[Q] Exchange email stops working

Search This thread

mac_es

May 20, 2008
At least, in my case:

4.0.3 LP7 FOP (official)
Exchange 2003 Spanish (SSL)

Whith GB 2.3.4 (official) no issues.

It fails (connection error), narrowed to a message whith special character (spanish one) in the subject line:

These are the emaillog lines:

Code:
[8:22:58] __eas(XXXXXX)<475>| runAccountMailbox(): FolderSync command http response code:200
[8:22:58] Exception| Stack trace follows...
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at com.android.emailcommon.provider.EmailContent$[COLOR="Red"]Message.splitInsert(EmailContent.java:2173[/COLOR])
	at com.android.exchange.adapter.EmailSyncAdapter$EasEmailSyncParser.subCommit(EmailSyncAdapter.java:2127)
	at com.android.exchange.adapter.EmailSyncAdapter$EasEmailSyncParser.commandsParser(EmailSyncAdapter.java:2074)
	at com.android.exchange.adapter.AbstractSyncParser.parse(AbstractSyncParser.java:273)
	at com.android.exchange.adapter.EmailSyncAdapter.parse(EmailSyncAdapter.java:382)
	at com.android.exchange.EasSyncService.sync(EasSyncService.java:9240)
	at com.android.exchange.EasSyncService.run(EasSyncService.java:9793)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:856)
[8:22:58] FileLogger| Exception writing log; recreating...
[8:22:58] Bandeja de entrada(XXXXXX)<474>| Sync finished

Gone to the OWA interface, find some spam whith the character 'é' in the subject. I delete them, and all is working again.

It is not supposed to be all utf-8 in the xml of the activesync? So there should no be problems at all...:confused:

pitum

Apr 25, 2012
But this problem it's only with new ICS and exchange 2003... I'm System Adm and I can change anything on exchange server... but why? Always worked fine... so it's a problem of firmware... :S

mac_es

May 20, 2008
But this problem it's only with new ICS and exchange 2003... I'm System Adm and I can change anything on exchange server... but why? Always worked fine... so it's a problem of firmware... :S

Yeah! I know.... and if you search for the null pointer in google bugs you will see that the code piece is in Samsung's code. They should use try/catch in their java code so if a email can't be synced it should go for the next one, and mark the offending one. (As iphone does)

Though, the change suggested in the ms's kb is to be in the safe side. It shouldn't interfere anything. It only deals whith borderline mails, which use 2 charsets utf-8 + iso-8859-1 (typically) This in outlook was addresed in a hotfix...

I have maded the changes and so far so good... at least in my case :p

pitum

Apr 25, 2012
Hi,
I disabled automatica Sync in account, and all account auto-sync like charm! :p
It's a bug... but all accounts working good (6 accounts) wifi-mode

vallettacity

Apr 28, 2012
Problem Cause (one of them anyway) and Workaround

I haven’t checked this thread for a couple of days and had found a workaround solution, only to come back to post it and find someone has posted a different cause. So there is more than one cause of the problem – I had not experienced the problem as posted by mac_es, but suspect that my version of it is related in some way. The offending messages are Read Receipts, Delivery Receipts and similar messages, which could also have encoding issues, but so far in my case they haven’t. I haven't got the skills to work it out but probably one of you (mac_es?) does.

I had been reading this thread with a mixture of dread and anticipation whilst awaiting ICS availability over KIES. There are a number of us at the office with S2’s and one of us had already reported the problem, with no solution in sight. He subsequently left the company and we no longer had a guinea pig :)

Another one of us updated to ICS, and started having problems immediately. Then we found out that another colleague had updated a few days before and was having no problems at all, a fact he neglected to mention. We checked his firmware version and it was identical to the problem phone. This gave me the hope that there was a solution or permutation of settings that worked, so when KIES offered me the upgrade, I accepted it – it sure enough, I got the problem. We are all running XWLP7 / XXLPS.

To be clear, I am talking about the connection error problem, and so far I can only vouch for Exchange 2003, because that’s what we’ve got.

So, again, to be clear, the problem is this:

After a while, irrespective of email size, checking frequency, client settings etc, eventually mail stops coming in. If you hit manual refresh, it will give you one or both of the following messages

Last updated 28/04/2012 16:50 and Connection Error (name of account)

If you keep hitting refresh, it will keep giving you the messages, but if you inspect the time in the first message, you will see that it is not changing. If you connect to your exchange account via webmail you will notice that there are more recent messages in your inbox than the time it is showing as ‘Last Updated’ on your phone. The stop / start nature of the problem had led me to suspect it might be a particular type of message that was causing the problem, and sure enough, that’s what it turned out to be. Yes, it’s as simple as that.

The messages in question are Read Receipts, Delivery Receipts and similar messages. Once there is one of those in your inbox, you’re stuck until you delete it. I’m not sure whether it’s one or all of them, whether it’s limited to those generated by Exchange (my main suspect, all Exchange versions) or a specific version of Exchange. But the fact is that the account of the working phone above was set to not request receipts, whilst mine and the other problematic phones were set to request them. There’s a simple enough solution assuming you don’t need the receipts, which is to turn them off, but you might still get caught out by a non-delivery message.

A better solution which has worked for me is to create a folder for your receipts. Then, on your PC, create a rule to move the receipts to the folder on arrival. This will obviously also work when your PC is off, as the rules are stored and executed on the server. You will have to create a rule which processes emails on arrival, matches a series of strings in either subject or body of the message and moves them to the folder. Obviously depending on the languages and mail server systems of the people you communicate with you will have to vary the list, but I am working fine with the attached. From time to time you will find a receipt in your PC inbox which gets through your rule - all you need to do is inspect the message and update your rule accordingly.

The best solution, assuming the problem is the same and your Exchange Admin is willing to do so, could be to apply the fix to exchange referenced above, but I'm not sure the problem messages we had actually had encoding problems.

Anyway, in case of doubt, please note that I can replicate the problem at will. Having set up the rules, I have a folder which has receipts in it which I clear out periodically. Well, if I try to synchronise that folder to my phone, the problem comes back again, but the moment I switch back to my inbox, away it goes again. So, bottom line is, if you set this up – switching to a folder with receipts in it will give you problems, but otherwise you can work fine.

I’ve been working fine since Friday morning, having upgraded on Thursday afternoon, and have sent a mail shot to around 500 customers. That's a ton of delivery receipts, read receipts and out of office messages. The other colleague with the problem has also implemented the rule and is still ok.

You could presumably also create a rule for the character issue mentioned by mac_es.

Attachments

• screen1.jpg
    screen1.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 409
  • screen2.jpg
    screen2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 310
Last edited:

TJAus

Apr 30, 2012
We are all running XWLP7 / XXLPS.

To be clear, I am talking about the connection error problem, and so far I can only vouch for Exchange 2003, because that’s what we’ve got.

The messages in question are Read Receipts, Delivery Receipts and similar messages.

Hello,

I created an account to reply to this post especially as I've also been watching this thread with interest. Long time reader, first time poster.

I have an Australian Optus SGS2 now running IML74K.XWLP8 which up until I updated to 4.0.3 was working fine with Exchange 2003 Active-sync for my email needs.

Since this update to 4.0.3, my phone is now useless for work and I'm forced to carry around a Blackberry just for work emails as it throws an error no matter what I've tried.

I don't have anything with read receipts or anything of that nature as you suggest, infact I exmerged the entire mailbox out completely and still have issues. I initially got a burst of messages after deleting and setting up the connection info on my phone again but that's it, nothing more.

We were about to start advising staff to get a SGS2 as a work phone but this alone has killed this idea off completely unfortunately. I really appreciate what you guys here are trying and advising and hope to resolve this soon so I can throw the blackberry back in the drawer were it belongs.

Reactions: pvdruten

mac_es

May 20, 2008
@vallettacity

Look here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/812806/en maybe it helps...

Also if you got mail whith 7bit encoding you should look at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/885419/en I would use a value of '5'

@TJAus

Yeah! it is a pity. It is a really a bug, if you download to a pst the offending mail and reupload it to the mailbox it works...

hopping for an OTA upgrade or the email.apk...
So basically, at least in my case and in the vallettacity's, there is an issue inserting a mail in the phone's database. And instead of marking it as ???? or unknown message, whatever it says connection error. And stops receiving new mail.... At least iphones, marked them as error message but it keeps pushing alive.

Reactions: pvdruten

triumph61

Feb 3, 2012
My S2 runs with ICS O2 de since one Week. No Problems with MAils.
At Friday i get an mail invitation to Exchange Calender.
After that Mail the sync stopps with "connection error".
I delete the invitation Mail, after deleting the sync is working again...

So the next Test today. I also get this morning a Mail Date. (Sorry for my english)
After that, the Mails Snyc stopps. "Connection Error".
When i delete the Mail the snyc is also working again.

Can someone test his Mailaccount for Mails Invitions and delete them?

vallettacity

Apr 28, 2012
@mac_es Thanks for your response. Our exchange administrator is not convinced you and I have the same problem and is rightly concerned that since the patch you recommended is out-of-cycle there might be other repercussions. So far I'm still working fine with the rule so I'll see if that continues OK.

@Triumph61 You are correct. That problem also exists. It only occurs with the blank 'accept' and 'tentative' messages, but not with 'propose new time' or 'decline'. Also, 'accept' or 'tentative' messages where the user sending the message has typed something in the message are fine. There is a setting you can activate which will act as a workaround. In Outlook (2007), go to tools/options/email options/tracking options/ and tick 'Delete blank voting and meeting responses after processing'. This should handle the problem, assuming it is a server based setting, otherwise you will also need to make a rule. it had not been a problem for me because (a) I had already activated the setting and (b) I don't think I've yet received a meeting response whilst outlook was closed so I don't know for sure whether its server based or not.

@TJAus - you could be having a combination of all issues mentioned by myself, Triumph61 and Mac_es - I find that its best to start testing with a clean inbox on both the phone and the server.

drberndross

Apr 30, 2012
Hi,

alfter vasting lot´s of ours by trying to get my exchange sync with 4.0.3 german and exchange 2003 working again, i tryed " touchdown for smartphones" as a 30 days trial : everthing works perfect and i did not even had to root my phone!
If Samsung will not be able to solve the problem within these 30 days ( what should cause them to feel ashamed !), i will pay the 15,21 € to buy the program.

Maybe it help´s somebody

P.S : because 4.0.3 dosn´t support rSAP Bluetouth profile and my car didn´nt accept the phone, i flasht back to 2.3.6. What a mess: all this vastet time.....
now there are no more problems anymore ! samsung should realy be ashamed of all this !

Last edited:

triumph61

Feb 3, 2012
We use Ex 2003.
The error only appers when s.o. sends from a ext. Exchange the Invitation or the accept.

When i delete the message, the snyc works again.

T__

Mar 21, 2012
Ireland
Apparently it is going be resolved. But we can only wait and see. Emails to and from Samsung confirmed that they acknowledge it is a issue.

Any exchange servers before 2010 seem to work for me.

Sent from fridge.

pvdruten

Sep 24, 2006
Nice Work, very scientific approach!!!

Anyway, in case of doubt, please note that I can replicate the problem at will. Having set up the rules, I have a folder which has receipts in it which I clear out periodically. Well, if I try to synchronise that folder to my phone, the problem comes back again, but the moment I switch back to my inbox, away it goes again. So, bottom line is, if you set this up – switching to a folder with receipts in it will give you problems, but otherwise you can work fine.

I like your comment, very good work!!!

But have a look at this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mNlZGVtYWlsIl0.
I tested this APP and it is the best! All my Exchange accounts run perfect!
It is no work around it is a better email app

Seff

Mar 8, 2004
After reading lots of post and trying to resolve issues I believe I have resolved my issues using pop & Exchange accounts.

Try the following:

1. Edit every email account to the lowest retrevial size for emails.
and leave whatever email accounts you have setup as is.
2. Turn your phone off, do not restart.
3. Hold down the home button and press the power on button, keeping the button held down until you are at the full menu screen or pin code for your sim.
4. The if phone doesnt refresh, go to email settings and refresh each individual email account. Mine did automatically.

Hope this helps all the poor suckers out there that have spent hours on their phone trying to resolve issues rather than being the guinea pigs Samsung has made of us!

Good luck & god bless.
Liz

Indeed. I set the size to 100k and it started to work. Will test more.
No. It's not working....

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

The same problem was roaming around my head too... after trying every ICS ROM, I have found one way around.

i'll upload the solution shortly today.

farehmani

Here is the best possible solution, please follow all steps.

1) Download the AOSP Email.apk & Exchanger.apk from this link and unzip the files: https://rapidshare.com/files/3439473550/AOSP_Email_Exchange_4.1.zip

2) Using Titanium Backup, Make a backup and then wipe and uninstall the System apps Email & Exchange Services

3) Using Root Explorer put the recently Downloaded two files in \System\app\

Tada!!!

You'll get the working exchange mails again.

Please press thanks if you get your problem resolved

Farehmani

Sent from my GT-I9100 using xda premium
    Problem Cause (one of them anyway) and Workaround

I haven’t checked this thread for a couple of days and had found a workaround solution, only to come back to post it and find someone has posted a different cause. So there is more than one cause of the problem – I had not experienced the problem as posted by mac_es, but suspect that my version of it is related in some way. The offending messages are Read Receipts, Delivery Receipts and similar messages, which could also have encoding issues, but so far in my case they haven’t. I haven't got the skills to work it out but probably one of you (mac_es?) does.

I had been reading this thread with a mixture of dread and anticipation whilst awaiting ICS availability over KIES. There are a number of us at the office with S2’s and one of us had already reported the problem, with no solution in sight. He subsequently left the company and we no longer had a guinea pig :)

Another one of us updated to ICS, and started having problems immediately. Then we found out that another colleague had updated a few days before and was having no problems at all, a fact he neglected to mention. We checked his firmware version and it was identical to the problem phone. This gave me the hope that there was a solution or permutation of settings that worked, so when KIES offered me the upgrade, I accepted it – it sure enough, I got the problem. We are all running XWLP7 / XXLPS.

So, again, to be clear, the problem is this:

After a while, irrespective of email size, checking frequency, client settings etc, eventually mail stops coming in. If you hit manual refresh, it will give you one or both of the following messages

Last updated 28/04/2012 16:50 and Connection Error (name of account)

If you keep hitting refresh, it will keep giving you the messages, but if you inspect the time in the first message, you will see that it is not changing. If you connect to your exchange account via webmail you will notice that there are more recent messages in your inbox than the time it is showing as ‘Last Updated’ on your phone. The stop / start nature of the problem had led me to suspect it might be a particular type of message that was causing the problem, and sure enough, that’s what it turned out to be. Yes, it’s as simple as that.

The messages in question are Read Receipts, Delivery Receipts and similar messages. Once there is one of those in your inbox, you’re stuck until you delete it. I’m not sure whether it’s one or all of them, whether it’s limited to those generated by Exchange (my main suspect, all Exchange versions) or a specific version of Exchange. But the fact is that the account of the working phone above was set to not request receipts, whilst mine and the other problematic phones were set to request them. There’s a simple enough solution assuming you don’t need the receipts, which is to turn them off, but you might still get caught out by a non-delivery message.

A better solution which has worked for me is to create a folder for your receipts. Then, on your PC, create a rule to move the receipts to the folder on arrival. This will obviously also work when your PC is off, as the rules are stored and executed on the server. You will have to create a rule which processes emails on arrival, matches a series of strings in either subject or body of the message and moves them to the folder. Obviously depending on the languages and mail server systems of the people you communicate with you will have to vary the list, but I am working fine with the attached. From time to time you will find a receipt in your PC inbox which gets through your rule - all you need to do is inspect the message and update your rule accordingly.

The best solution, assuming the problem is the same and your Exchange Admin is willing to do so, could be to apply the fix to exchange referenced above, but I'm not sure the problem messages we had actually had encoding problems.

I’ve been working fine since Friday morning, having upgraded on Thursday afternoon, and have sent a mail shot to around 500 customers. That's a ton of delivery receipts, read receipts and out of office messages. The other colleague with the problem has also implemented the rule and is still ok.

You could presumably also create a rule for the character issue mentioned by mac_es.
    good news: the leaked 4.0.4 firmware (XXLQ5) fixes all my exchange problems i had
    I'm having the exact same issues but for me they seem to be related to Hotmail (and it's Exchange 2003-like EAS protocol. The moment I add m.hotmail.com as an Exchange account, my other corporate and Office365 stop syncing.

The moment I remove the Hotmail account, all other Exchange accounts start working again. Very strange.

You guys added Exchange2003 or Hotmail mailboxes? I found this issue on nearly all SGS2 ICS build.. currently on LPQ.
    Exchange 2010 Problem

I had this problem with an Exchange 2010 account when the email retrieval size was all works just fine on 100kb, no connection errors at all. Although Hotmail seems fine when email retrieval size is all.