Or Continue to Thread: nexus has LTE
Find Your Device:
23rd November 2012, 02:22 PM   |  #209  
Thanks Meter: 263

444 posts
Donate to Me
More
So it's only a matter of time until someone starts a thread to investigate whether LTE Band 1 and 2 can be enabled (as Brian from Anandtech said, the physical hardware seems to be there).

I'd start by looking for settings which show unlocked bands (usually a hidden menu enabled with a dial code). It's possible that Bands 1 and 2 are software disabled (before the MDM9215 firmware).

For an FYI, NV Item 1877 shows enabled bands, and can be written to with DFS, QPST, or QXDM.

There may also be NV Items related to the different LTE Bands. The Bionic and Rezound were able to enable HSPA+ on 1900Mhz and AWS by altering item 1877. The VZW GSIII is trying to do it now.

You could also write LTE NV Items from another phone which has the MDM9215 and Band 1 or Band 2 LTE support.

This sounds like a fun little experiment that could potentially enable Band 1 and Band 2 LTE on the Nexus 4. If nothing else, it would increase knowledge of the device.

Happy hacking!

P.S. I'm a VZW GSIII guy (with a nice long contract ahead of me), but I'd help out. However I don't frequent the N4 forums. I just happened to stumble on this thread last night when I couldn't sleep. If you guys need anything, PM is probably the most efficient way to contact me.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mybook4 For This Useful Post: [ View ]