One S vs SIII

Search This thread

R3dbeaver

Feb 17, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
'sup folks.

This thread is dedicated to my lovely wife who just couldn't make up her mind between One S ("kinda looks nice"), Galaxy SIII ("oh nice screen"), and iPhone5 ("when is it coming out? my 3GS feels old"). And between all 3 of them, "can i unlock them?" (in Canada, phones are locked to their ISP, so if I buy it from, say, Rogers, I can't just pop another SIM card from, say, Bell.)

So what do u guys think?

Personally, I'm an Android guy through and through. Can't fix it? Find a ROM to restore it. Boot another ROM. Root it on day one. So iPhone is out of the question. But I tend to like the look of One S better than SIII. and i had good experience with HTC phones. and SIII costs $100 more.

But she's been using iPhone3GS, love the simplicity, has no idea what 'rooting' is and why its necessary no matter how many times I explained that it's necessary for TiBackup to work... But she plays around with my Nexus7 and loves to stream Korean drama and check Facebook with it. And last time we went to Costco she saw the SIII on display and goes "oh wow, that's a nice screen. does it work like ur Nexus? I kinda want it." So mainly for her, OneS is the cheaper phone, but SIII's screen looks amazing, and she'll only be using her phone for;
a. take photos
b. facebook
c. browse the latest grocery flyers and baby product review
d. stream korean dramas
e. whatsapp

What do you think she should pick up? Or she should just wait for the next iPhone in a month or two?

Any input?

Kenneth.Torres

Jan 16, 2012
Mo Hill
Well Samsung did a great job with touchwiz out of the box. Sense 4 can be a little confusing for people coming to android. If she wants a simplistic phone go for the new iPhone, but the hardware will be IMO behind the s3. Get her an s3 she'll love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app

johentie

Dec 22, 2011
Toronto
i agree with the above poster...

iphone if she's not into customizing since its really easy to use..but lame old design and UI

S3 overall good...

i got my wife the S3 and she loves it.. she likes reading Korean Comics and Korean Dramas and the big screen makes it good for those.. the camera is fast so she can take pics of our 8 month old baby ..

she just asked me yesterday ... "Hey is there a way to get rid of those stupid Rogers apps?" to her response i Grinned ; > so i will be rooting her phone tonight..

plus if ur korean like myself you gotta support the homeland ; >

Reactions: MUFC17JW

adrdev

Jul 29, 2012

iphone if she's not into customizing since its really easy to use..but lame old design and UI

S3 overall good...

i got my wife the S3 and she loves it.. she likes reading Korean Comics and Korean Dramas and the big screen makes it good for those.. the camera is fast so she can take pics of our 8 month old baby ..

she just asked me yesterday ... "Hey is there a way to get rid of those stupid Rogers apps?" to her response i Grinned ; > so i will be rooting her phone tonight..

Just FYI, you don't need to root to remove bloat.. You can just uninstall the updates to each app and "disable" them, essentially freezing them for good until you reenable them. They also disappear as icons when you do this, and background processes.

R3dbeaver

Feb 17, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
Well Samsung did a great job with touchwiz out of the box. Sense 4 can be a little confusing for people coming to android. If she wants a simplistic phone go for the new iPhone, but the hardware will be IMO behind the s3. Get her an s3 she'll love it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda app-developers app
but is the display worth $100 premium over One S?

thanks!

S3 overall good...

she'll like that. fast camera. our baby's 2mth old :)

we're not korean but we love korean products! (from food to technologies to dramas)(ok, im not big on dramas, she is)

how's the build and everything? i read around and looks like HTC got a better/more solid build, regardless of smaller screen.

and battery life? I saw some poor review that One S lasts not even a day even on light use.....

Toaster Strudels

Nov 25, 2010
Boston
Get her the iPhone. Chicks dig the iPhone.

Also, saves you time trying to teach her how to use things. Less confusing.

I personally would never let my mom or dad switch over to android -- too much learning involved. Get her the iPhone. You won't get stuck with returning it :)

akbisw

Jun 27, 2010
Brooklyn, NewYork
S3 all the way baby. Screen size and widescreen ratio is reason enough for her to get the s3. Also it is quite pocketable. And its the fastest phone on the planet. Camera is top notch. Plus when she is ready to upgrade she can sell the s3 for a hefty price. S3 is atleast 200$ more than one s contest free. so you lose money technically if you go with one s

Sent from my HTC Senny

oasis9389

Jun 30, 2010
I am in the same boat pretty much and came here for a thread like this.

I am an android nut for a while now, i have an GNEX with JB installed and loving it. Girlfriend has always been an iphone user, loves getting cute cases and thats all she cares about.

The '7 comes out, it was 199 so i was like WTF i will get her one for couch browsing while i am using mine. Turns out she loves the '7 and can't stand her iphone anymore. Shes begging to get the sg3 now but i know its going to be a big learning curve.

I am probably going to get it for her tonight. Its nice to see an android phone finally starting to be a cross over device and pull in the iphone users.

R3dbeaver

Feb 17, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
well at least u know its an easy decision. my wife still on the fence between One S and S III :)

One S owners say Siii wins in terms of storage and removable battery, but everything else is "about the same". the screen is bigger and nicer, but it comes at the cost of heavier and bigger phone due to battery size.

the One S is smaller and has metal case, but she's not too crazy with the design. she knows S III is bigger but she loves the smooth curves. but it is bigger.

Halmo

Oct 3, 2010
Waterloo
well at least u know its an easy decision. my wife still on the fence between One S and S III :)

One S owners say Siii wins in terms of storage and removable battery, but everything else is "about the same". the screen is bigger and nicer, but it comes at the cost of heavier and bigger phone due to battery size.

the One S is smaller and has metal case, but she's not too crazy with the design. she knows S III is bigger but she loves the smooth curves. but it is bigger.

The One S isn't even the competitor of the S3 it's the One X, I know in NA there is really not much difference between the One S and the One X. But the One X is the flagship model which is what the S3 is so they are the comparable phones. Also you are not just getting a better screen with the S3 you are also getting 1gig more RAM and the ability to use expandible memory.

w98seeng

Oct 16, 2009
Dollard-des-Ormeaux
R3dbeaver said:
Personally, I'm an Android guy through and through. Can't fix it? Find a ROM to restore it. Boot another ROM. Root it on day one.

This is all well and good, but the phone in not for you, it's for your wife and you said...

R3dbeaver said:
But she's been using iPhone3GS, love the simplicity, has no idea what 'rooting' is

Can't she stream the Korean dramas on the iPhone?

I would wait to see what the iPhone 5 is going to be like and then let her make the decision.

Ian

fillyo

Aug 18, 2010
My wife got the S3 and loves it. She got it early on pre-order from Verizon. Since then, half the nurses in her unit played with it and went out and bought one themselves.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using xda app-developers app

R3dbeaver

Feb 17, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
The One S isn't even the competitor of the S3 it's the One X, I know in NA there is really not much difference between the One S and the One X. But the One X is the flagship model which is what the S3 is so they are the comparable phones. Also you are not just getting a better screen with the S3 you are also getting 1gig more RAM and the ability to use expandible memory.
hm? both phones have 1GB of RAM.
This is all well and good, but the phone in not for you, it's for your wife and you said...

Can't she stream the Korean dramas on the iPhone?

I would wait to see what the iPhone 5 is going to be like and then let her make the decision.

Ian
she can. with aps. Viki aps to be exact. just like in Android.

she was waiting for the iphone but she saw the SIII and love the screen. that, plus she's been playing with my Nexus made her want to jump the wagon..... and ask me to do the research.... :eek:

I'd wait for iPhone 5.
HTC One S is nice too.
SGS3 can be little big for girls.

thank you. maybe ill just ask her to wait. i heard Sept 12...

Eddie Bombay

Jun 25, 2011
Get her the new iPhone and a broom. Android is for the men.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III via Tapatalk II

King Shady

Sep 6, 2010
I'd say let her decide whether she wants the new iPhone or the Galaxy S3. 60% of the women I've been with had iPhone while the other 40% had dumphones or some type of Galaxy device. Women love the big bright screen on the Galaxy phones, but they also love the iPhone because its fashionable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

S3 overall good...

hm? both phones have 1GB of RAM.

No the S3 has 2gigs of RAM.