[USER][TIPS]Nook Color User Tips for CM7/CM9/CM10/CM10.1 From LeapinLar

Search This thread

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
At the request of a user I am creating this thread to consolidate my tips for the Nook Color that are spread out over several other threads. Check back occasionally as I may add more tips to this post. (Note: This tip post got so large that I had to split it into two posts so that XDA would let me post changes. See the next post in this tread for the continuation.) See the change log in my second post.

Most of these were developed for CyanogenMod versions 7, 9, and 10, but some may work on other ROMs. These tips are in no particular order, except that general tips are in section A and SD tips are in section B.

I know this is a long post (I have been accused by one user of being 'long-winded'), but you do not have to read all of it (unless you want to). Just scan the headings and read those that apply to your issue. I think the most useful tips for users having problems are A8, A9, A10, A11 and A12. For SD users it is item B2, which points to the latest SD image file.

A. GENERAL TIPS THAT WORK ON CM7, CM9, or CM10

A 1. Put some settings in /data to avoid losing them in a ROM flash

Many things can be added to the /data directory to customize how CM operates. By adding the things there, they survive a flash of a new ROM since new ROM flashing usually only effects /system.

You can create a new text file named local.prop and put it into /data. That file can contain anything that normally can be put into build.prop in /system. It is loaded after the build.prop file is loaded so in some cases it can override settings in build.prop.

You can create a new folder in /data/local named userinit.d. In that folder you can place script files that you want to run at boot time. An example of a script that works is the script to make the SD boot partition show up on your system for SD installed CM. That is described later.

You can put a custom boot animation in /data/local and it will override any boot animation that is included with your ROM in /system.

You can set some system properties by putting entries in a folder named /data/property. For example, if you want to skip the boot animation at boot time, create a text file named persist.sys.nobootanimation and place the value 1 in it. Then the animation is turned off. If you want to re-enable it, change the value to 0.

In some of these files it is important to set the permissions correctly in order for them to work. For example, any scripts in the userinit.d folder must have their permission set to execute or they will not execute at boot time.

A 2. Dalvik Cache, what it is, how it works.

Dalvik cache is a method that android uses to speed up operations. There are two dalvik caches. One in /cache (for system apps) and one in /data (for installed apps). Clearing dalvik cache with recovery clears both. Clearing /cache will clear the dalvik cache in /cache but not the one in /data.

In flashing new ROMs, the only one really needing clearing is the one in /cache since only new system apps are installed in a ROM flash. Also only clearing the one in /cache makes it boot faster since the nook does not need to rebuild the one in /data for your installed apps which have not changed.

I have described how the cache works and a tip on how to speed up booting for SD installs here. The tip is repeated in section B3 in the second post of this thread.

A 3. Wiping in preparation of a new ROM flash.

Ordinarily if you are moving from one nightly to another nightly of the same rom, just wipe dalvik cache with Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery.

If you are moving from one type of rom to another, it is best to do a "wipe data/factory reset". A factory reset wipes /data, /cache and clears any apps you installed to SD. The rest of your media data on emmc or SD is left intact. Since a factory reset clears both /data and /cache, there is no need to separately clear /cache or dalvik-cache. A factory reset means you will lose all settings and installed apps. So, before you do a factory reset, you may want to backup your apps with a program like Titanium Backup so you can restore them later without re-installing. If you have one of the newer Nook Colors with the new partition layout, you need to have version 3.2.0.1 or newer of CWM or the factory reset will not complete properly.

The new rom automatically wipes /system as part of the installation, so you should not have to ordinarily wipe that.

Never wipe /boot. It will remove your stock or CWM recovery and you may end up in a bootloop. Or worse yet, since it removes the boot files, it will not turn on at all unless there is a bootable SD in the SD slot.

When flashing a stock ROM, I have found that for some reason CWM does not wipe clean enough and the new ROM stalls. I have found that I have to flash my format partitions 5, 6, and 7 zip as described in my item A15 below. In fact, anytime you are switching from one kind of ROM to another it might be a good idea to use that zip first.

A 4. Freeze/Block applications

There may be times when you want system installed apps to be removed from your system. Do not just delete them from /system. You may find later that you want them back and also deleting them may cause your system to lock up. You can use third party apps like Titanium Backup Pro (not free) or Gemini Application Manager (free) to freeze/block the apps you don't want. These apps change an entry in a system database that tells the system to ignore those apps. They will not be loaded into memory or listed in your app drawer. With these third party apps you can do this to any app. For CM9/CM10 you can do the same thing for system apps in Settings/Apps. Just open the system app and select disable. You can always enable it later. But this only works for system apps.

A 5. Sleep of Death (SOD) on CM7 and CM9

SOD has been a problem with CM for a long time. If you leave your wifi set to stay on all the time and the device goes into deep sleep, it sometimes will not wake back up. There is apparently some interaction between waking up and wifi that locks it up. The device is on but you cannot get the screen to come back on. The only way to get out of it once it is locked is to hard power off by holding the power button for like 15 seconds and then releasing the power button and pressing again to power back on. For CM7 the work around is a modified wifi kernel module (twlan_drv.ko) in /system/lib/modules. (Get it here). The devs have built in the mods to the CM9 kernel so the revised module is not necessary in CM9.

A 6. ADB on CM9/CM10

For some reason that I do not understand, the device id (which is normally 2080:0002) is changed for CM9/CM10 in Windows. That means the adb composite drivers do not install properly and adb does not work. When you turn on USB debugging and plug your USB cable to your PC, Windows says it is looking for MTP drivers, but is really looking for adb drivers. I have explained how to fix that here.

A 7. Soft Navigation Keys in CM9 in Phone GUI

In both CM7 and standard CM9 the status bar is at the bottom of the screen and has soft navigation keys built in. In CM7 when you change screen density to a higher value, the status bar does not change. However in CM9, when you change density higher than the standard 160 dpi, the GUI switches to the phone mode and puts the status bar at the top like a normal android phone. The downside is that the soft navigation keys normally displayed on the bottom of the screen are suppressed. To get them activated just add a couple of lines to your properties file. See my post here.

A 8. Recovery bootloops

There is sometimes a mysterious bootloop issue where no matter what a user does, the Nook bootloops on booting. This is usually caused by a corrupt or missing recovery itself or by missing or corrupt files in partition 2 (/rom). No matter what the user chooses in the boot menu, it tries to find a working recovery to boot to. If it finds one, it boots to it. If it cannot find a working one, it boots to a blank screen or just a stuck "loading". Even if you put one of the older bootable CWM SDs in the slot, it still gets stuck since those older CWM SDs do not contain normal recovery files, just special bootable files.

There is a flag file in the /rom partition that tells the Nook to boot into recovery. ROM Manager uses that flag file to tell the system to boot to recovery when the user selects that option. And it tries to boot there no matter what the user tells it to do in the boot menu. After it successfully boots into recovery, recovery resets that flag file as it exits normally with the menu choice. So next time it boots it boots normally.

Sometimes that flag never gets reset, usually because there is no working recovery to reset it. So it continues to try to boot to recovery.

And sometimes it could be a missing or corrupted file on your /rom partition. In a folder in /rom (/devconf), several device specific information files are stored. One of those files (DeviceID), is critical to your device booting to a rom. If it is missing or corrupted the Nook will always try to boot to recovery so that it can repair itself. See my description of this problem in item A12 below.

If you boot to a blank screen or a stuck "loading" no matter which option you choose, it usually means a corrupt or missing recovery. If you boot to recovery repeatedly no matter which option you choose, it usually means a corrupted /rom partition.

To fix a corrupted or missing recovery on emmc, use my new CWM recovery SD I have detailed in my item A10 below. This SD has been modified to include the normal recovery files in addition to the special bootable CWM files there so that it can boot into recovery in this kind of failure. Just prepare the SD as described in item A10 below and turn off the Nook and insert the SD. Boot and the new CWM should appear. Sometimes just exiting that CWM immediately with the menu choice will get you out of the loop so you can boot to your ROM. But you probably still need to put a good recovery on emmc. Flash one of the stock recovery versions I have attached to this post below, or the new version of CWM (5.5.0.4) for emmc by Racks, also attached below (thanks Racks for the CWM). I recommend that you flash my stock recovery with CWM 5.5.0.4 as alternate version. That will put stock recovery as the normal recovery and the new CWM as an alternate recovery. That way if the nook decides it needs to repair partition 2, it can (see item A12 below for a description of that). And you can still get to CWM by booting to the alternate choice with the boot menu or holding volume up/down while booting. (The only downside I can think of using this zip is ROM Manager can no longer be used to flash things, it needs CWM as the normal recovery.)

You should probably save the CWM bootable SD for future use. You can use it to nandroid backup to the emmc media partition, factory reset and flash new ROMs to emmc as well as getting out of future bootloops.

To fix the issue of a corrupted /rom partition, go to my partition repair thread here or use the romrestore utility attached to this post. See item A12 for a description of romrestore.

For those interested in the details, the recovery flag file is named BCB and is in the /rom partition (P2). It is not what is contained in the file that makes a difference, it is the file size. If the file is 512 bytes or larger, the Nook will boot normally. If the file is less than 512 bytes or is MISSING or unreadable, it boots to recovery. And the DeviceID file in /rom/devconf is a 17 byte text file containing your 16 digit serial number followed by a linefeed.

A 9. Bootable SD Cards

An SD card must be formatted in a very specific way before the Nook Color will boot from the SD. The first partition must begin exactly on the 63rd sector of the card and the flags properly set.

It is very difficult using normal formatting programs and partition managers to make that happen. That is why devs include burnable images to burn to the cards if they are to be bootable. Examples include eyeballer's bootable CWM card, verygreen's SD installer card, racks' dual boot SD card and my new bootable CWM version 5.5.0.4 in item A10 below. They have the images all set up so that when burned properly the first partition is configured so it can boot.

But even when using these images they do not always work if they are not burned to the card properly. The cards may be readable in the PC, but do not always boot in the Nook. In Windows, most devs recommend using winimage or win32diskimager (here, it's free) run in administrator mode. Also if using winimage, do not select "write disk", select "Restore Virtual Disk Image to physical drive". In Linux or OSX, use the "dd" command. And they recommend using an external USB reader rather than any built in readers in the PC. Sometimes it is just the card you are using causing the problem. And sometimes you can get them to boot if you plug your stock USB cable and powered off Nook into your PC. Wait a few seconds and it might boot.

Don't give up, keep trying. It eventually should work if you have the SD prepared properly.

A 10. New Bootable CWM Recovery SD (v5.5.0.4 and now v6.0.1.2)

I have created a new bootable CWM SD and attached a zip of the image to this post (CWM-5.5.0.4-bootable_SD.zip). It is version 5.5.0.4 and is to be used for flashing/wiping/backing up emmc. To create the SD just unzip the image file and burn it to your SD with win32diskimager (here, it's free). Since it is only 200MB it can be put on a very small SD. Also since it is so small there is no room to make backups there. However, this version of CWM will let you backup to internal (emmc) media storage. But there should be plenty of room to put flashable zips on the SD. If you want the partition larger, after burning just use a partitioning program like Mini-Tool Partition Manager to expand it. This version of the bootable SD uses the new Cyanoboot bootloader, so just let it go and it will automatically boot to CWM. When finished using CWM, be sure to exit using the menu choice so that the recovery flag is reset. When you have exited, either keep the SD for future use or reformat it to use for other purposes. Thanks to Racks for the 5.5.0.4 CWM.

This CWM SD can be used for getting out of some recovery flag bootloops as described in item A8 above.

Just added v6.0.1.2 with a little larger partition (300MB). This version should be used if you want to flash the stock ROM from item A15 below. Otherwise, use either version.

For those users that do not want to use CWM, I have make a bootable SD that has an older version of TWRP here. Newer versions of TWRP will return an error message trying to flash my older zips. The image has also been modified to get you out of some bootloops.

A 11. EMMC partition repair

Several users have complained that they get blank screens and cannot flash new roms to their Nook Color. And sometimes they end up in a recovery bootloop where it will do nothing but boot to recovery no matter what they choose in the boot menu. Sometimes this is due to corrupted partitions.

I have developed some tools to help users repair corrupted partitions on emmc. See my thread here.

A 12. B&N stock automatic repairs (Factory reset to stock via 8 failed boots and automatic partition 2 (/rom) repair)

B&N built in two automatic repair utilities for Nook Color systems that were malfunctioning. First, it has a fail safe system that allows it to repair itself if the user was unable to get it to boot 8 times in a row. Second, it has an automatic partition 2 (/rom) repair utility (romrestore).

But both of these repair functions are only available if you still have the stock recovery on emmc. If the user has replaced that recovery with CWM (or TWRP) recovery they will not work. It is OK if CM has been installed on emmc, it is only a problem if CWM was also installed there wiping out the stock recovery. But I have a solution for that. I have attached a zip to this post that will re-install the stock recovery replacing CWM on emmc. And I just added the partition 2 repair zip to it. Now both stock repairs will work. Just flash the zip with CWM recovery (either from emmc or a bootable CWM SD card). I also added a version that will put stock as the normal recovery and CWM 5.5.0.4 as the alternate recovery. Just select it with the boot menu if you want to use it.

Stock recovery looks very different than CWM. If you boot into it (either using power/n keys during boot or the boot menu choice in cyanogen bootloader), a dialog box pops up asking if you want to do a factory reset to wipe all the data on the device. If you say yes it will wipe /data, /cache, and the media partition. If you say no it will reboot.

8 failed boot reset. An image of the system as it came from the factory is stored on one of the partitions (p3). After the 8 failed boots, the stock recovery software is automatically started and wipes all data (including emmc media storage) and restores the system files to original.

This is really handy for rooted stock users who want to either sell the system or return it to B&N. And it is useful if somehow the user cannot get the system to boot to a bootable SD and they want to start over with the stock ROM.

The procedure to follow if you still have stock recovery on emmc is:

(Paraphrased from a post by Harrybub)
Start with the Nook completely powered off.

Press and hold the power button, the volume up button, and the n button until you see the screen flash. (I have found the best way to do this difficult maneuver is to press n with the thumb of one hand and the power and volume up with the thumb and forefinger of the other hand, griping the top of the device.)

Release all buttons for one second then press and hold only the power button for several seconds until the Nook powers down. (Backlight off) This works best in dim lighting.

Do this again for a total of 8 times in a row.

The last time a screen will come up saying it is clearing your data and installing the factory image (which is stored as factory.zip on partition 3). You will be back to what it was when it came out of the box.

If you mess up the timing and it starts to boot up you will have to power it down again and start over at count one.

Of course if you can still flash things using CWM, it is probably easier to just flash a stock zip than to do the 8 failed boot procedure. But I wanted users to understand the process in case it was their only option. See item A15 below for flashing stock ROMs with CWM.

Automatic partition 2 repair utility. This repair utility will automatically repair partition 2 (/rom) if it thinks it is necessary. In partition 2 is a folder (/devconf) that holds vital system configuration files that the Nook needs like serial numbers and boot counts to help it decide to do the 8 failed boots described above. Every time the Nook boots, it checks the integrity of that folder and if it thinks it needs repair, it tries to repair it.

The test that it uses is it looks for a specific file in devconf named DeviceID. It is a text file that contains your 16 digit serial number followed by a linefeed (17 bytes total). On boot, if the that file is corrupted or missing, stock recovery is automatically invoked and runs a zip file named romrestore.zip that is in /boot. That zip looks in partition 3 (/factory) for a file named rombackup.zip. That file is a backup of your devconf folder from partition 2 that was made at system manufacture. If the backup file is found, the repair zip first formats partition 2 and then copies those backed up files from partition 3 back to your partition 2. It then continues the boot process booting to the installed ROM.

Partition 2 repair bootloop. This last repair utility is how some recovery bootloops happen. The user replaces the stock recovery with CWM recovery as part of putting a new ROM on emmc. Then when the system boots, it checks for integrity of partition 2 and if it thinks it needs repair, it tries to boot to stock recovery to do the repair. But stock recovery is no longer there. So it boots to CWM recovery and does nothing. No matter what the user does, it keeps trying to find stock recovery. Hence a bootloop.

There are three ways to get out of this loop.

You can flash a new stock rom on emmc. It will reinstall the stock recovery and repair zip as part of the installation. Then it can find that stock recovery on boot and repair itself. But you have to use a stock zip file that has been modified so that CWM can flash it. See my item A15 below for a link to a version of stock 1.4.3 that has been modified to be CWM flashable.

Or you could flash my stock recovery zip mentioned above. I just modified it to include the repair zip. In fact, you might want to flash my stock recovery zip that has CWM as an alternate recovery. I have included the CM bootloader with it so that you can use the boot menu to get to the alternate CWM. By using the stock recovery as normal recovery, the Nook can repair partition 2 any time it thinks it is necessary. And it is ready any time someone wants to use the 8 failed boot procedure.

Or you can flash one of my versions of the partition 2 repair utility. I have two. Romrestore (CWM flashable) is attached to this post. This romrestore zip is the stock version modified so it is flashable with CWM. It does not recreate the partition, it just repairs the files there. The other version is in my EMMC partition repair thread here and actually recreates the partition before it repairs the files. Once either of these are flashed successfully, and the Nook boots, the system should not find any errors in partition 2 and it should boot normally.

A 13. Nook Color Charging/Battery

The Nook Color charging adapter and cable have been custom made for charging the Nook. First the charging block has the data pins (d+/d-) shorted. Second the charging/USB cable has a special connector on the Nook Color end of the cable. It sort of looks like a standard microUSB connector but it is not. It has been elongated to add a second row of pins behind of the standard microUSB pins. Those extra pins mate with similar extra pins in the connector inside the Nook Color. Among other things, those extra pins give the cable more charging capacity. (For those interested, the pinout has been recently traced by a user and documented here.)

The charging circuitry inside the Nook Color looks for those conditions of the charging block (shorted d+/d-) and the extra pins in the connector. If it finds both of those conditions it allows for full charging capacity of the Nook Color (about 1.9A). The Nook Color will charge quite rapidly at that current. However if it does not find both of those conditions, it will think it is connected to a USB port and limit charging current accordingly (about .5A). This can take a while to fully charge the Nook Color (especially if the screen is on at the same time.) The charging circuitry does this for all ROMs. (Edit: There is also a third possibility. If you use a shorted d+/d- charger and a standard microSD cable it will charge at about half rate (about 1A). Thanks bobtidey for that tip.)

It is possible to use third party charging blocks with the data pins shorted along with the stock cable and you can still get full charging capacity.

But standard microUSB cables work great for data transfer between the Nook Color and your PC. And they can be used for limited charging with the USB port of your PC. Your PC usually limits that to .5A anyway.

Using the stock cable frequently sometimes leads to cable failure issues since the stock cable is so fragile. I got one replaced under warranty by B&N. But I finally bought a spare B&N power charging kit at Office Depot for $25. It included the charging adapter and cable. I have since found that the B&N kits are available online by many vendors. I have seen them as low as $12.95. Do a search for ADP-H01 and you will see many.

Several users have complained of battery problems. Their percentage varies all over the place and the device shuts down unexpectedly. My advise usually is to try a wipe battery stats from CWM. There is a lot of controversy in the community whether that really does anything useful. A few "experts" have said it does nothing and is only a placebo. And it has been removed from newer versions of CWM and TWRP. Another thing to try is to delete the max17042.bin file from /rom. Don't worry, it will get rebuilt on the next boot.

One of the users on this forum (catawalks) ran across an article about use and care of lithium ion batteries. There is a lot of good advice there that is not common knowledge. The user learned that how he was treating his battery was almost guaranteed to make it fail. (He was leaving it discharged for long periods of time then recharging fully and storing again.) You can read the article here (thanks catawalks for the link).

For those having an unusual battery drain while the unit is sleeping and want to find out what is causing it, get BetterBatteryStats here. This app is free if obtained here on XDA but costs on the Play Store. It tracks what are called "wakelocks". Those are applied when specific applications want to keep the Nook awake while it performs tasks in the background. They bring the system temporarily out of deep sleep. Of course your system uses more battery while this happens. Look at the wakelock information this app displays to get an idea what is keeping your Nook awake.

A 14. Skip Oobe (Out-of-Box Experience) for stock Nook Colors

If people are having trouble registering their stock Nook Colors, mateorod discovered a documented procedure where you can skip the registration step including setting up wifi. Just go here and follow the instructions. It even explains how to factory reset so that all data is wiped from the device. Thanks mateorod!

A 15. Flashing stock ROMs with CWM

Ordinarily stock ROM zips downloaded from B&N cannot be flashed to emmc with CWM. You must use the stock recovery to flash them. However, the zip can be modified to make it flashable with CWM. You can get a stock version 1.4.3 zip that I have modified to be flashable with CWM here or DizzyDen's older 1.4.1 stock zips here. The zip files are so large that it is best to use either the 6.0.1.2 CWM or the 2.1.8 TWRP bootable SDs from item A10 above. If you are coming from a CM ROM, I have found that I first need to format my partitions with the format 5-6-7 zip (formats /system, /data and /cache) that I attached to this post. If I just did a wipe with CWM, the stock rom would hang on boot for some reason. (And if you are interested in putting the stock ROM on SD, I have instructions in section B below).

A 16. Swapping Internal and External Media Storage

In CM7 there used to be a setting that would allow users to swap internal and external SDs. This was useful for users that had no external SDs and wanted their apps to use internal memory as SDCARD. Starting with CM9, CM changed it so the setting was no longer in settings, but was moved to the CMParts app. And now the CMParts app has been removed. But users can make manual modifications to activate the swap.

There are two ways to do it. One is to edit /system/build.prop to add this line:

persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1

The second way is to add a property file to /data/property. That way it sticks with a ROM upgrade. Add this file:

persist.sys.vold.switchexternal

And insert the value 1 (with no carriage return) in the file.

After making one of these edits, just reboot and they should be swapped. To return to normal just change the 1 to 0 and reboot again.

But there is a problem with some early versions of CM10.1 and CM10.2 that prevents this from working properly. It has been fixed in the current builds. But if you are running an older version, you can fix it yourself by editing this line:

ro.vold.switchablepair=/mnt/emmc,/mnt/sdcard

to

ro.vold.switchablepair=/storage/sdcard0,/storage/sdcard1

-----
Go to my next post in this thread for Section B. TIPS THAT APPLY TO THE VERYGREEN SD INSTALL OF CM.
-----

If you have questions or comments just respond to the thread.

Attachments

• NookColorUMS.rar
    55.8 KB · Views: 1,385
  • CWM-5.5.0.4-bootable_SD.zip
    9.5 MB · Views: 7,895
  • NookColor-emmc-stockrecovery.zip
    3.9 MB · Views: 2,379
  • NookColor-emmc-stockrecovery-CWM5504asAlt.zip
    8.6 MB · Views: 1,545
  • romrestore-CWMflashable.zip
    243 KB · Views: 1,718
  • NookColor-emmc-format-partitions-5-6-7.zip
    262.1 KB · Views: 2,088
  • CWM-6.0.1.2-bootable_SD.zip
    9.7 MB · Views: 73,168
  • update-encore-cwm.5.5.0.4-emmc-racks.zip
    4.7 MB · Views: 1,127
  • update-encore-cwm.6.0.1.2-emmc-leapinlar.zip
    4.9 MB · Views: 2,051
  • NookColor-emmc-stockrecovery-CWM6012asAlt.zip
    8.8 MB · Views: 2,370
Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Change Log and SD Tips

CHANGE LOG

09/22/13 - Added A 16 Swapping Internal and External Media Storage
11/23/12 - Added description in B1 on how to use my SD formatting zips
11/02/12 - Added 1.4.3 Stock ROM modified for verygreen SD installation (B11)
10/29/12 - Added verygreen SD formatting zips to the attachments in post two
10/26/12 - Retitled section B3 "Dual Booting" and added more information
10/23/12 - Updated Alternate CWM for SDs to v6.0.1.2 in item B5 and added a v6.0.1.2 bootable SD to item A10 and attached them both.
10/20/12 - Added information about not powering up after a wiped /boot partition to section A3
10/17/12 - Added link to updated SD installation instructions to section B2 and updated the SD installation image to Rev 5 to fix a CM10 issue
09/16/12 - Split out 'Flashing stock ROMs with CWM' to it's own item A15
08/21/12 - The verygreen SD installation image was updated to Rev 4 to accommodate JB zips and larger /data partitions in section B2
08/10/12 - Added a corrected version of the Alternate CWM for SD installs to section B5
08/09/12 - Added BetterBatteryStats link to section A13 and link to Taosaur's simplified SD installation guide to section B1
08/04/12 - Edited section A8 to clean up and include the latest information about recovery bootloops
08/03/12 - Added a modified version of the stock romrestore utility
07/30/12 - Added description of stock automatic partition 2 repair utility (romrestore) to section A12
07/28/12 - Added Skip Oobe (Out-of-Box Experience) for stock Nook Colors to section A
07/24/12 - Added Nook Color Charging to section A
07/11/12 - Added Factory reset with 8 failed boots to section A
07/08/12 - Added Emmc partition repair to section A, split tips into two posts
06/26/12 - Added How the verygreen SD works to section B
06/16/12 - Updated 'SDboot" to Rev 2 to make it easier to use Goo Manager with verygreen SD installs
06/13/12 - Released Rev 3 of the verygreen image for installing CM to SD, correcting an error introduced in Rev 2
06/10/12 - Described how to get out of some recovery flag bootloops (item A8)
06/03/12 - Added CWM 5.5.0.4 bootable SD
06/01/12 - Added Bootable SD cards
05/28/12 - Softkey patch no longer needed
05/18/12 - Added info about customizing navigation bar in phone gui mode.
05/14/12 - Added Recovery Flag bootloops
05/13/12 - Added warning about needing to use new CWM with newer Nook Colors
05/09/12 - Edited Revised SD Image for CM9 to indicate new script prepared
05/02/12 - Added Verygreen SD vs. Racks dual boot SD
04/30/12 - Added NookColorUMS for CM7 and CM9
04/27/12 - Added Using ROM Manager with SD installs

-----

B. TIPS THAT APPLY TO THE VERYGREEN SD INSTALL OF CM

B 1. Installation of CM on SD vs EMMC

How CM is installed for verygreen SDs is significantly different than for installing to internal memory (emmc).

Emmc (Embedded MultiMedia Card) installs are controlled by an installation script built into the zip itself. The zips are hard coded to install to specific partitions on emmc. CWM recovery is used to install to emmc and CWM turns over installation of the zip to that script built into the zip.

For verygreen SD installs there is no CWM recovery, just verygreen's script built into the boot partition. A properly named install zip (update-... cm-.... diff_... or gapps...) must be copied to the boot partition. Installation is controlled by his special script. It takes over installation of the zip, mostly ignoring the script built into the zip itself. It does not backup gapps or format /system. It just copies the new system files over the top of the existing files. Therefore if gapp or other files not in the zip were already there, they are still there and not modified.

Since the script installer does not format anything before installing a new ROM, sometimes it is a good idea to clear things out first. Or maybe your installation is acting up and you want to start fresh without formatting the whole card and losing your media files. You could use the modified Alternate CWM for SD (see item B5 below) to do it, but not everyone has installed that on their SD. So I have prepared and attached some zips as an alternate (and I think cleaner) way to wipe your SD partitions. They can be flashed with any recovery (on emmc or SD) since they are hard coded to format those partitions on SD that are named in the zip title. They have safety checks built in to make sure that you have your partitioned verygreen SD in the slot before they will attempt to format anything. If you are just installing a fresh nightly and you want to keep your data, just wipe system and cache (but that means you need to re-install gapps too). If you are having operational problems and want to keep the same ROM, just wipe data and cache. Or if you are putting on a completely different ROM, wipe system, data and cache.

If you do somehow get into CWM recovery on emmc, be warned that most things you do with it (like flashing or wiping) will happen to emmc, not the SD (except for those zips I just mentioned above). And if you are using older versions of CWM, it will try to place any nandroid backup files to the boot partition of the SD. There is not room there so it will fail. A work around is to use the new CWM recovery (version 5.5.0.4) that allows you to back up to the emmc media partition. Get a flashable zip to install the new CWM to emmc here or attached to the post above. The TWRP recovery also saves backups to internal storage. Get the latest version here. Or you could flash the stock recovery with CWM 5.5.0.4 as Alternate also attached to the post above.

For more information on SD installs, look at my post here.

For those wanting a simplified guide for installing CM7 to SD go Taosaur's excellent blog here. It also works well if you want to install CM9 or CM10 to SD. Just substitute CM9 or CM10 wherever it says CM7. I also have an updated SD installation instruction thread for CM9 and CM10 linked in my signature.

B 2. Revised verygreen SD image file for CM9/CM10

The original image file created by verygreen is an amazing thing. But for CM9/CM10 it has three problems. First, the boot partition is too small to accommodate the larger CM9 install zips. Second there is a problem of duplication of apps included in CM9 and gapps.And third, the naming standard by CM has changed. It no longer begins with update-. That means the existing install script will no longer recognize or install a new nightly when it is copied to the boot partition. Users must rename the file to start with update- if they want the existing install script to work. I have modified the install script to now also install nightlies if they begin with the new standard (cm-). I also added to the script the ability to recognize the new prefix (diff_) that is used by the new Goo Manager program to make an incremental update to an existing ROM. The new script will continue to recognize and install zips beginning with update- to provide backward compatibility. My modified image/script now fixes all these problems. I updated the image to Rev 5 to make it 300MB to accommodate the larger CM10 and JB gapps zips and to make the /data partitions larger for 8 GB and larger SD cards. You can read more about this here. Updated installation instructions for putting CM9/CM10 on SD have been posted along with the latest image here.

B 3. Setting up dual booting on the Nook Color

Dual booting is a really nice feature of the Nook Color. There are three ways that I know of to accomplish dual booting.

a. Leave emmc with one ROM and put one ROM on SD using verygreen's method. This is the scheme I use and recommend for users. This is the one that most of these tips in section B apply to.

b. Leave emmc with one ROM and use a dual boot SD install by Racks where two ROMs are installed on SD. I have discussed that scheme in section B8 below. Actually this scheme is triple booting because there is one ROM on emmc and two on SD.

c. Put two ROMs on emmc. I do not recommend this method as it means having to repartition emmc and that is risky since glitches might happen during set up. Vital information is stored on partition three and you can totally brick your device if you mess that one up and have not made a backup of it. I do have an emmc partition repair thread linked in my signature to help you repair if it messes up. But many users have used this scheme and seem to like it. If you are going to use it follow Taosaur's excellent thread here.

Use the boot menu to select the system you want to run. If you hold the "n" button just after the first tiny screen flash during boot, you will enter the boot menu which allows you to select the system you want to boot.

Below are some specific tips to make your verygreen dual boot work better.

Using the same SD media partition with emmc and the verygreen SD

By default, all ROMs installed on internal memory (stock, CM7, CM9, etc.) always use the first fat partition on your SD as "sdcard". That usually is partition 1. When ROMs are installed to SD using verygreen's method, the default for that ROM is changed to partition 4 of the SD.

If you want ROMs installed on emmc and installed on SD to use the same SD card for storing your media, you need to modify the emmc installed ROM to also use partition 4 of the SD. Go to /etc when booted to emmc and there will be a file named vold.fstab. Open that file in a text editor and look for a line that has 'sdcard auto' in it (without the quotes) and change it to 'sdcard 4' (and for CM10 it will say 'sdcard1 auto'). Save the modified file and reboot. Now both emmc and SD will use the same media partition on SD to save its data. No need to swap SD cards. Use the boot menu to select which system you want to boot up.

For modifying stock emmc you still modify the vold.fstab file but there are two auto's in that line in the file. Change the first one. If you have not rooted your stock, you will need to use one of the flashable zips I have attached below. One zip modifies stock to use partition 4 on the SD for media storage and the other zip returns it to stock settings. Use CWM to flash these zips. If you do not have CWM on emmc, use the bootable CWM SD I have discussed in item A10 above. Be sure to make the CWM SD on a different SD than your ROM is installed on or you will lose everything there. These zips are only to be used on systems that have stock on emmc.

Speeding up booting by modifying the dalvik cache setting.

The verygreen SD installation is set up to share the cache partition with the ROM on emmc. And since normally part of the dalvik cache is stored on the cache partition, every time you boot from one ROM to the other, the system is forced to rebuild the dalvik cache because the system apps are different for each ROM. I have discussed the dalvik cache in section A2 in my first post of this thread. To speed up booting by eliminating this rebuild, make a change to the dalvik configuration. When booted to the SD, create a local.prop file as I discussed in item A1 above and put this line in it:

dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only=1

This forces the ROM on SD to store the entire dalvik cache on the /data partition. Then when it boots after being on the other ROM, it does not have to be rebuilt.

B 4. Access to the SD boot partition inside CM

One of the annoyances of the SD install was the need to remove the SD and place it in your PC if you wanted to copy a new install zip to the boot partition for installation of a new ROM. I have developed a script that will mount the boot partition in CM so that you can download the new zip directly to the nook and copy it to the boot partition without removing the SD. See my post here to get the script and learn how to use it.

[Edit 6-16-12:] I just added Rev 2 of the script to my original post. This version adds a symlink so that it shows up in the root directory as 'sdboot' as well as under /data/sdboot. This makes it easier to use Goo Manager to download new ROMs. Just change your download directory in Goo Manager to /sdboot/ and it will download the ROM directly to your boot partition. Before you reboot, I would suggest you look in sdboot to be sure it downloaded successfully.

B 5. Using a modified Alternate CWM recovery for SD installs

Usually CWM recovery cannot be used with SD installs because CWM usually modifies emmc, not the SD. But I have modified a CWM recovery (v6.0.1.2) that can be used as an alternate recovery for SD installations. It can be used to modify the SD for everything CWM does EXCEPT FLASHING NEW ROMs to SD. (If you do try to flash a ROM with it, the ROM ends being installed to emmc.) But you can flash other zips (like gapps) as long as it has a generic installer script (and that is almost all install zips except ROM zips and zips that flash new kernels or new recoveries). For flashing new ROMs zips, continue to copy the install zip to the boot partition like you always have and the script in the boot partition will do the installing for you. This CWM will nandroid backup the SD, wipe dalvik-cache or cache, fix permissions, etc.

I am attaching a file to this post (AlternateCWM-SDInstalls-Rev2-v6.0.1.2.rar) which contains the files you need. To install to your SD card, unrar the file and you will have two files, uAltImg and uAltRam. Insert the SD card into your PC and copy those two files to the boot partition. Put the SD card back into the Nook. Installation finished. You can boot to the Alternate CWM for SD by using the boot menu and selecting SD/Alternate or holding the Volume Up/Down keys together while booting. Note that when the CWM is loaded it has "for SD" appended to the title so you can tell it is for the SD install.

B 6. ROM Manager and SD installs

When you install CM to SD, the app ROM Manager (RM) is installed with it. It should not normally be used with the SD install. It generally is geared toward doing what it does to emmc. If you tell it to install a new CWM recovery, it will install it to emmc (but if you want a new CWM recovery on emmc, go ahead and do it). It will find and download ROMs and gapps for you, but if you tell it to install them, it will try to boot into emmc CWM and install the zip to emmc. But it ends up booting into the verygreen SD recovery instead and doing nothing. Then the next time you boot into CWM recovery on emmc, it will finish the install it wanted to do originally (to emmc).

B 7. NookColorUMS for CM7 and CM9/CM10

One of the more useful apps I had for the SD install was NookColorUMS by Samuel Halff. I have a dual boot setup with CM7 on emmc and CM9 on SD. Before I developed the SDboot mount script in item B4 above, I would boot into CM7, run NookColorUMS and I was able to mount my SD boot partition so my PC could see it. That way I could copy the new ROM zip directly from the PC without taking out the SD card. I don't need to do that anymore since I developed the script. But NookColorUMS was still very useful if the ROM download was done on the PC or for looking at any partition on emmc or SD. Or, in my case, after building a new ROM on Ubuntu, I could copy it directly to the Nook's SD boot partition using UMS.

But NookColorUMS would not work on CM9, first because UMS was not enabled on CM9 and later, after the devs added support for UMS, because the lun file locations on CM9 were different than CM7. I started to play with the coding in NookColorUMS and figured out how to patch it to work on CM9. It worked so well I wanted to share it with the community. I contacted Sam and asked for his permission to post my modified app to XDA. He agreed. Thanks Sam!

The app as developed by Sam works perfectly on CM7. The CM9 patched version works very well, but has one quirk. After you go to settings and enable UMS and plug in your USB cable, the "Turn on USB storage" dialog always pops up. If you want to use NookColorUMS you must dismiss that pop-up by hitting the back key. Then you can mount any partition you want with the app. (If you do select that pop-up button, sdcard and emmc are unmounted in CM and mounted in your PC and you must turn off USB Storage in CM to get sdcard and emmc back on CM.) Once you have finished with the PC (with either version of the app), be sure to use the "eject" command in Windows (right click on the drive) to make sure it has finished any writing it may have been doing to the drive. Then you can use NookColorUMS to finish unmounting the drives.

In order for this to work on CM9 you must be running a recent (4/22 or newer) nightly and enable Mass Storage by going to settings, storage, menu, USB computer connection and select 'mass storage'. If that setting is missing or greyed out, your nightly is too old.

I have attached to this post a rar file that contains both the original app for CM7 and my modified app for CM9. The CM9 version also works great on CM10. Install the appropriate version and enjoy.

B 8. Verygreen SD vs. Racks dual boot SD.

These two versions of SD installations are very different. Many people are confused since Racks' new scheme is so popular now. The verygreen install is what I have been describing in the above paragraphs. Racks has prepared a much different setup. He has an image file that has all the partitions already set up to accept two systems on the SD. And he puts a modified version of CWM on his for backing up and flashing new ROMs to them.

How ROMs are installed is very different between the two systems. The verygreen script in the boot partition installs the ROM, correcting the zip install script so that it installs properly on his SD. With Racks' you use his modified CWM to install specially modified ROMs that Racks has prepared. You have to get the ROMs for flashing from his special web site. He has modified each ROM so that the installation script built into the zip puts the ROM on the partitions on his SD. He has the CM7 ROMs configured to go on his system1 and the CM9 ROMs configured to go on his system2. If you by mistake downloaded a CM ROM from somewhere else and try to flash it with his CWM recovery, it will get put on emmc, since all CM zips are configured to do that by default.

(Edit: Racks now has a thread set up where the user can use one of his scripts to modify the standard ROM or gapp files found on other sites so that they install properly on his setup. Look here.)

B 9. How to upgrade your SD installed CM to a larger SD.

You may have installed CM to SD on a relatively small SD and would like to upgrade it to a larger SD without having to lose everything you have set up on the smaller SD. You can do that with disk imaging software. I will give an example of someone who originally installed to an 8GB SD and wanted to upgrade to a 32GB SD. If your sizes are different, just substitute your sizes in the example below.

Get win32diskimager free from the web. Put your 8GB SD in your card reader and open win32diskimager in Windows. Choose the drive that has your SD in it. In the image file box pick a location on your hard drive and give it a name to save the image to. Then click 'read'. It will read the card and create an 8GB image file where you told it to. When it has finished, eject the 8GB card and insert the 32GB card. Select 'write' in win32diskimager and it will burn a clone of the 8GB card to your 32GB card.

Then get the free Mini-Tool Partition Manager software and use it to expand partition 4 on your SD to fill the rest of the empty space.

You should be able to boot that in your Nook just like you did with the 8GB card and all your apps and data will be intact.

(This should also work on Racks' Dual Boot SD. Just expand partition 7 instead of partition 4. I have not tested this though.)

B 10. How the verygreen SD works.

The verygreen image when first burned to the SD makes a single bootable partition on the SD. It is 117MB for the original verygreen image and 300MB in my latest revised image. It contains four files. MLO and u-boot.bin which are bootloader files and uImage and uRamdisk which are the verygreen installation script files.

The first time it is booted, the verygreen script starts with the penguin on the screen and a bunch of scrolling text. It looks at the SD to see if it has been partitioned yet. If it has not, it partitions it into those additional partitions necessary for installing ROMs. In addition to p1 (boot, fat, primary), it creates p2 (system, ext4, primary), p3 (data, ext4, primary) and p4 (sdcard, fat, primary). The sizes of these partitions are determined by the size of the whole SD with the larger sizes being for the largest cards (SDs larger than 16GB). P1 is either 117MB (original verygreen) or 300MB (my updated version). P2 varies between 300MB and 920MB. P3 varies between 500MB and 1,950 MB. And p4 takes up the remainder of the SD. In case you are wondering about the cache partition, the verygreen install uses the existing cache partition on emmc, which it shares with the ROM there.

After partitioning, it looks for a zip to install. If it does not find one, it stops and tells you to put one on the SD. The next time it boots it does the same checking and, since it is now partitioned, it just looks for an installation zip to install. If it finds one, it installs it, dynamically correcting it to install to and use the partitions on the SD, deletes the install zip, then powers off. The first time it installs a ROM, it renames those uImage and uRamdisk verygreen files to uRecImg and uRecRam and they become the verygreen recovery files. And it copies new MLO, u-boot.bin, uImage, and uRamdisk files from the zip. The new MLO and u-boot.bin are updated versions of the bootloader files which has the new boot menu. uImage and uRamdisk become your ROM kernel and ramdisk. These are what normally will load in the future to start the ROM.

So if you look at the boot partition now in the PC, it has six files in it. The new MLO, u-boot.bin, uImage and uRamdisk from the latest installed ROM zip. And it will have uRecImg and uRecRam which are the renamed original script files that are now your SD recovery.

Now, with the disk partitioned and the ROM installed, ordinarily, after the cyanogenmod or Cyanoboot logo comes up, it boots by default to CM via the uImage and uRamdisk files. If you intercede with the boot menu and tell it to boot to SD recovery, it looks for uRecImg and uRecRam and loads the verygreen recovery. The penguin comes up again and the script does it's checking and looks for a zip to install. If it finds one, it installs it and deletes the file when finished and powers off. If it cannot find one, it just powers off.

So anytime you want to install new ROMs, gapps or other zips, just copy those files to the boot partition and boot to SD recovery and the verygreen script will install them and delete the zips when successful. In the original verygreen script, install zips must be named beginning with update- or gapps-. In my newest revised image and script, they can be named beginning with update-, gapps-, cm- or diff_ and the script will recognize and install them.

B 11. Stock 1.4.3 ROM on verygreen SD

I have some good news for a few users. I have successfully modified the 1.4.3 stock B&N ROM zip to be flashable to a verygreen SD. That means you can put CM on emmc and still have your stock ROM available if you want to boot to it. Or you can just put it away for future use. Then you can use another SD to run a different version of CM on SD.

The modified ROM zip must be installed with CWM or TWRP recovery to the SD. Don't use the verygreen boot partition installer. A newer version of TWRP or CWM recovery (newer than 3.2.0.1) must be used. Those older versions require that you have normal SDs in the slot and you will have your verygreen SD there. The newer versions can find the installation zips on internal memory (emmc media). The recovery can be on emmc, bootable SD or Alternate CWM on your verygreen SD. Version 5.5.0.4 for emmc and version 5.5.0.4 and version 6.0.1.2 of a bootable SD are all attached to my post above.

The ROM zip is hard coded to install to the partitioned verygreen SD. I have built in checks in the installer to make sure you have the verygreen SD in the slot and it has been partitioned. It can even have an old CM ROM on it as the installer will format the system and data partitions on the SD in preparation of putting the stock ROM on it. But anything you have on the SDCARD partition (p4) is left intact.

After flashing the stock ROM, you will have to go through B&N registration just like you would if it were installed to emmc. But be warned if someone else previously registered the device with B&N, you can't register it yourself unless the prior owner has de-registered it. The prior user can de-register it by logging into their B&N account on the web and selecting "erase and de-register" for that device under their account settings. B&N tracks the device by serial number and it will display the same serial number as it would on emmc. If you can't or don't want to register with B&N, see my item A14 above for instructions on how to skip registration. It just means you will not be able to buy books or apps from B&N.

After you have successfully registered the software on SD, you can move the SD to another device with a different serial number and it still works. I'm not sure of the long term implications with B&N of doing that. You may run into trouble when ordering new books or software through their store.

And here is even more good news. I was able to modify GMPOWER's Manual Nooter 5.08.20 zip to also work on the verygreen SD. So now you can have rooted stock on SD. I have contacted GMPOWER and he is ok with me posting a link to a server where I have placed the modified zip. Thanks, GMPOWER.

And I have prepared a zip to add the dalingrin OC kernel and apps2SD support to rooted stock on SD. And I added a zip to block updates even if you choose not to root.

So the procedure to get this working is to prepare a verygreen SD using the image file attached to my SD installation instructions thread here (generic-sdcard...). Then boot it at least once with the SD in the Nook so the SD can partition itself. If you have an existing verygreen SD prepared, you can skip these two steps.

Download and copy the zip files linked below to your internal storage (emmc media). Boot to recovery and insert the prepared verygreen SD into the Nook. Find the ROM zip on internal storage and install it. It will automatically get put on the SD. It will first format the system and data partitions on the SD and then install the ROM. Boot to the SD and the new stock ROM should load.

Follow the directions to register with B&N. Once you have registered you can stop there if you are satisfied with plain stock. Let B&N finish uploading their free books to you before you do anything else. This could take several minutes depending on your internet speed. If you decide to stay with unrooted stock, be warned that if B&N decides to automatically update you to a new version in the future, it may mess up whatever you have installed on emmc. Therefore I recommend that you install the Block Updates zip which blocks OTA updates. If you install Manual Nooter you do not have to install Block Updates separately since it is included in Manual Nooter.

To install Block Updates, Manual Nooter or OC/apps2SD support, install the zips to the SD with recovery just like you did the ROM. If you install Manual Nooter, it has gapps and Market with it so you must register them with Google. And you need root if you want to use the OC and apps2SD support, plus you will need a program like SetCPU to adjust the processor.

You can get the modified 1.4.3 B&N stock ROM zip here, the modified Manual Nooter zip here, the modified OC/apps2SD zip here, and the modified Block Updates zip here (all four modified for verygreen SD installation).

B 12. SD Card Quality

There has been a lot of discussion among Nook Color users about quality of SD cards needed to run a ROM. The consensus has been that SanDisk Class 4 cards work the best. (I have also found that the new SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards work really well too.) The issue is that the card needs fast random small file read/write ability. And other brand cards, even if rated a higher class, do not fair well with this attribute. The symptoms of a bad card are sluggish performance, apps force closing and general lock-ups. There has been a lot of benchmarking of various brand and speed classes in a thread here.

Attachments

• AlternateCWM-SDInstalls-Rev2-v6.0.1.2.rar
    4.8 MB · Views: 7,758
  • update-stockemmc-vold-fstab-modified-for-partition4.zip
    127.6 KB · Views: 369
  • update-stockemmc-vold-fstab-return-to-stock.zip
    127.6 KB · Views: 381
  • NookColor-verygreenSD-format-both-systemanddata.zip
    262 KB · Views: 430
  • NookColor-verygreenSD-format-system.zip
    261.7 KB · Views: 326
  • NookColor-verygreenSD-format-data.zip
    261.7 KB · Views: 312
  • NookColor-emmc-or-verygreenSD-wipecache.zip
    263.6 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:

bowguy

May 7, 2012
Ventura
After I burned your modified Verygreen image file I used EaseUS Partition Master to set the partition to whatever size you need. I then copied the CM9 zip and the gapps zip into the boot directory as well as your modified CMW files. Worked great.

Last edited:

jicama

Oct 11, 2011
A couple of things I've found recently:

1. To make ADB over USB work with the NC on Linux, I needed to run

Code:
mkdir -p ~/.android && echo 0x2080 > ~/.android/adb_usb.ini && adb kill-server && adb devices

(Found at nookdevs)

2. To modify a stock image so you can flash it from CWM and still have CWM on the emmc, you need to modify one file in the zip: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

First change line 1 to

Code:
assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "zoom2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "zoom2" || getprop("ro.product.overall.name") == "NOOKcolor" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "encore" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "encore") ;

Then from the bottom of the file, delete the lines

Code:
package_extract_file("kernel-recovery", "/boot/uRecImg");

and

Code:
package_extract_file("ramdisk-recovery.img", "/boot/uRecRam");

I found the first edit here; the second I figured out for myself after I missed it the first time and needed to re-install CWM.

Hope this is useful to someone.

RevTom

Jun 5, 2012
Thanks for your many posts all over the forum.

I am a noob, and you've helped. I had a question about your post here.

I see you did this in April. Do newer builds of CM9 automatically fix the naming problem with the nightlies?

As far as I know, I downloaded a January version, and then added a nightly, and I think the nightly installed correctly.

Thanks!

I just keep hacking away...

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Thanks for your many posts all over the forum.

I am a noob, and you've helped. I had a question about your post here.

I see you did this in April. Do newer builds of CM9 automatically fix the naming problem with the nightlies?

As far as I know, I downloaded a January version, and then added a nightly, and I think the nightly installed correctly.

Thanks!

I just keep hacking away...
Depends on where you get your nightly. If you get it at sphsolutions, it is named properly (update-) and will install with the January edition of the image. If you get it at techerrata, they are named cm- and will not install unless you rename to update- or use my new image.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk

2kst

Jun 15, 2011
Kernersville, NC
I was able to bring a new nook color out of a boot loop using your CWM (5.5.0.4)! Thanks so much for taking the time do document / post this information and the clear/concise way it is done.
Thanks again.

Reactions: bmar08

cvhovey

Jan 1, 2010
I have no idea what happened. One day my NC was fine. Next time I tried to use it, it varies from bootloop to a dead screen. On rare occasions it will boot, but I get various gapps throwing me f/c right and left.

Let's see, I'm on an older CM7 nightly from a couple months back ... I believe nightly cm_encore_full-253m.zip.

Anyway, I've tried various things from formatting system, cache, etc ... but all fail. I've tried the New Bootable CWM Recovery SD (A10) as well as the CWM update (A8), but not solving anything. Though the CWM update appears to install, it changes nothing as when I get back into recovery, I'm still on the old 3.2.0.1. I've tried to install 7.2 and though it appears to go through the install process okay (i.e. no errors), when I'm infrequently able to reboot nothing has changed.

I've tried the 8 interrupted boots to no avail ... possibly because the boot process fluctuates from going to recovery or bootlooping or black screen or succeeding ... so the 8 step process just doesn't work.

Its though something (system, emmc, or ???) has corrupted and locked me into where I was without allowing anything new to install or change?

Any other suggestions on what I can do to wipe, go back to factory 1.0.1 stock, and start over? The restore procedures that I have seen require formatting system, cache, etc. but as far as I can tell, noting is actually formatting anything.

I'm usually able to back my way out of any problems, but since I don't know how this issue happened when my NC was fully charged and off ... turning into a battery dead NC for unknown reasons, not sure what next since I'm not making any headway.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have no idea what happened. One day my NC was fine. Next time I tried to use it, it varies from bootloop to a dead screen. On rare occasions it will boot, but I get various gapps throwing me f/c right and left.

Let's see, I'm on an older CM7 nightly from a couple months back ... I believe nightly cm_encore_full-253m.zip.

Anyway, I've tried various things from formatting system, cache, etc ... but all fail. I've tried the New Bootable CWM Recovery SD (A10) as well as the CWM update (A8), but not solving anything. Though the CWM update appears to install, it changes nothing as when I get back into recovery, I'm still on the old 3.2.0.1. I've tried to install 7.2 and though it appears to go through the install process okay (i.e. no errors), when I'm infrequently able to reboot nothing has changed.

I've tried the 8 interrupted boots to no avail ... possibly because the boot process fluctuates from going to recovery or bootlooping or black screen or succeeding ... so the 8 step process just doesn't work.

Its though something (system, emmc, or ???) has corrupted and locked me into where I was without allowing anything new to install or change?

Any other suggestions on what I can do to wipe, go back to factory 1.0.1 stock, and start over? The restore procedures that I have seen require formatting system, cache, etc. but as far as I can tell, noting is actually formatting anything.

I'm usually able to back my way out of any problems, but since I don't know how this issue happened when my NC was fully charged and off ... turning into a battery dead NC for unknown reasons, not sure what next since I'm not making any headway.
It really does sound like nothing is taking. You should have been able to go to the new CWM on emmc. But you are still on the old CWM and your formats fail. So, I suspect that one or more of your partitions got corrupted somehow and everything is read only. I do not know a lot about how to fix those. But others here are very adept at that. DizzyDen for one. You might search xda nook color for info on repairing partitions. I know adb is often used for that. Sorry if I'm not much help, but maybe someday when I learn a little more on how to fix them I can help someone.

Sent from my Nook Color running ICS and Tapatalk

cvhovey

Jan 1, 2010
Thx ... I'll continue searching and try to find something to fix the partitions.

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
One question. What is meant by the term " hard shut down "? I take it that refers to shutting system down using power button ? How else would one accomplish this shut down of the NC ? Uggg I'm such a NOOB ! :eek:

Sent from my SCH-I500 using XDA

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
One question. What is meant by the term " hard shut down "? I take it that refers to shutting system down using power button ? How else would one accomplish this shut down of the NC ? Uggg I'm such a NOOB ! :eek:

Hard powering off means holding the power key for like 15 seconds until the device goes completely off, not just to sleep. A short touch does not turn it off, it just puts it to sleep. If you are in a ROM, the proper way to turn the power completely off is to hold the power button until a menu pops up and you select 'power off'. If you are in CWM you should go to the menu item that says 'reboot' and it will. You want to shut your devices down properly so they finish any tasks they have running before shutting down. It's just like on your PC, you don't unplug the power cord on the PC when it's running, you tell it to shut down with the start menu. Hard powering off is just like pulling the plug on a PC. Sometimes it is necessary if things are locked up, but it is not the preferred way to do it.

Last edited:

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ahh OK. Gotcha ! Love your guide, been using it since I got my NC :)
I'm pretty good at android flashing with phone ( Samsung fascinate running ICS 4.0.4 ! )
One more thing, do I need to do anything special now that I have flashed the CWM 5.0.0.4 recovery ?
Thanks a million. People like you make XDA a treat !! :thumbup:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
One more thing, do I need to do anything special now that I have flashed the CWM 5.0.0.4 recovery ?

No, just leave it there in case you need it in the future. Any time you tell your nook to go to recovery, it will be there waiting.

Reactions: icemanwbs

corvair64

Oct 4, 2010
Okay, I'm REALLY a noob at this...

I have tried my hardest to follow the threads about loading CM7 onto my mSD card in order to allow dual-booting stock (via emmc) and CM 7.2 stable via mSD (an 8GB Samsung class 6), but I feel I really f'd things up.

How I got to here:
1. I tried following this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957
Got to where it should have run the cm-7.2.0-encore.zip, but wouldn't find it.
2. Tried renaming to update-cm-7.2.0-encore.zip, as well as udpatei-cm-7.2.0-encore.zip.
3. Started reading more (didn't do that at first because it seemed complete enough).
4. Found your posts towards the end saying things have changed and to go to your tips page, so I did.
5. Read that I should use CWM 5.5.0.4-bootable_SD.img instead WITH SDCard-BootFiles-Rev3.
6. Ran Win32DiskImager with CWM 5.5.0.4...img to image the mSD.
7. copied the Rev3 files into the mSD as well as the cm-7.2.0.encore.zip.
8. inserted the mSD into the NookColor.
9. Booted into CWM.
10. selected the cm-7.2.0-encore.zip and said I'm sure.
11. It installed, i rebooted.
12. It looks like it installed onto the emmc as all my old settings are still there (wireless networks, etc.).
13. Immediately started force closing some process apps.

Now what? I feel I'm in a bad place and need to get back to having a stock 1.4.2 NC on the emmc and CM7 (stable) on SD. Maybe I missed a step (as great as the effort has been to get all this automated and setup, I feel it's still not straight forward enough for me :( ). Any and all help is appreciated.

P.S. Also, Is see CM9 mentioned, but no links as to where to get it for the NC (No encore build either). Is this still beta? If so, I'll stick with CM7 for now.

Thanks again in advance.

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
I have tried my hardest to follow the threads about loading CM7 onto my mSD card in order to allow dual-booting stock (via emmc) and CM 7.2 stable via mSD (an 8GB Samsung class 6), but I feel I really f'd things up.

How I got to here:
1. I tried following this thread:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1000957
Got to where it should have run the cm-7.2.0-encore.zip, but wouldn't find it.
2. Tried renaming to update-cm-7.2.0-encore.zip, as well as udpatei-cm-7.2.0-encore.zip.
3. Started reading more (didn't do that at first because it seemed complete enough).
4. Found your posts towards the end saying things have changed and to go to your tips page, so I did.
5. Read that I should use CWM 5.5.0.4-bootable_SD.img instead WITH SDCard-BootFiles-Rev3.
6. Ran Win32DiskImager with CWM 5.5.0.4...img to image the mSD.
7. copied the Rev3 files into the mSD as well as the cm-7.2.0.encore.zip.
8. inserted the mSD into the NookColor.
9. Booted into CWM.
10. selected the cm-7.2.0-encore.zip and said I'm sure.
11. It installed, i rebooted.
12. It looks like it installed onto the emmc as all my old settings are still there (wireless networks, etc.).
13. Immediately started force closing some process apps.

Now what? I feel I'm in a bad place and need to get back to having a stock 1.4.2 NC on the emmc and CM7 (stable) on SD. Maybe I missed a step (as great as the effort has been to get all this automated and setup, I feel it's still not straight forward enough for me :( ). Any and all help is appreciated.

P.S. Also, Is see CM9 mentioned, but no links as to where to get it for the NC (No encore build either). Is this still beta? If so, I'll stick with CM7 for now.

Thanks again in advance.
Ok, your first mistake was copying the rev 3 boot files to the CWM SD. You should have copied them to the verygreen SD. That way it upgrades the older version to my newest version so it reads the newly named files correctly. And if you wanted CM 7.2 on SD you should have copied that zip there too. (You probably wiped out your verygreen SD to make the CWM SD and that caused your confusion.)

The second mistake was when you used my CWM SD to flash the CM 7.2. It put it on emmc replacing your stock. And if you do that you should have done a factory reset first as the apps as installed on stock do not work well on CM7. That's why you are getting the force closings.

If you want to keep CM7 on emmc, just boot to my CWM card and do a factory reset. That clears out the apps as installed by stock. That also means you will have to install all your apps again. Also you should install gapps. Go to goo.im/gapps and select the latest gingerbread version, download it and flash with my CWM card.

If you are happy with CM7 on emmc, you should flash CWM to your emmc so you don't need my card anymore (see the last paragraph in my item B1 for instructions 'get the flashable version here') Then you can reformat the CWM card to use as a data card for your emmc installed CM 7.2.

If you truly want to return to stock on emmc and CM7.2 on SD, let me know and I will walk you through it. It is a lot more work.

Also CM9 is available but is still in development. If you want that I can direct you to that too.

Last edited:

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
New question. In settings/battery use.....it shows " PHONE IDLE " 40%....and "CELL STANDBY" 30%.....since obviously we don't need these, how do I get rid of them ??? Lol; :eek:

icemanwbs

Aug 25, 2011
Pennsylvania
Help. I flashed cm9 onto SD card. ( from cm7 ). Said was successful, then when I went to re boot, on boot menu, I chose" SD Card Normal" and now its just stuck there. :(

OK....I got it to boot into cm9...! :D. Now screen becomes unresponsive while in use and I have to keep re booting.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

leapinlar

Oct 18, 2006
Help. I flashed cm9 onto SD card. ( from cm7 ). Said was successful, then when I went to re boot, on boot menu, I chose" SD Card Normal" and now its just stuck there. :(

OK....I got it to boot into cm9...! :D. Now screen becomes unresponsive while in use and I have to keep re booting.
Sent from my SCH-I500 using xda app-developers app
Sometimes it is necessary to wipe things when going from CM7 to CM9. That is difficult to do with the SD install. I recommend you go to my item B5 in my tips thread and install the alternate CWM that has been modified to work with SD installs. You can do a factory reset with that and it cleans up the SD. Also wipe system with it. It will not effect emmc. You may want to backup with Titanium Backup first to save your installed apps. Then reinstall the rom and restore your apps with Tibu.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    At the request of a user I am creating this thread to consolidate my tips for the Nook Color that are spread out over several other threads. Check back occasionally as I may add more tips to this post. (Note: This tip post got so large that I had to split it into two posts so that XDA would let me post changes. See the next post in this tread for the continuation.) See the change log in my second post.

Most of these were developed for CyanogenMod versions 7, 9, and 10, but some may work on other ROMs. These tips are in no particular order, except that general tips are in section A and SD tips are in section B.

I know this is a long post (I have been accused by one user of being 'long-winded'), but you do not have to read all of it (unless you want to). Just scan the headings and read those that apply to your issue. I think the most useful tips for users having problems are A8, A9, A10, A11 and A12. For SD users it is item B2, which points to the latest SD image file.

A. GENERAL TIPS THAT WORK ON CM7, CM9, or CM10

A 1. Put some settings in /data to avoid losing them in a ROM flash

Many things can be added to the /data directory to customize how CM operates. By adding the things there, they survive a flash of a new ROM since new ROM flashing usually only effects /system.

You can create a new text file named local.prop and put it into /data. That file can contain anything that normally can be put into build.prop in /system. It is loaded after the build.prop file is loaded so in some cases it can override settings in build.prop.

You can create a new folder in /data/local named userinit.d. In that folder you can place script files that you want to run at boot time. An example of a script that works is the script to make the SD boot partition show up on your system for SD installed CM. That is described later.

You can put a custom boot animation in /data/local and it will override any boot animation that is included with your ROM in /system.

You can set some system properties by putting entries in a folder named /data/property. For example, if you want to skip the boot animation at boot time, create a text file named persist.sys.nobootanimation and place the value 1 in it. Then the animation is turned off. If you want to re-enable it, change the value to 0.

In some of these files it is important to set the permissions correctly in order for them to work. For example, any scripts in the userinit.d folder must have their permission set to execute or they will not execute at boot time.

A 2. Dalvik Cache, what it is, how it works.

Dalvik cache is a method that android uses to speed up operations. There are two dalvik caches. One in /cache (for system apps) and one in /data (for installed apps). Clearing dalvik cache with recovery clears both. Clearing /cache will clear the dalvik cache in /cache but not the one in /data.

In flashing new ROMs, the only one really needing clearing is the one in /cache since only new system apps are installed in a ROM flash. Also only clearing the one in /cache makes it boot faster since the nook does not need to rebuild the one in /data for your installed apps which have not changed.

I have described how the cache works and a tip on how to speed up booting for SD installs here. The tip is repeated in section B3 in the second post of this thread.

A 3. Wiping in preparation of a new ROM flash.

Ordinarily if you are moving from one nightly to another nightly of the same rom, just wipe dalvik cache with Clockworkmod (CWM) Recovery.

If you are moving from one type of rom to another, it is best to do a "wipe data/factory reset". A factory reset wipes /data, /cache and clears any apps you installed to SD. The rest of your media data on emmc or SD is left intact. Since a factory reset clears both /data and /cache, there is no need to separately clear /cache or dalvik-cache. A factory reset means you will lose all settings and installed apps. So, before you do a factory reset, you may want to backup your apps with a program like Titanium Backup so you can restore them later without re-installing. If you have one of the newer Nook Colors with the new partition layout, you need to have version 3.2.0.1 or newer of CWM or the factory reset will not complete properly.

The new rom automatically wipes /system as part of the installation, so you should not have to ordinarily wipe that.

Never wipe /boot. It will remove your stock or CWM recovery and you may end up in a bootloop. Or worse yet, since it removes the boot files, it will not turn on at all unless there is a bootable SD in the SD slot.

When flashing a stock ROM, I have found that for some reason CWM does not wipe clean enough and the new ROM stalls. I have found that I have to flash my format partitions 5, 6, and 7 zip as described in my item A15 below. In fact, anytime you are switching from one kind of ROM to another it might be a good idea to use that zip first.

A 4. Freeze/Block applications

There may be times when you want system installed apps to be removed from your system. Do not just delete them from /system. You may find later that you want them back and also deleting them may cause your system to lock up. You can use third party apps like Titanium Backup Pro (not free) or Gemini Application Manager (free) to freeze/block the apps you don't want. These apps change an entry in a system database that tells the system to ignore those apps. They will not be loaded into memory or listed in your app drawer. With these third party apps you can do this to any app. For CM9/CM10 you can do the same thing for system apps in Settings/Apps. Just open the system app and select disable. You can always enable it later. But this only works for system apps.

A 5. Sleep of Death (SOD) on CM7 and CM9

SOD has been a problem with CM for a long time. If you leave your wifi set to stay on all the time and the device goes into deep sleep, it sometimes will not wake back up. There is apparently some interaction between waking up and wifi that locks it up. The device is on but you cannot get the screen to come back on. The only way to get out of it once it is locked is to hard power off by holding the power button for like 15 seconds and then releasing the power button and pressing again to power back on. For CM7 the work around is a modified wifi kernel module (twlan_drv.ko) in /system/lib/modules. (Get it here). The devs have built in the mods to the CM9 kernel so the revised module is not necessary in CM9.

A 6. ADB on CM9/CM10

For some reason that I do not understand, the device id (which is normally 2080:0002) is changed for CM9/CM10 in Windows. That means the adb composite drivers do not install properly and adb does not work. When you turn on USB debugging and plug your USB cable to your PC, Windows says it is looking for MTP drivers, but is really looking for adb drivers. I have explained how to fix that here.

A 7. Soft Navigation Keys in CM9 in Phone GUI

In both CM7 and standard CM9 the status bar is at the bottom of the screen and has soft navigation keys built in. In CM7 when you change screen density to a higher value, the status bar does not change. However in CM9, when you change density higher than the standard 160 dpi, the GUI switches to the phone mode and puts the status bar at the top like a normal android phone. The downside is that the soft navigation keys normally displayed on the bottom of the screen are suppressed. To get them activated just add a couple of lines to your properties file. See my post here.

A 8. Recovery bootloops

There is sometimes a mysterious bootloop issue where no matter what a user does, the Nook bootloops on booting. This is usually caused by a corrupt or missing recovery itself or by missing or corrupt files in partition 2 (/rom). No matter what the user chooses in the boot menu, it tries to find a working recovery to boot to. If it finds one, it boots to it. If it cannot find a working one, it boots to a blank screen or just a stuck "loading". Even if you put one of the older bootable CWM SDs in the slot, it still gets stuck since those older CWM SDs do not contain normal recovery files, just special bootable files.

There is a flag file in the /rom partition that tells the Nook to boot into recovery. ROM Manager uses that flag file to tell the system to boot to recovery when the user selects that option. And it tries to boot there no matter what the user tells it to do in the boot menu. After it successfully boots into recovery, recovery resets that flag file as it exits normally with the menu choice. So next time it boots it boots normally.

Sometimes that flag never gets reset, usually because there is no working recovery to reset it. So it continues to try to boot to recovery.

And sometimes it could be a missing or corrupted file on your /rom partition. In a folder in /rom (/devconf), several device specific information files are stored. One of those files (DeviceID), is critical to your device booting to a rom. If it is missing or corrupted the Nook will always try to boot to recovery so that it can repair itself. See my description of this problem in item A12 below.

If you boot to a blank screen or a stuck "loading" no matter which option you choose, it usually means a corrupt or missing recovery. If you boot to recovery repeatedly no matter which option you choose, it usually means a corrupted /rom partition.

To fix a corrupted or missing recovery on emmc, use my new CWM recovery SD I have detailed in my item A10 below. This SD has been modified to include the normal recovery files in addition to the special bootable CWM files there so that it can boot into recovery in this kind of failure. Just prepare the SD as described in item A10 below and turn off the Nook and insert the SD. Boot and the new CWM should appear. Sometimes just exiting that CWM immediately with the menu choice will get you out of the loop so you can boot to your ROM. But you probably still need to put a good recovery on emmc. Flash one of the stock recovery versions I have attached to this post below, or the new version of CWM (5.5.0.4) for emmc by Racks, also attached below (thanks Racks for the CWM). I recommend that you flash my stock recovery with CWM 5.5.0.4 as alternate version. That will put stock recovery as the normal recovery and the new CWM as an alternate recovery. That way if the nook decides it needs to repair partition 2, it can (see item A12 below for a description of that). And you can still get to CWM by booting to the alternate choice with the boot menu or holding volume up/down while booting. (The only downside I can think of using this zip is ROM Manager can no longer be used to flash things, it needs CWM as the normal recovery.)

You should probably save the CWM bootable SD for future use. You can use it to nandroid backup to the emmc media partition, factory reset and flash new ROMs to emmc as well as getting out of future bootloops.

To fix the issue of a corrupted /rom partition, go to my partition repair thread here or use the romrestore utility attached to this post. See item A12 for a description of romrestore.

For those interested in the details, the recovery flag file is named BCB and is in the /rom partition (P2). It is not what is contained in the file that makes a difference, it is the file size. If the file is 512 bytes or larger, the Nook will boot normally. If the file is less than 512 bytes or is MISSING or unreadable, it boots to recovery. And the DeviceID file in /rom/devconf is a 17 byte text file containing your 16 digit serial number followed by a linefeed.

A 9. Bootable SD Cards

An SD card must be formatted in a very specific way before the Nook Color will boot from the SD. The first partition must begin exactly on the 63rd sector of the card and the flags properly set.

It is very difficult using normal formatting programs and partition managers to make that happen. That is why devs include burnable images to burn to the cards if they are to be bootable. Examples include eyeballer's bootable CWM card, verygreen's SD installer card, racks' dual boot SD card and my new bootable CWM version 5.5.0.4 in item A10 below. They have the images all set up so that when burned properly the first partition is configured so it can boot.

But even when using these images they do not always work if they are not burned to the card properly. The cards may be readable in the PC, but do not always boot in the Nook. In Windows, most devs recommend using winimage or win32diskimager (here, it's free) run in administrator mode. Also if using winimage, do not select "write disk", select "Restore Virtual Disk Image to physical drive". In Linux or OSX, use the "dd" command. And they recommend using an external USB reader rather than any built in readers in the PC. Sometimes it is just the card you are using causing the problem. And sometimes you can get them to boot if you plug your stock USB cable and powered off Nook into your PC. Wait a few seconds and it might boot.

Don't give up, keep trying. It eventually should work if you have the SD prepared properly.

A 10. New Bootable CWM Recovery SD (v5.5.0.4 and now v6.0.1.2)

I have created a new bootable CWM SD and attached a zip of the image to this post (CWM-5.5.0.4-bootable_SD.zip). It is version 5.5.0.4 and is to be used for flashing/wiping/backing up emmc. To create the SD just unzip the image file and burn it to your SD with win32diskimager (here, it's free). Since it is only 200MB it can be put on a very small SD. Also since it is so small there is no room to make backups there. However, this version of CWM will let you backup to internal (emmc) media storage. But there should be plenty of room to put flashable zips on the SD. If you want the partition larger, after burning just use a partitioning program like Mini-Tool Partition Manager to expand it. This version of the bootable SD uses the new Cyanoboot bootloader, so just let it go and it will automatically boot to CWM. When finished using CWM, be sure to exit using the menu choice so that the recovery flag is reset. When you have exited, either keep the SD for future use or reformat it to use for other purposes. Thanks to Racks for the 5.5.0.4 CWM.

This CWM SD can be used for getting out of some recovery flag bootloops as described in item A8 above.

Just added v6.0.1.2 with a little larger partition (300MB). This version should be used if you want to flash the stock ROM from item A15 below. Otherwise, use either version.

For those users that do not want to use CWM, I have make a bootable SD that has an older version of TWRP here. Newer versions of TWRP will return an error message trying to flash my older zips. The image has also been modified to get you out of some bootloops.

A 11. EMMC partition repair

Several users have complained that they get blank screens and cannot flash new roms to their Nook Color. And sometimes they end up in a recovery bootloop where it will do nothing but boot to recovery no matter what they choose in the boot menu. Sometimes this is due to corrupted partitions.

I have developed some tools to help users repair corrupted partitions on emmc. See my thread here.

A 12. B&N stock automatic repairs (Factory reset to stock via 8 failed boots and automatic partition 2 (/rom) repair)

B&N built in two automatic repair utilities for Nook Color systems that were malfunctioning. First, it has a fail safe system that allows it to repair itself if the user was unable to get it to boot 8 times in a row. Second, it has an automatic partition 2 (/rom) repair utility (romrestore).

But both of these repair functions are only available if you still have the stock recovery on emmc. If the user has replaced that recovery with CWM (or TWRP) recovery they will not work. It is OK if CM has been installed on emmc, it is only a problem if CWM was also installed there wiping out the stock recovery. But I have a solution for that. I have attached a zip to this post that will re-install the stock recovery replacing CWM on emmc. And I just added the partition 2 repair zip to it. Now both stock repairs will work. Just flash the zip with CWM recovery (either from emmc or a bootable CWM SD card). I also added a version that will put stock as the normal recovery and CWM 5.5.0.4 as the alternate recovery. Just select it with the boot menu if you want to use it.

Stock recovery looks very different than CWM. If you boot into it (either using power/n keys during boot or the boot menu choice in cyanogen bootloader), a dialog box pops up asking if you want to do a factory reset to wipe all the data on the device. If you say yes it will wipe /data, /cache, and the media partition. If you say no it will reboot.

8 failed boot reset. An image of the system as it came from the factory is stored on one of the partitions (p3). After the 8 failed boots, the stock recovery software is automatically started and wipes all data (including emmc media storage) and restores the system files to original.

This is really handy for rooted stock users who want to either sell the system or return it to B&N. And it is useful if somehow the user cannot get the system to boot to a bootable SD and they want to start over with the stock ROM.

The procedure to follow if you still have stock recovery on emmc is:

(Paraphrased from a post by Harrybub)
    Start with the Nook completely powered off.

Press and hold the power button, the volume up button, and the n button until you see the screen flash. (I have found the best way to do this difficult maneuver is to press n with the thumb of one hand and the power and volume up with the thumb and forefinger of the other hand, griping the top of the device.)

Release all buttons for one second then press and hold only the power button for several seconds until the Nook powers down. (Backlight off) This works best in dim lighting.

Do this again for a total of 8 times in a row.

The last time a screen will come up saying it is clearing your data and installing the factory image (which is stored as factory.zip on partition 3). You will be back to what it was when it came out of the box.

If you mess up the timing and it starts to boot up you will have to power it down again and start over at count one.

Of course if you can still flash things using CWM, it is probably easier to just flash a stock zip than to do the 8 failed boot procedure. But I wanted users to understand the process in case it was their only option. See item A15 below for flashing stock ROMs with CWM.

Automatic partition 2 repair utility. This repair utility will automatically repair partition 2 (/rom) if it thinks it is necessary. In partition 2 is a folder (/devconf) that holds vital system configuration files that the Nook needs like serial numbers and boot counts to help it decide to do the 8 failed boots described above. Every time the Nook boots, it checks the integrity of that folder and if it thinks it needs repair, it tries to repair it.

The test that it uses is it looks for a specific file in devconf named DeviceID. It is a text file that contains your 16 digit serial number followed by a linefeed (17 bytes total). On boot, if the that file is corrupted or missing, stock recovery is automatically invoked and runs a zip file named romrestore.zip that is in /boot. That zip looks in partition 3 (/factory) for a file named rombackup.zip. That file is a backup of your devconf folder from partition 2 that was made at system manufacture. If the backup file is found, the repair zip first formats partition 2 and then copies those backed up files from partition 3 back to your partition 2. It then continues the boot process booting to the installed ROM.

Partition 2 repair bootloop. This last repair utility is how some recovery bootloops happen. The user replaces the stock recovery with CWM recovery as part of putting a new ROM on emmc. Then when the system boots, it checks for integrity of partition 2 and if it thinks it needs repair, it tries to boot to stock recovery to do the repair. But stock recovery is no longer there. So it boots to CWM recovery and does nothing. No matter what the user does, it keeps trying to find stock recovery. Hence a bootloop.

There are three ways to get out of this loop.

You can flash a new stock rom on emmc. It will reinstall the stock recovery and repair zip as part of the installation. Then it can find that stock recovery on boot and repair itself. But you have to use a stock zip file that has been modified so that CWM can flash it. See my item A15 below for a link to a version of stock 1.4.3 that has been modified to be CWM flashable.

Or you could flash my stock recovery zip mentioned above. I just modified it to include the repair zip. In fact, you might want to flash my stock recovery zip that has CWM as an alternate recovery. I have included the CM bootloader with it so that you can use the boot menu to get to the alternate CWM. By using the stock recovery as normal recovery, the Nook can repair partition 2 any time it thinks it is necessary. And it is ready any time someone wants to use the 8 failed boot procedure.

Or you can flash one of my versions of the partition 2 repair utility. I have two. Romrestore (CWM flashable) is attached to this post. This romrestore zip is the stock version modified so it is flashable with CWM. It does not recreate the partition, it just repairs the files there. The other version is in my EMMC partition repair thread here and actually recreates the partition before it repairs the files. Once either of these are flashed successfully, and the Nook boots, the system should not find any errors in partition 2 and it should boot normally.

A 13. Nook Color Charging/Battery

The Nook Color charging adapter and cable have been custom made for charging the Nook. First the charging block has the data pins (d+/d-) shorted. Second the charging/USB cable has a special connector on the Nook Color end of the cable. It sort of looks like a standard microUSB connector but it is not. It has been elongated to add a second row of pins behind of the standard microUSB pins. Those extra pins mate with similar extra pins in the connector inside the Nook Color. Among other things, those extra pins give the cable more charging capacity. (For those interested, the pinout has been recently traced by a user and documented here.)

The charging circuitry inside the Nook Color looks for those conditions of the charging block (shorted d+/d-) and the extra pins in the connector. If it finds both of those conditions it allows for full charging capacity of the Nook Color (about 1.9A). The Nook Color will charge quite rapidly at that current. However if it does not find both of those conditions, it will think it is connected to a USB port and limit charging current accordingly (about .5A). This can take a while to fully charge the Nook Color (especially if the screen is on at the same time.) The charging circuitry does this for all ROMs. (Edit: There is also a third possibility. If you use a shorted d+/d- charger and a standard microSD cable it will charge at about half rate (about 1A). Thanks bobtidey for that tip.)

It is possible to use third party charging blocks with the data pins shorted along with the stock cable and you can still get full charging capacity.

But standard microUSB cables work great for data transfer between the Nook Color and your PC. And they can be used for limited charging with the USB port of your PC. Your PC usually limits that to .5A anyway.

Using the stock cable frequently sometimes leads to cable failure issues since the stock cable is so fragile. I got one replaced under warranty by B&N. But I finally bought a spare B&N power charging kit at Office Depot for $25. It included the charging adapter and cable. I have since found that the B&N kits are available online by many vendors. I have seen them as low as $12.95. Do a search for ADP-H01 and you will see many.

Several users have complained of battery problems. Their percentage varies all over the place and the device shuts down unexpectedly. My advise usually is to try a wipe battery stats from CWM. There is a lot of controversy in the community whether that really does anything useful. A few "experts" have said it does nothing and is only a placebo. And it has been removed from newer versions of CWM and TWRP. Another thing to try is to delete the max17042.bin file from /rom. Don't worry, it will get rebuilt on the next boot.

One of the users on this forum (catawalks) ran across an article about use and care of lithium ion batteries. There is a lot of good advice there that is not common knowledge. The user learned that how he was treating his battery was almost guaranteed to make it fail. (He was leaving it discharged for long periods of time then recharging fully and storing again.) You can read the article here (thanks catawalks for the link).

For those having an unusual battery drain while the unit is sleeping and want to find out what is causing it, get BetterBatteryStats here. This app is free if obtained here on XDA but costs on the Play Store. It tracks what are called "wakelocks". Those are applied when specific applications want to keep the Nook awake while it performs tasks in the background. They bring the system temporarily out of deep sleep. Of course your system uses more battery while this happens. Look at the wakelock information this app displays to get an idea what is keeping your Nook awake.

A 14. Skip Oobe (Out-of-Box Experience) for stock Nook Colors

If people are having trouble registering their stock Nook Colors, mateorod discovered a documented procedure where you can skip the registration step including setting up wifi. Just go here and follow the instructions. It even explains how to factory reset so that all data is wiped from the device. Thanks mateorod!

A 15. Flashing stock ROMs with CWM

Ordinarily stock ROM zips downloaded from B&N cannot be flashed to emmc with CWM. You must use the stock recovery to flash them. However, the zip can be modified to make it flashable with CWM. You can get a stock version 1.4.3 zip that I have modified to be flashable with CWM here or DizzyDen's older 1.4.1 stock zips here. The zip files are so large that it is best to use either the 6.0.1.2 CWM or the 2.1.8 TWRP bootable SDs from item A10 above. If you are coming from a CM ROM, I have found that I first need to format my partitions with the format 5-6-7 zip (formats /system, /data and /cache) that I attached to this post. If I just did a wipe with CWM, the stock rom would hang on boot for some reason. (And if you are interested in putting the stock ROM on SD, I have instructions in section B below).

A 16. Swapping Internal and External Media Storage

In CM7 there used to be a setting that would allow users to swap internal and external SDs. This was useful for users that had no external SDs and wanted their apps to use internal memory as SDCARD. Starting with CM9, CM changed it so the setting was no longer in settings, but was moved to the CMParts app. And now the CMParts app has been removed. But users can make manual modifications to activate the swap.

There are two ways to do it. One is to edit /system/build.prop to add this line:

persist.sys.vold.switchexternal=1

The second way is to add a property file to /data/property. That way it sticks with a ROM upgrade. Add this file:

persist.sys.vold.switchexternal

And insert the value 1 (with no carriage return) in the file.

After making one of these edits, just reboot and they should be swapped. To return to normal just change the 1 to 0 and reboot again.

But there is a problem with some early versions of CM10.1 and CM10.2 that prevents this from working properly. It has been fixed in the current builds. But if you are running an older version, you can fix it yourself by editing this line:

ro.vold.switchablepair=/mnt/emmc,/mnt/sdcard

to

ro.vold.switchablepair=/storage/sdcard0,/storage/sdcard1

-----
    Go to my next post in this thread for Section B. TIPS THAT APPLY TO THE VERYGREEN SD INSTALL OF CM.
    -----

If you have questions or comments just respond to the thread.
    Change Log and SD Tips

CHANGE LOG

09/22/13 - Added A 16 Swapping Internal and External Media Storage
    11/23/12 - Added description in B1 on how to use my SD formatting zips
    11/02/12 - Added 1.4.3 Stock ROM modified for verygreen SD installation (B11)
    10/29/12 - Added verygreen SD formatting zips to the attachments in post two
    10/26/12 - Retitled section B3 "Dual Booting" and added more information
    10/23/12 - Updated Alternate CWM for SDs to v6.0.1.2 in item B5 and added a v6.0.1.2 bootable SD to item A10 and attached them both.
    10/20/12 - Added information about not powering up after a wiped /boot partition to section A3
    10/17/12 - Added link to updated SD installation instructions to section B2 and updated the SD installation image to Rev 5 to fix a CM10 issue
    09/16/12 - Split out 'Flashing stock ROMs with CWM' to it's own item A15
    08/21/12 - The verygreen SD installation image was updated to Rev 4 to accommodate JB zips and larger /data partitions in section B2
    08/10/12 - Added a corrected version of the Alternate CWM for SD installs to section B5
    08/09/12 - Added BetterBatteryStats link to section A13 and link to Taosaur's simplified SD installation guide to section B1
    08/04/12 - Edited section A8 to clean up and include the latest information about recovery bootloops
    08/03/12 - Added a modified version of the stock romrestore utility
    07/30/12 - Added description of stock automatic partition 2 repair utility (romrestore) to section A12
    07/28/12 - Added Skip Oobe (Out-of-Box Experience) for stock Nook Colors to section A
    07/24/12 - Added Nook Color Charging to section A
    07/11/12 - Added Factory reset with 8 failed boots to section A
    07/08/12 - Added Emmc partition repair to section A, split tips into two posts
    06/26/12 - Added How the verygreen SD works to section B
    06/16/12 - Updated 'SDboot" to Rev 2 to make it easier to use Goo Manager with verygreen SD installs
    06/13/12 - Released Rev 3 of the verygreen image for installing CM to SD, correcting an error introduced in Rev 2
    06/10/12 - Described how to get out of some recovery flag bootloops (item A8)
    06/03/12 - Added CWM 5.5.0.4 bootable SD
    06/01/12 - Added Bootable SD cards
    05/28/12 - Softkey patch no longer needed
    05/18/12 - Added info about customizing navigation bar in phone gui mode.
    05/14/12 - Added Recovery Flag bootloops
    05/13/12 - Added warning about needing to use new CWM with newer Nook Colors
    05/09/12 - Edited Revised SD Image for CM9 to indicate new script prepared
    05/02/12 - Added Verygreen SD vs. Racks dual boot SD
    04/30/12 - Added NookColorUMS for CM7 and CM9
    04/27/12 - Added Using ROM Manager with SD installs

-----

B. TIPS THAT APPLY TO THE VERYGREEN SD INSTALL OF CM

B 1. Installation of CM on SD vs EMMC

How CM is installed for verygreen SDs is significantly different than for installing to internal memory (emmc).

Emmc (Embedded MultiMedia Card) installs are controlled by an installation script built into the zip itself. The zips are hard coded to install to specific partitions on emmc. CWM recovery is used to install to emmc and CWM turns over installation of the zip to that script built into the zip.

For verygreen SD installs there is no CWM recovery, just verygreen's script built into the boot partition. A properly named install zip (update-... cm-.... diff_... or gapps...) must be copied to the boot partition. Installation is controlled by his special script. It takes over installation of the zip, mostly ignoring the script built into the zip itself. It does not backup gapps or format /system. It just copies the new system files over the top of the existing files. Therefore if gapp or other files not in the zip were already there, they are still there and not modified.

Since the script installer does not format anything before installing a new ROM, sometimes it is a good idea to clear things out first. Or maybe your installation is acting up and you want to start fresh without formatting the whole card and losing your media files. You could use the modified Alternate CWM for SD (see item B5 below) to do it, but not everyone has installed that on their SD. So I have prepared and attached some zips as an alternate (and I think cleaner) way to wipe your SD partitions. They can be flashed with any recovery (on emmc or SD) since they are hard coded to format those partitions on SD that are named in the zip title. They have safety checks built in to make sure that you have your partitioned verygreen SD in the slot before they will attempt to format anything. If you are just installing a fresh nightly and you want to keep your data, just wipe system and cache (but that means you need to re-install gapps too). If you are having operational problems and want to keep the same ROM, just wipe data and cache. Or if you are putting on a completely different ROM, wipe system, data and cache.

If you do somehow get into CWM recovery on emmc, be warned that most things you do with it (like flashing or wiping) will happen to emmc, not the SD (except for those zips I just mentioned above). And if you are using older versions of CWM, it will try to place any nandroid backup files to the boot partition of the SD. There is not room there so it will fail. A work around is to use the new CWM recovery (version 5.5.0.4) that allows you to back up to the emmc media partition. Get a flashable zip to install the new CWM to emmc here or attached to the post above. The TWRP recovery also saves backups to internal storage. Get the latest version here. Or you could flash the stock recovery with CWM 5.5.0.4 as Alternate also attached to the post above.

For more information on SD installs, look at my post here.

For those wanting a simplified guide for installing CM7 to SD go Taosaur's excellent blog here. It also works well if you want to install CM9 or CM10 to SD. Just substitute CM9 or CM10 wherever it says CM7. I also have an updated SD installation instruction thread for CM9 and CM10 linked in my signature.

B 2. Revised verygreen SD image file for CM9/CM10

The original image file created by verygreen is an amazing thing. But for CM9/CM10 it has three problems. First, the boot partition is too small to accommodate the larger CM9 install zips. Second there is a problem of duplication of apps included in CM9 and gapps.And third, the naming standard by CM has changed. It no longer begins with update-. That means the existing install script will no longer recognize or install a new nightly when it is copied to the boot partition. Users must rename the file to start with update- if they want the existing install script to work. I have modified the install script to now also install nightlies if they begin with the new standard (cm-). I also added to the script the ability to recognize the new prefix (diff_) that is used by the new Goo Manager program to make an incremental update to an existing ROM. The new script will continue to recognize and install zips beginning with update- to provide backward compatibility. My modified image/script now fixes all these problems. I updated the image to Rev 5 to make it 300MB to accommodate the larger CM10 and JB gapps zips and to make the /data partitions larger for 8 GB and larger SD cards. You can read more about this here. Updated installation instructions for putting CM9/CM10 on SD have been posted along with the latest image here.

B 3. Setting up dual booting on the Nook Color

Dual booting is a really nice feature of the Nook Color. There are three ways that I know of to accomplish dual booting.

a. Leave emmc with one ROM and put one ROM on SD using verygreen's method. This is the scheme I use and recommend for users. This is the one that most of these tips in section B apply to.

b. Leave emmc with one ROM and use a dual boot SD install by Racks where two ROMs are installed on SD. I have discussed that scheme in section B8 below. Actually this scheme is triple booting because there is one ROM on emmc and two on SD.

c. Put two ROMs on emmc. I do not recommend this method as it means having to repartition emmc and that is risky since glitches might happen during set up. Vital information is stored on partition three and you can totally brick your device if you mess that one up and have not made a backup of it. I do have an emmc partition repair thread linked in my signature to help you repair if it messes up. But many users have used this scheme and seem to like it. If you are going to use it follow Taosaur's excellent thread here.

Use the boot menu to select the system you want to run. If you hold the "n" button just after the first tiny screen flash during boot, you will enter the boot menu which allows you to select the system you want to boot.

Below are some specific tips to make your verygreen dual boot work better.

Using the same SD media partition with emmc and the verygreen SD

By default, all ROMs installed on internal memory (stock, CM7, CM9, etc.) always use the first fat partition on your SD as "sdcard". That usually is partition 1. When ROMs are installed to SD using verygreen's method, the default for that ROM is changed to partition 4 of the SD.

If you want ROMs installed on emmc and installed on SD to use the same SD card for storing your media, you need to modify the emmc installed ROM to also use partition 4 of the SD. Go to /etc when booted to emmc and there will be a file named vold.fstab. Open that file in a text editor and look for a line that has 'sdcard auto' in it (without the quotes) and change it to 'sdcard 4' (and for CM10 it will say 'sdcard1 auto'). Save the modified file and reboot. Now both emmc and SD will use the same media partition on SD to save its data. No need to swap SD cards. Use the boot menu to select which system you want to boot up.

For modifying stock emmc you still modify the vold.fstab file but there are two auto's in that line in the file. Change the first one. If you have not rooted your stock, you will need to use one of the flashable zips I have attached below. One zip modifies stock to use partition 4 on the SD for media storage and the other zip returns it to stock settings. Use CWM to flash these zips. If you do not have CWM on emmc, use the bootable CWM SD I have discussed in item A10 above. Be sure to make the CWM SD on a different SD than your ROM is installed on or you will lose everything there. These zips are only to be used on systems that have stock on emmc.

Speeding up booting by modifying the dalvik cache setting.

The verygreen SD installation is set up to share the cache partition with the ROM on emmc. And since normally part of the dalvik cache is stored on the cache partition, every time you boot from one ROM to the other, the system is forced to rebuild the dalvik cache because the system apps are different for each ROM. I have discussed the dalvik cache in section A2 in my first post of this thread. To speed up booting by eliminating this rebuild, make a change to the dalvik configuration. When booted to the SD, create a local.prop file as I discussed in item A1 above and put this line in it:

dalvik.vm.dexopt-data-only=1

This forces the ROM on SD to store the entire dalvik cache on the /data partition. Then when it boots after being on the other ROM, it does not have to be rebuilt.

B 4. Access to the SD boot partition inside CM

One of the annoyances of the SD install was the need to remove the SD and place it in your PC if you wanted to copy a new install zip to the boot partition for installation of a new ROM. I have developed a script that will mount the boot partition in CM so that you can download the new zip directly to the nook and copy it to the boot partition without removing the SD. See my post here to get the script and learn how to use it.

[Edit 6-16-12:] I just added Rev 2 of the script to my original post. This version adds a symlink so that it shows up in the root directory as 'sdboot' as well as under /data/sdboot. This makes it easier to use Goo Manager to download new ROMs. Just change your download directory in Goo Manager to /sdboot/ and it will download the ROM directly to your boot partition. Before you reboot, I would suggest you look in sdboot to be sure it downloaded successfully.

B 5. Using a modified Alternate CWM recovery for SD installs

Usually CWM recovery cannot be used with SD installs because CWM usually modifies emmc, not the SD. But I have modified a CWM recovery (v6.0.1.2) that can be used as an alternate recovery for SD installations. It can be used to modify the SD for everything CWM does EXCEPT FLASHING NEW ROMs to SD. (If you do try to flash a ROM with it, the ROM ends being installed to emmc.) But you can flash other zips (like gapps) as long as it has a generic installer script (and that is almost all install zips except ROM zips and zips that flash new kernels or new recoveries). For flashing new ROMs zips, continue to copy the install zip to the boot partition like you always have and the script in the boot partition will do the installing for you. This CWM will nandroid backup the SD, wipe dalvik-cache or cache, fix permissions, etc.

I am attaching a file to this post (AlternateCWM-SDInstalls-Rev2-v6.0.1.2.rar) which contains the files you need. To install to your SD card, unrar the file and you will have two files, uAltImg and uAltRam. Insert the SD card into your PC and copy those two files to the boot partition. Put the SD card back into the Nook. Installation finished. You can boot to the Alternate CWM for SD by using the boot menu and selecting SD/Alternate or holding the Volume Up/Down keys together while booting. Note that when the CWM is loaded it has "for SD" appended to the title so you can tell it is for the SD install.

B 6. ROM Manager and SD installs

When you install CM to SD, the app ROM Manager (RM) is installed with it. It should not normally be used with the SD install. It generally is geared toward doing what it does to emmc. If you tell it to install a new CWM recovery, it will install it to emmc (but if you want a new CWM recovery on emmc, go ahead and do it). It will find and download ROMs and gapps for you, but if you tell it to install them, it will try to boot into emmc CWM and install the zip to emmc. But it ends up booting into the verygreen SD recovery instead and doing nothing. Then the next time you boot into CWM recovery on emmc, it will finish the install it wanted to do originally (to emmc).

B 7. NookColorUMS for CM7 and CM9/CM10

One of the more useful apps I had for the SD install was NookColorUMS by Samuel Halff. I have a dual boot setup with CM7 on emmc and CM9 on SD. Before I developed the SDboot mount script in item B4 above, I would boot into CM7, run NookColorUMS and I was able to mount my SD boot partition so my PC could see it. That way I could copy the new ROM zip directly from the PC without taking out the SD card. I don't need to do that anymore since I developed the script. But NookColorUMS was still very useful if the ROM download was done on the PC or for looking at any partition on emmc or SD. Or, in my case, after building a new ROM on Ubuntu, I could copy it directly to the Nook's SD boot partition using UMS.

But NookColorUMS would not work on CM9, first because UMS was not enabled on CM9 and later, after the devs added support for UMS, because the lun file locations on CM9 were different than CM7. I started to play with the coding in NookColorUMS and figured out how to patch it to work on CM9. It worked so well I wanted to share it with the community. I contacted Sam and asked for his permission to post my modified app to XDA. He agreed. Thanks Sam!

The app as developed by Sam works perfectly on CM7. The CM9 patched version works very well, but has one quirk. After you go to settings and enable UMS and plug in your USB cable, the "Turn on USB storage" dialog always pops up. If you want to use NookColorUMS you must dismiss that pop-up by hitting the back key. Then you can mount any partition you want with the app. (If you do select that pop-up button, sdcard and emmc are unmounted in CM and mounted in your PC and you must turn off USB Storage in CM to get sdcard and emmc back on CM.) Once you have finished with the PC (with either version of the app), be sure to use the "eject" command in Windows (right click on the drive) to make sure it has finished any writing it may have been doing to the drive. Then you can use NookColorUMS to finish unmounting the drives.

In order for this to work on CM9 you must be running a recent (4/22 or newer) nightly and enable Mass Storage by going to settings, storage, menu, USB computer connection and select 'mass storage'. If that setting is missing or greyed out, your nightly is too old.

I have attached to this post a rar file that contains both the original app for CM7 and my modified app for CM9. The CM9 version also works great on CM10. Install the appropriate version and enjoy.

B 8. Verygreen SD vs. Racks dual boot SD.

These two versions of SD installations are very different. Many people are confused since Racks' new scheme is so popular now. The verygreen install is what I have been describing in the above paragraphs. Racks has prepared a much different setup. He has an image file that has all the partitions already set up to accept two systems on the SD. And he puts a modified version of CWM on his for backing up and flashing new ROMs to them.

How ROMs are installed is very different between the two systems. The verygreen script in the boot partition installs the ROM, correcting the zip install script so that it installs properly on his SD. With Racks' you use his modified CWM to install specially modified ROMs that Racks has prepared. You have to get the ROMs for flashing from his special web site. He has modified each ROM so that the installation script built into the zip puts the ROM on the partitions on his SD. He has the CM7 ROMs configured to go on his system1 and the CM9 ROMs configured to go on his system2. If you by mistake downloaded a CM ROM from somewhere else and try to flash it with his CWM recovery, it will get put on emmc, since all CM zips are configured to do that by default.

(Edit: Racks now has a thread set up where the user can use one of his scripts to modify the standard ROM or gapp files found on other sites so that they install properly on his setup. Look here.)

B 9. How to upgrade your SD installed CM to a larger SD.

You may have installed CM to SD on a relatively small SD and would like to upgrade it to a larger SD without having to lose everything you have set up on the smaller SD. You can do that with disk imaging software. I will give an example of someone who originally installed to an 8GB SD and wanted to upgrade to a 32GB SD. If your sizes are different, just substitute your sizes in the example below.

Get win32diskimager free from the web. Put your 8GB SD in your card reader and open win32diskimager in Windows. Choose the drive that has your SD in it. In the image file box pick a location on your hard drive and give it a name to save the image to. Then click 'read'. It will read the card and create an 8GB image file where you told it to. When it has finished, eject the 8GB card and insert the 32GB card. Select 'write' in win32diskimager and it will burn a clone of the 8GB card to your 32GB card.

Then get the free Mini-Tool Partition Manager software and use it to expand partition 4 on your SD to fill the rest of the empty space.

You should be able to boot that in your Nook just like you did with the 8GB card and all your apps and data will be intact.

(This should also work on Racks' Dual Boot SD. Just expand partition 7 instead of partition 4. I have not tested this though.)

B 10. How the verygreen SD works.

The verygreen image when first burned to the SD makes a single bootable partition on the SD. It is 117MB for the original verygreen image and 300MB in my latest revised image. It contains four files. MLO and u-boot.bin which are bootloader files and uImage and uRamdisk which are the verygreen installation script files.

The first time it is booted, the verygreen script starts with the penguin on the screen and a bunch of scrolling text. It looks at the SD to see if it has been partitioned yet. If it has not, it partitions it into those additional partitions necessary for installing ROMs. In addition to p1 (boot, fat, primary), it creates p2 (system, ext4, primary), p3 (data, ext4, primary) and p4 (sdcard, fat, primary). The sizes of these partitions are determined by the size of the whole SD with the larger sizes being for the largest cards (SDs larger than 16GB). P1 is either 117MB (original verygreen) or 300MB (my updated version). P2 varies between 300MB and 920MB. P3 varies between 500MB and 1,950 MB. And p4 takes up the remainder of the SD. In case you are wondering about the cache partition, the verygreen install uses the existing cache partition on emmc, which it shares with the ROM there.

After partitioning, it looks for a zip to install. If it does not find one, it stops and tells you to put one on the SD. The next time it boots it does the same checking and, since it is now partitioned, it just looks for an installation zip to install. If it finds one, it installs it, dynamically correcting it to install to and use the partitions on the SD, deletes the install zip, then powers off. The first time it installs a ROM, it renames those uImage and uRamdisk verygreen files to uRecImg and uRecRam and they become the verygreen recovery files. And it copies new MLO, u-boot.bin, uImage, and uRamdisk files from the zip. The new MLO and u-boot.bin are updated versions of the bootloader files which has the new boot menu. uImage and uRamdisk become your ROM kernel and ramdisk. These are what normally will load in the future to start the ROM.

So if you look at the boot partition now in the PC, it has six files in it. The new MLO, u-boot.bin, uImage and uRamdisk from the latest installed ROM zip. And it will have uRecImg and uRecRam which are the renamed original script files that are now your SD recovery.

Now, with the disk partitioned and the ROM installed, ordinarily, after the cyanogenmod or Cyanoboot logo comes up, it boots by default to CM via the uImage and uRamdisk files. If you intercede with the boot menu and tell it to boot to SD recovery, it looks for uRecImg and uRecRam and loads the verygreen recovery. The penguin comes up again and the script does it's checking and looks for a zip to install. If it finds one, it installs it and deletes the file when finished and powers off. If it cannot find one, it just powers off.

So anytime you want to install new ROMs, gapps or other zips, just copy those files to the boot partition and boot to SD recovery and the verygreen script will install them and delete the zips when successful. In the original verygreen script, install zips must be named beginning with update- or gapps-. In my newest revised image and script, they can be named beginning with update-, gapps-, cm- or diff_ and the script will recognize and install them.

B 11. Stock 1.4.3 ROM on verygreen SD

I have some good news for a few users. I have successfully modified the 1.4.3 stock B&N ROM zip to be flashable to a verygreen SD. That means you can put CM on emmc and still have your stock ROM available if you want to boot to it. Or you can just put it away for future use. Then you can use another SD to run a different version of CM on SD.

The modified ROM zip must be installed with CWM or TWRP recovery to the SD. Don't use the verygreen boot partition installer. A newer version of TWRP or CWM recovery (newer than 3.2.0.1) must be used. Those older versions require that you have normal SDs in the slot and you will have your verygreen SD there. The newer versions can find the installation zips on internal memory (emmc media). The recovery can be on emmc, bootable SD or Alternate CWM on your verygreen SD. Version 5.5.0.4 for emmc and version 5.5.0.4 and version 6.0.1.2 of a bootable SD are all attached to my post above.

The ROM zip is hard coded to install to the partitioned verygreen SD. I have built in checks in the installer to make sure you have the verygreen SD in the slot and it has been partitioned. It can even have an old CM ROM on it as the installer will format the system and data partitions on the SD in preparation of putting the stock ROM on it. But anything you have on the SDCARD partition (p4) is left intact.

After flashing the stock ROM, you will have to go through B&N registration just like you would if it were installed to emmc. But be warned if someone else previously registered the device with B&N, you can't register it yourself unless the prior owner has de-registered it. The prior user can de-register it by logging into their B&N account on the web and selecting "erase and de-register" for that device under their account settings. B&N tracks the device by serial number and it will display the same serial number as it would on emmc. If you can't or don't want to register with B&N, see my item A14 above for instructions on how to skip registration. It just means you will not be able to buy books or apps from B&N.

After you have successfully registered the software on SD, you can move the SD to another device with a different serial number and it still works. I'm not sure of the long term implications with B&N of doing that. You may run into trouble when ordering new books or software through their store.

And here is even more good news. I was able to modify GMPOWER's Manual Nooter 5.08.20 zip to also work on the verygreen SD. So now you can have rooted stock on SD. I have contacted GMPOWER and he is ok with me posting a link to a server where I have placed the modified zip. Thanks, GMPOWER.

And I have prepared a zip to add the dalingrin OC kernel and apps2SD support to rooted stock on SD. And I added a zip to block updates even if you choose not to root.

So the procedure to get this working is to prepare a verygreen SD using the image file attached to my SD installation instructions thread here (generic-sdcard...). Then boot it at least once with the SD in the Nook so the SD can partition itself. If you have an existing verygreen SD prepared, you can skip these two steps.

Download and copy the zip files linked below to your internal storage (emmc media). Boot to recovery and insert the prepared verygreen SD into the Nook. Find the ROM zip on internal storage and install it. It will automatically get put on the SD. It will first format the system and data partitions on the SD and then install the ROM. Boot to the SD and the new stock ROM should load.

Follow the directions to register with B&N. Once you have registered you can stop there if you are satisfied with plain stock. Let B&N finish uploading their free books to you before you do anything else. This could take several minutes depending on your internet speed. If you decide to stay with unrooted stock, be warned that if B&N decides to automatically update you to a new version in the future, it may mess up whatever you have installed on emmc. Therefore I recommend that you install the Block Updates zip which blocks OTA updates. If you install Manual Nooter you do not have to install Block Updates separately since it is included in Manual Nooter.

To install Block Updates, Manual Nooter or OC/apps2SD support, install the zips to the SD with recovery just like you did the ROM. If you install Manual Nooter, it has gapps and Market with it so you must register them with Google. And you need root if you want to use the OC and apps2SD support, plus you will need a program like SetCPU to adjust the processor.

You can get the modified 1.4.3 B&N stock ROM zip here, the modified Manual Nooter zip here, the modified OC/apps2SD zip here, and the modified Block Updates zip here (all four modified for verygreen SD installation).

B 12. SD Card Quality

There has been a lot of discussion among Nook Color users about quality of SD cards needed to run a ROM. The consensus has been that SanDisk Class 4 cards work the best. (I have also found that the new SanDisk Ultra Class 10 cards work really well too.) The issue is that the card needs fast random small file read/write ability. And other brand cards, even if rated a higher class, do not fair well with this attribute. The symptoms of a bad card are sluggish performance, apps force closing and general lock-ups. There has been a lot of benchmarking of various brand and speed classes in a thread here.
    A couple of things I've found recently:

1. To make ADB over USB work with the NC on Linux, I needed to run

Code:
    mkdir -p ~/.android && echo 0x2080 > ~/.android/adb_usb.ini && adb kill-server && adb devices

(Found at nookdevs)

2. To modify a stock image so you can flash it from CWM and still have CWM on the emmc, you need to modify one file in the zip: META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script

First change line 1 to

Code:
    assert(getprop("ro.product.device") == "zoom2" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "zoom2" || getprop("ro.product.overall.name") == "NOOKcolor" || getprop("ro.product.device") == "encore" || getprop("ro.build.product") == "encore") ;

Then from the bottom of the file, delete the lines

Code:
    package_extract_file("kernel-recovery", "/boot/uRecImg");

and

Code:
    package_extract_file("ramdisk-recovery.img", "/boot/uRecRam");

I found the first edit here; the second I figured out for myself after I missed it the first time and needed to re-install CWM.

Hope this is useful to someone.
    Having read my way through your posts and tips to installing CM10 on an SD card on my nook, I'd like to thank you for all of your work in making the process so much easier.

Now the question: How can I make it so that I don't have to copy the update from \cmupdater\ into the boot folder? If that's not possible, I'm just fine with copying by hand after downloading, but if it can be done without too much trouble, I like easy.

Thanks again for all your work,
    semininja
    The simple answer is no.

But one of the changes I made to the sdboot script was to make it show up at the root level without the need for root permission. That way GooManager could download the zip directly to sdboot. With GooManager you can set the download folder. And it worked. until they updated GooManager for CM10. Now it won't. And with CMUpdater you cannot choose the folder to download to. It always goes to the CMUpdater folder. So, no.

Edit: It seems I had installed the wrong version of my own script file. I was using an old one. Now that I have the latest version on my Nook, GooManager still downloads to sdboot just fine. But I don't think they are mirroring the CM10 nightlies on their site. So the modified answer is no to CMUpdater, yes to GooManager.

Sent from my NookColor running CM10 on SD using Tapatalk.
    Two more questions, if you please, sirs.

1. I would prefer to install CWM internally to avoid needing a uSD card at all, but I don't see a method mentioned. Is there a preferred way to do this or is it standard to keep a backup CWM uSD somewhere?

2. Taosaur's guide uses CWM to make a backup of stock to restore after repartitioning. Is it safe to assume that the above mentioned "partitions /dev/block/mmcblk0p2 and mmcblk0p3" would be included in this backup? Is it recommended to use this image if I wanted to fully restore to stock partitions?

Thanks in advance.

[Edit]
    After some more reading, this is my best understanding to answer my first question. I begin with CWM on uSD then instead of restoring my own stock backup, I flash Taosaur's "1.4.1-keep-CWM" which leaves me with 1.4.1 and CWM internally. Then optionally, I can update to 1.4.2 inside stock OS then root with Manual Rooter (MN 5.12.20).

After typing all this I realized my position of asking you about another author's process. Apologies and thanks for for help thus far.
    There is not an easy way to install any ROMs on emmc without a working copy of CWM. It can either be on emmc or on a bootable SD. But there is not an easy way to get CWM on emmc without a bootable SD. So your best tact is to make a bootable CWM SD. It can be any size SD as long as it is 1/2 GB or larger. And any class quality. Get the image to burn this SD in my first post of this thread. Most people keep this for later use to make changes as necessary in the future.

I just saw your edit and you can use that CWM SD to install the dual boot. And flashing his zip to 'keep CWM ' does not put CWM internally, it just keeps it if you already have it.

To answer your second question, no, a CWM backup does not back up partitions 2 and 3. I know of no way currently to do that easily. You can use adb and your PC, but in my opinion that is not easy. I will look at that to see if I can create a zip to do that, but for now there is nothing.