[ROM][23Mar][MB5][364mb] ¤¤ VikingWay v7.1 ¤¤ The Beauty Of TrulyClean And Simple

Search This thread

schoolsux

May 7, 2010
Gotham City
lunsarn.se
I have bought a new phone (Xperia Z) so VikingWay for I9300 is now discontinued. I would like to thank everyone that enjoyed VikingWay on the SGS3! :)

vikingway_logo.png

welcome.png

VikingWay is a light & fast rom that focuses on keeping the greatest parts of the stock experience and functionality.
Everything that I consider as bloatware or crap is removed and I personally think it gives the rom an amazing clean feeling.
With all crap removed, VikingWay is among the lightest Samsung firmware based roms avaliable - but fully functional and stable for daily use.
I'm personally NOT that interested in modding the rom like a freak and apply tons of tweaks. I think Samsung did most of it really good!
I just don't like all the extra crap that is forced upon the user. VikingWay leaves you at a truly clean scratch with some "schoolsux touches"!!
Mod whatever you like yourself or enjoy VikingWay just as it is - simple and slim with stock solid quality. :D

Quick Navigation:
¤ Changelog
¤ Screenshots & banners

Nice Mods: (optional)
¤ Theme mods for 4.1.2 by raubkatze!
¤ JKay Deluxe Framework.

inst.png

*** I always dedicate time to test my roms on my SGS3 before releasing ***
*** BUT, I take no responsibility if this rom, or the evil snails in your garden, or whatever - kills your phone ***
*** VikingWay rom does NOT include any bootloader or recovery ***

* Doing a full wipe in recovery before flashing rom is always recommended. However, install script willl NEVER wipe your user data.[/INDENT]

1. Download base rom and latest update if there is any!
2. Copy downloaded zip(s) to phone internal/external sd card.
3. Google how to root your SGS3 and install recovery using Odin.
4. Reboot into custom recovery and do a full wipe.
5a. Wipe cache and dalvik if you have a previous version of VikingWay installed.
5b. Full wipe is always recommended for best experience, especially if coming from another rom its necessary!
6. Flash VikingWay rom using latest ClockworkMod recovery and then any updates on top of it.
7. Done & enjoy VikingWay! :)

download.png

By using this rom you accept:

* This rom is cooked by my taste and if you don't like that or miss something, just use another rom!
* l share my personal rom build, I'm no paid supporter and I do not like requests.
* Don't ask when things will be done, I take the time I need and release stuff whenever I feel time is right.
* I update when there is worthy improvements, NOT just to get the latest build number.

thanks.png

For fixes, firmware and more stuff:
Samsung<3, SamMobile, raubkatze and all other guys that enhances the Galaxy experience!

For donating and supporting the future of VikingWay:
You know who you are and you have my thanks! Money goes to next gen phones and Jägermeister shots!

If your name isn't on these lists, but you think it should be - send me a PM!

Attachments

• Check_MD5_Tool.zip
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,307
Last edited:

schoolsux

May 7, 2010
Gotham City
lunsarn.se
problems.png

* Samsung Keyboard does not auto-correct words. Contact Samsung support and tell them!
(Problem is across all Samsung 4.1.2 Jellybean roms!)
* Home button wake and exit current app. (Use power button or Smart Stay for now).
(Also a problem across all roms when S Voice is disabled.)

This rom is based on stock Samsung Jellybean firmware!
By my experience rom runs overall great, but I'm just a single person and I don't try out all the stuff you might do.
If you find something that is not caused by you trying to modify something, provide feedback to make this rom better! I don't say no to a possible soultion either!
:)

news.png

* Added optional packages for v7.x: SMemo, AllShare, Accuweather Widget, Samsung Account with sCloud.

changelog.png

VikingWay v7.1

- Pretty much v6 style.
- Rebase on XXEMB5 firmware!
- XXEMB5 modem and kernel.
- Rom size reducement.
- 1% battery mod and black statusbar.
- Removed some more crap. Thanks to Theshawty!
- Removed another lib that proved to be useless.
- Fixed rom default wallpaper.
- Reduced Settings.apk size.
- Some changes due to poll feedback.
- Added missing Android 4.2 clock widget, that was included in previous versions!
- Other minor changes and polish.

* v7.x is the last VikingWay series based on 4.1.2. VikingWay v8 WILL BE Android 4.2 based and if it takes months for Samsung to release it I will wait months!​

Previous changelog:

VikingWay v6

- Rebase on XXEMA2 firmware!
- Stock XXEMA2 kernel and modem. (DXELK1)
- Everything is now stock exept the extended power menu mod.
- Chrome now is default rom browser. (Samsung browser removed.)
- Complete stock theme just to be stock. (Green toggles in sunlight really proved the reason to switch back from grey toggles.)
- Removed VikingWay app.
- Google Maps is now included by default.
- All crap and bloatware removed as usual!

* Blazing fast, rock stable and solid rom build featuring stock quality.
* Mod what you like yourself & enjoy v6. :)
* If you like the v5.2 features, just stick to it!​
VikingWay v5.2 Update

- Fixed lockscreen beeing grey. (Happens after starting up rom for the first time after a full wipe.)
- Attempt to reduce lockscreen "grey tint overlay" apperaring on some darker lockscreen wallpapers when water ripple is enabled.
- Statusbar dropdown "button" is now grey instead of blue to fit the white/grey quicktoggles.

* Includes v5.1 changes.
* No wipe needed.​

VikingWay v5.1 Update

- Added modded phone with call recording and no incr. ringtone.
- Removed 2 unneeded apps.

* Flash over v5 base, no wipe needed!​

VikingWay v5

- Rebase on official XXELLC 4.1.2 firmware!
- XXELLC kernel and XXELL4 nordic modem.
- When screen just turn off home button does not exit current app anymore!
- Flashlight on lockscreen returns! (Hold home button on lockscreen.)
- Exit and kill current app by holding menu. If on home - launcher will not be killed, only search as usual!
- Samsung bootanimation just to get the "complete feeling". (Custom bootanimation is so easy to install anyway.)
- Hold volume button to skip track when screen is off. (Tested with stock music player.)

* Solid and clean as usual, v5 is the best rom build I ever made.
* Flash over v3-v4 should work, but to get optimal performance a full wipe is recommended as usual!
* md5 info moved to download section.​

VikingWay v4.1 Update

- Centered the statusbar clock and made it a little bit brighter.
- Made the statusbar icons brighter as well.
- Added Extended Power Menu.

* No wipe needed, flash on top of v4 base.​

VikingWay v4 (XXELLA)

- Rebase on official Samsung 4.1.2 XXELLA firmware!
- Kernel and modem that came with XELLA firmware.
- Grey quicktoggles again.
- Black statusbar.
- Removed the 2 new chat bubbles, old modded ones looks better.
- Removed another lib that seems to be unused & useless.
- Nexus custom bootanimation.
- Some other minor changes I don't remember.

* This rom does not include the new bootloader!
* I didn't flash the new bootloader yet while testing & running this, just so you know ;)

Last edited:

veyka

Retired Forum Moderator
Oct 26, 2007
Norfolk
www.veyka.co.uk
Closed, "coming soon" threads are not something we welcome on XDA, they tend just to be filled with nonsense and fulfill no purpose.

A thread should be posted once a download link is ready.

Once a link is ready, PM me and I will reopen the thread.

Edit: Thread reopened :)

Last edited:

life_hacker

Aug 7, 2012
am new to android, so just a quick question. I dont know about the different ways to flash a rom(dont know what odin is, BTW I use mac).
So, download rom-> transfer to SD-> wipe data-> install from SD-> wipe cache/delvik cache-> Reboot? Would this work? Thats the only way I know :)

nihal1983

Oct 7, 2011
warrington,UK
Wipe data, cache, dalvik and then flash

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda premium

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Forgot to mention you need to be rooted with recovery installed

Yusei

Nov 29, 2010
Porto
am new to android, so just a quick question. I dont know about the different ways to flash a rom(dont know what odin is, BTW I use mac).
So, download rom-> transfer to SD-> wipe data-> install from SD-> wipe cache/delvik cache-> Reboot? Would this work? Thats the only way I know :)

Exists a noob guide in general section.

Take a look bro

life_hacker

Aug 7, 2012
Wipe data, cache, dalvik and then flash

---------- Post added at 08:54 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:53 AM ----------

Forgot to mention you need to be rooted with recovery installed

Thanks, am already rooted and using the liquid rom now. Last time, I flashed then wiped cache and delvik.. will try your way this time around!

Exists a noob guide in general section.

Take a look bro

I know, I've read them but on every other ROM thread there's a "How to Install:" instruction guide and they're somewhat different from each other; which I didnt see here so thats why I asked :) but thanks, anyway!

mdmar

Jun 9, 2010
Is Smart Stay there in Jelly Bean? Havent tested any JB yet, but this feature I believe is a dealbreaker:)
And yes, I know theres an app for it on Play...

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have bought a new phone (Xperia Z) so VikingWay for I9300 is now discontinued. I would like to thank everyone that enjoyed VikingWay on the SGS3! :)

vikingway_logo.png

welcome.png

VikingWay is a light & fast rom that focuses on keeping the greatest parts of the stock experience and functionality.
    Everything that I consider as bloatware or crap is removed and I personally think it gives the rom an amazing clean feeling.
    With all crap removed, VikingWay is among the lightest Samsung firmware based roms avaliable - but fully functional and stable for daily use.
    I'm personally NOT that interested in modding the rom like a freak and apply tons of tweaks. I think Samsung did most of it really good!
    I just don't like all the extra crap that is forced upon the user. VikingWay leaves you at a truly clean scratch with some "schoolsux touches"!!
    Mod whatever you like yourself or enjoy VikingWay just as it is - simple and slim with stock solid quality. :D

Quick Navigation:
    ¤ Changelog
    ¤ Screenshots & banners

Nice Mods: (optional)
    ¤ Theme mods for 4.1.2 by raubkatze!
    ¤ JKay Deluxe Framework.

inst.png

*** I always dedicate time to test my roms on my SGS3 before releasing ***
    *** BUT, I take no responsibility if this rom, or the evil snails in your garden, or whatever - kills your phone ***
    *** VikingWay rom does NOT include any bootloader or recovery ***

* Doing a full wipe in recovery before flashing rom is always recommended. However, install script willl NEVER wipe your user data.[/INDENT]

1. Download base rom and latest update if there is any!
    2. Copy downloaded zip(s) to phone internal/external sd card.
    3. Google how to root your SGS3 and install recovery using Odin.
    4. Reboot into custom recovery and do a full wipe.
    5a. Wipe cache and dalvik if you have a previous version of VikingWay installed.
    5b. Full wipe is always recommended for best experience, especially if coming from another rom its necessary!
    6. Flash VikingWay rom using latest ClockworkMod recovery and then any updates on top of it.
    7. Done & enjoy VikingWay! :)

download.png

By using this rom you accept:

* This rom is cooked by my taste and if you don't like that or miss something, just use another rom!
    * l share my personal rom build, I'm no paid supporter and I do not like requests.
    * Don't ask when things will be done, I take the time I need and release stuff whenever I feel time is right.
    * I update when there is worthy improvements, NOT just to get the latest build number.

thanks.png

For fixes, firmware and more stuff:
    Samsung<3, SamMobile, raubkatze and all other guys that enhances the Galaxy experience!

For donating and supporting the future of VikingWay:
    You know who you are and you have my thanks! Money goes to next gen phones and Jägermeister shots!

If your name isn't on these lists, but you think it should be - send me a PM!
    problems.png

* Samsung Keyboard does not auto-correct words. Contact Samsung support and tell them!
    (Problem is across all Samsung 4.1.2 Jellybean roms!)
    * Home button wake and exit current app. (Use power button or Smart Stay for now).
    (Also a problem across all roms when S Voice is disabled.)

This rom is based on stock Samsung Jellybean firmware!
    By my experience rom runs overall great, but I'm just a single person and I don't try out all the stuff you might do.
    If you find something that is not caused by you trying to modify something, provide feedback to make this rom better! I don't say no to a possible soultion either!
    :)

news.png

* Added optional packages for v7.x: SMemo, AllShare, Accuweather Widget, Samsung Account with sCloud.

changelog.png

VikingWay v7.1

- Pretty much v6 style.
    - Rebase on XXEMB5 firmware!
    - XXEMB5 modem and kernel.
    - Rom size reducement.
    - 1% battery mod and black statusbar.
    - Removed some more crap. Thanks to Theshawty!
    - Removed another lib that proved to be useless.
    - Fixed rom default wallpaper.
    - Reduced Settings.apk size.
    - Some changes due to poll feedback.
    - Added missing Android 4.2 clock widget, that was included in previous versions!
    - Other minor changes and polish.

* v7.x is the last VikingWay series based on 4.1.2. VikingWay v8 WILL BE Android 4.2 based and if it takes months for Samsung to release it I will wait months!​

Previous changelog:

VikingWay v6

- Rebase on XXEMA2 firmware!
    - Stock XXEMA2 kernel and modem. (DXELK1)
    - Everything is now stock exept the extended power menu mod.
    - Chrome now is default rom browser. (Samsung browser removed.)
    - Complete stock theme just to be stock. (Green toggles in sunlight really proved the reason to switch back from grey toggles.)
    - Removed VikingWay app.
    - Google Maps is now included by default.
    - All crap and bloatware removed as usual!

* Blazing fast, rock stable and solid rom build featuring stock quality.
    * Mod what you like yourself & enjoy v6. :)
    * If you like the v5.2 features, just stick to it!​
    VikingWay v5.2 Update

- Fixed lockscreen beeing grey. (Happens after starting up rom for the first time after a full wipe.)
    - Attempt to reduce lockscreen "grey tint overlay" apperaring on some darker lockscreen wallpapers when water ripple is enabled.
    - Statusbar dropdown "button" is now grey instead of blue to fit the white/grey quicktoggles.

* Includes v5.1 changes.
    * No wipe needed.​

VikingWay v5.1 Update

- Added modded phone with call recording and no incr. ringtone.
    - Removed 2 unneeded apps.

* Flash over v5 base, no wipe needed!​

VikingWay v5

- Rebase on official XXELLC 4.1.2 firmware!
    - XXELLC kernel and XXELL4 nordic modem.
    - When screen just turn off home button does not exit current app anymore!
    - Flashlight on lockscreen returns! (Hold home button on lockscreen.)
    - Exit and kill current app by holding menu. If on home - launcher will not be killed, only search as usual!
    - Samsung bootanimation just to get the "complete feeling". (Custom bootanimation is so easy to install anyway.)
    - Hold volume button to skip track when screen is off. (Tested with stock music player.)

* Solid and clean as usual, v5 is the best rom build I ever made.
    * Flash over v3-v4 should work, but to get optimal performance a full wipe is recommended as usual!
    * md5 info moved to download section.​

VikingWay v4.1 Update

- Centered the statusbar clock and made it a little bit brighter.
    - Made the statusbar icons brighter as well.
    - Added Extended Power Menu.

* No wipe needed, flash on top of v4 base.​

VikingWay v4 (XXELLA)

- Rebase on official Samsung 4.1.2 XXELLA firmware!
    - Kernel and modem that came with XELLA firmware.
    - Grey quicktoggles again.
    - Black statusbar.
    - Removed the 2 new chat bubbles, old modded ones looks better.
    - Removed another lib that seems to be unused & useless.
    - Nexus custom bootanimation.
    - Some other minor changes I don't remember.

* This rom does not include the new bootloader!
    * I didn't flash the new bootloader yet while testing & running this, just so you know ;)
    screenshots.png

99% stock theme as you can see :) Pictures will be updated when/if there is any major graphical changes!

1.png
    2.png

3.png
    4.png

Rom banner if anyone likes: :)

vikingway_logo.png
    VikingWay v2.3 update out!

MERRY CHRISTMAS & HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE! :D
    v9 out :)

Pretty much same as v8, tested an automated script I made optimizing the basic stuff, saving alot of time.
    This is only reason I updated to new base, since I was half way there already.

Uploaded rom within a minute with my new Internet, instead of 3 hours hehe :D

Anyways, enjoy!