Fixing Logcat / Catlog on Jelly Beans [JB] ROMS

Search This thread

rtk217

Dec 20, 2011
so as you may noticed catlog /logcat/ alogcat and such are not working properly or at all.
that is because google added a new permission request from apps which they don't usually request.

but alas, there is fix, if you're working with one of the latest versions of JB (quarx or epsylon3 it doesn't matter) you can fix it by simply by following the next steps:
1. make sure your'e phone is rooted and has superuser or any other permission manager app (superuser zip flashable can be downloaded here)

2. enter the app drawer and enter the "terminal emulator"

3. gain root permissions by typing :
$su

wait for the notification about permission allow/deny, and allow it.

4. now you give permission to the program you want by writing the following line:
pm grant [programs name] android.permission.READ_LOGS

(the upper case /lower case is important)

I.E for catlog you should type:
Code:
su
pm grant com.nolanlawson.logcat android.permission.READ_LOGS

now your logging app should work fine, enjoy!

Last edited:

shag_on_e

Sep 3, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Here's a way to make all log reader apps work instead of going one by one:

su: "chmod 04755 /system/bin/logcat"

or open root explorer, navigate /system/bin/logcat, long press logcat and select "permissions", then check the box "Set UID".

Both ways require a reboot after!

Hope this helps, thanks to ChainsDD for this!

TiagoRodrigues

Aug 31, 2012
Thanks, really thanks.

I use aLogcat and the code that I used was
Code:
pm grant org.jtb.alogcat android.permission.READ_LOGS

You can find your logger program accessing with any root explorer the folder "data>data" and look for the name of the folder that contains the name of your app within. I looked for it because I'm not using the same app that you used, so I opened the "Root Explorer>Search" and searched for "logcat". So I found the folder "Data>data" and tried using the name of the folder that was "org.jtb.alogcat" and worked.

Thanks very much, nice job.

WhammyDroid

Jun 23, 2010

or open root explorer, navigate /system/bin/logcat, long press logcat and select "permissions", then check the box "Set UID".

Thanks for the alternative way to do it. Though considering the information the logs contain, I would rather grant a specific app than have everyone see it.

Reactions: treadlightly

NoSpamDan

Recognized Developer
Jan 12, 2012
candyroms.org
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 7T
I'm on Sky-JB T11.4 and while I can grant the permissions successfully, there is no content in either alogcat or catlog, even after a reboot. Catlog just shows a spinning busy circle forever, and alogcat just shows a blank screen.

Tried running an app I know crashes (WMUR 9 News app), but the same behavior continues...

Any ideas where to look to resolve this?

Taomyn

I'm on Sky-JB T11.4 and while I can grant the permissions successfully, there is no content in either alogcat or catlog, even after a reboot. Catlog just shows a spinning busy circle forever, and alogcat just shows a blank screen.

Tried running an app I know crashes (WMUR 9 News app), but the same behavior continues...

Any ideas where to look to resolve this?

Check your ROM's kernel doesn't disable logging. Semaphore for my SGS does this but there's an app by the dev to renable it.

Reactions: NoSpamDan

Keesdil

Dec 12, 2013
One of the latest versions of JB

so as you may noticed catlog /logcat/ alogcat and such are not working properly or at all.
that is because google added a new permission request from apps which they don't usually request.

but alas, there is fix, if you're working with one of the latest versions of JB (quarx or epsylon3 it doesn't matter) you can fix it by simply by following the next steps:

Not clear : what do you mean with "latest versions". I have JB 4.1.2, quarx or epsylon doesn't mean anything comprehensible for an ordinary android smartphone user like me..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

1. make sure your'e phone is rooted and has superuser or any other permission manager app (superuser zip flashable can be downloaded here)

2. enter the app drawer and enter the "terminal emulator"

3. gain root permissions by typing :
    $su

wait for the notification about permission allow/deny, and allow it.

4. now you give permission to the program you want by writing the following line:
    pm grant [programs name] android.permission.READ_LOGS

(the upper case /lower case is important)

I.E for catlog you should type:
    Code:
    su
    pm grant com.nolanlawson.logcat android.permission.READ_LOGS

now your logging app should work fine, enjoy!

It worked! Thanks a lot. For alogcat it's
    Code:
    su
    pm grant org.jtb.alogcat android.permission.READ_LOGS
    Great It works for me im on JB Quarx 22Aug12

Good. if i helped please press the thank you button.
    also moderators if you can see this, you'd might want to add this to the wiki or something.
    Hrm.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2