[FIX][ROOT][ICS ROMS] compiled "power_profile.xml" file to fix cell stand by issue

Search This thread

ssaqib4e

Jun 6, 2012
Mumbai
@Denise_H,
Why are you doing this.
I fear for your phone.
You are like a person who can't swim but try to do white-water rafting.
Great. You have rooted your phone, and I assume you have CWM recovery.
Just put the zip file in sdcard and boot to recovery (volume-up+home+power) from phone off state of course.
Then choose to flash the zip from sdcard.

And again as I said before, I hope you didn't root your phone just to do this....
it does nothing to your phone, only to the reporting.

Let him learn... only once he does all this.. he will get a hold of things... nd ur quote is awesome... " You are like a person who can't swim but try to do white-water rafting. " haha :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Gadgetz

Jun 5, 2011
I hadn't noticed Cell standy as registering a high number in my battery report but this thread made me double check.....mine is down at 3%

Screenshot_2012-07-12-18-45-54.png

mooney1184

Nov 17, 2009
so i attempted to flash the zip and all i got was an error message halfway through. i dont even understand how to go about doing the first method. can someone tell me what im doing wrong? or give me baby steps (literally one small step at a time) as to how to do the xml thing. I have both files, but cannot seem to get anything to flash/work on my phone.

vegeta1

Nov 9, 2011
DELHI
so i attempted to flash the zip and all i got was an error message halfway through. i dont even understand how to go about doing the first method. can someone tell me what im doing wrong? or give me baby steps (literally one small step at a time) as to how to do the xml thing. I have both files, but cannot seem to get anything to flash/work on my phone.

Try downloading again

open1your1eyes0

Dec 13, 2010
New York City
OP highly recommend you PM a Mod to move this. This belongs in Android Development. Or remake this same post in Android Development for every version of the Galaxy S III (i9300 and US variants).

SoWErA

May 6, 2012
Anyone know if a fix was implemented in LFB firmware or is this issue still present?

it works :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

Hi I Updated to the latest version(XXLFB) in Sweden last night and it didn't fix the Cell standby on my phone. It's has now been on for 5hours 14min without usb charging cable and says:

Cell standby 40%
Display 40%(1hour 37min)
Android-system 10%
and then it goes on with the remaining percentage.

I have had my Wifi on these 5hours and it's playing music from an online radio station. Total battery remaining 70%

Last edited:

pwhoeler

Jul 14, 2012
NJ
Hi. I'm going to be very up front about this.........I have less knowledge about technology than a newborn infant, please keep that in mind if you're kindly enough to help me when it comes to terminology. If it seems too complex for me, it probably is.

So i have a couple questions regarding this fix. I purchased my galaxy s3 on 7/12/12 from my local verizon store, and I seem to be having the same battery misrepresentation problems as everyone else on here. I've tried to apply the fix but its pretty clear i have no idea what I'm doing.

Do I need to be rooted for this to work? (I am currently not rooted)
Is this issue also responsible for the seemingly unbearable charge times for my phone? If so, does it self correct when you change the 34ma to 3.4?

Thanks for reading, and feel free to belittle my noobishness at your leisure.

Edit: I have read through all 25 pages prior to posting, and either didn't find my answer or didn't understand it. This is not a case of laziness, just stupidity.

Last edited:

ssaqib4e

Jun 6, 2012
Mumbai
Hi. I'm going to be very up front about this.........I have less knowledge about technology than a newborn infant, please keep that in mind if you're kindly enough to help me when it comes to terminology. If it seems too complex for me, it probably is.

So i have a couple questions regarding this fix. I purchased my galaxy s3 on 7/12/12 from my local verizon store, and I seem to be having the same battery misrepresentation problems as everyone else on here. I've tried to apply the fix but its pretty clear i have no idea what I'm doing.

Is this issue also responsible for the seemingly unbearable charge times for my phone? If so, does it self correct when you change the 34ma to 3.4?

Edit: I have read through all 25 pages prior to posting, and either didn't find my answer or didn't understand it. This is not a case of laziness, just stupidity.

Got the leisure to read ur post :p
Answers: :p
1. Yes u need to root for this fix.
2. No this isnt responsible charge times of ur phone... please post ur quetions abt that in a suitable thread... :p(probably more help there) still let me knw how much time does it take to charge...
3. Here the error is that the value 34mA shud be 3.4mA...by that i mean to say that while calculating the battery stats the OS considers the cell standby time nd calculates the corresponding power utilised by taking the value as 34mA... resulting into wrong stats...as in reality the cell standby consumes only 3.4mA...so its a mistake by samsung,which has been corrected by the OP...

Also its not abt self correcting..the change in value 3.4mA is itself the correction..

The charge time nd these value have nothing to do with eachother nor will this improve any battery life...

And yes there is a thanks buttom...

Last edited:
Reactions: pwhoeler

amg009

May 4, 2012
Kochin

Hi welcome to s3 family...
First of all you need to be rooted to edit the system files, root grants you the access to it...
So here you need to edit the system file power profile xml....
You can root with cf root for s3....
And for the unbearable charge times, it is an issue when you're charging it for the first couple of times, it'll automatically improve as you move on....
I had the same experience.... :)

Reactions: pwhoeler

pwhoeler

Jul 14, 2012
NJ
Hi welcome to s3 family...
First of all you need to be rooted to edit the system files, root grants you the access to it...
So here you need to edit the system file power profile xml....
You can root with cf root for s3....
And for the unbearable charge times, it is an issue when you're charging it for the first couple of times, it'll automatically improve as you move on....
I had the same experience.... :)

i really appreciate this, as well as the post before it. My line of thinking was that since the math was off for the stand by consumption, the charging math equation would also be off. Thanks for the welcome! I love this phone already except for that one issue, (i fixed the wifi constantly dropping issue thanks to the help of the posters on this site!)

I guess the only other question i can think of is Does this miscalculation of total power remaining lead to the phone turning itself off when it falsely detects a very low battery?

ssaqib4e

Jun 6, 2012
Mumbai
i really appreciate this, as well as the post before it. My line of thinking was that since the math was off for the stand by consumption, the charging math equation would also be off. Thanks for the welcome! I love this phone already except for that one issue, (i fixed the wifi constantly dropping issue thanks to the help of the posters on this site!)

I guess the only other question i can think of is Does this miscalculation of total power remaining lead to the phone turning itself off when it falsely detects a very low battery?

calculations are made to calculate the percentage wise power consumption of apps... it is a feature for the users to know which of their apps are consuming more power...so that v can disable freeze uninstall them,if any has extremely unusual behaviour....
The system does nt use these calculations to check the amount of battery left... that is a completely different task fr the system to do..
this fix or these calculations do not affect the battery utilisation or battery drain or anything related to that....so the sys will never turn itself off...

Just for U ---even if u change the value from 34mA to 340mA...the system wont turn off...instead what u will see is that in the battery stats u will get the result as Cell standby consumes 100%... which is definitely not true....
Also if u donno... cell standby consumes very lil power...

nativestranger

Aug 18, 2010
Got the leisure to read ur post :p
Answers: :p
1. Yes u need to root for this fix.
2. No this isnt responsible charge times of ur phone... please post ur quetions abt that in a suitable thread... :p(probably more help there) still let me knw how much time does it take to charge...
3. Here the error is that the value 34mA shud be 3.4mA...by that i mean to say that while calculating the battery stats the OS considers the cell standby time nd calculates the corresponding power utilised by taking the value as 34mA... resulting into wrong stats...as in reality the cell standby consumes only 3.4mA...so its a mistake by samsung,which has been corrected by the OP...

Also its not abt self correcting..the change in value 3.4mA is itself the correction..

The charge time nd these value have nothing to do with eachother nor will this improve any battery life...

And yes there is a thanks buttom...

This fix simply assumes the original values are too high with nothing scientific to back it up. Then it simply change the drain values to sometime that was assumed to be correct. It's unbelievable that people are blindly following this so call fix. If it's as simple as this Samsung would have fixed it long ago.

vze3xpwn

Jul 16, 2012
Is there anyone willing to explain all this to my step-by-step? I'm a complete noob and have no idea what to do....really would like to get the battery fixed though. Thank you!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [FIX][ROOT][ICS ROMS] compiled "power_profile.xml" file to fix cell stand by issue

Only for Samsung ICS roms, this bug is fixed by samsung in JB

This We know that almost all samsung roms as of now has "cell standby" battery drain. But its understood that its a miscalculation of power used rather than the actual power usage.

A big thanks to Anderilux here and here for finding this thing .

This mod will fix the wrong reporting of "cell stand by "usage to some extent. If your mobile has actual drain due to signal issues or some other issues do not blame me or any other for not fixing this.;)

What is changed ?

The power drain value in power_profile.xml is changed to 3.4 mA(approx value) from 34mA(which is practically impossible).

Attaching the compiled power_profile.xml file along with this post.This saves your time of decompile/recompile framework-res.apk. All you have to do is open your framework-res , modify the apk with 7zip or winrar.

How to?

1.Open you framework-res.apk file via 7zip or winrar.
    2.Navigate to "framework-res\res\xml".
    3.Delete the existing "power_profile.xml" file and add the attached one here.
    4.Now pull back the framework-res.apk back to your mobile
    5.Restart your mobile.

Or you can simply flash the below cwm zip, thanks to @ ausdim for packing this :)
    http://www.mediafire.com/?x7lhcpjjr9pg4mb

Now you wont see "cell standby" topping your battery usage list.

verified the power_profile of many roms ,its actually same. so this should work with almost all roms :) Lets hope samsung would fix it in their future rom releases :)

Download the xml file here

Here is the reference decompiled xml file for the purpose of learning.

before changing xml
    screenshot2012061307254.png

after changing xml
    screenshot2012062610315.png
    I make a simple zip to install it with CWM.

It will replace the file inside the framework-res.apk and it will work with any rom.

Thank's goes to Walhalla for the zip file.

And also to bala_gamer and Anderilux for the fixed file. ;)

It is also backup your curent framework-res.apk to /extSdCard/mode-backup.

Thank's
    Stock Power_Profile

Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
    <device name="Android">
        <item name="none">0</item>
        <item name="screen.on">71</item>
        <item name="bluetooth.active">17</item>
        <item name="bluetooth.on">0.3</item>
        <item name="screen.full">380</item>
        <item name="wifi.on">0.3</item>
        <item name="wifi.active">96</item>
        <item name="wifi.scan">70</item>
        <item name="dsp.audio">44</item>
        <item name="dsp.video">280</item>
        <item name="radio.active">250</item>
        <item name="radio.scanning">82</item>
        <item name="gps.on">1</item>
        <array name="radio.on">
            <value>34</value>
            <value>34</value>
        </array>
        <array name="cpu.speeds">
            <value>12000000</value>
            <value>10000000</value>
            <value>800000</value>
            <value>500000</value>
            <value>200000</value>
        </array>
        <item name="cpu.idle">4</item>
        <array name="cpu.active">
            <value>577</value>
            <value>408</value>
            <value>249</value>
            <value>148</value>
            <value>55</value>
        </array>
        <item name="battery.capacity">2100</item>
    </device>

Now there a major problem here with the OP's Post...

The .XML @Bala has attached is a straight pull off the framework, please also add the decompiled one of the .XML so we can avoid confusion !

What you need to mod
    Code:
    <array name="radio.on">
            <value>34</value>
            <value>34</value>
        </array>

To
    Code:
    <array name="radio.on">
            <value>3.4</value>
            <value>3.4</value>
        </array>

this is what is to be changed :cyclops:
    Hy
    the fix work's for me :)

I have a question that is offtopic.
    Can you tell me the name of the application that show's you the stat's of the ram and cpu utilization? that you have in the printscrren?
    I have uploaded the screen shot and marked the application.
    Sorry for my bad English.
    Thanks

It's cool tool

《tapatalked from galaxy s3》
    Installed, It is working but now it means I can't blame cell standby anymore for battery problems... Who shell I blame now??? :)

Thanks guys!