"Browser not responding" --- ASUS PLEASE FIX

Search This thread
Feb 8, 2012
Have an appified version of the previous script. The app version automatically applies the change on boot. Additionally, the data is written back to disk approximately every twelve hours as well as on shutdown (to save battery data is only written back when the tablet is in use). This means if the tablet randomly reboots or otherwise crashes then only changes since it was last written back are lost.

To begin using it just install the app, open it, and then reboot. If after rebooting you do not receive a superuser access request then installation was unsuccessful. To stop using it I recommend rebooting before and after uninstalling to avoid data loss.

View Source: https://github.com/jp-beaumont/Browser2Ram
Download Apk: http://db.tt/PAHet657 (or see attachment)

Notes:
  1. Requires root.
  2. Only tested on stock rom.
  3. Lacks any error checking.
  4. If it breaks something I'm not responsible

Update (26/04/2012): Due to some details of how androids broadcast system works there was a bug in the previous version which wasn't caught in my initial testing. This bug prevented the fix from applying automatically on boot. A new version has been uploaded in it's place. If you installed the old version then you need to install the new version, open it, and then reboot. Upon rebooting you should receive a superuser request. If you do not receive this request after the first reboot installation was unsuccessful.

Update (24/05/2012): New version with reduced memory usage and smarter sync behaviour. To update simply download and install the new version, electing to replace the old version when asked, then reboot.

Attachments

• Browser2Ram-debug.apk
    15.2 KB · Views: 2,528
Last edited:

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Have an appified version of the previous script. The app version automatically applies the change on boot. Additionally, the data is written back to disk approximately every twelve hours as well as on shutdown (to save battery data is only written back when the tablet is in use). This means if the tablet randomly reboots or otherwise crashes then only changes since it was last written back are lost.

To begin using it just install the app and reboot. To stop using it I recommend rebooting before and after uninstalling to avoid data loss.

View Source: https ://github.com/jp-beaumont/Browser2Ram (damn new user no-links limit)
Download Apk: See attachment.

Notes:
  1. Requires root.

Thank you. I assume reboot after install?

UPDATE: Seemed to have worked after rebooted. Went to engadget.com and started scrolling while page was loading and couldnt get it to get the wait pop up. This was how I was able to replicate the issue. Gonna do some more testing tomorrow. Thank you.

It seems to have to made scrolling better or is that placebo. Intomobile.com is usually somewhat choppy with most browser specially stock but scrolls pretty smooth now. From time to time it stutters but for the most part its smooth.

Ok its only smooth when I scroll all the way down at the end of intomobile.com and smooth after that. Maybe thats just placebo but for sure I cant get it stock browser to crash or freeze anymore.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

drvsbsm

Jan 14, 2012
Ohio
Same issue here after .21 upgrade browser and battery sucks. I`m about done with asus prime and all asus except maybe mobo's, The prime looks nice but to many issues for me. I just want something that works like it is suppose to at least 95% - 98% of the time. Im looking into the aconia a510, this really has been a bad experience with my fist asus tablet. I got caught up in the stylish thin pad with dock hype now Im in $650 and I will probably have to take a $200 loss or more selling this thing. I wish it would not have turned out like this. Maybe the next upgrade will fix some of the remainig issues, I hope so.

Last edited:

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Same issue here after .21 upgrade browser and battery sucks. I`m about done with asus tablets, They look nice but to many issues for me. I just want something that works like it is suppose to at least 95% of the time, ASUS! Im looking into thr aconia a510, this really has been a bad experience with my fist asus tablet. I got caught up in the stylish thin pad with dock hype now Im in $650 and I will probably have to take a $200 loss or more selling this thing. I wish it would not have turned out like this. Maybe the next upgrade will fix some of the remainig issues, I hope so.

According to Lisa from MTR that the TF300 doesnt have this issue so I assume Asus will be able to fix it. Demandarin has already pointed this issue out to an Asus rep. So hopefully next release it'll be fixed. For now I'll use the apk as it seems to have elimanated the issue for me.

drvsbsm

Jan 14, 2012
Ohio
According to Lisa from MTR that the TF300 doesnt have this issue so I assume Asus will be able to fix it. Demandarin has already pointed this issue out to an Asus rep. So hopefully next release it'll be fixed.

Thanks for the info I really would like to see my prime running at a good, decent quality. I've been through everything with my 5 yes 5 different primes. This one worked good before the update. Something is really messed up how can an update .21 fix so many other primes, then others on here and mine got worse after update, I dont get it, it does not make sense.

I think tegra3 is not working right with ICS or something is conflicting, has anyone looked at how tegra3 is running on the new HTC One X reminds me of the prime, they are having a lot of the same issues. I was going to get the HTC ONE X but learned my lesson with all the primes I had issues with, so Im waiting to see the Galaxy S3.

Last edited:

vincepg13

Jul 23, 2011
Thanks for the info I really would like to see my prime running at a good, decent quality. I've been through everything with my 5 yes 5 different primes. This one worked good before the update. Something is really messed up how can an update .21 fix so many other primes, then others on here and mine got worse after update, I dont get it, it does not make sense.

I think tegra3 is not working right with ICS or something is conflicting, has anyone looked at how tegra3 is running on the new HTC One X reminds me of the prime, they are having a lot of the same issues. I was going to get the HTC ONE X but learned my lesson with all the primes I had issues with, so Im waiting to see the Galaxy S3.

To be fair....I haven't got any of the issues with my prime or the one x. Both the last updates for both devices completely fixed everything and I'm not just saying that. Well except stock browser getting bogged down, but turning plugins to on demand works for me.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

Bait-Fish

Aug 10, 2011
Southern California
Have an appified version of the previous script.
That worked fantastic! The browsers on my TP are not acting like my 2005 era laptop! Thank you, TheOnionKnight. Very fast. I haven't been able to test for waits yet but its noticeably fast.

I guess I should have thought about this before installing, but is there any possibility this could interfere with a future OTA? I don't see an uninstall for the app so my next assumption is it would be a manual process to revert?

NeoteriX

Jan 28, 2008
According to Lisa from MTR that the TF300 doesnt have this issue so I assume Asus will be able to fix it. Demandarin has already pointed this issue out to an Asus rep. So hopefully next release it'll be fixed. For now I'll use the apk as it seems to have elimanated the issue for me.

The TF300 happens to have DDR3 RAM which is an upgrade over the DDR2 on the Prime. Perhaps this is an explanatory factor...

NeoteriX

Jan 28, 2008
DDR2 is more than enough to run a browser, right?
Well, that's not exactly the right question to be asking.

What is evident is that there is some optimization issue, either with ICS, the Tegra 3, disk I/O, something that is resulting in performance problems.

The issue may be strictly software, in which case, we just have to await a new update. However, if the issue is hardware or both software/hardware, the only question is whether the DDR3 provides enough of a performance improvement to overcome whatever is holding back the Transformer Prime's performance.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
The TF300 happens to have DDR3 RAM which is an upgrade over the DDR2 on the Prime. Perhaps this is an explanatory factor...

I'm not so sure this has anything to do with it but the acer 510 I believe is DDR2 and according to Lisa that doesnt have any bog down issue or browser lockup/freezing.

Reactions: NeoteriX

Mcoupe

Jan 16, 2011

To begin using it just install the app and reboot. To stop using it I recommend rebooting before and after uninstalling to avoid data loss.

View Source: https ://github.com/jp-beaumont/Browser2Ram (damn new user no-links limit)

Notes:
  1. Requires root.

Mr. Onion,

Thanks for being so damn smart and putting in the time and effort! I am sure I am not alone saying this, but I really envy the ability to be able to write "stuff".....;)

Please continue to support our forum. Its nice to see some one stop complaining and put their talents to good use. We need more like ya....

Thanks!!! :D

Feb 8, 2012
That worked fantastic! The browsers on my TP are not acting like my 2005 era laptop! Thank you, TheOnionKnight. Very fast. I haven't been able to test for waits yet but its noticeably fast.

I guess I should have thought about this before installing, but is there any possibility this could interfere with a future OTA? I don't see an uninstall for the app so my next assumption is it would be a manual process to revert?

Your welcome. Shouldn't interfere with OTA's in any way as it doesn't modify the system partition. There should be an uninstall option in Settings -> Apps -> All -> Browser2Ram. As I said in the original post, I recommend rebooting before and after uninstalling to avoid data loss. Technically, uninstalling in this way leaves behind a small amount of "garbage" (a folder in /data/local) as Android doesn't allow apps to run cleanup code on uninstall (for security reasons). In practice it's probably close enough to a complete uninstall as makes no difference.

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
Dang it had the issue again with the mod. Although it took a while for me to get it again so I'm not complaining.

d1ac6b62-8e1a-3ede.jpg

aznmode

Jun 23, 2007
I think this is more than just a browser issue.

1817cb17-ad39-e65f.jpg

RubenRybnik

Jan 6, 2012
Cary, NC

Notes:
  1. Requires root.

Wow ... seems to be working pretty well here :) Getting the "Wait / Kill" dialog here and there, but you just click wait and it works just fine. Only happens once in awhile and not to all sites, so it's not too big of a deal. Buy wow... big speed improvement imo.

justmart

Mar 9, 2008
Carolina, PR
Wow ... seems to be working pretty well here :) Getting the "Wait / Kill" dialog here and there, but you just click wait and it works just fine. Only happens once in awhile and not to all sites, so it's not too big of a deal. Buy wow... big speed improvement imo.

I think the idea is to do NOT get tbe message at all... I'm not root so I cannot do the mod... I get the meesages a couple of times...and every time you just click wait and that's it. Back to normal

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

To begin using it just install the app, open it, and then reboot. If after rebooting you do not receive a superuser access request then installation was unsuccessful. To stop using it I recommend rebooting before and after uninstalling to avoid data loss.

View Source: https://github.com/jp-beaumont/Browser2Ram
    Download Apk: http://db.tt/PAHet657 (or see attachment)

Notes:
    1. Requires root.

Update (26/04/2012): Due to some details of how androids broadcast system works there was a bug in the previous version which wasn't caught in my initial testing. This bug prevented the fix from applying automatically on boot. A new version has been uploaded in it's place. If you installed the old version then you need to install the new version, open it, and then reboot. Upon rebooting you should receive a superuser request. If you do not receive this request after the first reboot installation was unsuccessful.

Update (24/05/2012): New version with reduced memory usage and smarter sync behaviour. To update simply download and install the new version, electing to replace the old version when asked, then reboot.
    Thread started to hopefully draw Asus' attention to one of the most annoying issues on the Prime, the "Browser not responding" error that seems to occur on almost any browser. I have turned flash to "on demand" which has helped a bit, but honestly, getting this message every 5-10 minutes is really annoying.

Sign on if you have this issue on your $500 Asus transformer prime too.:mad:
    I mean really, even if one were given access to a beta test build of some new firmware, after buying the device with their own finances, why should any of us have to troubleshoot and solve known issues and waste more of our time and energy, (finances-= time plus energy ), to finally arrive at the product we paid for in the first place? I mean somehow, why should I or anyone else be pimped by ASUS has if we are their little hoe, doing favors for them to help them make money that should rightfully be our own? They have not offered any concessions for solving their problems and you can bet that the people working on it at their company are receiving compensation.

Really, there are a lot of developers and intuitive people here who are inadvertently working for ASUS. This is not a bad situation when they also give us what we need to help them. It seems to me at this point to be rather one sided, the users and community are the only ones making progress and then ASUS will implement and capitalize on their hard work with just a halfhearted, "thank you." I believe it may be better for those who are developing fixes to keep them to themselves and hostage them to Asus and at least receive something for their time. IMO, as always but sheesh, I don't like being treated and used like a whore. :eek:

...is this your first pony show?

So far Asus has:

- updated to ICS about 3 weeks after the release of the prime, like they said they would.

- gave us a bootloader unlocking tool when they didn't have to.

- put out numerous timely updates in relation to other android manufacturers.

- put two customer service reps in a forum that's not officially theirs when they didn't have to.

- taken back primes for full refunds in some parts of europe.

- manufactured gps dongles and handed them out for free for customers that requested them.

Are they perfect? No not at all. Their RMA centers are horrible. But they're doing things that are far outside the scope of anything that could be done by any member of this forum to address issues with their product. And the people that contribute to fix the issues with their prime do it out of love, not because they're being "whored out by ASUS" as you so eloquently stated.

I know it seems like the Android world revolves around XDA, but the truth XDA makes up a niche of customers that love tinkering with their products. To imply that Asus somehow has employees here to harvest "fixes and patches" for their issues because their team of engineers can't figure it out for themselves and need the help of the rascally band of xda developers to save the Prime is a premise to a bad Disney movie at best.
    I don't want to go back and forth on this. I'm not sure if you've only owned Nexus phones or if this is your first Android product but that's the name of the game. If you want to talk about leaving customers in the dust and letting them fend for themselves, try being a Samsung Vibrant owner who didn't even get Gingerbread when it came out less then a year after the Vibrant came out. And GPS dongle to fix that phone's GPS issues? LOL. The Vibrant had a plastic backplate and the GPS was STILL abysmal. We didn't get any official fixes. We didn't get and dongles. We didn't get anybody from Samsung officially supporting us. The small XDA vibrant community threw that phone on their backs and helped turn if from a POS phone to something spectacular after it was all said and done. Do you think they felt "used by Samsung?" No, they did it out of love for the phone.

I'm not going point-by-point but to reiterate:

Asus doesn't owe us ****.

The GPS feature was taken out of their website the week of launch. For all intents and purposes, the only people that should have felt entitled to the GPS are the people that bought their tablets on the first week. Or they could have said "hey we released these GPS fixes. Not working for you? Oh well." But they didn't. I don't think you understand the cost of manufacturing GPS dongles vs software fixes. Whenever you manufacture anything, even screws, you're taking a hit. Although I don't care about the dongle and it's super-ugly, it is a huge deal .

"Well Acer did this and so Asus had to do it too" has nothing to do with entitlement for an unlocked bootloader. Please refer to point 1. There's nothing in the specs that says your $500 purchase gets you an unlocked bootloader. You knew that before you bought the Prime.

The media assault, XDA *****ing and "class action lawsuits" are maginified by your views as a power user and a XDA fan.

You could make a fair argument that Asus is feeling pressure from Apple's customer service because the ipads are destroying the tablet market, and if I buy an ipad I have a guarantee that if anything happens to it or I just don't like it I can just drive to the Apple store and get a replacement or a refund.

But again, I can't stress this enough: the majority of users that have purchased the transformer prime will never have heard of xda. They will never root their tablets. They will never flash a rom.

These "class-action lawsuits" you keep referring to get brought up any time there's a launch on a new product. You don't think there was a class-action lawsuit against Apple when antennagate came out? How many of those were successful? What was Apple's response? A 10 cent rubber bumper? These lawsuits are just a bunch of whiny customers that feel like the product didn't live up to their expectations and want to ***** about it through financial means. Unless a product is hazardous to the customers health and they have to recall it, companies aren't phased by these "lawsuits."

Lastly, I want to correct myself about the two Asus employees on the forum. As far as I understand it, Gary cleared it up with his last post: he came here on his own accord initially and volunteered to help with any issues that came from the Prime. Asus didn't send him here. My guess is he then petitioned Asus to put someone on here full time, hence ASUS_USA.

So again, the theory that Asus initially put someone here because they were pressured by bad press, class action lawsuits and XDA *****ing is just plain wrong.

1. The GPS feature was not taken out of Prime specification the 1st week after launch. It actually took 2 to 4 weeks for all that to happen (much longer on retail store websites & actual BOX of Prime). I bought mine at launch, so.. yes & I did purchase Prime to use GPS.

Yes, I understand it cost more to create a dongle over s/w fix. Except, since this is h/w issue, s/w fix doesn't even come to play. Asus advertised it & ppl like me bought it to USE IT. So yes, I & others who were looking forward to using the feature actually paid for it (just like all of you).

Also, about the unlock bootloader. Yes, Asus didn't say anything about unlock bootloader in Prime's specification. However, the company has made PR statements to SUPPORT OPEN COMMUNITY & in their device. So, Asus actually set themselves up...... unless you are okay with going back on their words constantly.

2. Just because Android devices from different manufacturers who had issues & simply ignored the issue doesn't mean I have to follow that standard. If I bought those devices with issues, I would have *****ed exactly the same way. Why set my standards low? And yes, this includes APPLE .. and iPhone 4 with antenna gate. Remember, even after Apple did issue extra case or whatever, they still got sued with class-action lawsuit and LOST.

Btw, there are also Android devices that didn't have all the crazy issues that Prime is facing, or the absolutely pathetic customer service.

3. Yes, avg. user doesn't follow XDA. However, I don't get your point. Just because avg. user doesn't follow XDA, that gives an excuse for Asus to simply ignore it?? Sure, it benefits & it makes more sense financially for Asus but that doesn't excuse Asus to ignore it nor do we have to accept it.

4. I have no idea how you got that perspective from Gary Key's last post, but that is your perspective so I won't say anything to that.

Edit: Btw, many of you are posting in a complaint/issue thread telling us that... "no, issues don't exist or just deal with it" kinda thing. I don't get it..... I don't go to positive thread & try to change your perspective... If you have a working device & are enjoying your experience with Prime... I REALLY AM GLAD FOR YOU.
    I believe I have a somewhat hackish and temporary solution to the frequent ANR's with the stock browser. The downside is that if the prime reboots then all changes to the browser state are lost (history, created bookmarks, saved passwords, changed settings, etc).

As with some others, I believe this problem is being caused by poor random write performance on the internal storage. The fix works by placing all of the browser data on a tmpfs filesystem. A tmpfs filesystem is one in which all data is stored in ram. This makes all reads/writes extremely fast at the cost that the data is lost on shutdown/reboot. I've been using this fix for over two weeks now and haven't had any browser related ANR's in that time. Previously I was encountering multiple ANR's per day (at least 3-5).

Applying the fix requires root access. To try it first ensure the browser is stopped by going to Settings -> Apps -> All -> Browser and pressing Force Stop then open Terminal Emulator or adb shell and run the following as root:

Code:
    mkdir -p /data/local/browser
    mount -t tmpfs browser /data/local/browser
    chown "$(stat %u.%g /data/data/com.android.browser)" /data/local/browser
    chmod "$(stat %a /data/data/com.android.browser)" /data/local/browser
    cp -ra /data/data/com.android.browser/* /data/local/browser
    mount -o bind /data/local/browser /data/data/com.android.browser

That's it. All browser data should now be stored in ram. On reboot/shutdown everything will revert to the pre-fix state (including browser history/bookmarks/settings/etc). To continue using the change after reboot/shutdown requires it be reapplied.

Disclaimer: If you try this make sure you know what you're doing first. I'm not responsible if something breaks.