[NTG][1.2]GlowNooter 1.12.25

Search This thread

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
    • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
    • Installs adbWireless
    • Installs Button Savior
    • Installs Amazon Marketplace
    • Installs su and Superuser.apk
    • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
    • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
    • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
    • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
  • System Files that get Modified:
    • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
    • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
    • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
  • Changes:
    • May 26, 2012 - Initial Release
  • Before you begin:
    1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch Glow
    2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
    3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
    4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
    5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
    1. Download CWM from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806435&d=1323121399
    2. Download TouchNooter from here: glownooter-1-12-25.zip - Uploaded
    3. Download eded333's beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END from here: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
    4. Unzip CWM and you'll find an image file you will then need to write this to an SD Card.
    5. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=cwmimagename.img of=/dev/sdcard
    6. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
    7. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

8. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
    9. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
    10. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
      • Install from zip
      • Choose zip from sdcard
      • glownooter-1-5-26.zip
      • Click Yes and let Complete
      • Remove SD Card and press Power Button to go back one to main menu
      • Click Reboot
    11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
    12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
    13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
    14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
    15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
    16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
    17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
    18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
    19. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
    20. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
    21. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
      • User "n" to select, Left Buttons to go up in the menu, Right Buttons to go down in the menu, Power Button to go back.
      • Install from zip
      • Choose zip from sdcard
      • beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
      • Click Reboot
    22. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
      • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

23. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
    24. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
    25. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
    • mali100 - For porting CWM to Nook Simple Touch
    • eded333 - The second zip to fix Market Issues.
    • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
  • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: Raspberry Pi Triple Boot System

Last edited:

godfish

Mar 5, 2009
It works.

You couldn't have made me day any happier, Your hard work has given me a small tablet that I will use at work for keeping notes and recalling info. :cool: I'll be Joe cool with the info.

Thank you for all your hard work, I'll look in my couch and find something to donate. :eek:

nrseife

Jun 16, 2010
Anyone experiencing problems accessing settings/screen to change the screesaver Folder?

Sent from my NOOK using xda premium

glowco

Oct 8, 2010
NJ
I have previously rooted using Roustabout's tinynoot. If I decide to do this Nooter, would I have to restore to stock first? (Haven't decided yet, pretty happy as is, but would like to know the options.)

Thanks,

victorhooi

Jun 3, 2010
Hi,

Hmm, awesome =), just installed this on my Nook STR Glow.

Two questions

1. What's the best way to get Market searching enabled?

I've heard of installing SearchMarket - however, how do you do that? Do you just find the APK and install it manually?

2. Is it possible to install the Multitouch and NoRefresh patch from here?

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1568560

Or is the Glowlight version different enough that these won't work?

Cheers,
Victor

xanadu1979

Aug 9, 2007
New Orleans, LA
Anybody have trouble with getting the Opera Mini that comes with this to work? It doesn't even open for me. I installed Dolphin Mini and it seems to work ok but I'd like to get Opera working.

PDAras

May 13, 2010
Multi-language root

This is great!

Is there a way to add menus and/or keyboard with another language?

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
@glowco: I'm looking at GD's scripts and the tinynoot scripts right now.

It looks as if I used the same binary (despite the different name) for the
/system/app/Superuser piece (the file sizes and mod dates are identical.)

I used a different release of busybox, though. So the busybox my script installed would be overwritten by the glownoot busybox.

My advice is that if you want to get the google apps working, restore from a nonrooted backup and use this tool. I'm very likely to ignore my advice on my own device and see what happens, but today's not likely the day that's going to happen.

The line in glownooter that does the copy-in is:

package_extract_dir("system/xbin/", "/system/xbin/");

Unless the package_extract_dir command wipes a directory before copying in the file, you'd overwrite busybox at that step but leave the links to it. The links would probably continue to work but if there's an important difference between the two busyboxes, you might find it made trouble in a weird, random way long after you'd forgotten that you'd overlaid one root with another.

The busybox updater/manager might alleviate that issue - not sure what Ed's or GD's take on overlaying one root with another is.

Last edited:
Reactions: glowco

glowco

Oct 8, 2010
NJ
Roustabout, thanks for your reply. I'm not rushing into anything, so if you do decide to try installing this over yours, let us know the results. (I tend to like the easier approach if it works okay.) :)

glowco

Oct 8, 2010
NJ
Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.

Aurtach

Feb 19, 2009
Masan, South Korea
I just did this and it works great. The only problem I have noticed is that when I am in gtalk and trying to chat I only see the top two rows of keys. Is anyone else getting this or know how to fix it?

albertorrent

Aug 28, 2007
Hi,

before to try rooting the nstglowlight, is it possible to make backup with noogie like the normal NST ?

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Yes, you can and should boot from a noogie disk and make a whole-device backup before changing things up, just like with the NST.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Assuming that tinynoot used MinimalNooter as a basis for it's design (as is evident by the forum convo) then GlowNooter will run perfectly fine without any issues, however keep in mind that because the package names for files in GlowNooter in /data/app are likely to be different than those in tinynoot you'll end up with multiple copies of things like Amazon market, which doesn't actually affect performance, but can take up more space. So you have two options, the first is to do a fresh install onto a fresh NTG, or you can install this on top of tinynoot and go in and remove the excess files using Super Manager.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
I just did this and it works great. The only problem I have noticed is that when I am in gtalk and trying to chat I only see the top two rows of keys. Is anyone else getting this or know how to fix it?

Using an alternative keyboard could fix it, the major issue is finding an alternative keyboard that is e-ink friendly. This tends to be broken in the app itself, because I have noticed the Google Voice app will do the same exact thing on nook devices.

GabrialDestruir

Nov 12, 2009
California
Maybe I should take this opportunity to ask an additional question: what will this root let me do that tinynoot didn't, other than run the Market? What additional apps would it allow me to run that would actually run well?

One app I have partially working on tinynoot is Jabiru, a jabber chat client. The basic chat connection works, but the Conference function crashes the session. I doubt this other root would make a difference in something like that?

Thanks.
The difference between this and tinynoot IS the fact it has Market on it, you can actually go to google.com/play now and install apps to the device. Other than that there is no major difference.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Yeah, folks should understand what tinynoot grew out of: I wanted the smallest set of changes I could make to have a rooted NST usable by me. I almost didn't include the Amazon appstore, but then realized there were things I wanted from it and that it'd be more helpful to others if there was at least something :)

That's very bare-bones, because I don't use the NST for too much other than reading - I want an rss reader, a non-BN book reader and my contacts (via b-folders, rather than a google account,) and at that point I'm pretty much done. I often install what I want to a fresh device just using adb or pm from a commandline

Gabrial's trying to get the Google market working because so many folks really want it.

Also, I tested tinynoot against an NST last night and was able to root that using it, which is helpful to me.

That said, here are the files tinynoot copies in; it sounds as if the two rooting tools are compatible, which is helpful.

in system:

/system/xbin/busybox
/system/bin/su
/system/app/NookColorTools.apk
/system/app/com.noshufou.android.su.apk

and in /data/app:

ADW.Launcher_v1.3.6_Standalone.apk
Amazon_Appstore-2.1.0.apk
BusyBox_v7.3.apk
Button_Savior_v1.3.1.apk
NookTouchTools_v1.0-beta2.apk
Super_Manager_v2.6.0.apk
adbWireless_v1.4.1.apk

and that's that.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This Nooter is officially supported by The Nooter Project for Nook Simple Touch

I'm not adding certain things because I don't believe they should be available as part of a rooting kit designed to give users more control of their devices. Things such as additional readers or CPU Clocks are up to the user to install themselves and needlessly putting them in Nooter creates app bloat that a user may or may not want. You can always drop Apps you want into \nooter\data\app and they will install automatically when you root the device. This Nooter is designed with the sole purpose of opening up the possibilities of the device by giving users Root, Google Apps, and other Apps which make the device more usable as an android device than just an e-reader.

• What it does:
      • Enables ADB via uRamdisk
      • Installs adbWireless
      • Installs Button Savior
      • Installs Amazon Marketplace
      • Installs su and Superuser.apk
      • Installs ADW + E-ink Friendly Theme
      • Installs Busybox & Busybox Installer/Uninstaller
      • Installs Gapps (Gmail, Market, Youtube, Others)
      • Installs NookColor Tools (To Enable Non-Market Installs)
    • System Files that get Modified:
      • /system/build.prop - Enabling Google Check In
      • packages.xml - Allows Gapps to install properly.
      • framework.jar - Should allow a proper Android ID to generate.
    • Changes:
      • May 26, 2012 - Initial Release
    • Before you begin:
      1. You must already have a registered Nook Simple Touch Glow
      2. You must have a Gmail/Youtube linked Account. IF you used a Gmail account for B&N Registration you should use that one for this process.
      3. You must either have dd (Linux) or WinImage (Windows) software.
      4. You must have an external microSDCard reader or this will not work. Using the Nook Simple Touch can result in it becoming unusable (bricked).
      5. You must have enough intelligence to follow instructions.

• Let's get started:
      1. Download CWM from here: http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=806435&d=1323121399
      2. Download TouchNooter from here: glownooter-1-12-25.zip - Uploaded
      3. Download eded333's beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END from here: http://nooter.googlecode.com/files/beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
      4. Unzip CWM and you'll find an image file you will then need to write this to an SD Card.
      5. Linux: Unzip and use dd if=cwmimagename.img of=/dev/sdcard
      6. Windows: Unzip and use WinImage to "Restore Virtual Hard Disk Image" to your SDcard.
      7. Windows Alternative: https://launchpad.net/win32-image-writer/+download

8. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      9. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      10. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • glownooter-1-5-26.zip
        • Click Reboot
      11. Upon boot unlock your screen.
      12. At the Android Welcome Screen skip Sign In.
      13. Enable Location Services when given the option.
      14. Connect to Wifi and launch Youtube from ADW's App Drawer (Or the App Drawer of your Choice).
      15. Click the Menu button (The right one in the middle of the status bar).
      16. Select "My Channel" and Login using your Gmail Account.
      17. Exit Youtube and Launch Gmail from ADW's App Drawer.
      18. Sync your Gmail Account and Exit. (If it fails to sync that is fine.)
      19. Power off your Nook Simple Touch.
      20. Insert TouchNooter SDcard into your Nook Simple Touch.
      21. Power on your Nook Simple Touch.
        • Install from zip
        • Choose zip from sdcard
        • beta5-1XWUMFTouch-PART-2-END.zip
        • Click Reboot
      22. Open up Market and Accept Terms and Service.
        • If you made it this far your nook should be successfully Rooted. Go Download an App to make sure.

23. Enable Non-Market Installs by running the NookColor Tools App.
      24. If your Youtube fails to launch Uninstall and Reinstall Youtube from /data/app
      25. Go to Settings > Device Info > SdCard > UnMount > Format

• Thanks To:
      • mali100 - For porting CWM to Nook Simple Touch
      • eded333 - The second zip to fix Market Issues.
      • MrMuffin - For the original Market Hack that we're using.
    • If I'm using an app in TouchNooter and you would like Credit/Thanks, or to have it removed, please PM me, otherwise I might not see your requests

• Currently Working On: Raspberry Pi Triple Boot System
    Download Searchmarket app from a browser. The market search is broken on rooted NST.

I'm able to get the market working... but I can't search for any apps. When I search, it just sits there and does nothing.

I can browse apps just fine.
    Uploading an untested version of a patch that should work for 1.2.x to the nooter download site. I'll link it here and check in on whether it works or not if anyone wants to give it a try.

https://nooter.googlecode.com/files/glownooter-1-12-25.zip

Note: This is untested, it is just a patched framework.jar from the latest 1.2.x update. This may also work on Touch without Glow. This makes no changes to uRamdisk so any "improvements" by B&N to the uRamdisk may be lost. I will further check out the uRamdisk when I have more time on my hands.

Thanks.
    The difference between this and tinynoot IS the fact it has Market on it, you can actually go to google.com/play now and install apps to the device. Other than that there is no major difference.
    I'll try it. Really, all I want to get is the amazon kindle app, the rest of it Ii don't really care about. but when I bring up the amazon app-store, it won't show me the kindle app. For some reason it will show me most everything else.

I tried downloading an amazon kindle apk, but the sites that had it looked kinda scary.

And after messing around a bit more, I realized that my BN account info isn't in settings either. I'm going to try the whole mess again. Can I take a kindle apk from my phone and just copy it to the sdcard and install it?

The newer versions of Kindle won't work on the Glow. The version included below seems to be the latest version that works.