Dual Boot Flashable Zip [New! CM10 (emmc) and CM7 (SD), 28 Jul 2012]

Search This thread

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
I tired flashing 1.3 and cm9 boots, and the script executes, but I get stuck at the motorola boot logo and have to restore the boot sector from my backed up rom to boot into cm9 again. I have let the phone try to boot for about 25 before restoring the boot sector.

Look in the troubleshooting section of my thread starter...

Copy /sdcard/Boot/CM7/boot.img to your computer. Then with phone connected to computer with fastboot tool (e.g. under Android SDK Platform Tools) enter:

fastboot devices (make sure phone is recognized)
fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img
fastboot reboot

Helpful link: http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/fastboot-guide

If CM7 does not boot, most likely one or more of your SD card ext4 partitions does not exist or is corrupted. Were you able to successfully create these partitions?

To all: The micro SD card adapter has a little slider switch on one side to make it read-only. If your adapter has such a switch, make sure it is not set to the read-only position. Even so, GParted Live CD still may not recognize your SD card. In that case, please review this thread: http://xdaforums.com/archive/index.php/t-1183593.html

Last edited:
Reactions: jarstelfox

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
Security Feature

If you have dual boot going, here's one way to secure your phone: Configure "boot-rom.sh" to boot CM7, pull your SD card and your phone will not boot. To recover, reinsert SD card, reboot and CM7 will come up.

tamilmad

Jan 14, 2012
LineageOS
Google Pixel 6
Thanks a million

Installation went through without any hickups. Thanks a million for your very simple CWM Zip file and your video tutorial for partitioning. Now I am on both CM9 and CM7.

Suppose I need to use Notaach's GB based ROM instead of CM7, what should I do?

Also how can I keep abreast with the Jokers releases?

Please post your instructions.

Reactions: sendust7

anwesh2810

Nov 7, 2008
Installed without any errors..booted into cm9 but in SM there is no boot folder in sdcard...not even in emmc

Sent from my MB860 using XDA

anwesh2810

Nov 7, 2008
No problem solved the above mentioned issue.. guess my sdcard was not partitioned correctly.. tried to format sdcard in CWM, did not work so tried sd-ext format it worked..then booted into cm9 copied dual boot zip into sdcard, went into CWM installed from sdcard and everything works perfect..
.. initially installed dual boot zip from internal sdcrd...may be that was the issue..

jarstelfox

May 13, 2011
San Luis Obispo
I got everything working, another suggestion I have is to make the cm9 and cm7 read the same text message databases, so you have all your texts no matter that side of your phone you are on... I know boot manager does this, but boot manager has issues finding the boot.img cm9 and of cm7, if we could hook the two together, there would be a large profit

Last edited:

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
Yesterday, an xda member requested help making AOKP his primary ROM. I didn't know anything about AOKP, but after discovering it was another flavor of ICS, I started to relax.

So I went on to dual boot AOKP with CM7. This was my first time doing this with an AROMA-based installer, and it crashed on the first try. Then I flashed my wiper zip (wipe /cache and /data on both sides), rebooted and everything went well except I forgot to include Script Manager on CM7. That is fixed now.

mapobean

can anyone help? i have successfully got nottach to boot on sd card and have installed AOPK to phone but can not get script to boot into sd card rom it does however work to boot back to phone by argument 2. What did i do wrong? was i supposed to push script and script .sh to rom before writing it to sd?

OK tried to fastboot boot boot_new.img and it kind of worked but i am stuck in boot loop on sdcard ROM any help?

EDIT: First thing i believe i posted under wrong thread, this was for dual booting using windows by hatefuel19 and the original OP sendust7. I have successfully got Nottach GB ROM to boot on sd card with AOPK as Phone ROM but have run into a small problem and may have found the culprit. The directions need to state that boot_new.img needs to be renamed to sdrom.img I am going to retest and post back.

Last edited:

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
can anyone help? i have successfully got nottach to boot on sd card and have installed AOPK to phone but can not get script to boot into sd card rom it does however work to boot back to phone by argument 2. What did i do wrong? was i supposed to push script and script .sh to rom before writing it to sd?

OK tried to fastboot boot boot_new.img and it kind of worked but i am stuck in boot loop on sdcard ROM any help?

EDIT: First thing i believe i posted under wrong thread, this was for dual booting using windows by hatefuel19 and the original OP sendust7. I have successfully got Nottach GB ROM to boot on sd card with AOPK as Phone ROM but have run into a small problem and may have found the culprit. The directions need to state that boot_new.img needs to be renamed to sdrom.img I am going to retest and post back.

Actually, either thread is appropriate.

With my latest video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQIQIKeIbI, I was attempting to reach the widest possible audience by encouraging the use of GParted Live CD (boot any computer with it regardless of operating system). Unfortunately my HDMI capture of GParted Live was not as "HD" as I had hoped since Live CD rendered the images at very low resolution. My silent video using GParted on Ubuntu had far better display quality.:eek:

mapobean

Sendust7, thanks for the great work you do. I figured out where i went wrong earlier but ran into syntax errors and have given up for now. I flashed your dual boot zip and love it. One thing though, I normally add a custom shortcut to Atrix Settings in Apex launcher so i can choose internal memory. I did this with no problems and it worked fine but when i tried to run script to boot cm7 it would not work even if i copied it to emmc. The only way to get script to work was to uncheck use internal memory in cm9. I just wanted to bring this to others attention just in case someone decides to flash an fstab.zip. Thanks again I am going to try dual booting Nottach GB rom to sdcard with Aopk as phone ROM again soon but for now I am using your zip and loving it.

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
Sendust7, thanks for the great work you do. I figured out where i went wrong earlier but ran into syntax errors and have given up for now. I flashed your dual boot zip and love it. One thing though, I normally add a custom shortcut to Atrix Settings in Apex launcher so i can choose internal memory. I did this with no problems and it worked fine but when i tried to run script to boot cm7 it would not work even if i copied it to emmc. The only way to get script to work was to uncheck use internal memory in cm9. I just wanted to bring this to others attention just in case someone decides to flash an fstab.zip. Thanks again I am going to try dual booting Nottach GB rom to sdcard with Aopk as phone ROM again soon but for now I am using your zip and loving it.

Thanks for getting back. You made some awesome progress here.

Right, I don't think switching to internal memory is good for dual boot since the boot files (/sdcard/Boot) reside in external memory. I guess we could push /sdcard/Boot to both sides.:D

I just finished repeating your experiment: AOKP (emmc) and NottachTrix (sdcard). I modded the "NACHT" branch of boot-rom.sh to boot Faux 1.0 GHz kernel (since ATT kernel hangs at the Big M) and it actually worked --- somewhat. I found two problems so far:

1) CWM 5.0.2.0 recovery log under /tmp showed errors trying to mount mmcblk0p15 (cache) and mmcblk0p16 (data) --- even though I redirected all of the mounts in the updater script and in ramdisk.

2) Wireless "Error" and wireless button wouldn't work. Then, when I rebooted to AOKP, wireless was flaky (low signal) and I thought maybe NACHT had fried my wireless. But then it eventually came back. Then I reinstalled NACHT, chose stock ATT kernel and as before, no boot.

So now I'm back on Faux 1.0, lol.

Take care.

renguer0

Apr 14, 2012
Thanks for share your work mate! It's really AWESOME!

Can I use Blur based rom on SD Card and CM9 based ROM and "Faux CM9 1.0 Kernel" on Internal card and share apps and more between the differents ROMs? I really don't know what I have to do it =/

For that moment I've "Paranoid Android ROM" and "Faux's Kernel CM9 1.0" on internal card and 8GB SD Card empty. Thanks for read.

Last edited:

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
Thanks for share your work mate! It's really AWESOME!

Can I use Blur based rom on SD Card and CM9 based ROM and "Faux CM9 1.0 Kernel" on Internal card and share apps and more between the differents ROMs? I really don't know what I have to do it =/

For that moment I've "Paranoid Android ROM" and "Faux's Kernel CM9 1.0" on internal card and 8GB SD Card empty. Thanks for read.

Blur (sdcard) and CM9 (emmc) is sketchy right now. But here's an edit of my latest post: I believe ATT kernel hangs at Big M because I never got to the point of redirecting the mounts from emmc to sdcard :eek: . This particular boot image appears to have more than one ramdisk --- and as a result my boot image unpacker refused to process it.

As for the wireless problem, me-thinks this is related to the fact that I'm running DD-WRT on both of my routers. I've read some posts where folks had some problems getting Atrix to work with DD-WRT.

renguer0

Apr 14, 2012
Thanks for your reply, I understand. So, it can be possible on the future? :)

Last edited:

jimmao

Jan 30, 2009
Spent sometime to make the partitions and installed this dual boot rom. Very straight forward. Everything seems to be working. What surprises me is that seems like AOKP works very well as far as I can see. I might stick to it for a while until I found something that will force me to use CM7.
PS. Are we able to reflash CM7 and CM9 separately at some stage when we get such updates? So that we do not need to wipe existing working system?

sendust7

Oct 24, 2011
California
Spent sometime to make the partitions and installed this dual boot rom. Very straight forward. Everything seems to be working. What surprises me is that seems like AOKP works very well as far as I can see. I might stick to it for a while until I found something that will force me to use CM7.
PS. Are we able to reflash CM7 and CM9 separately at some stage when we get such updates? So that we do not need to wipe existing working system?

That's great news!

You should be able to flash an update of the same variety (CM9) to emmc. Updating the second ROM (of same variety) would require modification of zip file contents, including the boot image --- unless you are able to reuse the custom boot image residing in /sdcard/Boot/CM7. See my original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1642185.

It's beginning to look like Blur ROMs should go on emmc. Not sure, but I think this has to do with proprietary files. I couldn't get wifi to work on NottachTrix (sdcard).

jimmao

Jan 30, 2009
That's great news!

You should be able to flash an update of the same variety (CM9) to emmc. Updating the second ROM (of same variety) would require modification of zip file contents, including the boot image --- unless you are able to reuse the custom boot image residing in /sdcard/Boot/CM7. See my original thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1642185.

It's beginning to look like Blur ROMs should go on emmc. Not sure, but I think this has to do with proprietary files. I couldn't get wifi to work on NottachTrix (sdcard).
Thank you for the information. I thought the same. which is we might be able to update CM9 at the moment. I do like to make upgrade CM7 or stable version harder. :D So that I can keep the stable version untouched longer.:D

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    New! Dual Boot Flashable Zip CM10 epinter (emmc) and CM7.2 RC3 (SD) ...

At least two variants of JellyBean CM10 for Atrix are now available courtesy of xda members epinter and jokersax11. So I created a Dual Boot Flashable Zip (DBFZ) with CM10 (epinter) on emmc and CM7.2 RC3 on SD card. This is consistent with the philosophy of hosting an alpha ROM on emmc and a stable ROM on SD, thus making it easier to manage dual boot when flashing alphas.

Dual-Boot-CM10-epinter-0727-CM7.2-RC3-signed.zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?grp4adjqwuhica1

I noticed that the CM10 path to SD FAT32 is now “/storage/sdcard0”. So I updated the boot switcher: ./Boot/boot-rom.sh to automatically follow this path if it cannot locate ./Boot on the /mnt path.

I also found a bug in my previous DBFZs which this version fixes: In CM7 /system/bin/backuptool.sh, redirect the “mount /system” command to SD: “mount /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system”

That's it...

Instructions:

1. Boot to CWM and if necessary, partition your SD (you can use SmartPart, which is described further below):

2. Are you coming off a previous dual boot with a non-CM7 ROM on SD? You can ...

wipe SD /cache: http://www.mediafire.com/?mc881zjhl9oqr0q
    wipe SD /data: http://www.mediafire.com/?4k4fey6gxe1nbn0

Both wipers assume that SD is correctly partitioned to host ROM.

3. Flash DBFZ.

4. Boot to CM10 and configure SD card ./Boot/boot-rom.sh in Script Manager to boot CM7 (Argument = 2).

Note: If for some reason the Boot directory did not make it over, you can manually extract it to /storage/sdcard0 (CM10 path).

5. Boot to CM7 and configure SD card ./Boot/boot-rom.sh in Script Manager to boot CM10 (Argument = 1).

6. Boot to CWM and flash CM10 gapps and gapps-for-CM7-20120316-sdcard: http://www.mediafire.com/?1c2br6sw6330lwn

You should be able to flash another CM10 alpha right over this one. And if the CM10 boot.img differs from current one, you can update dual boot configuration by copying boot.img to ./Boot/ROM1.

Cheers.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“SmartPart” Android batch script intelligently partitions your Atrix SD card to host a second ROM in a dual boot configuration

SmartPart v1.1 accommodates larger SD card-based ROMs, simplifies tweaking and slightly refines the decision logic for repartitioning.

Dry Run (allows you to see first-hand what to expect without making any changes, since all code that modifies SD card is commented out)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?81uikn7ih8brcnw

Full Up
    http://www.mediafire.com/?vz2q6usm2f84j8q

SmartPart Features

• Eliminates the need to swap SD card between phone and computer
    • Takes the guesswork out of setting partition boundaries by automatically computing them while taking measures to protect your SD card's existing FAT32 partition and all data stored on it. My (pre-shrunk) FAT32 partition actually grew after running this script, lol.
    • Provides a “walk-through” feel as it computes and displays useful info about your SD card and internal memory --- all in “real time” on your monitor. And the intermediate results files are all stored in the CWM /tmp directory alongside recovery.log.
    • Option to backup your SD card's FAT32 partition before proceeding
    • Several options to exit midstream before modifying SD card
    • Uses all stock ClockWorkMod Recovery shell commands
    • Can be run from any ADB-enabled machine, Windows or Linux

Preliminaries

• ADB-enabled computer (“adb” tool resides in the Android SDK “platform tools” directory)
    • CWM Recovery 5.0.2.0
    • Class 4 (or higher) SD card with leading FAT32 partition. Class 2 MAY work, not sure.
    • Fully charged battery

Instructions

1. Download "part-sdc.sh" from link at top and move to directory where "adb" tool resides
    2. Boot to CWM
    3. Connect phone to computer
    4. At ADB command terminal, enter:

Code:
    adb devices   (ensure device is listed)
    adb push part-sdc.sh /tmp  
    adb shell   (to access phone's root filesystem)
    sh /tmp/part-sdc.sh   (run SmartPart)
    5. During execution, follow all prompts, read the displayed info and wait for SmartPart to process between interrupts. See "Timing Benchmarks" below to get a feel for how long things take.

6. Done!

7. Reboot to CWM and (if necessary) wipe /cache and /data for primary ROM and flash dual boot – or maybe clone the /system partition of a working ROM to SD card.

SmartPart Algorithm

1. Analyze memory and check for three ext3[4] partitions of adequate size behind the FAT32 partition. If they exist, exit; else continue with memory analysis.

2. Check for SD card device name: "mmcblk1"

3. Check if SD card has enough free space to hold second ROM. If not, exit.

4. Provide option to safety-backup SD card FAT32 to /emmc with a timestamped backup directory. Figure on 2+ minutes per GB using Class 6 or lower SD card.

Note: I have run SmartPart several times on my Class 6 SD without backing up and in each case, all of my data under /sdcard was preserved.

5. Option to backup SD card FAT32 to /emmc, check if /emmc has enough free space to hold this backup. If not, exit; else proceed with backup at user's request.

6. Remove any pre-existing SD card partitions beyond FAT32. If coming off a previous dual boot, this will wipe the SD card-based ROM /system, /cache and /data.

7. Proposed SD card partition design is presented for review.

8. Option to repartition SD card by resizing FAT32 and creating three new “ext” partitions for ROM /system, /cache and /data respectively.

9. Upgrade ext2 to ext3 using CWM “tune2fs” filesystem tuner.

10. Final review: Mount SD card FAT32 and ROM filesystems to show used and available space

11. Unmount filesystems and exit

Note 1: Partition sizes may not be adequately robust for all ROMs. May need to increase size of one or more partitions. But the script format allows for easy tweaking.

Note 2: I tried rolling an earlier version of SmartPart into a CWM-flashable zip, but got errors at runtime. I think it is because when CWM flashes zip files, the /sdcard filesystem is mounted and stays mounted during the entire flashing process --- and partitioning tools cannot modify a device while one or more of its filesystems are mounted.

Timing Benchmarks

Platform:
    SanDisk 16GB Class 6 micro-SD
    Motorola Atrix 4g running ClockWorkMod Recovery version 5.0.2.0

Running part-sdc.sh with single FAT32 partition
    Start: 1:13:15 Finish: 1:19:35 (6.3 minutes)

Backup 4000MB from /sdcard (FAT32) to /emmc using CWM busybox"cp" copy command
    Start: 2:14:06 Finish: 2:23:09 (9 minutes, or 2.25 minutes per GB)

Same backup with CM7 running on SD card and LCD mostly OFF
    Start: 5:23:30 Finish: 5:33:28 (10 minutes, or 2.5 minutes per GB)

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Dual Boot Information Here!

PLEASE read Dual Boot Instructions first! See below.

Dual Boot Flashable Zip v1.4
    Ziplink: http://www.mediafire.com/?58pxlm9qbj5e1q2
    Checksum: http://www.mediafire.com/view/?rg3bozbckzq4baq

This is my first attempt at integrating dual boot with an AROMA-based installer. It worked great on my phone after flashing my wiper zip (wipe /cache and /data on both sides).

Make sure to have a solid Nandroid backup. If you previously had dual boot and want to backup your second ROM, I can provide some direction on how to do it. (CWM Recovery will not recognize the second ROM.)

Then, CWM-flash wiper zip: http://www.mediafire.com/?yguun5clck17pdx to fully wipe /data and /cache on emmc and sdcard.

Then flash dual boot zip and select all of the AROMA defaults if you want to make sure this works before customizing.

Android should boot to the Nvidia Tegra II splash screen and hang there til it's finished loading files and building cache. Longer boot times are typical after full wipe. Then look for the familiar Welcome screen.

Since the primary goal here is to get dual boot working, you can skip Google setup for, tapping “Next” to all the prompts and then “Finish”. Then configure Script Manager using the Dual Boot Flashable Zip instructions below.

In the AOKP/CM7 zip file updater-script, I pushed the kernel you selected during the AROMA install to: /sdcard/Boot/AOKP/boot.img. So theoretically, if you boot AOKP from CM7, Android should boot that same kernel. I personally haven't had much success with overclocked kernels; my Atrix usually goes into boot loop.

Now if you want to customize from here, it's better to re-flash the dual boot version of AOKP and customize from there instead of flashing the original AOKP installer zip. That's because AOKP doesn't include Script Manager which is needed to quickly boot to the other ROM.

I did a simple test by choosing Droid splash instead of Tegra II and black keyboard instead of AOKP kb. Everything seems to work fine except for the usual CM9 hiccups with rotation, camera, etc.

CM9 beta 0.6.9.1 and CM7 RC3...

Dual Boot Flashable Zip v1.3
    Ziplink: http://www.mediafire.com/?b7g7i78kzr08hcd
    Checksum:http://www.mediafire.com/view/?4yue8mds4sd7zxc

Features:
    • Joker Beta CM9 0.6.9.1 (emmc) and CM7.2.0 RC3 (sdcard)
    • Zip updater now automatically backs up the boot configuration directory: /sdcard/Boot (if it exists) and generates a new /sdcard/Boot.
    • Installation/configuration instructions are now simplified as a result of these enhancements.

Dual Boot Instructions:

1.a. Create ext4 partitions on sdcard as described here and/or in my original Dual Boot Atrix thread. I prefer to use GParted with micro-SD card connected directly to computer via card adapter. This can be done on a Windows or Linux machine using GParted LIve CD: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gparted/files/gparted-live-stable/ , Here are two videos showing how to do this. The second one (better display quality but no sound) was done on Ubuntu, but the method is exactly the same.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fQIQIKeIbI
    http://www.mediafire.com/?ys8b07b0vpaivg5 (opens with VLC Media Player)
    1.b. Remove SD card from computer and reinsert into phone.
    2. Download dual boot zip to /sdcard/Download (or wherever you keep your ROMs).
    3. Flash dual boot zip via CWM 5.0.2.0. If all goes well, CM9 should be on emmc, CM7 on sdcard and boot files in new directory: /sdcard/Boot
    4. Reboot. CM9 should come up, though the first boot takes longer as CM9 is building cache.
    5. On CM9, go to Apps, tap SManager (SM) and browse as root (no need to install widgets). With SM running, tap Menu > More > Advanced Options > Config and set home directory to /sdcard/Boot (use the select directory button at bottom). Exit and restart SM, look for /sdcard/Boot/boot-rom.sh and tap on it. Set Arg = 2, tap "Su" then "Save" then "Run" to reboot to CM7 from CM9. The first boot takes longer as CM7 is building cache.
    6. Reboot to CM7 and configure SM to run /sdcard/Boot/boot-rom.sh exactly the same way you did for CM9, except this time set Arg = 1 to reboot to CM9 from CM7.

If you want a jet clean install (e.g. after previously dual booting) here is a single CWM-flashable zip that completely (and dangerously;)) wipes /cache and /data (ALL user apps and related data) for both ROMs (emmc and sdcard). Link: http://www.mediafire.com/?yguun5clck17pdx . I am presently working on a companion backup/restore zip.

Note: Dual Boot Flashable Zip version 1.2 and below are now deprecated.

Video Tutorial Sneak Preview! http://www.mediafire.com/?ys8b07b0vpaivg5
    This video-only clip shows how to partition your micro-SD card so it can host your second ROM. You can open the video using VLC media player (free). In this video, I have my 16 GB micro-SD card connected to my computer via card adapter, and am using GParted on Ubuntu 11.10 to shrink the existing vfat partition and create the required ext4 partitions (/system, /cache and /data) for my second ROM. Note: The sizes of these new partitions are approximately the same as the existing emmc partitions. You can also boot your Windows/Linux computer with a GParted Live CD and perform these operations. I chose to run GParted on Ubuntu so I could capture this high res video with Desktop Recorder.

Bonus! CM7 GApps flashable zip ported to sdcard: http://www.mediafire.com/?dv22qnfqzj5d3la Since this version is older than Google Play, it will initially come up as Android “Market”. And you'll probably get “Problem loading widget” at top of screen. I think it's the Google search bar trying to load. I just delete the search bar as it consumes too much real estate anyway. Let Android Market update to Google Play (takes a little while), reboot to CM7 on sdcard and enjoy.

Useful info here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1642185 and http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1645344

SD card partitions should look something like this after the install:http://www.mediafire.com/i/?qseve9gppjt2bxe
    i

When you reinsert your SD card to phone, Android should recognize the partitions as:

/dev/block/mmcblk1p2 (system)
    /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 (cache)
    /dev/block/mmcblk1p4 (data)

Troubleshooting: Copy /sdcard/Boot/CM7/boot.img to your computer. Then with phone connected to computer with fastboot tool (e.g. under Android SDK Platform Tools) enter:

fastboot devices (make sure phone is recognized)
    fastboot flash boot /path/to/boot.img
    fastboot reboot

Helpful link: http://www.freeyourandroid.com/guide/fastboot-guide

If CM7 does not boot, most likely one or more of your SD card ext4 partitions does not exist or is corrupted.

Please Note: The ramdisk directory embedded in /sdcard/Boot/CM7/boot.img is custom in that the embedded script file: init.olympus.rc is modified to mount /system, /cache and /data on sdcard instead of on emmc (see code below).

Code:
    on fs
    # mount mtd partitions
        # Mount /system rw first to give the filesystem a chance to save a checkpoint
        #mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system noatime nodiratime wait ro barrier=1
        #mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 /data nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc
        #mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 /cache nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system noatime nodiratime wait ro barrier=1
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p4 /data nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc
        mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 /cache nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc

SO... if you want to swap /sdcard/Boot/CM7/boot.img for another image and keep CM7 running on your sdcard, you must first: 1) unpack the new image to kernel file and ramdisk directory, 2) modify init.olympus.rc under ramdisk to mount /system, /cache and /data on sdcard instead of on emmc as described in the code, and 3) repack boot image from kernel and modified ramdisk. Along this line, I have developed simplified, more intuitive Perl scripts to unpack and repack boot image files based on: http://android-dls.com/wiki/index.php?title=HOWTO:_Unpack,_Edit,_and_Re-Pack_Boot_Images

I haven't yet posted these new scripts as they are still under test, but hopefully they will make it a little easier to unpack/modify/repack boot images.

Please Note: I've received several valid requests for customization, and I seek to respond to each while continuing my research. However please understand that this work is highly experimental. One BIG challenge is the lack of a recovery tool that will recognize the ext4 partitions for /system, /cache and /data on sdcard. So for example if you want to customize your secondary (sdcard) build, you won't be able to do it via standard zip flash. For now, customizations must be done manually e.g. by modifying/re-signing the customization zips or by pushing a nandroid backup of your pre-customized ROM to the respective ext4 partitions on sdcard. I'm looking at ways to automate certain methods. I've also considered developing a "Sendust Recovery" tool, but that would be a huge undertaking:)

Idea: A flashable zip that clones primary ROM and data to sdcard. Concept offered by XDA member Always_Jonezen (thanks!)

A future goal of this project (and a primary reason for building this zip) is to redirect user apps to sdcard per Joker's suggestion, thus allowing each ROM to access a common set of apps . For CM7, the /data partition is already on /sdcard as /dev/block/mmcblk1p4. I would still need to modify the CM9 paths.

Standard disclaimers apply. In short, I am not responsible for any harm you or your phone may incur by using any or all of this material.

Many thanks to epinter, jokersax11, leonardoaraujo, and the CM/Photon/Atrix/Android dev teams for their excellent ROMs. And of course, to Koush.
    ok i finally got it I got dual boot with the new Provision cm9 rom and Nottach trix GB rom and it works it freaken works!!!! This took me a while because of numerous syntax errors and I am by no means a dev. or even know what i am doing I am just not scared of brick and follow great tutorials like those found from these great dev's sendust7, hatefuel19, and all the other great here on XDA. I want to help others accomplish this same task and have not had time to fully test everything but i have ics gapps on cm9 and it appears everything on Nottach works also. What i did was wiped everything and installed Provision rom and ics gapps. pulled boot.img and followed the instructions

Once boot image is unpacked go to the out directory and find init.rc

Edit init.rc with notepad++ (NOT NOTEPAD) and change these lines

ONLY CHANGE THE /dev/bloc/mmcblk part. LEAVE EVERYTHING ELSE THE SAME

From

mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p12 /system noatime nodiratime wait ro barrier=1
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p16 /data nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk0p15 /cache nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc

TO

mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p2 /system noatime nodiratime wait ro barrier=1
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p4 /data nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc
    mount ext4 /dev/block/mmcblk1p3 /cache nosuid nodev noatime nodiratime wait barrier=1 noauto_da_alloc

Once you have made these changes you can finish the tutorial posted above or below for repacking and make sure to

the only thing that is different is where these lines are found. They are in the init.olympus.rc not the init.rc after i followed all directions i was able to boot into boot_new.img and then rebooted to recovery flashed Nottach 1.3.1 installed script manager and the boot script found in hatefuel19's post and ran into some trouble getting the script to work at first but then i played until i figured it out and there you have it. Sorry if this is no help I will try to answer questions if any are adressed towards me but all the thanks goes to sendust7, and hatefuel19
    Oh yeah, my baby's rooted, the bootloader's unlocked and I'll update to the newest CWM when I've got the time. It's good to see the webtop on Nottachtrix working, but this still doesn't exactly answer my question. Judging from the screencap you so generously took, that looks to be the stock webtop.

The stock Webtop is precisely what I'm trying to avoid. It was sort of nifty for a while, but it was really rather useless for anything other than getting pissed off at how stripped down it was. The Ubuntop mod looks as if it will add some basic functionality I'd need for my course work at college; things like OpenOffice, the ability to install things, some modicum of stability, etc.

With the Ubuntop mod--which you can find here--you're using webtop2sd so you can use your SD card instead of the... filesystem it came with (or something like that). My fear is that it would be impossible to create a dual boot with a Blur ROM (Like Nottachtrix) having this Ubuntop mod because of the fact that you must partition your SD card in order to set up the dual boot, and the other fact that webtop2sd also has you relying on a partition on your SD card. For some reason, I get the feeling there would be some sort of conflicts...

I don't exactly know what kinds of complications could arise if I tried this crazy CM7/NostalGix + Ubuntop setup myself, but if you gurus say that the speed bumps are negligible, and that I'm at no risk of permanently wreckin' something, I feel obliged to try it out myself. To have a stable Blur ROM with a functional Webtop PLUS a stable version of CM7 I can boot into is a thought almost too exciting to bear.

Thanks, 'fellas!

OK I see where you're headed, and I will study how to integrate Ubuntop with CM7 on SD.

In the meantime, some of us may be interested in my latest thread: porting MIUI CM7 and GApps to SD... http://xdaforums.com/show....php?t=1749288 , not necessarily because we want MIUI, but because this new thread contains some useful information on how to further customize our dual boot configurations and how to overcome limitations of stock recovery tools in terms of managing our SD card-based ROM partitions.

Take care.
    No problem solved the above mentioned issue.. guess my sdcard was not partitioned correctly.. tried to format sdcard in CWM, did not work so tried sd-ext format it worked..then booted into cm9 copied dual boot zip into sdcard, went into CWM installed from sdcard and everything works perfect..
    .. initially installed dual boot zip from internal sdcrd...may be that was the issue..