Additional tipps/hints:
  • change your keyboard layout to the one of your language/country (right-click top right most left icon and choose "change keyboard layout")
  • use versioning! :
    • double-click "Terminal" on desktop
    • enter "sudo apt-get install git-core git-gui" (internet connection is required)
    • enter the password ("root") , confirm installation, after install exit the window
    • enter "cd Desktop/kernel_source"
    • enter "git init"
    • enter "git add ./"
    • enter "git commit -a" then enter "first commit" & save & exit (the keyboard combinations for this are shown)
    • enter "git gui" and in first menu click "visualize master's history" -> you will see all commits and changes you made in each commit there
    • everytime you have made a few changes to the kernel, run "git commit -a" again (and if you add new file git add ./), so a new commit will be added to the commit history and you can see all changes there
  • use a diff viewer (Meld Diff Viewer of virtual machine linux software repository) for comparing guestekrnL sources with unchanged v10E stock kernel sources, so you can understand custom kernel making better! -- you can find orig sources here http://www.lg.com/global/support/ope...delCode=LGP990 , download the v10E archive and unpack until you get a folder called "kernel", make a folder-comparison with Meld Diff Viewer afterwards!
  • Just take your time, begin with only compiling the kernel without changes (and try if it boots) and then slowly change more and more stuff, don't change too many things at once, always compile&try the kernel between more changes.
  • Learn by viewing the commits other developers make for their kernels, but pay attention that some commits might not be complete or incompatible with your kernel! Some commits of CM7 kernels can be useful, but not all will be compatible. When I started I learned much by just reading the commits of ironkrnL, from this commit page upwards: https://github.com/SetiroN/lge-kerne...mits/v2?page=5 (only the things "SetIron" directly commited) -- Please note that my own git repo is a mess, as I don't split up changes to single commits, I just make a commit for all changes a new kernel version has, so my repo won't help u much in learning
  • Always check Desktop/kernel_source/guestekrnL_BUILDS/build.log for errors after you made a new kernel build, especially at the bottom of the file. (Warnings don't matter.)
LG O2X @ GoodBye v2.0R
+ guestekrnL v2.2.1
"Fische, die nur mit dem Strom
schwimmen, sind tot."