, and also a GB bootloader. The rest is just as stock CM as comes in the 3/31 nightly package.

Smooth as butter :)

Long life to cats xD!

mishamosher

Jul 23, 2010
Reactions: Blars1206

a2296455

May 2, 2011
Quick question - does CM9 not support charging while off? I don't think its working on the Vibrant at all...

Woofdah

Apr 1, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Oh man is this smooth. I skipped all the gb and other ics roms and was groovin on some great Froyo. But I got ICS on my tablet and loved it. This is just freakin awesome.

I know it is early, but can anyone tell me. On my tablet I can just flash the nightlies without wiping. Do we know yet if it will work the same for the Vibe?

mishamosher

Jul 23, 2010
Quick question - does CM9 not support charging while off? I don't think its working on the Vibrant at all...

Well, it isn't really a CM9 trouble, it's more the way that Vibrant's hardware works.

On Vibrants and other phones (Droid 2 Global for example), the charging module that gives food to the battery NEEDS to turn on the phone, at less the "Charge-Only" mode.

The Charge-Only mode takes around 10 secs to show up, it practically doesn't consum battery, and the phone charges fast because no other things are getting battery energy (GPS, WiFi, BT, etc are OFF in this mode).

And, of course, the standard charging mode happens when phone is charging and it's... turned ON.

There are other hardwares that are completely independient, like the HTC Dream that doesn't require at all that you turn on the phone to charge it.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Oh man is this smooth. I skipped all the gb and other ics roms and was groovin on some great Froyo. But I got ICS on my tablet and loved it. This is just freakin awesome.

I know it is early, but can anyone tell me. On my tablet I can just flash the nightlies without wiping. Do we know yet if it will work the same for the Vibe?
Well, nightlies are kinda pandora's box some cases... you'll not know what happens if you install them...

But, for best results, wipe is highly recommended on nightlies, and if you're comming from another ROM that isn't CM9 don't have a doubt that you need to wipe (CM7, Passion, Euphoria, etc are different to CM9).

a2296455

May 2, 2011
Well, it isn't really a CM9 trouble, it's more the way that Vibrant's hardware works.

On Vibrants and other phones (Droid 2 Global for example), the charging module that gives food to the battery NEEDS to turn on the phone, at less the "Charge-Only" mode.

The Charge-Only mode takes around 10 secs to show up, it practically doesn't consum battery, and the phone charges fast because no other things are getting battery energy (GPS, WiFi, BT, etc are OFF in this mode).

And, of course, the standard charging mode happens when phone is charging and it's... turned ON.

There are other hardwares that are completely independient, like the HTC Dream that doesn't require at all that you turn on the phone to charge it.

---------- Post added at 10:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:47 PM ----------

Well, nightlies are kinda pandora's box some cases... you'll not know what happens if you install them...

But, for best results, wipe is highly recommended on nightlies, and if you're comming from another ROM that isn't CM9 don't have a doubt that you need to wipe (CM7, Passion, Euphoria, etc are different to CM9).

I just want to make sure if our phone dies before we can charge it we can turn it on and charge it with the charger in place

ZUBAIR1291

Apr 27, 2011
karachi
cm9 or teamhacksung cm9

is it same as cm9 by teamhacksung and their build 17??? because build 17 is quiite old now till it was uploaded if both teams are same then should i consider this nightly with less bugs? and if both are same then whyy they did not updated their post..:|..............great jo by cyanogenmod...:)

mishamosher

Jul 23, 2010
I just want to make sure if our phone dies before we can charge it we can turn it on and charge it with the charger in place
Yeap, with no troubles, if you've the phone off because the battery died completely you can connect it to the energy and it will charge. Charge-Only mode demands energy from the charger to show up, it doesn't rely on the battery.

mishamosher

Jul 23, 2010
is it same as cm9 by teamhacksung and their build 17??? because build 17 is quiite old now till it was uploaded if both teams are same then should i consider this nightly with less bugs? and if both are same then whyy they did not updated their post..:|..............great jo by cyanogenmod...:)
As far as I know, Team Hacksung's ICS ROM for Vibrant is inactive for now, in this CM9 ROM there's other people involved.

So, nope, this CM9 ROM and Team Hacksung's ICS ROM are different at this stage, and this CM9 ROM has many, much many features, functionality and stability.

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:02 PM ----------

How does this compare to ExRom?
I would say it's kinda more stable in the sense that the functionality that this CM9 ROM has works, and really, works.

On ExROM there are still things that need little tweaking and work to have them in functional state.

But in the end of the way, it could be reduced to a matter of taste, both roms looks great, both roms are really good, both roms performs as needed. So, give them a try and decide wich one will you love :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please note that there may be intermittent emergency dialing issues and/or GPS/AGPS issues (including GPS daemon crashing, which does not restart) which could hinder location of you in an emergency.

CyanogenMod is a free, community built, aftermarket firmware distribution of Android 4.0.4 (Ice Cream Sandwich), which is designed to increase performance and reliability over stock Android for your device.

Code:
    #include <std/disclaimer.h>
    /*
     * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, thermonuclear
     * war, or the current economic crisis caused by you following these
     * directions. YOU are choosing to make these modificiations, and
     * if you point your finger at me for messing up your device, I will
     * laugh at you.
     */

This thread is for the development of CyanogenMod 9 nightlies for the Samsung Vibrant (aka SGH-T959), the Galaxy S 4G / Vibrant 4G (SGH-T959V) is not supported here. Nightlies are built each night with the very latest code, for this reason, they are extremely experimental and should be avoided by beginners and people who have important responsibilities tied to the usage of their phone.

CyanogenMod is based on the Android Open Source Project with extra contributions from many people within the Android community. It can be used without any need to have any Google application installed. Linked below is a package that has come from another Android project that restore the Google parts. CyanogenMod does still include various hardware-specific code, which is also slowly being open-sourced anyway.

All the source code for CyanogenMod is available in the CyanogenMod Github repo. And if you would like to contribute to CyanogenMod, please visit out Gerrit Code Review.

[font=Calibri, Arial]Known Issues[/font]​
    Probably still has intermittent emergency dialing issues (such as 911) like CM7
    See the rest of the issues here.

Please report new issues here:
    http://code.google.com/p/vibrant-cm/issues/list

[font=Calibri, Arial]Downloads[/font]​
    Did you read known issues? No? Go read them.

DO NOT USE AS A DAILY DRIVER

ROM: http://get.cm/?device=vibrantmtd&type=nightly
    Google Apps: http://goo.im/gapps/gapps-ics-20120429-signed.zip

[font=Calibri, Arial]Installing[/font]​
    ... from another CM9 nightly
    1. Reboot into recovery
    2. Do a nandroid backup (just in case)
    3. Install from ZIP
    4. Reboot
    5. If it gives you trouble later, wipe cache, and reboot. If it still gives you trouble, do a full wipe, install again and reboot.

... from CyanogenMod 7 or a CM7-based ROM
    1. Reboot into recovery
    2. Do a nandroid backup (just in case)
    3. Wipe everything (wipe data/factory reset)
    4. Install from ZIP
    5. Optionally install the Google Apps add-on.
    6. Reboot

... from stock 2.2 Froyo
    WARNING: Don't install if it's your first time flashing a phone!
    1. Install CWM Recovery by following this guide.
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Wipe everything (wipe data/factory reset)
    4. Install from ZIP.
    5. Optionally install the Google Apps add-on.
    6. Reboot.

WARNING: If you use Titanium Backup to backup your apps do not backup system data or system apps, restoring either of those on CM9 could cause issues.

[font=Calibri, Arial]FAQ[/font]​
    Q: I can't add my Google account!
    A: Install the Google Apps package from CWM recovery, linked above. This is standard procedure with CyanogenMod ROMs due to licensing issues with Google.

Q: Can you enter service mode with *#*#197328640#*#* like CM7?
    A: Yes.

Q: I keep getting "Installation Aborted" error 7
    A: Install the Glitch kernel and retry.

Q: Where's the changelog?
    A: http://changelog.bbqdroid.org/#vibrantmtd/cm9/latest

Q: When will the Linaro tweaks be merged?
    A: Don't know.

The CyanogenMod team would like to thank everyone involved in helping with testing, coding, debugging & documenting! Enjoy!
    [font=Calibri,Arial]How to Build[/font]​
    First initialize your build environment.

Now follow the "installing repo" section in this guide:
    http://source.android.com/source/downloading.html

Now downloading CyanogenMod source:
    Code:
    mkdir ~/Desktop/CM9
    cd ~/Desktop/CM9
    repo init -u http://github.com/CyanogenMod/android.git
    repo sync -j24

More setup:
    Code:
    . build/envsetup.sh
    breakfast cm_vibrantmtd-userdebug

Getting proprietary files:
    You must have a copy of CM9 for the Vibrant running on your phone for this part.
    Code:
    ( cd device/samsung/vibrantmtd && ./extract-files.sh )

Compiling:
    Code:
    mka bacon

Ok so here is my 911 experience. I live in Denver by the way, and I just emailed the 911 operations manager about doing a test call. She said that is fine just please do it between 8:30 and 11:30 as that is their lowest call volume.

So the first time I called it clicked, hung up and disabled my entire cell signal. No signal no data nothing. So I rebooted my phone, and google voice informed me I had 2 missed calls from the Denver PD. I tried again and it worked perfectly. I explained I was testing a piece of software, the woman was very friendly said that was no problem and they wouldn't send anyone out. She also confirmed that all the E911 info came up properly on her screen.

So I'm not sure what to make of this exactly. One time it did nothing though at least my number got through. The other time it worked great. I mean the first time could have been a glitch entirely unrelated to CM. Hard to say. It leaves me ambigious though. If I have a real emergency I really don't want to wait for the phone to reboot!

---------- Post added at 10:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Oh and per my previous message of issues with Exchange.. turned out my work Exchange server was down. Working great now!