Or Continue to Thread: HTC Flagship 2012 - HTC One X …
Find Your Device:
27th September 2012, 12:49 PM   |  #7729  
OP Recognized Contributor
Beirut
Thanks Meter: 14,033

21,542 posts
From the lab: Lumia 920 low-light shootout with Nokia 808, iPhone 5, HTC One X and Galaxy S III - REVISITED

I took the originals from Engadget's Zip file posted here, original article here

I've placed all the images on my One X and used the gallery's auto enhance feature to fix the iPhone5, One X and SGS3 images, just one click on auto enhance, i did nothing else, i left the 920 as is

What really matter is the amount of details captured by the camera, levels can be quickly fixed on the phone itself using the HTC Sense gallery, unlike what Engadget said, you don't need Photoshop, the gallery is actually linked to the camera app

Let me know which one is really better, the One X or the iPhone5? also its clear the SGS3 captures the least details

The Lumia used a 4.7x slower exposure time in the first test, the second boat test got the same results, the Lumia results are really amazing however i noticed the other images posted in the zip had a lot of motion blur

I remain convinced the i4s/i5 has the same sensor as the One X, its just the algorithm that is different, apple favors median while htc favors sharpness, the only difference is the iPhone5 automatically auto-enhances the image, it takes 2 medians and 1 gaussian blur on Photoshop to match the i5 noise suppression

Lumia 920 - original

One X + HTC gallery auto enhance:

iPhone 5 + HTC gallery auto enhance:

One X + Photoshop: Levels, 2x median, 1x gaussian, .25 saturation = almost exact as the iPhone

SGS3 + HTC gallery auto enhance:

and now the original One X image as posted by engadget!

ok now the fun part, meta data from the images:

Pureview 808
3264x2448
F-stop f2.4
Exposure Time 1/3sec
ISO-1250
Focal Length 3mm

Lumia 920
3264x2448
F-stop f2.0
Exposure Time 1/3sec
ISO-800
Exposure bias 0 step

One X
3264x2448
F-stop f2.0
Exposure Time 1/14sec (4.7x faster)
ISO-1250

Exposure bias +1.2 step
Focal Length 3mm
Max aperture 1.515

iPhone 5
3264x2448
F-stop f2.4
Exposure Time 1/15sec
ISO-2500
Focal Length 4mm
Metering Pattern
35mm focal length 33

SGS3
3264x2448
F-stop f2.6
Exposure Time 1/17sec
ISO-800
Exposure bias 0 step
Focal Length 4mm
Max aperture 2.76
Metering Average

Conclusion:
The lumia is most impressive, its what you expect from f2.0, the One X has 2.0 but seems the configuration is failing to get the same results, however notice how the Lumia actually needed much longer exposure time, 0.33 sec versus 0.07 sec, which means it doesn't use the same shutter speed as the one x which is the fastest in this test, many of the 920 images posted in engadget's zip file are actually motion blurred including the boat image, with such exposure time difference the comparison is not really fair, the question is can it fight the One X fast shutter? or are we back to motion blurred pictures? the iPhone is working extra, it actually called ISO 2500 for this shot then automatically masked noise with heavy median and blur, the SGS3 is hopeless in this test

Bottom-line despite using f2.0 HTC still favored shutter speed over everything else with their configuration on the One X and we all know why, the super speedy burst feature is extremely useful in daily use and insures you don't get useless motion blurred snaps from your smartphone. Equally HTC favored sharpness over heavy use of median and noise cancellation, instead you are provided with an extremely useful yet fast auto-enhance and other editable filters available in the gallery.
Last edited by hamdir; 5th March 2013 at 02:31 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hamdir For This Useful Post: [ View ]