ICS test firmware tackling Wi-Fi and HDMI issues

Search This thread

haneya

Aug 3, 2010
Jeddah
Hello,

After I updated to 4.0.6, i have 2 problems:

1. GPS doesn't catch a signal at all no matter how much it keeps searching.

2. I faced sudden reboots happened couple of times, it's better than before.

Thanks.

Reactions: Extreme_One

Extreme_One

May 7, 2012
Southampton
Hello,

After I updated to 4.0.6, i have 2 problems:

1. GPS doesn't catch a signal at all no matter how much it keeps searching.

2. I faced sudden reboots happened couple of times, it's better than before.

Thanks.

Exactly the same issues here.

Come on Archos, I see evidence that you're working on the freezes/reboots; please give the GPS some love too.

bfnf

Mar 31, 2011
Hello,

I've tried every version of the new firmware based on ICS and wirelless in my University still does'nt work properly.
I'm using the last version 4.0.6_TEST3 and when i try to connect to eduroam it only stays connected a few minutes and drop the connection and isn´t able to reconnect. The eduroam uses 802.1x EAP with PEAP and MSCHAPV2.

With this firmware version my freezes count is One, not big deal. It´s much better in this point.

Keep with the good work Archos trying to fix all the bugs

courville

Feb 11, 2010
Here we go again: for those still experiencing issues with Wi-Fi we have a new test firmware that consists in a major upgrade for your evaluation:
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4.0.6-TEST4/firmware_archos_it4.aos
Please note that this firmware also includes i) skype audio fix, ii) SGX performance boost, iii) some more CPU scheduler stability patches.
If this is not the ultimate solution, it would be great to generate logs of the failures by installing/running the following applications after witnessing a problem:
http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/debug/LogExtractor.apk
that will generate a zip of the logs at the root of your tablet and post the result.

Thank you for your help and patience.

Shano56

Oct 21, 2011
Here we go again: for those still experiencing issues with Wi-Fi we have a new test firmware that consists in a major upgrade for your evaluation:
Please note that this firmware also includes i) skype audio fix, ii) SGX performance boost, iii) some more CPU scheduler stability patches.
If this is not the ultimate solution, it would be great to generate logs of the failures by installing/running the following applications after witnessing a problem:
that will generate a zip of the logs at the root of your tablet and post the result.

Thanks for keeping us posted, Mr. Courville. Hopefully these wifi issues will now stop once and for all and people can stop their complaining :)

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Xiaomi Redmi Note 8 (2021)

I guess full wipe is recommended?

Tapatalked from Xperia Arc S

andyleadbetter

Feb 28, 2011
Is the touchscreen driver issue being addressed?

I have a g8 250GB Turbo with a cypress TMA340 touchscreen controller. When ever I hold the table in a flat orientation, with even the slightest pressure anywhere in the middle of the rear of the device the touchscreen stops responding. I built the latest kernel and debugged the problem to the i2c controller stops responding.

Looking at the driver power model, if this happens during a firmware download to the TSP, then the driver ends up in a disabled state requiring a cold reboot. I modified the kernel driver so that the power control left the 5v regulator supply enabled, so at least if the firmware to the touchscreen was downloaded successfully even once, then the touchscreen controller remains active in whats called APP mode, but it would be good to know if this problem is going to be addressed.

I will update to this test4 firmware this evening, and capture a log of the events when this happens, but I would like to know if this is a futile exercise?

Last edited:

cajl

May 5, 2008
near PARIS (94)
jbmm.cajl.info
the number of build change

test-1024x370.png

Extreme_One

May 7, 2012
Southampton

Great to see Archos providing test firmware and actively seeking feedback!

I see no mention of changes to GPS handling.

I presume you have seen reports of total inability to get GPS lock with latest version?

Any news on a fix for this?

Last edited:

theguy

Dec 11, 2006
This is more an annoyance than a bug but I think it's reproducible fairly easier tried the new firmware with a clean wipe and it still exists so.. here it is:

Scrolling the launcher in standard landscape view is reasonably smooth in terms of fps, but it is not fluid. If you rotate the tablet in any of the other 3 ways the scrolling becomes fluid. Once you have rotated it to one of the 3 ways, and then rotate it back to the original way the scrolling stays fluid until you open and close the app drawer where it returns back to how it was (not fluid). So to recap:

Not fluid in landscape.
Fluid in other 3 orientations.
Fluid when orientation changes to another and then back to original.
Not fluid when app drawer has been opened and closed.

As I said this only occurs when the tablet is in one landscape orientation (So that the Archos | 80G9 writing is under the screen. All other orientations it is fluid all the time.

I notice that this occurs with 3rd party launchers too (apex, nova, adw ex) but disabling wallpaper scrolling makes it fluid in all orientations.

Would anyone else like to try this and give me their opinion?

Note : I'm not saying it's very laggy or choppy, but just that it isn't as buttery smooth as when you rotate the tablet another way!

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Shell just rebooted after ~15 minutes of active usage (test4 flashed yesterday evening, device was all night in Hibernation).
Also MTP doesn't work properly- pc drivers are installed correctly, tablet is seen as MTP device but none of memory locations (Internal and SD card) are visible on pc side. Reboot doesn't help.
Logs attached, most likely contain also leftovers from Test3

Attachments

• Log_A101S_4.0.6R_2012-05-23-09h09m10s485ms.zip
    434.5 KB · Views: 11

PeterPan6754

Jul 14, 2007
4.0.6 Test4 FW no more points on "Quadrant Standard" Benchmark with final 4.0.6 FW
i have archos 101 G9 Turbo with 1GB ram.

Last edited:

theguy

Dec 11, 2006
This is more an annoyance than a bug but I think it's reproducible fairly easier tried the new firmware with a clean wipe and it still exists so.. here it is:

Scrolling the launcher in standard landscape view is reasonably smooth in terms of fps, but it is not fluid. If you rotate the tablet in any of the other 3 ways the scrolling becomes fluid. Once you have rotated it to one of the 3 ways, and then rotate it back to the original way the scrolling stays fluid until you open and close the app drawer where it returns back to how it was (not fluid). So to recap:

Not fluid in landscape.
Fluid in other 3 orientations.
Fluid when orientation changes to another and then back to original.
Not fluid when app drawer has been opened and closed.

As I said this only occurs when the tablet is in one landscape orientation (So that the Archos | 80G9 writing is under the screen. All other orientations it is fluid all the time.

I notice that this occurs with 3rd party launchers too (apex, nova, adw ex) but disabling wallpaper scrolling makes it fluid in all orientations.

Would anyone else like to try this and give me their opinion?

Note : I'm not saying it's very laggy or choppy, but just that it isn't as buttery smooth as when you rotate the tablet another way!

Update on this: it seems this issue occurs in all 4.0.6 firmwares (test included) but does not occur in 4.0.5. firmware.

Would it be possible to look into this courville?

gen_scheisskopf

Feb 22, 2009
Poznań
Update on this: it seems this issue occurs in all 4.0.6 firmwares (test included) but does not occur in 4.0.5. firmware.

Would it be possible to look into this courville?

I have noticed the same behaviour. A fix would be most welcome.

It seems that 4.0.6 has problems with memory management.
I understand (and this is completely normal) that 512MB model has only ~200MB free ram after boot. But running any resource heavy app- like Firefox (both official and Aurora) or some games (but not all- some take care of freeing memory by themselves when exited)- drops free ram under 80 or sometimes under 50 MB and not always memory is reclaimed after stopping the app in Settings->Apps->Running.

And BTW could you add to Recovery
-confirmations for all format/wipe operations
-wiping dalvik-cache
please? :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please check the following firmware and report in this thread if it solves your Wi-Fi or HDMI issues.

http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4.0.4-TEST/firmware_archos_it4.aos

There might be still some audio out problems with HDMI with OMAP4430 ES2.2 based platforms (check in settings->about tablet->OMAP version): we are still working on it and will come up with a solution shortly.

Thank you for your help/feedback and patience.

All: thank you very much for your testing and reports.
    I see that we are making progress but there are still some issues left.
    We have a new firmware ready for you to test including some Wi-Fi changes:
    http://update.archos.com/9/gen9/gen9_4.0.5-TEST/firmware_archos_it4.aos
    Thank you for your help/feedback and patience.
    Please note that the final 4.0.6 firmware has been released. It contains one more Wi-Fi fix that will hopefully solves more disconnection problems faced with some access points. Please share your experience with this new firmware if 4.0.6-TEST2 was not working for you. Thank you for your help and patience.
    All: official 4.0.5 is out. It contains some minor additional fixes but nothing new on the Wi-Fi front compared to the test firmware.
    For the fritzbox and speedsport owners (Atheros based AP): we are working on the issue with our Wi-Fi chipset provider, we have over the air captures of the issue. Please stay tuned.