[Q] CIFS modules for JB

Search This thread

HeartWare42

Jul 17, 2012
Bagsværd
www.heartware.dk
You can use the attached modules. I tested them with CifsManager on 10.4.4.16 JB and the worked for me...:D

They work fine here, too. But it took a while to figure out how to enable it.

For other people, the steps I took was as follows (all quotes are for clarification purposes only and should not be entered in settings):

1) Download the files above.
2) Unpack them to your internal SD card
3) Use a root file explorer to copy both the extracted files to "/system/lib/modules" (remember to enable R/W access to system partition and to disable it afterwards)
4) Download and install CIFS Manager.
5) Run it and allow it to gain root access
6) Go to CIFS Manager's settings and enable the following options:
7) Enable "Load cifs module"
8) Enable "Load via insmod"
9) Edit the option "Path to cifs.ko[:<modpath>]" to say "/system/lib/modules/cifs.ko:/system/lib/modules/md4.ko"
10) Disable "Load cifs module"
11) Enable "Load cifs module"
12) Go back to main screen of CIFS Manager
13) Pull up the menu and select "About..."
14) Click on "Modules..." and verify that both cifs and md4 are listed as "Live".

You might be able to use another directory to load the modules from - that, I haven't tried.

When you need to create a new link:

1) Run your root file explorer and create the link directory in /mnt/cifs/<MountName>
2) Then run CIFS Manager, pop up its menu and "Add new share"
3) Enter the value "<ServerIP>/<ShareName>" in option "Share path"
4) Enter the directory you created in step 1 above
5) Enter your user credentials in the "Username" and "Password" fields
6) Press "Save Share"

The share should now be listed in your list of shares. Click on the share you want to mount and it should be mounted at the specified mount point.

Last edited:

mp1405

Oct 12, 2007
Last edited:

pileot

Oct 16, 2010
Thank you, works great.

You are now my hero of the week. :D

---------- Post added at 07:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:38 PM ----------

Say thank you AND give him a "Thanks" please. (by pressing the Thanks button)

Or dont say thanks just hit the button. The reason there is a thank you button is because threads get too full of thank you posts, people couldnt see useful content because of the spam.

Leaving all that behind, someone mind explaining what all this is about? What are CIFS modules?

MarioGirotti

Apr 24, 2011
Hessen
Or dont say thanks just hit the button. The reason there is a thank you button is because threads get too full of thank you posts, people couldnt see useful content because of the spam.

Leaving all that behind, someone mind explaining what all this is about? What are CIFS modules?

Cifs (Common Internet File System) support is needed to mount Windows or Samba shares under Android.
If Cifs support is not compiled as feature into your the kernel you can load Cifs support later at any time if you have a kernel module available for cifs support. Since Asus did not delivere Cifs support with their kernel we have compiled the corresponding kernel module from the original kernel sources

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app

Reactions: johnlgalt

kosmarnik

Jan 8, 2009
It's working yay.
But horribly slow :(
On par with Es explorer. Unusable for watching videos.
1.5-3 Mbit,a few peaks at 5Mbit.

Using the same router for downloads from the net, gives me sustained 10Mbit (my net
connection speed).

Could you recommend another way to access my shares?

calisro

Sep 9, 2008
noneya
It's working yay.
But horribly slow :(
On par with Es explorer. Unusable for watching videos.
1.5-3 Mbit,a few peaks at 5Mbit.

Using the same router for downloads from the net, gives me sustained 10Mbit (my net
connection speed).

Could you recommend another way to access my shares?

Mount the volume with the options 'noatime,nodiratime' That may help. It did for me for at least browsing my volumes (expected) but not sure if it will help for streaming. Anyway, give it a go. If your using cifs manager there is a options box to enter them in. or you can make it part of hte mount command if your doing it that way manually.

Reactions: johnlgalt

fredoman

Apr 14, 2012
Works also for Clean Rom

It might be obvious for the experts, but in case that other noobs like me are reading here and are afraid to ask : the cifs module works also perfectly with Clean ROM 2.5.5.

codysydney2

Apr 13, 2011

For other people, the steps I took was as follows (all quotes are for clarification purposes only and should not be entered in settings):

1) Download the files above
3) Use a root file explorer to copy both the extracted files to "/system/lib/modules" (remember to enable R/W access to system partition and to disable it afterwards)
4) Download and install (removed)
9) Edit the option "Path to cifs.ko[:<modpath>]" to say "/system/lib/modules/cifs.ko:/system/lib/modules/md4.ko"
14) Click on "Modules..." and verify that both cifs and md4 are listed as "Live".

You might be able to use another directory to load the modules from - that, I haven't tried.

1) Run your root file explorer and create the link directory in /mnt/cifs/<MountName>
6) Press "Save Share"

The share should now be listed in your list of shares. Click on the share you want to mount and it should be mounted at the specified mount point.

Brilliant. Working on a stock 4.1.1. And I went through hell to get there, rooted, unlocked, bricked by using the wrong cifs (put me into a reboot loop I couldn't escape from), debricked, gave up for a week, started looking again today and was trying to figure out if I needed a tweaked ROM, kernel, or both - then I found your post and it turns out I had covered everything I needed to, I just didn't have some of the details right.

I don't really have a use for this but knowing it could work and that the only constraint to such cool technology was my lack of understanding, was not an acceptable situation. In other words thanks for resolving my latest OCD obsession :)

jelinek.01

Mar 3, 2008
Hello, is there please somebody, who succesfully compiled CIFS and MD4 modules for JB 4.2.1?
I've tried, but all I was able to produce using different toolchain versions was either "uncompatible exec format" message, or instant reboot.
Which toolchain version should I use for compiling for JB4.2.1?
Thanks

Sent from my Asus TF700 using TapatalkHD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can use the attached modules. I tested them with CifsManager on 10.4.4.16 JB and the worked for me...:D

1) Download the files above.
    4) Download and install CIFS Manager.

6) Press "Save Share"

hi,

how can get or compiled cifs.ko and md4.ko modules for 10.4.4.16 JB ?

You can use the attached modules. I tested them with CifsManager on 10.4.4.16 JB and they worked for me...:D
    hi,

how can get or compiled cifs.ko and md4.ko modules for 10.4.4.16 JB ?

Cifs (Common Internet File System) support is needed to mount Windows or Samba shares under Android.
    If Cifs support is not compiled as feature into your the kernel you can load Cifs support later at any time if you have a kernel module available for cifs support. Since Asus did not delivere Cifs support with their kernel we have compiled the corresponding kernel module from the original kernel sources

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using xda app-developers app
    It would be great if somebody could post a compiled nls_utf8.ko

Thanks'

nls_utf8 support is included already in the kernel:

CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y

Anyhow I compiled it again as module (see attachment). At least the module was loadable on my side