[PATCH] True Tablet UI (Apps+GUI) w/o DPI Change for Stock & CM10 - Update Oct11 2012

Search This thread

osm0sis

Senior Recognized Developer / Contributor
Mar 14, 2012
Halifax
GT-i9250
Google Nexus 4
ParanoidAndroid is by far the most advanced work, and now that it's open source I would hope some pieces would be integrated with other roms - PA has really been the only one to crack the code there to allow for apps to be configured for tablet mode independently of the actual system UI and moles put in a ton of work to make that happen ... AFAIK

SGT7 and a few others have tablet system UI, but not tablet apps

so it will depend a bit on what you're after - if you just care for the UI in the system (ie the bottom, unified navbar/statusbar), there are lots of great options...if you want the apps to behave in tablet mode, PA is by far the best, but it's a full rom experience too (for many technical reasons, some of which you can gleam for the history of this thread in having specific apps control their own tablet ui dpi behavior

I'll check out Rsotbiemrptson's stock pre-patched version of True Tab and see how it feels and then explorer and figure out if I want to go all out with PA. Limited to 8 thanks/day but thank you very much for the response and all your hard work on the patch.:good:

z1gackly

Jul 28, 2012
London
gotcha - i had misunderstood
i added those two files it to a flashable zip here - https://www.dropbox.com/s/q83fxfdxpa1q2s2/CM10tabletUI-test1.zip
need some folks to test please - please note this zip does not backup prior files so ensure you have a CM10 zip to flash if something goes wrong

to mod a zip, just take an existing one, open the zip in winzip/winrar/archive manager and drag/drop the files into the /framework or /system folders in the zip...then pull out /META-INF/com/google/android/updater-script and edit that to say whatever message or credits you want while it's flashing, or tweak in case you added new/different files

Thanks for the info. I'm pretty new to Android development.

I tested the zip you made on an earlier build of mine and it caused a SystemUI FC loop the first time I booted. The second time I booted, it force closed SystemUI just once and then functioned perfectly. I am just about to boot a third time, and then I will try it on an official CM nightly build, but it seems a little temperamental! I didn't get that effect with the build that I took the jars from.

EDIT: Just realised I may know what's causing the FCs. Await further testing shortly ;)

Last edited:

barrmulio

Oct 5, 2010
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty new to Android development.

I tested the zip you made on an earlier build of mine and it caused a SystemUI FC loop the first time I booted. The second time I booted, it force closed SystemUI just once and then functioned perfectly. I am just about to boot a third time, and then I will try it on an official CM nightly build, but it seems a little temperamental! I didn't get that effect with the build that I took the jars from.

did u clear dalvik before flashing?
i just started a full cm10 build...will be a few hrs before it gets done, patched, rebuilt

z1gackly

Jul 28, 2012
London
Works fine with today's official CM10 nightly. I think it was clashing with a framework base cherry pick in the first build I tested it on.

Last edited:

Nark.GA60

Feb 2, 2011
Canberra
This is my CM10 build from last night. All I've done is changed the two files mentioned in the OP and replaced Trebuchet with the patched Launcher2. Lockscreen doesn't rotate, but you can just disable lockscreen in the settings to avoid that.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i9t50y61vqdu6xp/PlYXuUMPed/CM10+TabletUI

I'll try fixing the launcher and lockscreen tonight (in about 12h time) and provide a patch. Unless someone else beats me to it.

Last edited:

z1gackly

Jul 28, 2012
London
This is my CM10 build from last night. *All I've done is changed the two files mentioned in the OP and replaced Trebuchet with the patched Launcher2. *Lockscreen doesn't rotate, but you can just disable lockscreen in the settings to avoid that.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/i9t50y61vqdu6xp/PlYXuUMPed/CM10+TabletUI

I'll try fixing the launcher and lockscreen tonight (in about 12h time) and provide a patch. *Unless someone else beats me to it.

You've got me properly confused here, because in CM10 Trebuchet will rotate if you check the "Auto-rotate screen" box in Settings->Launcher->General and the Lockscreen will rotate if you enable it in Settings->Display->Rotation, so I'm not sure what you're trying to fix!

For me, everything works fine with CM10 if you just make the two code changes in the OP. I wouldn't advise cherry picking the centre clock mod with it though, as that causes SystemUI problems.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nark.GA60

Nark.GA60

Feb 2, 2011
Canberra
Hey, hadn't noticed that lock screen rotation setting! It worked. Thanks for pointing that out.

The problem with Trebuchet was that the icon spacing was all out of whack. The bottom row of icons was chopped in half.

Reactions: z1gackly

z1gackly

Jul 28, 2012
London
Hey, hadn't noticed that lock screen rotation setting! It worked. Thanks for pointing that out.

The problem with Trebuchet was that the icon spacing was all out of whack. The bottom row of icons was chopped in half.

Ah ok, let me try your Launcher2 then to see what the difference is, and I'll report back. Must admit, I never use Trebuchet anyway, I prefer Nova.

EDIT: see what you mean now.

Last edited:

Nark.GA60

Feb 2, 2011
Canberra
Ah ok, let me try your Launcher2 then to see what the difference is, and I'll report back. Must admit, I never use Trebuchet anyway, I prefer Nova.

EDIT: see what you mean now.
I prefer Nova on the phone but I've found the interface to be not as good on the tablet. There are a few little things that annoy me. Hopefully they'll fix it up soon.

I just wanna ask how can i flash your patch in codenameandroid @@ i tried few time but nothing changed
He was explaining to you how to get back to a working system. The patch is not compatible with codenameandroid.

Nark.GA60

Feb 2, 2011
Canberra
Just tested and working like a charm.

I can't take credit for the Launcher2 though. It was just taken from barrmulio's ROM in the OP.

Looks like I won't get a chance to do the fixes to Trebuchet tonight. I'll try to find some time over the weekend. What you've done with that patch is good enough IMO. Great work!

Reactions: z1gackly

z1gackly

Jul 28, 2012
London
I took the framework_res.apk from your ROM so you get credit anyway ;)

Thanks for testing it. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with for Trebuchet.

barrmulio

Oct 5, 2010
Thanks so much, but I did not pass to the boot, it freezed at there so i have reflash the rom, does the logcat still available (i wiped all)? If yes i will try to get it then send to you :)

no, you need to grab it while you are stuck booting - it will tell us what app is causing the freeze

barrmulio

Oct 5, 2010
Ok, here is a flashable Tablet UI patch for CM10, tested successfully on the latest nightly, including Nark.GA60's modified launcher and credits in the updater script for all involved.

thanks z1gackly and Nark.GA60! added this to the op

I would like to say thanks for your work, it has brought my N7 much needed changes. I had to modify the files as I am still running stock 4.1.1(JRO03D odexed). I have it working for non deodexed roms incase anyone that hasn't flashed a custom rom wants to try it.

thanks Rsotbiemrptson! added your links to op as well

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [PATCH] True Tablet UI (Apps+GUI) w/o DPI Change for Stock & CM10 - Update Oct11 2012

Note: I am no longer maintaining releases due to time constraints. If someone would like to pick up the op, please pm me.

Recent Changes
    10/11 - Updating CM10 nightly links - see next post
    9/6 - Added nighly CM10 builds - see next post
    8/1 - Cleaning to OP out a bit

Downloads
    If you don't care about all the technical stuff, skip down to post 2 for downloads

Intro
    Goal of thread is to share details around how the trigger for Phone UI/Phablet UI/Tablet UI works, and provide a dpi independent patch for tablet ui. Hopefully this also eliminates the misinformation that changing lcd density is the only way to get Tablet UI.

What's "true" tablet UI vs what is called tablet UI in many roms? The Tablet UI actually defines how some apps work (e.g. dual-paned settings like in the screenshots below) vs the other solutions that simply draw the standard Nexus UI with tablet navigation/system bars.

The 'Triggers'
    In 4.1.x, there are two files that need to be modified:
    PhoneWindowManager.java, located in frameworks/base/policy/src/com/android/internal/policy/impl contains the code that determines which UI to present. During compile this is a part of android.policy.jar
    WindowManagerService.java, located in frameworks/base/services/java/com/android/server/wm contains code that specifies the lowest DP settings and has the system select from either sw600 or sw720 presentations. It is a part of services.jar

PhoneWindowManager
    Click below for details regarding the source code to edit, and modifications for these releases

The source code calculates a value for shortSizeDP, and compares it to
    • shortSizeDP < 600 = PhoneUI
    • 601 720

shortSizeDP is calculated as follows:
    take the short size of the screen resolution (our screen is 1280x800, so use 800) * DENSITY_DEFAULT (a constant of 160) * LCD Density (ro.sf.lcd_density value in build.prop)

example: on stock: 800 (N7 short resolution) * 160 / 213 (stock lcd_density) = 600.9
    since 600.9 > 600 but less than 719, we get Phablet UI

using 170 as ro.sf.lcd_density: 800 * 160 / 170 = 752.9
    since 752 > 720 we get Tablet UI

this explains why the threshold on our device is between 177 and 178

original source code:
    Code:
            // SystemUI (status bar) layout policy
            int shortSizeDp = shortSize
                    * DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEFAULT
                    / DisplayMetrics.DENSITY_DEVICE;

if (shortSizeDp < 600) {
                // 0-599dp: "phone" UI with a separate status & navigation bar
                mHasSystemNavBar = false;
                mNavigationBarCanMove = true;
            } else if (shortSizeDp < 720) {
                // 600-719dp: "phone" UI with modifications for larger screens
                mHasSystemNavBar = false;
                mNavigationBarCanMove = false;
            } else {
                // 720dp: "tablet" UI with a single combined status & navigation bar
                mHasSystemNavBar = true;
            }
            }

Modification
    Given the code above, there should be many programmatic ways to force TabletUI:
    Editing the values of 600 or 719, removing the Phablet UI mid section, or just commentting everything out and set mHasSystemNavBar = true; mNavigationBarCanMove = false;...and plenty of other options

Current Alphas are hardcoded to
    Code:
    mHasSystemNavBar = true;

WindowsManagerService
    Click below for details regarding the source code to edit, and modifications for these releases

Changing the values above we enough to try and force the UI to use tablet features, but since the Nexus 7 uses tvdpi (same as google TV when displaying 720p) with a fallback to xhdpi, SystemUI did not contain the requisite framework files (xml and pngs) and was force closing. Further, the sizing was mapped to the sw600 folders, which do not contain any of the tablet pngs/xmls.

Thus, we needed to edit the code that defined what the minimum screen size was to force apps to show in tablet form.

original source code:
    Code:
    private void computeSizeRangesAndScreenLayout(boolean rotated, int dw, int dh,
                float density, Configuration outConfig) {
            // We need to determine the smallest width that will occur under normal
            // operation.  To this, start with the base screen size and compute the
            // width under the different possible rotations.  We need to un-rotate
            // the current screen dimensions before doing this.
            int unrotDw, unrotDh;
            if (rotated) {
                unrotDw = dh;
                unrotDh = dw;
            } else {
                unrotDw = dw;
                unrotDh = dh;
            }
            mSmallestDisplayWidth = 1
    Downloads

An now on to the part folks care about, please read the below in full

Credits:
    I want to thank +aaronpoweruser, +lithium76, +cdesai for all their help and coding guidance; +Racer Of All for the zips; +the3dman for the Launcher2 fix, +z1gackly and +Nark.GA60 for their help with the CM10 patch, +Rsotbiemrptson for the odexed version

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for damaging your brand new nexus 7. Do not do this if you're not willing to brick it. Usage of the following files can cause a rift in the time-space continuum, the appearance of 20 foot android monsters in your town, turn your first-born into slime, change the gender of your significant other, tsunamis on mars, etc etc etc

Pre-requisites:
    1. This is designed for Stock or AOSP JRO03D or Based CM10 (tested on Sep 6 nightly). Many folks are trying other roms that will either not boot or work. Please use the search above for your rom name before posting. Note: My development will focus on a patch to AOSP. I'm more than willing to work with devs on their roms, but the information above should suffice for them to bake the tweaks in however they want to.
    2. You SHOULD BE DEODEXED. If you don't know what that means, then you likely aren't - so run a deodexer like mine or do it yourself . Update: Sept 7 - Rsotbiemrptson released a odexed version post 514
    3. You MUST WIPE CACHE AND DALVIK. Formatting system and data/factory reset is not needed

READ BEFORE FLASHING List of Issues / Add Bug Reports:
    Please report your issue here with all the information above.
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Aq1C5kjO0c_tdDFrbWVsOF9ROXJOblNFVzFYR29CQkE

Latest Downloads:
    10/11 - CM10 Nightly - credits z1gackly and Nark.GA60 post 534
    Download: goo.im

8/1 - Alpha 3 for STOCK ROM JRO03D: fixed launcher (patch Launcher2.apk), adds lockscreen rotation (patch framework-res.apk)
    Download: Mirror 1 Mirror 2
    Alpha3 creates a backup during install, restore using the following script: Mirror 1
    Issues Resolved: Patched Launcher has huge borders on bottom/top fixed
    Note: these new changes will likely cause compatibility issues with CM/AOKP roms and customized roms. Alpha 1 may be better for you

Reporting Issues:
    Many people are not fully reporting problems. If I don't have enough details, then it's very hard or impossible to help.
    Please provide:
    Rom: (e.g. Stock version JRO03D, JRO03H, j5, etc) - this is found in system/about tablet
    Kernel: stock or modified - this is found in system/about tablet (you will know if you modified it)
    Issue Description: Exact issue, exact error message, steps to replicate, screenshot (power + vol down at same time) for visual issues. Words like 'many', 'a lot', 'often' are not helpful. If there were a lot of issues then it wouldn't have been released. If you are on another rom/kernel, please verify that any play store issues are not sourced by that rom/kernel combo first without the mod.
    Bootloops, Crashes: I *need* a logcat - see my signature

Next Steps:
    - Settings toggle (WIP)
    - Hybrid UI (stock UI in portratit, tablet in landscape)

Prior Versions:
    7/26 - Alpha 2 - thank you +Racer Of All
    MD5: 1c85cc5fe772f687ce9beaa8dab57130
    Issues Resolved: credit the3dman - Stock launcher width is too long due to mods and cause overscan of ~half icon on either side. Use Apex, Nova, Go Launcher.

7/21 - Alpha 1 released - thank you again +Racer Of All
    MD5: dbf20c71544dc19ac87c5d59a03c6f12

Alpha 1 does make a backup of your original files, if something goes wrong, flash the zip below to restore the files:
    Mirror 1 Mirror 2

Screenshots
    2CpJE.png
    j47r7.png
    Ggbbs.png

jLRI7.png

pfChC.png
    Patch for 4.2 Stock Odex

Here is a patch for 4.2 stock odex and deodexed, plus ones to revert. This doesn't include a modded launcher.

Rsotbiemrptson
    Zips for stock 4.1.1

Hello,
    I would like to say thanks for your work, it has brought my N7 much needed changes. I had to modify the files as I am still running stock 4.1.1(JRO03D odexed). I have it working for non deodexed roms incase anyone that hasn't flashed a custom rom wants to try it. I have also uploaded a zip to revert back to stock just incase. Both can be flashed through recovery, wipe cach and dalvik after flashing.

TabletUI
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/e63uj4l2tynfrfc/TabletUI.zip?m
    StockUI
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/27btzfayophnd9h/StockUI.zip?m

Rsotbiemrptson
    4.2.1 Patches

Hello,
    Here are the patches for 4.2.1.

Rsotbiemrptson