[APP] OblyTile - Tile Creator for all programs.

Search This thread

fredphoesh

Jan 15, 2009
Thanks for your quick response, But can you explain me what is Program Argument? What can that do and how you can find out program argument's data for application?
I am a noob.

Hi

Open OblyTile, and for example if you want to create a RESTART tile:

you must type shutdown.exe in the program path field
and type -r -t 00 (note the spaces!) in the argument field.

Add a name for the tile, choose your image and create it... done.

Mark

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Hi,
I'm getting an issue where all the OblyTiles appear as the Run icon.

I had that too this morning... lasted for about 2 minutes. I started oblytile from the start screen, and also irfanview, then went back to the start and the icons were back to normal... odd.

D-m-x

Apr 28, 2011
Germany
@Clever Name: Yeah, i have the same Problem since i have booted up my Computer 5 Minutes ago. Maybe some sort of Windows Update?

Edit: Ok, my bad. Just open OblyTile and press the 2nd Button on the top, so it rebuilds the cache.

Last edited:

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Hi

Try to do this:
  • Set IE as predefinite by using the Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs
  • Run OblyTile as Administrator
  • Click the Rebuild Cache button
  • Create a tile
  • (Optional) Check if the tile has been created
  • Set your favorite web browser as predefinite by using the Control Panel -> Default Programs -> Set Default Programs
  • Run OblyTile as Administrator
  • Click the Rebuild Cache button
  • Create a tile

Hope this helps

Argony.

Last edited:
Reactions: jmuurling

Revilo62

Feb 23, 2012
God I'm in love with this program.

Random recommendation that is driving me a little insane.
I don't see a way to edit a tile that is already there. When I'm making all my icons I don't always test whether an app is working and it gets annoying when I have to go re enter all the addresses of all the files needed just to make it work again. Would also love a viewer of all the apps to go with the option of editing them. Don't know if it's possible, but if so, it'd be totally awesome to add in.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
God I'm in love with this program.

Random recommendation that is driving me a little insane.
I don't see a way to edit a tile that is already there. When I'm making all my icons I don't always test whether an app is working and it gets annoying when I have to go re enter all the addresses of all the files needed just to make it work again. Would also love a viewer of all the apps to go with the option of editing them. Don't know if it's possible, but if so, it'd be totally awesome to add in.

Hello

The new version of OblyTile will be disponible today, with a basic tile editor, and a basic "shortcut to tile" function.

Here's a little preview:
View attachment 1471179

Argony

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I can't seem to run my .bat file as administrator? The UAC prompt doesn't come up.

Hello

I made some changes to the Run as administrator function.
If your Bat file is placed inside the Windows folder, you will not be able to put the administrator key to the registry.

Hope this helps

Argony

shokwaav

Aug 23, 2010
Hello

I made some changes to the Run as administrator function.
If your Bat file is placed inside the Windows folder, you will not be able to put the administrator key to the registry.

Hope this helps

Argony

Hm, where should I put it then? It's not in my Windows folder though, its on my desktop.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Hm, where should I put it then? It's not in my Windows folder though, its on my desktop.

Now that you make me think about it, the run as administrator regkey is not usable with Bat files, so, you must do something like this:
1) Create a shortcut
2) Right-click the new shortcut, and then click Properties.
3) On the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button.
4) Run as administrator
Note: The administrator UAC will prompt only from the shortcut, not the original bat.

So, in conclusion you can't start a bat file as administrator with OblyTile, i'll see what i can do to fix the problem :good:

Argony

Reactions: shokwaav

shokwaav

Aug 23, 2010
Now that you make me think about it, the run as administrator regkey is not usable with Bat files, so, you must do something like this:
1) Create a shortcut
2) Right-click the new shortcut, and then click Properties.
3) On the Shortcut tab, click the Advanced button.
4) Run as administrator
Note: The administrator UAC will prompt only from the shortcut, not the original bat.

So, in conclusion you can't start a bat file as administrator with OblyTile, i'll see what i can do to fix the problem :good:

Argony

How do I select the shortcut through Oblytile? It always links me to the .bat file when I select the shortcut.

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
Last edited:
Reactions: shokwaav

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
is there anyway we can have no background color for small-ish icons? As in, transparent?
As far as i know, there's no way to put transparent color for the small tiles, it can be done with normal shortcuts, but not with "modern ui" shortcuts.

If i will ever find a way to do it, i will add it.

Argony

Last edited:

Princess Ana

Jun 15, 2007
Hello

The new version of OblyTile will be disponible today, with a basic tile editor, and a basic "shortcut to tile" function.

Here's a little preview:
View attachment 1471179

Argony
I must be doing something wrong.

0.8.2 worked for me, though I have to log over to my admin account every time I want to remove a tile.

With 0.8.6, the tiles i create won't show up anywhere except in the tile manager.

It's... really not ideal to have to keep logging between accounts, so I've gone back to 0.8.2 for now :/

Any suggestions?

ezio84

Oct 18, 2009
Giovinazzo (Bari)
Sleep Computer:
Program Path: C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe
Program Argument: powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState 0,1,0
Standby shortcut can't work if you don't disable hibernation with powercfg -hibernate off.

If you want hibernation enabled but standby tile too:
- download Sysinternals suite (Click)
- extract psshutdown.exe where you want (e.g c:\standby);
- create the tile with OblyTile using these arguments:
Cattura.jpg

To hibernate just use this one (without arguments):
rundll32.exe powrProf.dll,SetSuspendState

Reactions: Argony-OT

Argony-OT

Sep 22, 2012
I must be doing something wrong.
0.8.2 worked for me, though I have to log over to my admin account every time I want to remove a tile.
With 0.8.6, the tiles i create won't show up anywhere except in the tile manager.
It's... really not ideal to have to keep logging between accounts, so I've gone back to 0.8.2 for now :/
Any suggestions?
Hello!

My idea is to put a little menu to switch beetween the users and manage their tiles, so to solve this problem, but before that, i need to know if the actual tile manager works.

Can you please check if the tile manager works on your Admin account?
This would help me a lot :highfive:

Standby shortcut can't work if you don't disable hibernation with powercfg -hibernate off.
If you want hibernation enabled but standby tile too:
- download Sysinternals suite.
- extract psshutdown.exe where you want (e.g c:\standby);
- create the tile with OblyTile using these arguments:
To hibernate just use this one (without arguments):
rundll32.exe powrProf.dll,SetSuspendState
Thanks your for this tip! :good:

Argony.

Princess Ana

Jun 15, 2007
Hello!

My idea is to put a little menu to switch beetween the users and manage their tiles, so to solve this problem, but before that, i need to know if the actual tile manager works.

Can you please check if the tile manager works on your Admin account?
This would help me a lot :highfive:

Thanks your for this tip! :good:

Argony.
Thank you!

Yes, it works perfectly on my admin account! Would you be able to put in a way for me to unpin them without logging between accounts?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This program is meant to create tiles to the Windows 8/8.1 start screen.

I created it in vb.net using SharpDevelop, it works for all programs/folder/files/websites.

The program will store the image files inside the folder "C:\Program Files\OblyTile" and create the Shortcut .LNK file inside the StartMenu folder.

If you want to remove a Tile, right click it on the start screen/menu and select "Remove From Start" or select a tile on the OblyTile Created Tile list and press the recycle bin button located on bottom right of OblyTile.

OblyTile has support for command line, you can check the list of available commands by running OblyTile with the "/?" as argument.

To remove OblyTile and revert to default windows settings you have to run OblyTile as administrator and click the Remove button located in the settings menu [Click the Wrench icon on top of OblyTile to access the settings menu]

Note: Do not expect a Windows 10 version anytime soon. Why?

Old Versions:
    OblyTile v0.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.7/0.7.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.2 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.6 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.8.8 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.1 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.5 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.7 (ChangeLog)
    OblyTile v0.9.8 (ChangeLog)

Latest Version:
    OblyTile v0.9.9

ChangeLog:
    • [Win 8.1] Added ability to pin the Tiles at different Sizes when created/edited. [Via UI or Command Line Arguments]
    • [Win 8.1] OblyTile will now export and import tiles in correct order and size. [No groups]
    • Added "Desktop" in the QuickList.
    • New tiles will be shown with proper name and icon on Classic Shell. [32px icon only]
    • Enhanced the OblyTile "Remove" function. [You can find it in the Settings menu]
    • Tile exporter will create a new backup folder just in case you want to keep old backups.
    • Possible fix for the Browser/Home keyboard button not opening the correct web browser.
    • Possible fix for the loop issue that causes OblyTile to open itself multiple times. (Thanks to Steel Froggy)
    • Fixed issue with the tile preview showing double borders.
    • Fixed issue with the Windows Store Apps list not being able to create desktop/taskbar shortcuts for certain apps.
    • Fixed other minor stuffs.
    • Small changes to the UI. [Dpi, Transitions, Context Menu]
    Known Issues:
    • Make a backup of your tiles before upgrading from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1, you might lose your custom tiles during the process of upgrade. (Thanks to LLJKRevol)
    • Tiles which contain accented letters in the tile name can be edited only by OblyTile v0.9.8 and above.
    • In order to launch the Immersive mode of your web browser by using a tile made with OblyTile, be sure to close the desktop version of it.
    • If the Browser/Home button doesn't work properly, open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are not showed properly (a normal icon is showed) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • If the tiles are visible only on the "App" side of the start screen (Windows 8.1) open OblyTile and press the second button on top of OblyTile. (Rebuild cache)
    • Changing web browser will show multiple entry of Internet Explorer, Use "Set Default Programs" in Control Panel to change your default web browser and then press the Rebuild Cache button on OblyTile.
    • If "Rebuild cache" does not work, try >> this <<
    • In case of the error Microsoft.Win32.RegistryKey.ValidateKeyName or similar, try >> this <<
    • If the tile will not react when you click it (the program or file will not be opened) follow those steps VBScript - Fix
    • OblyTile does not work on some WinPE/WimBoot installations
    Tested on:
    Windows 8.1 Professional Build 9600 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8.1 Core Build 9600 - 64 Bit (Thanks to Timo)
    Windows 8 Professional Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Windows 8 Enterprise Build 9200 - 32/64 Bit
    Microsoft Surface RT 32GB /w Jailbreak (Thanks to netham45)

Use this program at your own risk.

md5 Hash:
    f54db82cdf8b1cf13430db43b743ad22

Download from:

Firedrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

OneDrive:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Mega:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

Dropbox:
    OblyTile v0.9.9.exe

App Images:
    View attachment 2877100 View attachment 2362073 View attachment 1837929 View attachment 1505786 View attachment 1404991 View attachment 1358506
    Current State of OblyTile on Windows 10

Hey all,

To start; I'd like to thank all of you over the past 3 years for the support you've given me and the appreciation towards the work I've done. I really can't tell you how much it means and the confidence it has given me to explore what I do and continue improving.

I am trying my best to find a way for OblyTile to work on Windows 10, however I have stumbled in to some compatibility issues and so far I haven't figured out a way around these and just wanted to make you all aware that it may not be possible for OblyTile to work on Windows 10.

I'll keep trying.

With that being said, any progression I make will be updated right here. Along with any news or other possible avenues for me to explore. But don't expect anything in the immediate future as MS have changed the OS from their first builds and these issues aren't small as what was possible, is no longer.

Thank you once again,
    Argony.
    Tile Set

Here is the set of tiles i have been creating.

This is what i call my over sized plain high contrast pack. +-70 Icons

Windows Tile Set

I am starting to work on a High Resolution Realism set. If you are going to use the set and you have some specific programs you wish to have done please just pm me.

Please Thank me if you like them.
    Hi, I've posted some screenshot of the evolution of my start page using OblyTile HERE, feel free to have a look if you'd like :)

Also, I've done a model for GIMP for creating tiles (including the right dimension of the image and the correct font and size of it) and a ZIP archives with the tiles i've created.

Some of them comes from a FANTASTIC metro UI tiles set that Devianart user ~dAKirby309 created. You can find the whole set HERE, check it out! The other ones are made by images of the games and the applications I own, searching 'em on Google Images.

Hope this helps the community! :)
    Great app! Makes Windows 8 worth while. One small suggestion though, It would be nice if it made a 30x30 image automatically from the 120x120 image (or just have it as an option).

New version released! (v0.8.8)

The function you request is included on this new version.

Infos and Download on main page