Or Continue to Thread: Kernel issue - Bricked By a St…
Find Your Device:
26th April 2012, 11:24 PM   |  #28  
Senior Recognized Developer
Flag Owego, NY
Thanks Meter: 24,821

13,533 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by letters_to_cleo

don't lower your hopes down, I've seen countless and numerous times of Bricked Notes being revived and restored thru JTAG. This process is the much low level process you can get of restoring your Note into it's normal process. I don't see why your Note can't be restored if it's done thru JTAG.

(Not unless you have a broken ICs or chipsets already, which contitutes a hardware failure and that's the time you may have to replace it.)

JTAG is trusted already and proven to restore almost all bricked Notes.

Just from my own experiences..

Cheers

However, there's mounting evidence that kernels from the following category can cause permanent damage to the eMMC chip, in a manner that JTAG recovery is not possible:
All Epic 4G Touch (SPH-D710) ICS leaks
All GT-N7000 ICS leaks
SGH-I777 UCLD3 ICS leak (likely all ICS leaks)
SHW-M250S/L/K official releases along with anything built from the source code for those releases
SiyahKernel 3.1rc6 for I9100 is in this category due to being built from SHW-M250L update4 sources - all other SiyahKernel releases should be fine.

Right now the suspicion is that it is due to Samsung enabling MMC_CAP_ERASE in the MMC driver for these kernels and the eMMC chip or Exynos hardware having some sort of flaw related to handling MMC ERASE commands (a performance feature that allows the wear leveler to erase a block in advance and flag it as such, rather than erase-before-write when writing), however this is not yet confirmed. The most likely situations that will cause damage are ones that involve a heavy MMC ERASE workload:
CWM wipes and Nandroid restores (which wipe first) - confirmed
Wipes in 3e recovery - suspected
Deletion of any large file during normal operation may also cause this to happen - suspected but not confirmed

Kernels that so far do not appear to be affected:
GT-I9100 ICS leaks
GT-I9100 ICS official releases
Anything built off of the GT-I9100 update4 source code release
Last edited by Entropy512; 26th April 2012 at 11:27 PM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Entropy512 For This Useful Post: [ View ]