[MOD][ICS]Use the menu key as Multitask/Recent apps key

Search This thread

danyboy008

Dec 13, 2011
Hello my friends, well after searching and searching I didn't find anything like this, so I decided to share this mod with you ;),

This Mod makes the Menu key (The one placed at the right of the home key) to work as the musltitask key, just like on the nexus phone, so if you press it instead of getting the Options menu, you'll get the Recent apps Menu, this mod also adds the on-screen menu button like in the Nexus, so you'll still be able to see the options menu :D Here are some demostrative caps and a video:

screenshot2012072119563.png
screenshot2012072119564l.png

screenshot2012072119572.png

screenshot2012072119570.png

Youtube video Here

(Sorry for the video quality, I recorded it with my old Sony C510)

The MOD Includes:

-New key Layout (Menu key changed to app Switcher)
- On-Screen option (menu) button (In all the apps)
- Action bar with text (Cut/Copy)
- Fast Bluetooth turning On/Off
- Volume slider is moved to bottom (will make you easier to slide it with your finger)
- Notification toast is moved to top (everything's better if can be seen clearly )

Tested only on SK17/Mini Pro, It should work on Mini/Live/Active also

Warning /i\

BUG:
For the "Non Optimized for ICS apps", you won't be able to open the Optoins Menu :(

How does it add the menu button in apps prior to Android 4.0 ?

On Galaxy Nexus, when the app is still in prior-ICS version, it adds fourth virtual button - "options" . But since hardware buttons can't be moved on Mini, how do you open options for prior-ICS apps?

Ohh well, I think that I have a problem there. As you said, HW buttons cant be modified so I think that in non-optimized ICS apps you won't be able to open the menu options (Since all the apps I use on my mini have the Options button on screen, I hadn't think about this problem).. Any suggestion?

If you have not any problem with that (Like me), you can continue...

Installation:

+Download this file.

+Flash it on CMW recovery (Don't forget to make a backup first!!!)

Credits to:

iiandskater For the On screen button/Notification and volume layouts/action bar mods. (See Post)

ShedoSurashu For telling me how to change the key Layouts ;)

And well, me :)

Thanks a lot! I hope you like it, if you enjoy this mod don't forget to press "Thanks" And if you have any suggestion/question/problem with the mod you can always post a comment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-56-33.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-56-33.png
    181.3 KB · Views: 373
  • Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-56-48.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-56-48.png
    153.6 KB · Views: 370
  • Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-57-01.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-57-01.png
    50.4 KB · Views: 358
  • Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-57-23.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-57-23.png
    15.1 KB · Views: 352
  • Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-57-29.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-21-19-57-29.png
    22.6 KB · Views: 340
Last edited:

danyboy008

Dec 13, 2011
OK
i will try and report :)
thanks for your hard work
i had searched this for a long time ;)

---------- Post added at 03:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:39 AM ----------

bootloop in miui rom :p

If you still interested, I could modify your files, Just upload your framework-res and a file found in: system/usr/keylayout- cyttsp_key.kl and I will try :)

Sent from my Nokia 1100 using XDA premium

andrasandhi

Dec 10, 2010
Bandung
Moto G5S Plus
Realme 6 Pro
Bootloop on sk17i mate... :confused:
Is that happen cause i modified on systemUI before?
Ok,im trying to clean install (yes, clean install : downgrade to GB .58, push local.prop, flash ICS then root), but still bootloop

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium

Theonewithideas

Oct 21, 2011

On Galaxy Nexus, when the app is still in prior-ICS version, it adds fourth virtual button - "options" . But since hardware buttons can't be moved on Mini, how do you open options for prior-ICS apps?

danyboy008

Dec 13, 2011
Bootloop on sk17i mate... :confused:
Is that happen cause i modified on systemUI before?
Ok,im trying to clean install (yes, clean install : downgrade to GB .58, push local.prop, flash ICS then root), but still bootloop

Sent from my SK17i using xda premium

Too bad man :(, please tell me your ROM's name and please please upload your files framework-res and a file found in: system/usr/keylayout- cyttsp_key.kl, so I can check what is different from mines and for modify yours ;)

Ohh well, I think that I have a problem there. As you said, HW buttons cant be modified so I think that in non-optimized ICS apps you won't be able to open the menu options (Since all the apps I use on my mini have the Options button on screen, I hadn't think about this problem).. Any suggestion?

PLinga

Nov 30, 2010
Too bad man :(, please tell me your ROM's name and please please upload your files framework-res and a file found in: system/usr/keylayout- cyttsp_key.kl, so I can check what is different from mines and for modify yours ;)
I tried to install this mod on an xperia ray running CM9 RC2 and it resulted in a bootloop. I had made a backup so was able to recover. I've extracted the framework-res but was unable to find the "cyttsp_key.kl" file in "system/usr/keylayout" folder. Perhaps that's why the mod isn't working? Is there another key file I should look for?

Reactions: dihan91

xdevilium

Apr 17, 2012
Please make it available for JB, Here's the ROM's framework-res.apk, no need to edit the key layout file, I already did...
But please only make the recent apps screen, no more mods if you can. Thanks!

mrahmanda

Jan 3, 2012
Bandung
still interesting , but wont have any bugs here :)
i have some idea !
1. why dont you use menu key as menu button ? and use hold home button for recent apps ?
BUT ! you can still add the on-screen menu button like in the Nexus ?

2. or can you add menu button on status bar ? (change recent apps button key beside settings key)
example
screenshot2012061109060.png

just ide :D

lightdesiny

Jan 3, 2012
works perfect in my xperia mini, for the non optimized applications for ics is possible make the mod execute option menu on long press the key?

sorry for my bad english

danyboy008

Dec 13, 2011
I tried to install this mod on an xperia ray running CM9 RC2 and it resulted in a bootloop. I had made a backup so was able to recover. I've extracted the framework-res but was unable to find the "cyttsp_key.kl" file in "system/usr/keylayout" folder. Perhaps that's why the mod isn't working? Is there another key file I should look for?

Well, I'm on using the CyanogenTimeScape ROM, you have to change the keys behaviour on that file (cyttsp_key.kl), so if you don´t have that file in that directory, it won´t work. You should send me your framework-res file and your "Keylayout" folder in a .zip file, so I can check what can I do ;)

Please make it available for JB, Here's the ROM's framework-res.apk, no need to edit the key layout file, I already did...
But please only make the recent apps screen, no more mods if you can. Thanks!

You mean to only enable the menu button on apps? I will, just hold on :)

still interesting , but wont have any bugs here :)
i have some idea !
1. why dont you use menu key as menu button ? and use hold home button for recent apps ?
BUT ! you can still add the on-screen menu button like in the Nexus ?

2. or can you add menu button on status bar ? (change recent apps button key beside settings key)
example
screenshot2012061109060.png

just ide :D

1.- Sure, I will :)
2.- I really don´t know how to do that, I´m sorry but on my phone I don´t have that button on the notification bar :(

Yeah, you're right. That's why I don't want to try this mod at this time. Is it possible to show menu button for just long-press?

I will try and see if that works good. Thanks!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello my friends, well after searching and searching I didn't find anything like this, so I decided to share this mod with you ;),

This Mod makes the Menu key (The one placed at the right of the home key) to work as the musltitask key, just like on the nexus phone, so if you press it instead of getting the Options menu, you'll get the Recent apps Menu, this mod also adds the on-screen menu button like in the Nexus, so you'll still be able to see the options menu :D Here are some demostrative caps and a video:

screenshot2012072119563.png
    screenshot2012072119564l.png

screenshot2012072119570.png

Youtube video Here

(Sorry for the video quality, I recorded it with my old Sony C510)

The MOD Includes:

-New key Layout (Menu key changed to app Switcher)
    - On-Screen option (menu) button (In all the apps)
    - Action bar with text (Cut/Copy)
    - Fast Bluetooth turning On/Off
    - Volume slider is moved to bottom (will make you easier to slide it with your finger)
    - Notification toast is moved to top (everything's better if can be seen clearly )

Tested only on SK17/Mini Pro, It should work on Mini/Live/Active also

Warning /i\

BUG:
    For the "Non Optimized for ICS apps", you won't be able to open the Optoins Menu :(

If you have not any problem with that (Like me), you can continue...

Installation:

+Download this file.

+Flash it on CMW recovery (Don't forget to make a backup first!!!)

Credits to:

iiandskater For the On screen button/Notification and volume layouts/action bar mods. (See Post)

ShedoSurashu For telling me how to change the key Layouts ;)

And well, me :)

Thanks a lot! I hope you like it, if you enjoy this mod don't forget to press "Thanks" And if you have any suggestion/question/problem with the mod you can always post a comment.