CyanogenMod 10 JB Discussion/User Thread

Search This thread

Utacka

Inactive Recognized Developer
Apr 19, 2012
Stockholm
www.utacka.se
Entropy has made a commit on gerrit and I think its related to this.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using xda premium

Actually its http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/23580/ that Espen has been working hard on that entropy512 changes reflect too. Fixed hwcomposer and memleak, I suppose. Still in review but no longer WIP as it was a week ago. Cherry-picking should work for those trying this, I guess.

Skickat från min GT-N7000 via Tapatalk 2

jaiiscool

Jan 30, 2008
Mumbai
jaiparekh.com
Actually its http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/23580/ that Espen has been working hard on that entropy512 changes reflect too. Fixed hwcomposer and memleak, I suppose. Still in review but no longer WIP as it was a week ago. Cherry-picking should work for those trying this, I guess.

Is this commit included in any of your builds?

kitrax59

Dec 11, 2011

I would be ecstatic if you cherry pick this and make it work on your next build!!! :D

androidindian

Nov 16, 2010
New Delhi

Just spoke to espenfjo, and memory leak + video graphical glitches are fixed, but as far as butter project hwcomposer goes.. this is what he mentioned: "There are stille some hwcomposer issues that is present. We will have to discuss what we should do."

so lets wait and see if the latest changes would be merged soon or if they will fix on the butter project and then merge. thanks a lot mate! :)

Reactions: AA1973 and StNickZA

toxicthunder

Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
yeah it'd probably require Entropy and other devs to be simultaneously online I guess, so that they can discuss these things out.

ahalford

Sep 24, 2011
עץ החיים

Hwcomposer - may be, memory leak - I hardly beleive. Just a leaked I9305 (SGS3 LTE) GPU drivers. Anyway should be very good commit.

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY
Hi Entropy512,

Thank you for your work on CM9 and CM10. I really appreciate the time and effort you have spent. For the last year I have been keeping a track of (and using) CyanogenMod on the Note and curiousity prompts me to ask a question of you if it's not too much trouble (or impertinent): what drives you (or any dev) to spend effort doing this? Is it for the challenge, the pleasure that you derive working on the kernel?

As a full-time software engineer myself (and also an Android app developer), sometimes the last thing I want to do when I get home is to check the bug reports and support emails. I have become wary of adding new features simply because of the time that gets eaten up. I am really curious about those who give of their free time to the community.

Thanks.
It started as personal hacking just to tweak my own device, to some degree as a learning experience. Keeping my mind sharp, so to say. It's also a great software development learning experience. In my day job I'm a hardware guy/systems engineer although I work closely with embedded software developers - for me, a lot of this is about learning new hardware.

If I did this stuff for a living I'd probably hate it with a passion. (There's the answer, again, for those saying Samsung or Google should hire me.) To some degree I get bound by a sense of moral duty to stay with some devices I should just throw into a wall, but sometimes when you make a breakthrough with those it's exhilarating (like Bluetooth on Infuse).

That said I'm rapidly approaching burnout... I'm likely to easymode it on a Nexus doing minimal work, and/or returning to what I really wanted to do when I was hacking kernels, more highly experimental work. I've had a project (reducing suspend/resume power consumption cost) I haven't been able to even think about in months.

yeah it'd probably require Entropy and other devs to be simultaneously online I guess, so that they can discuss these things out.
Yeah, and this is always a problem. Usually I'm heading to work when espenfjo and codeworkx are awake, and when I get home from work, they're sleeping.

Hwcomposer - may be, memory leak - I hardly beleive. Just a leaked I9305 (SGS3 LTE) GPU drivers. Anyway should be very good commit.
Memleak - almost definitely fixed. Mali r2p4 drivers + gralloc leak like crazy on AOSP for some reason, r3p0 works far better. My build (only on my device right now...) and espen's are still using ics hwcomposer though, and it's highly likely we'll be stuck there. Opensource hwc has never worked quite correctly. This is really the root of codeworkx's anti-Exynos rant.

I think that these aren't related with our main problem.
Correct. Those fix minor memleaks elsewhere, not the massive gralloc leak from hell.

Last edited:

roymustafa

Sep 6, 2010
Baku
The latest CM10 with HydraCore v5.3 kernel made my Note soooo faster and smooth...

iLLuSi0ne

Jul 12, 2012
What about the memory leak? Is it really solved?

※「POPPEL」 ※ con il suo inseparabile Galaxy Note | Sempre assetato di flash ※

iLLuSi0ne

Jul 12, 2012
No, it's not so difficult my teacher... But English isn't my first language and not ever I'm able to understand at 100%. But anyway... I've read on the changelog that the problem was fixed but a some friends of mine have noticed lags after 3h of intensive use. Is it normal? Many thanks

※「POPPEL」 ※ con il suo inseparabile Galaxy Note | Sempre assetato di flash ※

toxicthunder

Mar 24, 2012
New Delhi
Cheers to the days when there were no (over)smart phones and we happily lived with our monochrome nokias :rolleyes:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    BTW, I think I finally made the breakthrough we needed with graphics.

I'll do a test build sometime in the next couple of days, MAYBE tonight... But I'm seriously fried so it could be a few days.

Anyone who needs Bluetooth or wifi tethering - you've got a while to wait for 4.2.
    most of the patches in these builds are kernel related, hence trying hydra with these builds wont work well.
    the kernel which comes with these builds are amazing and smooth. Entropy's build is freakin smooth!
    "won't work well" is an understatement. "won't boot at all" is more like it. Mali r3p0 blobs require an r3p0 kernel

Yup entropy's built is just a bit smoother.not sure if its more battery consuming.
    I'm 90% positive at this point hydra was sacrificing battery for performance... Only way it was smooth prior to the mali transition was if you threw lots of CPU at it. Now it offloads more to the GPU.

Attached are both blob and opensource hwcomposers. Please compare, looking at both performance and whether the OS one fixes/adds any graphical glitches.

Blob hwcomposer will work with any build (but makes zero difference if flashed on a nightly, nightlies use the same file)
    Opensource will ONLY work with "new Mali" test builds like my test build and StNick's for N7000, mine for I777, and espenfjo's for I9100.

These should work with any "new Mali" builds for Exynos 4210 devices.

This file is really the only difference between my build and StNick's, other than:
    http://review.cyanogenmod.com/#/c/23993/ (Yeah, forgot to mention it has some test fixes for the rare RILJ wakelocks sometimes encountered)

Edit: More test candidates including "no hwcomposer" at http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=32212994&postcount=818

Some good news, a lot of that work was done on an N7000. :)

But there's a ****-ton still broken. IMO it doesn't seem to be as consistently smooth as 4.1 was (and we all know that wasn't exactly in the best shape...), video playback is broken, and most likely, for it to have any hope of working will require using broken mali blobs that have all sorts of weird artifacts.

Probably won't be much more news in the next few days, we're all fried now and I think we're all doing non-CM things for a few days. :)
    So people are posting all the non-dev stuffs on the original development thread
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1796217

Lets better discuss issues other than development here.
    Keep that thread clean :good:
    Post all JB related stuffs here. :highfive:

** Official nightlies are out

1) Latest version , preview 5 now available ; check thread for download.

2) A more detailed installation guide to flash JB with a video guide too

3) Hybrid Paranoidandroid ROM based on CM10 JB preview #4 - go here

4) All JB latest kernel's can be found here

5) What's great in Jelly bean ?

6) CM 10 on Galaxy Note video preview

7) CM 10 , unofficial latest nightlies by Utacka and mnm1992

8) And more custom JB ROMs available including AOKP, so just look around and post your fav ;)
    The preview 3 had been released on 3rd aug, and it's been so many days since then, also there have been bug fixes and other improvements.

So a question - are we going to see the preview 4 or are we going straight to nightly builds now. Thanks for the jb rom cyanogen mod team

I'll release a new preview tomorrow. I was expecting nightlies sooner, but seems like there's some more time.