Or Continue to Thread: [PRJ][OS]Linux and Android on …
Find Your Device:
29th December 2008, 09:43 AM
Flag Sammamish, WA
Thanks Meter: 3

31 posts
Cool android 1.0 on diamond -- proof of concept
spent some time in the holiday and finally got android 1.0 running in my diamond. not really a usable system 'cause as you may have already found out by reading the thread or working on porting that many functions in the kernel still need to be fixed. just did this as a proof of concept -- yes we are getting closer and yes you still need to use patience.

some notes on pulling in android 1.0:

1. diamond's built-in mmc cannot be partitioned (at this time). it is not because of linux btw. the problem is WM will not be able to recognize the partitioned mmc in diamond. and unfortunately i still need to use my WM phone before android is fully ready. so i built the system.img and userdata.img as ext2 fs and mount them via loopback devices.

i also tried enabling the mtd + yaffs2 support in the kernel and loopback the ready-made android images. however i was having trouble making the loopback work with yaffs2 and didnt have time to track down. so just took the easy path to use ext2 instead.

2. if we start from our own "init" (for sake of debugging) instead of android's "init", the busybox mdev cannot be used. android "init" also takes care of /dev file system (as well as /proc /sys, etc). running mdev will have confliction and the java vm cannot be launched successfully. without mdev, we have to create a minimal set of devices first (tty, pts, loop, mmcblk, ...) statically to run our telnetd and mount the images.

3. make sure the /data image is big enuf. in the beginning i used only 8MB and the java vm just couldnt launch. the error messages all looked to be corrupted jar files. took me quite some troubleshooting time to find out it was indeed disk full and enlarged the image to 64M. also make sure the tree under /data has permission 0771 'cause files will be created there. on the other hand the /system can be mounted RO.

4. logcat is very useful.

attached the pictures of my diamond running android 1. if you really want to try the images and have a place for other people to share please let me know and i'll upload the big image files as well as the initrd.

cheers !

- lt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a1-01s.jpg
Views:	1102
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	141032   Click image for larger version

Name:	a1-02s.jpg
Views:	961
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	141033  
Last edited by lavender.t; 29th December 2008 at 09:47 AM. Reason: attach pictures