2450mAh "Gold" slim battery

Search This thread

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
Well guys n gals, I have received today THIS battery.
(edit: it seems the seller has raised the price slightly, when I bought it couple weeks ago I've paid $6 USD with free shipping)
(edit again: price actually goes up or down a dime or two because of the exchange rate: this listing is originally in GBP - British Pound Sterling, so it depends on how high or low currency exchange is at this moment

img3002small.jpg

MORE PICTURES HERE

It is for HTC Sensation, however:

the good:
- it doesn't require any special back door (it is standard size)
- it does have much larger capacity (don't know is it really/exactly 2450 mAh, but certainly it IS of larger than original, see my first notes below)
- it didn't get hot (and it was just warm when chgarging)
- it is Made in Japan (which generally indicate best quality)
- it is recognized by MT4GS (no "unrecognized" battery problems)

the bad:
- it is slightly larger, by about 0.5-1mm (perhaps because of this thick gold aluminium sticker it is wrapped around?). I had to insert it at the angle and kinda "squeeze" it in at the top
- takes long time to charge (it took about 6hrs to charge using phone's original charger)

(seller's stock photos that were here have been removed - after 6mths all links are dead)

My MT4GS is currently running on this battery for 4+hrs (with data - 4G or wifi - turned ON all time) and finally the "full" battery icon has changed to the "almost full" (1 notch less) on the screen.
With same use I would be in the middle or slightly more than half on original battery (that's how I already know it must have larger capacity).

Will let you know more once I use it and test it further.

Screenshots for the first 3 charge/ discharge cycles, conclusion and my other reports:
post #5
post #8
post #15
post #18
post #47
post #50
post #52
post #64
post #73 (my conclusion)
post #121 (my final 'report' after few weeks of use)
post #226 (after 6 months of use)
post #249 (after almost a year of use)
post #255 (after 1 year + of use)

enjoy :)

Last edited:

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
This is interesting...please do let us know how this pans out for you. Seems like a good deal.

Will do.
Current status:
img3005small.jpg

BTW, stupid question: how do you take screenshots with stock ROM?
(I have tried power button + home but it doesn't work, or the picture went somewhere where I can't find it lol)

jonnycat26

Feb 16, 2008
That kinda looks like an Anker with a different wrapper. The notches and cuts are almost identical.

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
Download the screenshot app.
Easier said than done. There aren't many screenshot apps for unrooted phones, and not a single one free :( (for unrooted)

That kinda looks like an Anker with a different wrapper. The notches and cuts are almost identical.
Well, they all should be almost identical or the battery wouldn't fit our phones...

New status pics after few hrs of "sleep" at night, and about 1/2hr of "work"
(had to find screenshot app that works, and I tested install/uninst about 10 of them)

20120605092615.jpg
20120605092632.jpg

edit
Can someone explain to me what is that blue line at the top underneath the runtime?
Apparently it shows usage or (non-usage?) as a linear graph, but how do I "read it", the gaps at begining (or on the left) and then it turns into constant line on the right side?

Last edited:
Apr 6, 2012
Battery Type

I believe the reason these gold batteries can hold more, despite having the same size, is because they are Lithium-ion Polymer batteries, as opposed to the Lithium Ion batteries that the Anker/Stock batteries probably have.

Reactions: MT4GS

jonnycat26

Feb 16, 2008
Well, they all should be almost identical or the battery wouldn't fit our phones...

I'm not talking about the contact points, I'm talking about the other little markings on the battery. If you compare that battery to the stock battery, you'll see some minor differences in markings and grooves. That battery looks identical to an anker.

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
So what's the update on this battery? Was it as good as you'd hoped?

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using xda premium

Here:
20120605202534.jpg
20120605202548.jpg

Phone had very "light" day today: less than 10 phone calls, few emails, 2 txts, about 20min web browsing, so the battery still has juice now at the evening...
Since this is the very first charge I want to keep it going until it's down to about 3% before I charge it second time. I hope it won't die at night and lasts until morning.

"Is it as good as I hoped"?
All I can say after using it for just 1 day is that certainly it has much larger capacity than stock battery, that's for sure.

UPDATE
I was afraid the battery might not last until morning and die at night, so I decided to drain it faster and turned everything (bluetooth, GPS, wifi), started using google maps, uploaded videos to my google drive, called my other number and left it "talking" and so on. In less than half an hour the battery was down to 10% and power saver kicked in. So I gradually drain the juice down with another voice call, I had last battery warning when it was at 5% so I took the screenshots, uploaded them to google drive and made 1 more voicecall at which point about 2min later the phone did shutdown itself (I assume batt dropped down to 3%)

Last screenshots of batt status I took after the "5% battery warning":
20120605212839small.jpg
20120605212831small.jpg

I removed this battery (because I needed to charge my original batt to full before I leave it in a box) and took more photos.
I've also found out why it was tough to insert it at first.
See next post.

Last edited:
Reactions: gtmaster303

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
The "Gold" HTC Sensation 2450 mAh battery in comparison with black original "standard" HTC MyTouch 4G Slide battery:

img3019small.jpg

img3011small.jpg

img3013small.jpg

img3014small.jpg

img3016small.jpg

Notice notch on one of the "Gold" battery's sides is slightly smaller than it is on our original battery.
Also the notches have slightly different shape, kinda inward trapezoid instead of rectangular.
That is the reason why I had to slightly pry the battery in when I inserted it for the first time, and that's why I found small crack on the "Gold" battery's notch - see the top left corner:
img3008small.jpg

Above picture taken after I already tried with my finger to rip out that part of the notch, but it didn't go.
I took small pliers and I started slowly pull this corner of the notch out, until it easily snapped and broke off:
img3021small.jpg

That's how it looks now:
img3022small.jpg

Of course you don't need to break it the way I did, you can use some small file and enlarge the notch the "proper way"... I just was impatient and took a "shortcut" with pliers ;)
Anyways, once you do this particular notch/edge the battery now goes as easy as the original battery when you insert it.

My first conclusions:
This 2450 mAh "Gold" battery, at $6 a piece including free shipping, and lasting for 1 day and 2+hrs (on the very first charge - which should improve after few charges) seems like a very good bargain.
I don't know how it compares with 1800 mAh "Ankers" or "Mugens" since I don't have those, but in few more days I will give you all more thorough and definite conclusion.

edit:
My original battery is now fully charged and stored, phone is off and I'm charging the "Gold" battery. Since I'm going to bed soon I will not know how long it will take to fully charge it this time.
I will post battery status pics tomorrow at the end of the day again.

edit: I noticed images hosted on imageshack have started to disappear, so I have downloaded and attached the remaining ones to this post. Sorry about that.

Attachments

• img3008small.jpg
    img3008small.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 94
  • img3013small.jpg
    img3013small.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 103
  • img3021small.jpg
    img3021small.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 108
  • img3022small.jpg
    img3022small.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

gtmaster303

Oct 19, 2010
Apparently it shows usage or (non-usage?) as a linear graph, but how do I "read it", the gaps at begining (or on the left) and then it turns into constant line on the right side?

I believe that's the amount of time your wifi is on. At least that's what it is on Virtuous Inquisition.
It could also be the amount of time your GPS, awake, screen on, or charging.

But I just checked, and the bar matches up with the wifi on my rom. It's the only one that's ALWAYS on. Hence a solid blue line all the way across
By the way, I love your pictures and screenshots. Very descriptive and helpful. Keep them coming!

Judging by the amount of "awake time" your phone has off a single charge with the battery, I believe we have a new value kid on the block...
This battery looks like it can give an Anker a run for its money. Anyone want to replicate OP's setup with their Anker and post results??

Last edited:

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
Something woke up my doggie around 4AM and then he woke me up :rolleyes: so after I chased away whatever it was on my backyard I saw the green light on my phone and I turn it on.
Data (wifi/4G) and bluetooth are ON since I left them like this yesterday. However I didn't use any bluetooth device, so I'm guess it is "sleeping", right? Or is it really ON all this time? I still can't figure out so many aspects of Android OS and this phone... i.e. in all my Windows Mobile phones if I left bluetooth on and nothing connected to it within set time (I had it set to 2min) then bluetooth would automatically turn off. Apparently it works differently on Android :confused: since bluetooth icon is still present.

Anyways, here are the pics.

BATT. CHARGE #2:
20120606103219small.jpg
20120606103240small.jpg

Looks promising. I just ordered one off Ebay, $6.83 USD with free shipping.
Cool. I think the small price differences come from exchange rate (of USD to GBP, seller's currency)

I believe the reason these gold batteries can hold more, despite having the same size, is because they are Lithium-ion Polymer batteries, as opposed to the Lithium Ion batteries that the Anker/Stock batteries probably have.
Exactly. That's why I was searching specifically for Li-Po battery.

I'm not talking about the contact points, I'm talking about the other little markings on the battery. If you compare that battery to the stock battery, you'll see some minor differences in markings and grooves. That battery looks identical to an anker.
Understood.
What I meant is that if the batteries are for the same phone manufacturer models, if they have same shape and measurements, they usually fit many devices (from the same manufacturer).
AFAIK only Sony and Motorola still continue making a "one time use" battery designs that would fit only one particular model (very wasteful).

Yes, the only problem might be the notches/groves as you have pointed out, but more often than not that's not the case. However, if the manufacturer decided to use completely different notches to the extent that it would not go into another phone, I always assume in such cases they must have had valid reasons for doing so and I wouldn't even try to force it in.

I believe that's the amount of time your wifi is on. At least that's what it is on Virtuous Inquisition.
It could also be the amount of time your GPS, awake, screen on, or charging.

But I just checked, and the bar matches up with the wifi on my rom. It's the only one that's ALWAYS on. Hence a solid blue line all the way across
By the way, I love your pictures and screenshots. Very descriptive and helpful. Keep them coming!

Judging by the amount of "awake time" your phone has off a single charge with the battery, I believe we have a new value kid on the block...
This battery looks like it can give an Anker a run for its money. Anyone want to replicate OP's setup with their Anker and post results??
That's it, you are right, it has to be wifi. It's the only thing that I usually have always on too, hence the solid line probably matching the times when I was indoors, and the gaps when I was outdoors (and data autoswitched to 4G).

I'm glad someone appreciates my pics n description, thanks! Certainly I will post more (when I have something to post).

Yes, I too think this "Gold" battery might be excellent (and so cheap! lol) replacement for our sh***y standard batteries; pardon my language, but I would throw a PooPie in the face of the HTC person responsible for our original batteries without any hesitation if I had the opportunity and knew who he is :mad:

Regarding replication of my "setup" - even if someone flashes same stock ROM I don't think it's possible to replicate one's usage. Heck, I doubt if even I could repeat same usage pattern on the same phone again.
But I think there is easy solution: LEDs! :)
Since our phones have the "flash" LEDs, we can use the stock ROM's "Flashlight" app to test it, using i.e. middle brightness setting to speed it up (I wouldn't go for the highest as it could shorten LED's lifespan).
Think: the LEDs should drain battery fast enough for the test not to last for hours, and since LED manufacturing technology has matured years ago I'm rather certain that 99.99% of the LEDs in our phones are exactly the same.

Their putting li-po in cell phones now? Geesh that's what I run in my RC car2
Yeah... this "Gold" battery is Li-Po too :D

IIRC the Lithium Ion - Polymer batteries have 1 major drawback (unless it was the Ni-MH batteries?) :
they loose charge in cold temperatures and radioactive environments faster than your Geiger Counter can click... I don't expect the latter to apply to any of us :rolleyes: but cold temperatures certainly are problem here in Canada (ya know, we have 2 seasons only: Winter and Sunny Winter, and yes: polar bears roam all the cities, and - since they outnumber us humans - they have recently acquired voting rights too, so don't you dare poke fun at'em, ehh? :p )

Last edited:

strapped365

Mar 14, 2011
Columbus
Cool. I think the small price differences come from exchange rate (of USD to GBP, seller's currency)

Exactly. That's why I was searching specifically for Li-Po battery.

Understood.
What I meant is that if the batteries are for the same phone manufacturer models, if they have same shape and measurements, they usually fit many devices (from the same manufacturer).
AFAIK only Sony and Motorola still continue making a "one time use" battery designs that would fit only one particular model (very wasteful).

Yes, the only problem might be the notches/groves as you have pointed out, but more often than not that's not the case. However, if the manufacturer decided to use completely different notches to the extent that it would not go into another phone, I always assume in such cases they must have had valid reasons for doing so and I wouldn't even try to force it in.

That's it, you are right, it has to be wifi. It's the only thing that I usually have always on too, hence the solid line probably matching the times when I was indoors, and the gaps when I was outdoors (and data autoswitched to 4G).

I'm glad someone appreciates my pics n description - thanks! Certainly I will post more (when I have something to post).

Yes, I too think this "Gold" battery might be excellent (and so cheap! lol) replacement for our sh***y standard batteries; pardon my language, but I would throw a PooPie in the face of the HTC person responsible for our original batteries without any hesitation if I knew who he is it and had the opportunity :mad:

Regarding replication of my "setup" - even if someone flashes same stock ROM I don't think it's possible to replicate one's usage. Heck, I doubt if even I could repeat same usage pattern on the same phone again.
But I think there is easy solution: LEDs! :)
Since our phones have the "flash" LEDs, we can use the stock ROM's "Flashlight" app to test it, using i.e. middle brightness setting to speed it up (I wouldn't go for the highest as it could shorten LED's lifespan).
Think: the LEDs should drain battery fast enough for the test not to last for hours, and since LED manufacturing technology has matured years ago I'm rather certain that 99.99% of the LEDs in our phones are exactly the same.

Yeah... this "Gold" battery is Li-Po too :D

IIRC the Lithium Ion - Polymer batteries have 1 major drawback (unless it was the Ni-MH batteries?) :
they loose charge in cold temperatures and radioactive environments faster than your Geiger Counter can click... I don't expect the latter to apply to any of us :rolleyes: but cold temperatures certainly are problem here in Canada (ya know, we have 2 seasons only: Winter and Sunny Winter, and yes: polar bears roam all the cities, and - since they outnumber us humans - they have recently acquired voting rights too, so don't you dare poke fun at'em, ehh? :p )

Well let's hope they don't start making 2 cell phone batteries or we will need a balance charger. But now I know its a li-po that kinda scares me being in a phone. Reason being I have a Losi Mini-T RC Car with a Castle Creations 8000 kv motor and a Mamba Max ESC. When I run my ni-mh battery its when I want to cruise at 22 mph, but when I throw in my 2 cell Li-Po I'm kicking out 59k rpms which comes out to about 55mph. I haven't been able to clock it any faster because using my phones gps to clock a rc car at over double the speed limit in a residential neighborhood is not fun. But the point of it is Li-Po's are some serious power throwing batteries id hate for it to be pushing to much to the phone

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

MT4GS

May 18, 2012
Well let's hope they don't start making 2 cell phone batteries or we will need a balance charger. But now I know its a li-po that kinda scares me being in a phone. Reason being I have a Losi Mini-T RC Car with a Castle Creations 8000 kv motor and a Mamba Max ESC. When I run my ni-mh battery its when I want to cruise at 22 mph, but when I throw in my 2 cell Li-Po I'm kicking out 59k rpms which comes out to about 55mph. I haven't been able to clock it any faster because using my phones gps to clock a rc car at over double the speed limit in a residential neighborhood is not fun. But the point of it is Li-Po's are some serious power throwing batteries id hate for it to be pushing to much to the phone

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Tapatalk 2

WOW. Really wow! That's big difference!
But I think the electric motor's speed is related to voltage, right? (the higher the voltage the faster the speed) So if your engine runs on i.e. 3.0V and you use higher than 3V battery, then it goes faster, right?

In case of differences between this and standard battery, they both have same 3.7V, the difference is in capacity only (Li-Po holds more than Li-Ion).
Capacity:
If there were any Ni-Cd (old style rechargeables) battery types for our phones, assuming same size and same 3.7V voltage, such Ni-Cd battery would hold probably less than 1000mAh. Would this "slow down" our phones? No. The difference would be only in the usage time we could squeeze out of it (if it existed), one charge would probably give us only few hours of use at most.
Similarily, Li-Po battery of same 3.7V (but of higher capacity) cannnot "speed up" our phones. It only give us more usage time off the same charge because it has greater capacity than standard Li-Ion battery.

edit
BTW, what happened to the "Thank you" button? I want to thank gtmaster303 for the "blue line" explanation 2 posts above, but the buttons are nowhere to be found

edit2
The 2cell batteries - yes, my first "extended" battery for my Hermes or Kaiser was like this. I didn't knew it was 2-cell until my USB port quit working (it burned in the place where it was soldered to the board, most likely because charging this 2-cell batt required double the Amperes it wasn't designed for... and it was so difficult to unsolder and solder new port, real horror)

Last edited:
Reactions: miskorus

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Well guys n gals, I have received today THIS battery.
    (edit: it seems the seller has raised the price slightly, when I bought it couple weeks ago I've paid $6 USD with free shipping)
    (edit again: price actually goes up or down a dime or two because of the exchange rate: this listing is originally in GBP - British Pound Sterling, so it depends on how high or low currency exchange is at this moment

img3002small.jpg

MORE PICTURES HERE

It is for HTC Sensation, however:

the good:
    - it doesn't require any special back door (it is standard size)
    - it does have much larger capacity (don't know is it really/exactly 2450 mAh, but certainly it IS of larger than original, see my first notes below)
    - it didn't get hot (and it was just warm when chgarging)
    - it is Made in Japan (which generally indicate best quality)
    - it is recognized by MT4GS (no "unrecognized" battery problems)

the bad:
    - it is slightly larger, by about 0.5-1mm (perhaps because of this thick gold aluminium sticker it is wrapped around?). I had to insert it at the angle and kinda "squeeze" it in at the top
    - takes long time to charge (it took about 6hrs to charge using phone's original charger)

(seller's stock photos that were here have been removed - after 6mths all links are dead)

My MT4GS is currently running on this battery for 4+hrs (with data - 4G or wifi - turned ON all time) and finally the "full" battery icon has changed to the "almost full" (1 notch less) on the screen.
    With same use I would be in the middle or slightly more than half on original battery (that's how I already know it must have larger capacity).

Will let you know more once I use it and test it further.

Screenshots for the first 3 charge/ discharge cycles, conclusion and my other reports:
    post #5
    post #8
    post #15
    post #18
    post #47
    post #50
    post #52
    post #64
    post #73 (my conclusion)
    post #121 (my final 'report' after few weeks of use)
    post #226 (after 6 months of use)
    post #249 (after almost a year of use)
    post #255 (after 1 year + of use)

enjoy :)
    My final 'report' + few notes after couple of weeks with this "Gold" battery (and after reading your follow-up posts since my last one):

1000mAh ?
    Well, if this "Gold" 2450mAh battery is supposedly only 1000mAh (as someone stated few posts back) then our "original" battery would have to be about 600-650mAh.
    1: Just by the size and weight it is impossible. I have 650mAh and 960mAh Li-Ion and Li-Po batteries for my cameras, and 650 is 1/2 and 960 is about 1/3 smaller, and both weight less than our "original" batteries.
    2: Also such huge discrepancy is impossible even by chinese manufacturers (lack of) standards.
    I don't know what does it say underneath the gold metallic wrapper (I will rip it apart when it dies) but I seriously doubt it is only 1000mAh, because I trust HTC's original battery is more-less 1520mAh, and since this "Gold" battery lasts with the same use at least 60% longer than my "original" batt, logically it has to have at least 60% larger capacity too.
    edit: and simple math confirms it: 1520x1.6=2432 (almost 2450 as described).
    Are we talking about the same "gold 2450" batteries?
    BTW: why not post a picture of that ripped-apart "Gold" battery (where it says 1000mAh) for all of us?

Initial charging
    Guys, the first charging you do are the ones that will make it or break it. Seriously.
    Li-Ion (and Li-Po) batts are always factory-charged to less than 50% (30%-45%) for storage.
    You should drain it down (ideally to to 5%) at first, then fully charge it. Repeat it at least 3 times. Read my first posts from 1st/2nd/3rd charging: after each time the charging time decreased while capacity increased, it was after 4th or 5th charge when my battery start to be constant with charging times and how long it last.
    Only after those first few charges your battery is fully ready and *then* you should measure it's real capacity.
    If you follow some different charging/discharging pattern during those crucial first few charges, you most likely will decrese battery's capacity and/or longevity.
    I know it is only few bucks, but still - it applies to any brand Li-Ion/Li-Po batts.
    (I don't have links, but it's a common knowledge, google it and I'm sure you'll find info backing me up).

"Gold" 2450mAh vs Anker 1900mAh
    Friend of mine bought set of 2 Anker 1900mAh slim batteries with charger, and he let me try his 1st "ready' Anker for 2 days while he started using/"conditioning" his second battery.
    On 1st day of my normal use this Anker batt didn't last me till end of the day. I removed phone from charger cradle at 7:20AM and it was going into power save at 15% just after 6PM (phone was with everything ON, same as I normally have it with my "Gold" batt).
    The 2nd day was better, it lasted from 8AM to around 9:30PM when 15% power save kicked-in, but I forgot to turn on wi-fi back after doing 4G speed tests in downtown around noon time, so I'm sure this has something to do with it too, since more than half the day my phone had wi-fi OFF.
    So - in conclusion of comparison - I am happy I didn't go with slim 1900mAh Anker batt, as my "Gold" 2450mAh always lasts more than full day of my normal use and up to 2 days of light use (1.5 day is probably average for me, because I often forget to charge it overnight and next day I have to plug it in my car in the afternoon ).
    I'm sure it is those 500mAh+ more capacity of the "Gold" batt what makes the difference.

Weird thing:
    I noticed this "Gold" battery has a weird pattern when charge is very low. Perhaps it is because my phone isn't calibrated with this battery, I don't know (I just started reading up about all these "calibration" apps).
    When it is down to 15% I never have more than 5min of phone usage left (by usage I mean: screen and everything else is ON) before it goes down to 10%, 5% and shutdown presumably at 5%. With Anker 1900mAh it lasted for 20+min between 15% and 5% warnings (but screen wasn't on). With original HTC battery it lasted for 12min (I just tested it too few days ago - BTW I can't imagine using the original battery ever again! We should make a class action suit against HTC, these original batts are like a crime against mobility in general!).
    So either it discharges weird, or - most likely - my phone doesn't show the percentage correctly (i.e. 15% is not really 15% but maybe certainly much less).
    /edit: my friend just read this post and messaged me that in his opinion that's how Li-Po batteries behave at low charge status. Anyone knowledgeable could confirm or deny it? Somehow I didn't notice this with my other Li-Po camera and other batts

Well, that's all I have to say in my final 'report' :)
    HTH and apologies for posting a "book" again ;) :D
    Here are some pics. I was doing nothing out of the ordinary, just having it sit in my pocket, in my G1 pouch.

img20120920181613.jpg

img20120920181555.jpg

it swelled up so much, it bent my battery cover.

img20120920181635.jpg
    Just ordered one. When it comes in, Ill see about putting in a comparison between the Anker 1900, the QCell 3800, and this one.
    You post a lot of screenshots of battery life. Can you also include screen-on time, please? If you tap on the "Display" section, you should get more stats for that. This is usually the primary drainer of batteries, so I'd like to see how much screen-on time you have with these tests. :)